Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1980's Paganini Team Cyclocross

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-16, 06:31 PM
neo_pop_71

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Done at last… finally!!!

This Paganini Team CX bike was my new year’s build for 2015 and it took all of 2015 and a bit of 2016 to complete. My goals were to save the frame from rusting away, use of as many spare parts as possible, and to keep the budget small. I succeeded with the first goal as the frame has been saved, no thanks to a previous owner sanding the paint and chrome (sand the chrome, why?), now it has a uniform brushed metal look that has been sealed. The mish mash of parts proves this was a definitely a parts build but I’m good with that as there are some nice parts highlighted on the bike. I nailed the final goal by only popping for a new chain, cables & housing, and some bar tape. The frame being double butted Columbus SL or SP provides a forgiving ride and the geometry makes for a responsive and explosive bike. This bike is well suited for cyclocross, gravel grinding, and pavement… it’s a blast to ride and it feels great to have given new life to a 30 year old frame!

Frame / Size / Year:
Paganini Team CX / 56cm / 198_ ?
Handlebars / Stem:
Ritchey Bio-Max Pro / Ritchey Comp / Ritchey Logic cable hanger
Fork / Headset:
Paganini Team CX / Chris King 2 Nut
Front Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
Spinergy SPOX / Spinergy / Vittoria Randonneur 700cx35
Rear Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
Spinergy SPOX / Spinergy / Vittoria Randonneur 700cx35
Crankset / Bottom Bracket:
Kooka / Kooka Crankcase bash guard / Campagnolo Veloce
Saddle / Seat Post:
Selle Italia Pro Link / Campagnolo
Pedals / Chain:
Suntour XC II / KMC X9
Shifters / Derailers:
RetroShift (Gevenalle) 9 speed / Shimano Ultegra 6700 Black
Brakes / Brake Levers:
RetroShift (Cane Creek V) / SRP Mr. Grumpy (f) & Vanguard Lizard (r)
Gearing / Chainring
Shimano XT 9 speed (12T-32T) / REAL 34T
Misc.:
PAUL Chain Keeper / SOMA quill adapter / fi’zi:k tape
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Paganini_CX_0.jpg (98.8 KB, 85 views)
Paganini_CX_1.jpg (101.5 KB, 74 views)
Paganini_CX_2.jpg (106.5 KB, 87 views)
Paganini_CX_3.jpg (100.0 KB, 57 views)
Paganini_CX_4.jpg (94.0 KB, 62 views)
Paganini_CX_5.jpg (99.0 KB, 57 views)
Paganini_CX_6.jpg (100.8 KB, 57 views)
Paganini_CX_7.jpg (91.6 KB, 51 views)
Paganini_CX_8.jpg (101.8 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 01-18-16 at 06:49 PM. Reason: tying blunder
Old 01-18-16, 09:20 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I think your refinish/save of the frame on this one was really well executed given what you had to start with on that combined with your goal of keeping it low budget. Kind of a wild mix on the rest, but that's sometimes the end game with a parts bin build. It will be interesting to see how the rework of the frame holds up under riding conditions/time.

Really one of the more interesting bikes on here IMO. A lot of playing by the rules elsewhere, not on that one!
Old 01-18-16, 09:46 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,376 Times in 866 Posts
There are a lot of fans -- myself included -- of classic steel-framed 'cross and touring bikes. I would not have chosen radial spoking, but I do like eclectic mixes of parts.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-20-16, 11:21 AM
neo_pop_71

Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
I think your refinish/save of the frame on this one was really well executed given what you had to start with on that combined with your goal of keeping it low budget. Kind of a wild mix on the rest, but that's sometimes the end game with a parts bin build. It will be interesting to see how the rework of the frame holds up under riding conditions/time.

Really one of the more interesting bikes on here IMO. A lot of playing by the rules elsewhere, not on that one!

Originally Posted by John E
There are a lot of fans -- myself included -- of classic steel-framed 'cross and touring bikes. I would not have chosen radial spoking, but I do like eclectic mixes of parts.
Thanks Chrome Molly & John E for the feedback and kind words! The finish on the frame was an undertaking, once the rust was removed the steel tubing was covered in patches of black spots and there was no dealing with it other than a composite wheel and a drill. The steel is sealed with a wax and rubbing compound (I did a lot of reading up on exterior steel art sculptures and what various artists used to preserve their artwork), being it's relatively dry in SoCal I'm not too concerned about moisture and rusting. My initial goal was to get the frame and fork re-chromed, I found only one shop in the whole Los Angeles area that was willing to re-chrome. The price seemed fair, not great nor too bad, I was quoted $250.00. If I'm able to start piecing together a period correct Campy group then I likely will bite the bullet and have the frame re-chromed and buy the $50.00 reproduction decal set that goes on frames from this era.

Yeah, the mix of parts os pretty wild but I was really committed to not spending a bunch of dough buying parts when I have so many bins of spares. The SPOX wheels needed a few spokes replaced and a serious truing, I'm glad I did because those wheels are great for cyclocross. After deciding to go with the SPOX that helped with the decision of the accent color for the pantographs and the lug cutaways. I've been wanting to do a steel cross bike for years but they rarely come up around here and when they do the prices are insane. I appreciate the that you liked the fact the bike was not like so many others, as an artist I always strive to build bikes with a unique feel of paint, parts, or both. I'm building a 2000 Schwinn Homegrown Pro right now with a rigid Rick Hunter Supercrown fork running a 96'er set up (29" up front with a 26" rear) and like this Paganini it'll have a 1x9 drivetrain using a PAUL Thumbie with a friction down tube shifter... another wild build that will likely leave a bad taste in many peoples' mouths. Oh well...

Cheers,

-D-
Old 01-20-16, 12:55 PM
09box

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How do you like those Vittoria Randonneurs?
Old 01-20-16, 07:03 PM
neo_pop_71

Hey 09box-

The tires seemed to be real winners, no complaints yet and I can't imagine anything coming up. The 70 psi max does really well on pavement and the 35 tire size puts plenty of meat to the ground. Drop the pressure some and they did great on fire road and gravel grinding was a breeze. Sure some knobbies would have made life simpler in the rougher spots. I ran these because I had them on hand but went with them initially because I wanted a tire that could handle whatever I put it through and the tires are up for anything. I could see how these would make great tires for a bike tour, 60 psi on the pavement is a plush ride. Definitely a solid all around performer that I would suggest to anyone looking for a mixed use tire.
Old 01-20-16, 07:42 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
A great looking bike and an unique build. Cyclocross bikes can be "adjusted" to many lives and purposes. Enjoy!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-20-16, 11:46 PM
Belg-Ital Steel 

Bikes: large herd that needs thinning

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I like your repurposing/rebuild. I hope to do the same on an late 70s/early 80s Plum V. or 80s Alan with cantilevers that I have awaiting rebuild.