Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

If your bike had tubular tires and OE, what does the bike have now?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: If your bike had tubular tires as OE, what does the bike have now?
Original equipment hubs and tubular compatible rims.
38.10%
Vintage hubs and tubular compatible rims, but not the same as original equipment.
21.43%
Original hubs with modern tubular compatible rims.
0%
Modern hubs with modern tubular compatible rims.
7.14%
Original hubs with vintage clincher compatible rims.
28.57%
Original hubs with modern clincher compatible rims.
9.52%
Modern hubs and modern clincher compatible rims.
19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

If your bike had tubular tires and OE, what does the bike have now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-15, 10:44 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
My bikes, that were originally equipped with tubular wheelset, have also received a second set of wheels for clicher tires. My Paramount had two wheelset when I owned it 35 years ago. My PX10 will have a rebuilt set of OE wheels with tubulars tires in addition to a wheelset for clinchers
Old 08-03-15, 11:18 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 2,233 Times in 1,113 Posts
I don't know what was original on any of my bikes when they were new, as they were all purchased used I have a bunch of tubular and clincher wheel sets too, so I checked a number of choices.

The Motobecane Le Champion (RIP in my storage unit) came with the unique Tipo hubs that look like Record. I purchased it used but I believe the PO swappe the tubular rims for Rigida 1320's, which I still have, plus a pair. I use to run the old Specialized Turbo 1" tires on them back in the day.

The '83 Colnago Superissimo was purchased used and came with Mavic 501 hubs and GL330 rims. Still have them, but I found a set of Campy LF with GP4's that are on it now. I don't know what was original or if the bike was built to order.

The '91 Pinarello has the original DA 7400 hubs with Open 4 CD rims.

The Bottecchia has Tipo hubs and Nisi clinchers.

The Masi Gran Corsa was a frame purchase and will likely get tubulars, a set of Chorus(?) hubs with Campy Omega Strada Hardox in the aero configuration.

The Trek 610 came with stock hubs and rims. The rear hub consumed the cone (Mallard Helicomatic) and is gone. One of the rims lost an spoke eyelet due to corrosion and the front wheel hub races are toast with questionable use of the rim. This bike is destined to have wheels, maybe even tubulars.

The Trek 760 was a work in process and came with Tipo hubs and red label Fiamme rims.

None of the wheels mentioned have the original tires. The only bike with original wheels and tires is a Firestone Cruiser II of unknown vintage that has Firestone tires and I assume tubes that still inflate!

Last edited by SJX426; 08-03-15 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-03-15, 11:28 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 569 Posts
Most of my bikes have tubulars. A couple still have their original tubular wheels.

Several (Look Bernard Hinault 753, Look KG86, Speedwell, Merlin) were sold as framesets, and usually built with tubulars, which is how they are now equipped or will be once finished.

I also have a couple bikes (Cilo Pacer, and Peugeot UE-8) that came with clinchers but I have either converted to tubulars or have a spare tubular wheelset for those bikes.

Only my MTB and Nishiki Competition are strictly clinchers.
Old 11-06-15, 12:21 PM
tlhart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have just started a rehab of a friend's (watch out, looking more and more like it will become mine ) 1969 Peugeot PX-10. He is downsizing and hasn't ridden it in over 15 yrs, I offered to 'fix it up' before sale.

Wheels (Normandy Luxe hubs laced to Super Champion Arc-en-Ciel rims) needed a bit of a true and cone adjustment but they spin very nicely now. Tore off the old disintegrating 21 mm Cyclepro tubulars and dry fit some lightly used gumwall Vittoria Corsas in 25 mm I had around... they look great on the bike.

