Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Why do you think Ebikes haven't caught on for bicycle commuters in North America?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Why do you think Ebikes haven't caught on for bicycle commuters in North America?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-16, 10:42 AM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hoodat
Because of my age and the poor balance after an operation I ride an Etrike. I think I can speak to why more people don't use this form. it's simply because trikes are associated in peoples minds with little old ladies.
Actually this format has many advantages for Those who commute or shop with them. You can carry a heavier load and not have to worry about balancing it. It's easy to toss a raincoat or jacket in back if the weather is unsettled. Trikes are more utilitarian than bikes but younger folks have preconceptions about them.
The "cool" factor is ever-present.

I have a small YouTube channel focused on motorcycling (6k subscribers), and get a lot of questions from new riders. And I cringe because rarely a week goes by without something like this....

"I really want bike X, but I won't look cool on it, so should I get bike Y?"

"I don't wear a helmet because I want to look like a bad-a$$" (That's an actual quote)

"Why would you ride brand X. People will only think you're cool if you ride brand Y/"

And so on and so forth. You're right, some will admit it, some wont; but people are pretty often swayed by perceptions of "cool".
Old 01-02-16, 10:47 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mr geeker
You want to know why E-bikes haven't caught on? it's simple, it falls under "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and E-bikes try to fix something that ain't broke. Instead of marketing them as a vehicle (as they should), they try and market them as a bicycle (which they are not). It's that simple, they are an electric moped.
Where to start . . .
1. Bicycles are vehicles for people are over the world.
2. e-bikes are bicycles. This is both determined in law, and in custom nearly everywhere except N. America where the cycling sports mentality prevails.
3. Something is broken, when I see people burning petrol and driving 2 tonne killing machines for, what amounts to, even the shortest of trips, I see something wrong.

§ 1512.2. [Amended]

2. Amend § 1512.2, to revise paragraph

(a) to read as follows:

(a) Bicycle means:

(1) A two-wheeled vehicle having a rear drive wheel that is solely humanpowered;
(2) A two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.
https://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/93295/low.pdf
Old 01-02-16, 10:59 AM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Might not be a popular opinion but, I don't think people are going to purchase eBikes as 'vehicles' either. Even if they are marketed as such. You're asking people to give up airbags, stereos, air conditioning, weather protection, and a whole host of other things. It's the responsible thing to do, of course; and for many of us, commuting by bicycle (or on foot) is a great solution. But I just don't think that telling someone that an electric bike is a bicycle, or telling someone that an electric bike is a 'vehicle' (though in the US, an electric powered bike or one powered by a 49cc or smaller IC engine is not a vehicle, legally) isn't going to change anything. The people who wouldn't ride them before still won't ride them.

Robert, I agree with you. Or how about circling parking lots (burning more fuel) like Sharks to try and get that spot closest to the door. Not only would we be healthier, we'd burn less fuel if we just beelined for that open spot in the back and walked to the door. The amount of time, effort and energy people will expend to be lazy is astounding!
Old 01-02-16, 01:21 PM
2old

Liked 865 Times in 654 Posts
I think that another big advantage of trikes is their aerodynamics. The only "negative" aspect (IMO) is their visibility from cars, trucks etc. It's already almost too dangerous to ride an upright bike in SoCal.

Originally Posted by hoodat
Because of my age and the poor balance after an operation I ride an Etrike. I think I can speak to why more people don't use this form. it's simply because trikes are associated in peoples minds with little old ladies.
Actually this format has many advantages for Those who commute or shop with them. You can carry a heavier load and not have to worry about balancing it. It's easy to toss a raincoat or jacket in back if the weather is unsettled. Trikes are more utilitarian than bikes but younger folks have preconceptions about them.
Old 01-02-16, 08:20 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[MENTION=67840]Robert C[/MENTION], you misunderstand. I have nothing against E-bikes, I was simply answering the question posed in this thread "Why do you think E-bikes haven't caught on for bicycle commuters in North America?". My answer was to point out that they are being miscategorized as a bicycle, that was whats broken.

I ride a bicycle as transportation, in all kinds of weather. In fact I don't own or drive a car, heck, I don't even have a license.

What cycling sports mentality? Are you saying that I think E-bikes don't count as a bicycle because of some form of elitist attitude? I'm sorry to burst your bubble but that is far from it. Its that they are an electric moped. Mopeds are a motorized bicycle too, yet they are most definitely NOT considered bicycles.

