Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda ALR 5?!?!?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Emonda ALR 5?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 09:16 AM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pb_Okole
I build these bikes up for a living. It was a bit of a surprise when I built the first ALR4 we got and noticed the different fork. Previously, I had only built 5s and 6s. When you order a frameset, it is the ALR6 frame. That is the matte black one, same as the 5 except for paint. The 6 is only offered in that one color, unfortunately.
"Unfortunately," you say? That matte Dnister black makes for a really sharp-looking bike, if you ask me! I was actually considering getting one myself. It's kind of funny to me to see all the positive comments in this thread about the "Waterloo blue" color, since every single customer I've shown the bike to in my shop has told me that they really don't like that color, and would prefer the black.
Old 01-24-16, 11:42 AM
exime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a good comparison in the same place and lighting:

Old 01-24-16, 06:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Liked 1,892 Times in 1,076 Posts
I got the red frame....I was not a fan of the blue and black.....well is black. The red just pops.

Old 01-24-16, 06:22 PM
HTupolev

Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
The viper red ALR 5 is pretty much the best bicycle ever if you're trying to be obnoxiously loud. Here's what mine looks like right now (just gotta do something about that bar tape...):

Old 01-24-16, 09:15 PM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanovran
"Unfortunately," you say? That matte Dnister black makes for a really sharp-looking bike, if you ask me! I was actually considering getting one myself. It's kind of funny to me to see all the positive comments in this thread about the "Waterloo blue" color, since every single customer I've shown the bike to in my shop has told me that they really don't like that color, and would prefer the black.
I just wish there was another color option. It looks too much like it's trying to be carbon. I don't hate it, just prefer the gloss black on the ALR5.
Old 01-24-16, 09:38 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Good old Trek. Nice bikes, boring paint...Of course, better paint would cut into Project One sales.
Old 01-25-16, 12:24 AM
exime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Good old Trek. Nice bikes, boring paint...Of course, better paint would cut into Project One sales.
Not even close. So you're saying some guy was like "I kind of like this $1,600 dollar bike but that paint job isn't what I was expecting. I'm going to go spend $7,000 on a project one instead." LOL NO JUST NO
Old 01-26-16, 03:07 PM
timmbo

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.9ssl (brand new 12/30/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, normally I am a fan of the black, but out of these three choices the Red looks awesome IF............IF...........if you switch the bar tape, saddle, stem, and headset to black! That would be a sweet looking ride. The blue is sharp looking in my opinion as well. Toss a pair of black bottle cages on and away you go!

Last edited by timmbo; 01-26-16 at 03:28 PM. Reason: photo
Old 01-26-16, 09:20 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

This is mine.....

Old 01-27-16, 12:08 PM
exime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would the $250 Vuelta Corsa Lites be a pointless wheel upgrade? The Bontrager ALR 5 comes with the Bontrager "TLR" wheelset and reportedly is only 1720 grams but I'm a little skeptical of that number. One popular site review said they were at least 2,000 grams. The ALR 6 has a similar wheel but with just a slightly better hub and is dubbed "race". Supposedly the same weight, according to Trek customer service.

More importantly would they roll better and feel better. If it is just a 200 gram weight savings that wouldn't be worth it to me as I'm more of a sport-tourer that carries around a lot of weight including food, water, tools, etc.

I know the Bontrager Race X Lite TLR would roll much better but that's a $1,000 upgrade. Sure would be cool to have those wheels though. They have really good reviews.

But at the same time I think I'd rather have a reliable Bontrager wheel then "upgrade" to some lighter Vuelta budget wheel. It probably isn't worth it unless you're willing to dish out $500-$1,000 for something like the top Bontragers I noted above or a custom wheel build.

Last edited by exime; 01-27-16 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 04:34 PM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
Would the $250 Vuelta Corsa Lites be a pointless wheel upgrade? The Bontrager ALR 5 comes with the Bontrager "TLR" wheelset and reportedly is only 1720 grams but I'm a little skeptical of that number. One popular site review said they were at least 2,000 grams. The ALR 6 has a similar wheel but with just a slightly better hub and is dubbed "race". Supposedly the same weight, according to Trek customer service.

More importantly would they roll better and feel better. If it is just a 200 gram weight savings that wouldn't be worth it to me as I'm more of a sport-tourer that carries around a lot of weight including food, water, tools, etc.

I know the Bontrager Race X Lite TLR would roll much better but that's a $1,000 upgrade. Sure would be cool to have those wheels though. They have really good reviews.

But at the same time I think I'd rather have a reliable Bontrager wheel then "upgrade" to some lighter Vuelta budget wheel. It probably isn't worth it unless you're willing to dish out $500-$1,000 for something like the top Bontragers I noted above or a custom wheel build.
I have ridden the Race wheelset on two different bikes for 2 years and can say they are a very durable wheelset. I have always been a Mavic fan but Really have come to trust the Race and now also the Race Lite wheels. Race Lite wheels are closer the the RXLs in design with less expensive materials. I got them over the RXL because of the steel freehub body. I don't like alloy freehubs.
Old 01-27-16, 04:49 PM
PepeM

Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
The stock 'TLR' wheels are not too bad. With that said, going from those with ****ty T1 tires to a Vittoria Elusion wheelset (under $300) with Rubino Pros took 800 grams off my bike. I don't know whether they 'roll' or 'feel' better, but I like them.
Old 01-28-16, 09:33 PM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have any of you guys weighed your ALRs? Nice looking bikes. I see that TREK offers the frame too. The smooth welds look really nice. Lp
Old 01-28-16, 11:33 PM
exime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spinz
Have any of you guys weighed your ALRs? Nice looking bikes. I see that TREK offers the frame too. The smooth welds look really nice. Lp
It's 18.8 lbs without the pedals

Last edited by exime; 01-28-16 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-29-16, 12:09 AM
HTupolev

Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
Mine pictured above is a 56cm ALR5 and almost exactly 20lbs in that configuration (which lost a bit of weight via the R3 tires but gained some weight with the bottle cages and loaded saddle bag).
Old 01-29-16, 08:31 PM
jaxgtr

Mine is 16.7 with pedals,bottle cages, carbon bars\post, Boyd wheels and Conti GP4Ks II tires.

