Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Enve Fork

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Enve Fork

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-16, 08:07 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enve Fork

I need to replace the fork on my 2014 Cannondale Evo Hi Mod.

LBS suggested an Enve 2.0. Does anyone have an Enve fork on a hi end frame and can comment on the replacement? Would the Enve be as good as the oem?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-16, 08:09 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,209 Times in 4,268 Posts
Enve makes good forks. Make sure the rake and other dimensions are the same as your stock fork.

Why do you have to replace it??
Old 01-09-16, 08:47 AM
DOS

Liked 70 Times in 57 Posts
Enve makes high end stuff across an array of components (forks, bars, posts, etc). I was recently shopping carbon forks to upgrade my cdale CAAD. Stood down when I discovered a crack in my frame but what I found was that Enve and Ritchey emerged as really as only options anymore in the aftermarket carbon fork space, with maybe 3T as an option as well but they are not as widely available. Even Easton seems to be moving away from forks since I found very little availability.

Enve seems to have more options by way of tapered steerer than Ritchey but are more expensive than Ritchey (you could go lighter and pricier if you go with Enve 1.0 over 2.0 by the way).

Does cannondale not offer replacement forks for their bikes? If you are dealing with an LBS that is a cannondale dealer, getting a fork from c,dale might be an option.
Old 01-09-16, 08:53 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Liked 1,895 Times in 1,078 Posts
Cannondale Forks : Road Forks

Old 01-09-16, 09:11 AM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You cannot go wrong with an ENVE road 2.0. Best fork IMO. I've been riding an original EDGE 2.0 on a Lynskey R320 for 8 years and it's only being replaced because I crashed into a vehicle at high speed (fork didn't even break, but is damaged to the point of replacement). ENVE Customer Service is absolutely top notch, cannot say enough good things about those folks, very friendly, responsive and helpful. They're giving me a replacement at a substantial cost savings too. Their warranty/crash replacement policy is excellent and they'll take care of you. Worth every single penny. Oh yeah, and the fork is something you'll never think about due to it's excellent ride quality. There's a reason a lot of high end manufacturers rebrand ENVE forks and sell with their frame sets.

To add, agreed on ensuring you get the correct rake, and if you go with ENVE, register your fork on their website after you get it. Also note you'll most likely need a new crown race.

Last edited by grahny; 01-09-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-09-16, 09:12 AM
sbxx1985 

Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Cervelo customer service thought the 43mm Enve 1.0 was an "excellent" choice to replace the supplied 3T fork on my 2009 R3SL during my WW phase. Many custom builders use the 2.0 and offer a 1.0 upgrade. It's good stuff.

Biggest problem will be whether it reasonably matches the frame. Decals are loud.
Old 01-09-16, 09:28 AM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I put an ENVE 2.0 on the Lynskey R240 I just built up. The bike handles beautifully and the fork appears to be very well made and stiff.
Old 01-09-16, 09:33 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
Seem to be other multiple options out there aftermarket. Buy Road Bike Forks Online at Ribble Cycles UK
Old 01-09-16, 09:52 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,180 Times in 7,598 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
Does anyone have an Enve fork on a hi end frame.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0005.jpg (98.9 KB, 144 views)
Old 01-09-16, 10:02 AM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the 1.0 still 1 1/8 only? Last time I looked at forks only 2.0 had taper options. Either way, there's a reason most of the custom bikes out there that don't have a made to order fork in the material of the frame spec an enve.
Old 01-09-16, 10:55 AM
noodle soup

Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Old 01-09-16, 12:50 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay thanks. My steering tube is cracked, hence the replacement.
Old 01-09-16, 01:05 PM
noodle soup

Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Okay thanks. My steering tube is cracked, hence the replacement.
Any idea how that happened?
Old 01-09-16, 01:17 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Any idea how that happened?
Sort of: a while back I put on a different stem that left the steering tube a bit lower than ideal. (The previous stem was slammed and the steering tube cut for that application.) So that may have added some stress. The LBS commented that the steering tube was a bit short for this stem. Also, I went down on the hammer ride last Saturday. It was a relatively benign fall as I had time to react to the bunch in front that went down. I veered off the road and fell in some dirt. I didn't think it was a big deal, but I did notice creaking after that incident, which turned out to be the steering tube issue.
Old 01-09-16, 01:26 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,310 Times in 563 Posts
Sort of: a while back I put on a different stem that left the steering tube a bit lower than ideal. (The previous stem was slammed and the steering tube cut for that application.) So that may have added some stress. The LBS commented that the steering tube was a bit short for this stem. Also, I went down on the hammer ride last Saturday. It was a relatively benign fall as I had time to react to the bunch in front that went down. I veered off the road and fell in some dirt. I didn't think it was a big deal, but I did notice creaking after that incident, which turned out to be the steering tube issue.
Yup. There's your problem.

I get that everyone wants to give their bike a briss but being around these things for so long it is almost always a bad idea. Things change and having some adjustability is always beneficial. Heck even most stems don't have the same stack height so cutting them super slammed leaves one with few if any options if their current stem cracks or they want to change setups.

Running a stem on a fork cut too low for it will place an immense amount of stress on the fork steerer. Crashing on it - even if a mild crash - can very easily result in a one way trip to crackville.

ENVE makes great forks. There are also a lot of other forks out there that are great as well.

Old 01-09-16, 02:09 PM
sbxx1985 

Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
psimet knows these wheels.

Old 01-09-16, 02:44 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Yup. There's your problem.

I get that everyone wants to give their bike a briss but being around these things for so long it is almost always a bad idea. Things change and having some adjustability is always beneficial. Heck even most stems don't have the same stack height so cutting them super slammed leaves one with few if any options if their current stem cracks or they want to change setups.

Running a stem on a fork cut too low for it will place an immense amount of stress on the fork steerer. Crashing on it - even if a mild crash - can very easily result in a one way trip to crackville.
I always leave myself a 5mm spacer on top of the stem after I find the right fit for that reason. I can't usually ride a bike without spacers under the stem, but if I could I would probably put 5mm under it as well, just in case.
Old 01-09-16, 02:54 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
psimet knows these wheels.

indeed

Old 01-09-16, 02:55 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by CafeVelo
I always leave myself a 5mm spacer on top of the stem after I find the right fit for that reason. I can't usually ride a bike without spacers under the stem, but if I could I would probably put 5mm under it as well, just in case.
Exactly. I have had more than one conversation with a 20-something hot to trot up and coming pro phenom (in their own mind) who just HAS to have the stem slammed. "dude...you have no money. You're going to sell this thing in a year to help fund the next team bike...leave it sellable."

Old 01-09-16, 02:56 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Live and learn, no biggie. Thanks all.
Old 01-09-16, 03:16 PM
CafeVelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exactly. I have had more than one conversation with a 20-something hot to trot up and coming pro phenom (in their own mind) who just HAS to have the stem slammed. "dude...you have no money. You're going to sell this thing in a year to help fund the next team bike...leave it sellable."
Racers must be a lot more obstinate, or at least magazine influenced, in Illinois.
Old 01-09-16, 03:26 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Enve certainly makes a fine fork at either level 1 or 2. But there are many choices that might be more cost effective and equally high performing. I personally favor the Ritchey forks. The PRO (all carbon) is excellent and the WCS is outstanding. Both are very light for their price ranges and have fine reputations.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-09-16, 03:27 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by CafeVelo
Racers must be a lot more obstinate, or at least magazine influenced, in Illinois.
Kids. They want to have the longest stem and the most slammed position. I've had more than one try and find negative stems in the 140 range. They can run them ok but for some of them it's the equivalent of not having the latest game console or whatever it is kids obsess over....

.....or like middle aged men riding 14mph centuries on aero bikes and wheels.

Old 01-09-16, 09:10 PM
CafeVelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kids. They want to have the longest stem and the most slammed position. I've had more than one try and find negative stems in the 140 range. They can run them ok but for some of them it's the equivalent of not having the latest game console or whatever it is kids obsess over....

Both keep the lights on, but you'd hope at the price they're spending they'd go for something that does what they need it to for how they'll use it. Oh well.
Old 01-10-16, 05:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,209 Times in 4,268 Posts

Maybe they are channeling their inner [MENTION=106129]timtak[/MENTION].

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.