And I agree, there is something wrong with drivers circling parking lots like vultures just to get a parking spot closer to the building or just to go down the block and back.
Old 01-03-16, 10:30 AM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
IMHO they are just not practical for "most" people. They are great for exercise and making every bicycle ride enjoyable for those that don't want to push their physical limits when wind or hills block their path. As a 50-something that has had two surgeries over the last few years that ended a prior gym exercise routine, the eBike has got me back out exercising with a smile on my face from ear-to-ear.
Old 01-03-16, 11:31 AM
vincent713

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think for the most part it's affordability. A lot of people just can't afford ebikes, this is why we need to open the market and have more businesses selling ebikes. This will drive the price down and make it more affordable for the mass.
Old 01-03-16, 01:14 PM
2old

Part of the problem, at least in SoCal, is that until recently there were very few places to test ride an e-bike. That is changing slowly as at least two major concept stores, Specialized and Trek, are test marketing them and Pedego is increasing their presence. When individuals test ride a bike, it seems (TO ME) they start thinking of ways to use it since it's a lot of fun. Maybe that will lead to their considering them for commuting. Also, the new designations for e-bikes were effective January 1 and that may influence adoption. JMO as they say.
Old 01-03-16, 06:32 PM
hoodat

Bikes: Worksman Port o trike, Cozy cargo trike; both electric.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it would help if we had more ebike clubs with fun activities. There was an Etrike club here in San Diego but it seems to have gone dormant lately. I hope they can revive it. It's a great activity for old folks and handicapped.
Old 01-04-16, 02:34 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I see a lot comments in this thread about e-bikes in general. In creating the thread, I was hoping to see more comments that addressed e-bikes specifically for commuting. For me, my e-bike is used 90 percent of the time as a commuter... and it's an excellent commuter. The more I read posts about e-bikes, the more I realize that people aren't really using them as their main commuter. Yet, I believe that the Europeans buy their e-bikes mostly for transportation/commuting.
Old 01-04-16, 02:44 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
1/2 of all bikes sold in the US will be E-Bikes by 2025... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-42yRAJOZw
Old 01-12-16, 07:35 AM
hoodat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One problem with ebikes for commuting is their short range on a charge. If you want an ebike or trike with a range longer than 15 miles or so (especially if you have hills on your commuting route) you are talking some big bucks. Even my very ordinary trikes both ran about $1,800. You don't spend that much without some hard thought.
Old 01-12-16, 06:29 PM
dpe743

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who are these people that complain about the 20MPH speed limit saying they can get faster on a regular bike? When I was cycle commuting several years ago (tried it about once a week over a summer), I worked out daily in the gym at work for about a year to get in shape. On the 15 mile commute, I averaged about 12 MPH. I could get 15-16 on the flats for a bit (or I could pump as hard as I could and get 18 for a couple minutes), but my average was still 12. Even when you plot a cycling route on google maps, it estimates time based on around 12 MPH, so I was at least "average". (Of course, I was on a mountain bike at the time -- a good racing road bike would probably be faster, esp if I didn't have panniers or a back pack).
Old 01-12-16, 08:23 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by dpe743
Who are these people that complain about the 20MPH speed limit saying they can get faster on a regular bike? When I was cycle commuting several years ago (tried it about once a week over a summer), I worked out daily in the gym at work for about a year to get in shape. On the 15 mile commute, I averaged about 12 MPH. I could get 15-16 on the flats for a bit (or I could pump as hard as I could and get 18 for a couple minutes), but my average was still 12. Even when you plot a cycling route on google maps, it estimates time based on around 12 MPH, so I was at least "average". (Of course, I was on a mountain bike at the time -- a good racing road bike would probably be faster, esp if I didn't have panniers or a back pack).

I'm afraid I was one of them a few years ago, now I have revised my tune and think 20MPH cut off for assist is right. You want to go faster? No problem get an E-Bike/moped register it, insure it, ride it on the roads, but a legal E-Assist bike should cut out at 20MPH and not have a throttle, if you want to ride it where normal bikes are allowed...
Old 01-13-16, 06:21 AM
hoodat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you are in a race 20mph is plenty fast enough. Remember that if you get in an accident or take a tumble you are on your own. The only protection you have is whatever gear you are wearing. Chances are you and the bike will go in different directions. Would you jump out of a car going 20 mph? The result is about the same.
Old 01-13-16, 08:33 AM
OCDesigns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problem get an E-Bike/moped register it, insure it, ride it on the roads
I agree but you say that like it's easy (or even a possibility). I tried my best but our government insurance company states that to get registered anything over 500 watts need to be made completely from approved motorcycle parts. Don't you think that's a bit much for a 501 watt bike? You could easily drop a 400cc gas engine into most of my frames. There needs to be a moped category based on watts/hp. I ride a 3000 watt bike that stops/handles better than most any commercially available 500 watt bike but it still has less power than the average gas lawnmower.
Old 01-13-16, 11:31 AM
2old

I asked this on another site in a slightly different manner "How can e-bikes proliferate?"
No viable answers at this time.
If it happens, it will be a slow process; took a long time to get here; won't be changed rapidly.
What I'm hoping for SoCal, since I'd like to see them increase in scope even though it might mean more constraint from the constabulary, is that individuals will see riders having a good time (since they're "legal" in park areas) and consider them as a second car or use them, if only partially, in their commute.

