Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Storm Electric Fat Bike : $499 for a limited time

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Storm Electric Fat Bike : $499 for a limited time

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 02:26 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 654 Posts
The derailleur comes with its hanger which is bolted to the rear axle. Some big box bikes are (were) supplied with this system. Look at low end derailleurs (Amazon has them - Shimano Tourney RD-TZ50).

Last edited by 2old; 09-03-15 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-03-15, 03:20 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
The derailleur comes with its hanger which is bolted to the rear axle. Some big box bikes are (were) supplied with this system. Look at low end derailleurs (Amazon has them - Shimano Tourney RD-TZ50).
Sorry, but I'm not that familiar with low end stuff. Any bolt on derailer assumes that there is an area to bolt it on. These generally don't work on horizontal drop outs. Good in theory, but do you know of anyone who has done it on a frame for horizontal drop outs? Again, if you know of a solution, show us. You can see the link to the specific fyxation bikes product above, but it ain't a $75 solution.
Old 09-03-15, 04:12 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 654 Posts
Vincent asked if it was possible. I said that I've seen it done: actually, I converted my son's bike similarly about 20 years ago (at the time I couldn't locate a 20" bike with gears). Also, I stated it was PROBABLE that the Sondors could be converted, and THINK it can, but I don't own one and wouldn't put gears on it if I could (unless my granddaughter asked me to). The horizontal dropouts don't figure into the equation.
Old 09-05-15, 09:18 AM
brown79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Hey, I saw this really cool bike at Gizmodo web site athttps://www.gizmag.com/xterrain500-electric-fatb..., this bike can ride over soft sand. I think it looks cool..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHqa...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-05-15, 09:43 AM
brown79

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
elec bike

Yes, I think bike looks nice. It is not for sale yet, I heard it is coming soon to Indiegogo. ..."
Old 09-08-15, 04:22 AM
rick kimura

Bikes: repco MTB 26" + sram 2 speed automatix hub , road king cruiser 26" + lifepo4 48v x 12ah + 200w motor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey , im glad to be hearing the happy customers reports on their sondors ebikes , its good to know its been all worthwhile . I just watched the "XTERRAIN" bike on a florida beach and cant believe how similar the environment is to our gold coast beaches ,,,complete with sand vegetation and long beaches going on for eeeeeever ,,,! My fat tyre bike parts have all arrived for connecting up (throttle,controller,and LCD display) its now just a matter of joining it all up and she will be roadworthy . I have to say the quality of all the parts for the the money I paid was a good investment but you can decide when you see it posted up here soon I hope within the next 3 weeks .
Old 09-08-15, 11:41 AM
vincent713

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rick kimura
Hey , im glad to be hearing the happy customers reports on their sondors ebikes , its good to know its been all worthwhile . I just watched the "XTERRAIN" bike on a florida beach and cant believe how similar the environment is to our gold coast beaches ,,,complete with sand vegetation and long beaches going on for eeeeeever ,,,! My fat tyre bike parts have all arrived for connecting up (throttle,controller,and LCD display) its now just a matter of joining it all up and she will be roadworthy . I have to say the quality of all the parts for the the money I paid was a good investment but you can decide when you see it posted up here soon I hope within the next 3 weeks .
Please keep us updated with your fat tire build and include a lot of detail photos. We are eager to see how she turns out.
Old 12-22-15, 11:54 AM
vincent713

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update on the Sondors ebike: I ended up getting 2 since I was so impress by them. There are A LOT of aftermarket parts for this bike now and I've added an LCD display. I programmed it to go beyond 20mph and now has 5 level of PAS. It now goes 23mph top speed with throttle only and if I pedal, I can get it to go 28mph on flat ground. I also added an upgraded controller that can handle 48v, the stock controller can handle 48v but it's not as powerful as the upgraded (higher amp) one I got. So now it has faster acceleration and torque! My next upgrade will be a 48v triangle battery that will fit nicely inside the battery box. I've seen other Sondors owner done this and they said top speed increase to 27mph throttle only mode! This bike has so much potential and it's a blast to ride. All of the hype you're hearing about this bike is true, you guys should have jump on one on the Kickstarter campaign when they had it for only $499 + $193 shipping = $692.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fender.jpg (86.2 KB, 12 views)
fender2.jpg (98.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-23-15, 10:42 AM
chas58

Hey, I'm glad you are enjoying the bike. Sounds like you are having fun, but of course you don't have a $700 bike do you? Upgrading is fun, but some people would be better off spending the $2000 for your bike for a finished package. Different strokes for different folks.