Need to take a pic.
Old 12-27-15, 09:01 AM
leaping_gnome

Bikes: 1975 Eisentraut Ltd, 1995 Trek 7000 MTB, 2007 Masi Vincere, 1974 Masi GC, 1981 Specialized Allez, 1984 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by leaping_gnome
Counting my bikes that originally came with sew-ups:
Both of my Carlsbad Masis came with Campy Record SF and Martano rims, and I have both sets. But for most rides the 74 rolls on Dura-Ace EX/Uniglide 6-speed with Rigida 1324 Red Label rims. And the 75 rolls on Campy Record SF with Mavic MA40 rims.
My Tesch 101 rolls on Dura-Ace 7401 hubs and Mavic GP4 rims - although I bought it with Dura-Ace 7400 hub and Velocity Vector rims.
I can borrow a pair of the Campy/Martano wheels to put om my Eisentraut Limited for pictures because that's what it came with but right now it has the Dura-Ace 7400 hub and Velocity Vector rims.
My 86 Specialized Allez came with Dura-Ace 7400 with Saturae rims but currently has Ultegra TriColor hubs and Mavic Open Pro rims. I have a NOS set of Saturae tubular rims for building a wheel set with Specialized Stage Racing hubs when I find a set.
Finally, my Lotus Elan 75 originally came with Suntour Superbe Pro hubs and Araya Pro Staff tubular rims but I run it on Suntour Superbe Pro hubs and Araya Super Hard clincher rims.
IMG_5410 by Jim Harris, on Flickr
IMG_5240 by Jim Harris, on Flickr
Masi Martano by Jim Harris, on Flickr
I found a set of NOS Specialized Stage Racing hubs, they're gorgeous except they are 36h instead of 32h so they don't work for my HT-20 rims! I am still excited to finally have them.
IMG_5850 by Jim Harris, on Flickr
Jim

Last edited by leaping_gnome; 12-27-15 at 09:30 AM.
Likes For leaping_gnome:
Old 12-27-15, 09:07 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 913 Posts
My current one came as a frame only.
I tried a couple of different modern builds, 10-sp Campy, 10-sp Shimano.
When I went "back" to Suntour, I simply put modern tubular rims on the original GPX hubs.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-24-20 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 10:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7394 Post(s)
Liked 2,558 Times in 1,488 Posts
I paid my dues with tubulars years ago, and I don't care for them any more. I rode them long enough and far enough and fixed enough flats on them that I still have the skills but am not interested in exercising them. I decided to race on the track in 2014, so I built a modern Leader track frame into a racing bike.

In the middle of the summer, I decided to go a bit classier and bought a 1971 Raleigh Pro Track from @nlerner. The wheels as they lived on the Leader and now live on the Raleigh are fairly new Mavic hubs and rims with tubular tires. It made sense to me to ride tubulars on the track. I've ridden the bike on the street a bit, too. But I haven't ridden the bike at all since the racing season of 2014.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-27-15, 11:06 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
I don't like polls. They never allow the proper range of responses. Few even have a "none of the above" or "all of the above" option.

Original equipment (built by me) -

1st Generation Dura Ace high flange hubs
DT double butted spokes
Fiamme Red Label rims
Cotton-cased tubulars (I could never afford silk)

Current equipment -

Performance Cycles wheels with Performance-branded sealed bearing, low flange hubs (1985 vintage, now C&V in their own right)
Stainless steel DB spokes
MAVIC MA-20 clincher rims (still as true as the day I bought them)
Challenge Open Tubular (clincher) tires
Old 12-27-15, 11:16 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I considered tubular rims and tires for both the 1971 PX10 and the 1972 Paramount. I even had usable and period correct wheelsets for each. Eventually I decided not to spend additional money on a technology that I've never really liked. With modern lightweight high-performance open-tubular tires, the performance difference is insignificant to me. I also dreaded the thought of dealing with a flat tubular by the side of the road.
This 1972 Paramount got a set of vintage Mavic Module-E2 rims and Vittoria Open Corsa SC tires;

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-27-15 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 11:28 AM
GravelGuy

Bikes: Colnago Super, Giant, Waterford X11, Look 785 Huez, Merlin Titanium, in past times...Gitane Super Corsa, Ron Stout, Ciocc San Cristabal, Ciocc CX, Colnago Master, Pogliaghi TT, Crescent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
73 Colnago Super, depending on my mood and type of ride, Ultegra hubs, CXP30 rims, 28mm clinchers or Ultegra hubs, reflex rims, 24mm Vitoria Pave tubulars.