Last edited by 2old; 01-13-16 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-26-16, 11:31 AM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
I see a lot comments in this thread about e-bikes in general. In creating the thread, I was hoping to see more comments that addressed e-bikes specifically for commuting. For me, my e-bike is used 90 percent of the time as a commuter... and it's an excellent commuter. The more I read posts about e-bikes, the more I realize that people aren't really using them as their main commuter. Yet, I believe that the Europeans buy their e-bikes mostly for transportation/commuting.
Originally Posted by 2old
I asked this on another site in a slightly different manner "How can e-bikes proliferate?"
No viable answers at this time.
If it happens, it will be a slow process; took a long time to get here; won't be changed rapidly.
What I'm hoping for SoCal, since I'd like to see them increase in scope even though it might mean more constraint from the constabulary, is that individuals will see riders having a good time (since they're "legal" in park areas) and consider them as a second car or use them, if only partially, in their commute.
Economic collaspe to third world status will do it. IMHO only bad enough times that make "commuting" by bicycle or eBike the only option you have...
Old 03-30-16, 02:35 PM
spinningmagnets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over 2015, the prices and selection for kits has gotten much better. These last few months, gasoline prices have been at their lowest in years. Soon, when gas prices spike up, the most popular kits will be sold out.

Whether you get an ebike or stick with commuting by car, the thing that will have a great and beneficial effect on your life is to move close to your work (ten miles or less?). Or, get a job close to your home.

The biggest reason most people don't consider an ebike is because; I still frequently run into people who still don't know they exist!

Start providing test rides, and some of them will buy.
Old 03-30-16, 03:06 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've been in the market to build an eBike. Cost is part of the reason I haven't bought a kit yet. It's not that the cost is too much, It's more that the kits are unproven. If you burn out your speed controller then its not going to be replaced by the manufacturer. You have to buy a new one. Many of the kits are sold without instructions and they often don't come with batteries. Right now there are too many risks and unknowns for me to want to spend that much money. I typically don't buy complete bikes and in this case I feel like the complete eBikes you can buy are way too expensive. Most of them are department store cruisers worth $200 with $500 worth of eBike parts but they're being sold for $2000+. Here is a prime example Pedego Ford Super Cruiser - NEW - FREE PREMIUM ACCESSORIES! :: Pedego Electric Bicycles :: Electric Bikes :: Electric Vehicle Mall That frame looks like something sold by Macargi for <$300 at Kohls.
Old 03-30-16, 04:12 PM
2old

You can get a very reliable 1000w, 48V kit (no battery) from ebay for $200 - $240 (read the reviews in endless sphere on YESCOM kits) and an excellent 52V battery with charger from Luna Cycles for about $400; the motor has been reported to survive for 20,000 miles, and the battery should be good for 800 cycles.
Old 03-30-16, 06:46 PM
350htrr

"Why do you think E-Bikes haven't caught on In N America"... Because N. Americans use cars for transportation... F' Cars how about 1 ton trucks with 4X4 for getting around in...
Old 03-31-16, 10:25 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by vincent713
I think for the most part it's affordability. A lot of people just can't afford ebikes, this is why we need to open the market and have more businesses selling ebikes. This will drive the price down and make it more affordable for the mass.
Cost, range and lack of infrastructure. A basic Honda motorcycle starts new at $3200, most ebikes are above that price. The motorcycle goes faster, has better range, and can be refueled. Beyond that there's very little cycling specific infrastructure in the US. If you have an e-bike, chances are you're riding on the same road as a motorcycle.

Other than the license/registration requirements for a motorcycle, it's frankly very difficult to see why a motorcycle isn't a better choice for commuting. Unless you specifically want the exercise, in which case, many people will not both with the cost of an ebike.
Old 03-31-16, 12:56 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
F' Cars how about 1 ton trucks with 4X4 for getting around in...
Yeah that's me. But have you seen Bay Area roads? I went from a Miata to an Element to a Tacoma 4X4 because the pot holes were eating me alive

Originally Posted by gsa103
Beyond that there's very little cycling specific infrastructure in the US. If you have an e-bike, chances are you're riding on the same road as a motorcycle.
And eBikes are not allowed on MUPs and possibly in bike lanes here in California. So you're out in traffic if you're concerned with rules. There is little enforcement. I was passed by an eBike going about 30mph on the bike path a while back.

Originally Posted by 2old
You can get a very reliable 1000w, 48V kit (no battery) from ebay for $200 - $240 (read the reviews in endless sphere on YESCOM kits) and an excellent 52V battery with charger from Luna Cycles for about $400; the motor has been reported to survive for 20,000 miles, and the battery should be good for 800 cycles.
But the kits come with no warranty or instructions

Last edited by eastbay71; 03-31-16 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-31-16, 01:44 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71
Yeah that's me. But have you seen Bay Area roads? I went from a Miata to an Element to a Tacoma 4X4 because the pot holes were eating me alive

And eBikes are not allowed on MUPs and possibly in bike lanes here in California. So you're out in traffic if you're concerned with rules. There is little enforcement. I was passed by an eBike going about 30mph on the bike path a while back.

As you can see, most, except the most powerful, ebikes are classed as bicycles in California and are permitted to use bicycle facilities.

But the kits come with no warranty or instructions
There is no way that I will deny this being a problem. It is worse because many bike shops will refuse to install the kits; or even do normal bike maintenance, on e-bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.