Some of your claims sound a bit exaggerated. a 200 rpm motor isn't going to do much more than 20mph, no matter how much power you put through it. Would you mind explaining how you are pedaling a bike with that low of a gearing at 28mph? I don't see how that is physically possible with what you have told us (maybe there is a missing piece of the equation)?

Sounds like you have good plans for the bike. I've stated this almost a year ago, but a 48v 26mph version of this bike would be the bees knees!

Share a parts list with us, and let us know how your build goes! :-)
Old 12-23-15, 01:57 PM
vincent713

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Hey, I'm glad you are enjoying the bike. Sounds like you are having fun, but of course you don't have a $700 bike do you? Upgrading is fun, but some people would be better off spending the $2000 for your bike for a finished package. Different strokes for different folks.

Some of your claims sound a bit exaggerated. a 200 rpm motor isn't going to do much more than 20mph, no matter how much power you put through it. Would you mind explaining how you are pedaling a bike with that low of a gearing at 28mph? I don't see how that is physically possible with what you have told us (maybe there is a missing piece of the equation)?

Sounds like you have good plans for the bike. I've stated this almost a year ago, but a 48v 26mph version of this bike would be the bees knees!

Share a parts list with us, and let us know how your build goes! :-)
Who told you the motor is only 200rpm? This really shows your knowledge of the motor and I'm not saying I'm an expert EITHER. The truth is AGAIN when I installed an upgraded controller $42 (higher amp draw) along with the LCD $48 that was program to take off the speed limiter (20mph) it now does 23mph. I should state that I'm 150lb.
I would be happy to share parts and photos of my upgrades but when you call me a liar is where I draw the line. There are better ways to ask someone to share their build but calling them a liar is not one of them. Take my post for what it is and if you think I'm exaggerating then you are clueless. Remember I'm the one with the actual bike NOT YOU. I would advise you to do some research on this bike before you make any assumption. If you or anyone who is interested in this bike and want ALL the detail infos from upgrades, mods, speed, photos come join the Sondors Storm Owners Group on Facebook. There are over 3000 members and it's extremely active so you don't have to take my word for it.
Old 12-23-15, 04:23 PM
chas58

My friend, take a deep breath. I don’t think anyone here called you a liar. It’s clear you are enjoying your bike and have good plans for it. That is what this site is about – thanks again for sharing your experience.

There are just a couple of things that don’t seem to add up, unless I’m missing something. Maybe you can help with that, if you understand the technology behind the bike?

Let’s talk facts:
  • Last time I looked at the motor manufacturer’s web site, they stated that it was a 260rpm model. Do you have different information?
  • Increasing current increases torque, but not top speed (unless the motor and controller are mismatched).
  • A 260 rpm motor at 36 volts will give you about 20mph, and at 48v will give about 27mph. You can put any controller on there you want, it is the battery voltage that determines the maximum speed.
  • What is the gearing on your bike? I forget how many teeth are on the front and rear sprockets.

We are looking forward to hearing more about your build. What controller did you get for it? What battery are you thinking of getting?
Old 12-23-15, 06:28 PM
vincent713

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chas58 - I really want you and everyone interested in the Sondors to join us on Facebook, everyone is friendly and will answer any questions you might have. It's a lot more active there than here. You obviously doubt me so anything I say you will contradict me. Furthermore, there are members there that have more knowledge about technical matters than I am. You will blend right in, I welcome you and everyone. https://www.facebook.com/groups/StormOwnersGroup/

Attached Images
Max Speed.jpg (83.9 KB, 17 views)