Old 01-29-16, 08:44 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That blue is nice. I could get into that bike with a set of November Nimbus Ti wheels. I like the fact they don't substitute cranks or brakes to meet a price point. I did not see any of these when I bought my Tarmac. I really like black as well but bright colors are a nice change. 16.7 lbs is pretty good my Felt F2 weighs that with pedals, cages seat bag and computer(ready to ride weight) not to bad jaxgtr.
Old 06-23-16, 08:28 PM
jtuds

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5 and Rocky Mountain Vapour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I did this with my CrossRip for a new commuter, I bought the comp model, lowest model with disc, stripped it, put on an old 10 speed Ultegra group I had, sold the Claris group that came on the bike for $50. Worked out perfect for all involved. I recently did the same when I bought my ALR, I pulled the 105 11 speed group, moved that to my CrossRip, put my 11 speed Ultegra on the ALR. Sold the 10 Speed to a BF member. Again, worked out perfect for all involved.
So you technically have a ALR 5 with Ultegra?

I've just bought a 56cm ALR5 and added one bottle cage...may add another but not sure yet.

Anyway, I think it is heavier than the 8.4kgs advertised.

I was also considering a Cannondale CAAD12 but was never able to find one in my size to test, and I liked the Trek so I bought it. I'm not sure how this worked out, but BikeRadar weighed a stock 56cm CAAD12 at 8.1kg and road.cc weighed a stock 56cm CAAD12 at 8.6kg - huge discrepancy.

The Trek has a lighter frame than the Cannondale and is full 105 so it should be the lighter bike. Though I don't know if I'll ever be able to drop enough dough to get mine down under 17lbs.

I haven't seen the stock ALR5 weighed on any websites, but if the above example is any evidence, it's not just advertised weights that are inaccurate, apparently bike weights can vary significantly between the same bike in the same size with the same parts.

So to the bike. It's light and whippy....feels fast to me and I have not changed a thing. I love accelerating on this thing. I have read some reviews complaining about the saddle being uncomfortable but I don't mind it....I need to be sitting right at the back to get full support though, and I have angled it down a bit.

I got the black one because it was the only colour in my size that was assembled...maybe the only one the shop had in my size. It's not the flashiest looking bike ever, but I was never too caught up on what the bike looked like.

I have never intended to buy a Trek, I wanted to buy from a Canadian company like Garneau, Devinci, or Norco but the value for money on this bike couldn't be denied...so in the end it was an easy decision.

Last edited by jtuds; 06-23-16 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-27-16, 06:30 PM
Steelerfan14

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Picked up my blue Emanda ALR 5 from the shop today. They lost their Trek license to a bigger bike shop that has multiple stores so they had clearance deals. Picked mine up for $1025. Pretty stoked about that
Old 08-22-16, 01:19 AM
Homer Cooper 

Bikes: Trek Émonda ALR 4, 95 Schwinn Classic Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Losing weight

What are the heviest parts on the ALR 5? What would give the biggest loss upgrading to carbon parts?
Old 08-22-16, 01:35 AM
cruc1a7

Bikes: Speed Concept 7.5, DA9k Emonda ALR 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires then wheels. They are so heavy.
Old 08-30-16, 03:48 AM
jajacobsson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the ALR 5 earlier this year. I was choosing between the Cannondale CAAD12 105 and the ALR 5. I liked the looks of the CAAD better with the internal routing and the more aggressive setup, but opted for the ALR in the end. In my opinion more comfortable for longer rides, I wanted the compact crankset and my LBS gave me a good deal on it. Having now done 2000km on it, I do not regret my choice. I upgraded the wheels to Campagnolo Zonda and went for 25c continental grand prix 4000 II tires for it and changed the bar tape to lizard skins, other than that it is completely stock. I put it on the scales the other day and without pedals and bottle cages it came in on 7,9kg (58cm frame).
Old 08-31-16, 07:30 AM
xscottypx

Bikes: 2014 Focus Cayo 3.0 / 2000 specialized stumpjumper M4 / 2013 All City Big Block

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homer Cooper
What are the heviest parts on the ALR 5? What would give the biggest loss upgrading to carbon parts?
this right here is an amazing deal

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-race-bikes/émonda-alr/émonda-alr-6-pro/p/1426090-2017
Old 08-31-16, 02:59 PM
jajacobsson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xscottypx
this right here is an amazing deal

Émonda ALR 6 Pro | Trek Bikes
Wow, that is stunning! Love the all black look with the deep wheels, very stealthy.
Old 10-22-16, 10:08 PM
Pecjr23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Demobrett
Hello all! I am currently in the market for a road bike. I had a Felt about 3 years ago, but we were expecting our second child, had just bought a house and just life in general, and so the Felt was just collecting dust in the garage. So I sold it. Now I'm looking at getting back in to riding. I'm leaning towards the Trek Emonda ALR 5. I have done an Internet search but no real reviews on the bike so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance!

Brett
I just purchased the 5 a week ago. Retail was $1699 I got it for $1349 and it's an amazing ride , I cant find a flaw after putting 124 miles on it .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.