Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dipped my toe in the trainer regime

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 12:37 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Finally had to admit there will not be any outdoor cycling for a while here in Southern Maine. Set up my Trek on the trainer
and actually spent all of five minutes on it!

Using the Trek instead of the old Fuji since it was already in the basement and I am going to replace the tires and the chain
before next season. Now I have to wear my cycling shoes and clip in which is different than in the past but I will have the advantage of training on the same bike I ride on. We'll see how good I am at keeping up my cycling condition. Don't want to repeat last year when I put on 7 lbs. and took all season to work most of it off.
Old 01-19-16, 01:16 PM
apesrunner58

Bikes: domane trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are a lot of videos you can use. I have a lot of them. But I really like zwift.com you get to ride with people around the world.
Old 01-19-16, 01:20 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
That S-10-S is the bike that started the boom! I'd love to get my hands on one of those. My Fuji Supreme does permanent duty on the trainer.

Old 01-19-16, 02:13 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Have fun and fight the boredom. I just added a '76 The Finest to my classic racers fleet. The '76 is the first year they added the sport-touring fork but it still has that crazy light frame and will be a 20lb bike with little effort.

Old 01-19-16, 02:49 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i do not have much trouble with boredom if I keep it to an hour or less at a time... and since I switched from trainer to rollers it makes me concentrate more and have less boredom issues.
Old 01-20-16, 07:07 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Liked 871 Times in 443 Posts
This time of year I'm on the trainer 4 days a week an hour each session. Then the other days I do 1/2 on the treadmill. I did this last winter and lost 11 lbs. last year instead of gaining lbs. This year I'm using the GCN hour long video, last year I used several other you tube videos.
Old 01-20-16, 08:40 PM
Sculptor7

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apesrunner58
there are a lot of videos you can use. I have a lot of them. But I really like zwift.com you get to ride with people around the world.
I don't think I can afford or deal with the extra equipment but it looks like fun and I am sure it enhances the training.
Old 01-21-16, 06:38 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
As far as 50+ trainer items, its sad that Billydonn has passed on, his yearly posts detailing the group trainer sessions each winter were epic. I miss those great reads from him, along with the picture in the classic side profile Billydonn pose. The man, the myth, its BILLYDONN.

RIP Don, we all miss you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-21-16, 08:05 AM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zwift has become the answer for me. I previously had my bike on a dumb trainer and it was so boring, I just couldn't do it very long. I now Have a new smart tacx Vortex trainer that connect with my PC wirelessly and allows me to ride and compete with others up and down hills and also to ride in a paceline and draft others. It is a remarkable difference, and the resistance changes with the terrain. The difficulty is very similar to riding outside. I have done several rides up to 30 miles and about 90 minutes. I find that the competition allows me to get my heart rate up to 145-160 quite consistently and keep it there.

What I have noticed is that it has allowed me to do this 3-4 times a week and get my summer conditioning back and it has allowed me to keep weight down which is always a problem in the winter for me. If you are serious about really using your bike a trainer zwift makes it actually enjoyable.
Old 01-22-16, 03:33 PM
Sculptor7

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
I don't think I can afford or deal with the extra equipment but it looks like fun and I am sure it enhances the training.
Actually with the iPad mini my kids bought me for Christmas and the discovery (partly as a result of this thread) that there are a number of nice videos available free online (Youtube) I think I can manage to make my trainer less boring. I have ordered a holder for the handlebar that should allow me to watch while I pedal. Admittedly it is not as sophisticated as some but it should help. Did 35 minutes today without anything and I am sure the time will pass more quickly with the iPad mounted.
Old 01-22-16, 04:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,005 Times in 1,424 Posts
Especially since you're using your good bike, you gotta get you a "sweat thong." Sweat is incredibly corrosive. I know, it's carbon, but it has AL and steel bits.
Old 01-22-16, 08:57 PM
Sculptor7

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Especially since you're using your good bike, you gotta get you a "sweat thong." Sweat is incredibly corrosive. I know, it's carbon, but it has AL and steel bits.
That's true. On my old Fuji there is a chrome cable clamp right under where the sweat drops from above and it is badly corroded. Otherwise the bike is in nice condition (my old S-10-S). My Trek is all aluminum and pretty clean and waxed. The tires and chain will be replaced but I do regret the extra wear on the chain wheels and cog set. Ultimately though it is all about keeping ME in condition as I approach my 81st birthday on Monday!
Old 01-23-16, 04:06 AM
TiHabanero

Liked 1,394 Times in 733 Posts
I discovered something about indoor riding this winter. For the past 3 decades I have always ridden indoors by myself on a fixed trainer or rollers. This past year my daughter became interested in cycling, so we got her a Synapse, and it has been her go to stress relief ever since (beats eating a dozen cookies in one setting). She had me set up her bike on the fixed trainer this winter, and then begged me to "ride" with her. I baulked because I HATE riding indoors, but as all good and weak fathers do, I succumbed to her pleas, and set up the rollers next to her bike. We now ride together 4 times a week, and even got mom on the stationary trainer with us 2 nights ago! Wow! Riding indoors is actually pleasant when with companions one enjoys riding with. We talk the whole time, well up to the point when the breathing becomes a bit difficult for me! lol
Old 01-24-16, 09:26 PM
aubiecat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't say I've dipped my toe in but have jumped in head long. I have a Tacx Vector on the way and I can't wait to be able to train indoors. It's something I have needed to do for years and I don't know why I have waited so long.
Zwift came along just at the right time for me.
Old 01-29-16, 05:41 PM
Sculptor7

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I have now got my Ipad mounted on my handlebar and have been watching training videos to ease the boredom. And, I must say, it works!

Up to 50 minute sessions and have enjoyed cycling through Southern Germany (Cornelia's videos) and also a video of cycling along the shore of Lake Garda in Italy. Without getting highly technical I have still enjoyed the variety of cycling at various levels by switching to a harder gear when going up hills and an easier one on the level or downhill. Have my water bottle in place and even a bit of food fuel handy. When I think that my normal seasonal rides are 2 plus hours long I don't think it is too much to ask to work up to 90 minutes but I will take it a step at a time. And if I can resist the urge for sweets a bit I won't have to work as hard. Determined to be in better shape starting the season this year.
Old 01-29-16, 07:04 PM
Ravenwing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My longest session on the trainer so far was 3.25 hours. Couldn't decide which was more numb, my mind or my butt. I've been doing Trainerroad this winter, and so far have almost worked my way through three levels of the 'Traditional Base mid-volume' training plan; that's 12 weeks total. One more week, and then I start the 'Build' phase. Woot! Praying for an early Spring. Yeah, it sucks, but I think it'll pay dividends next summer.
Old 01-29-16, 07:56 PM
VNA

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by obed7
i do not have much trouble with boredom if I keep it to an hour or less at a time... and since I switched from trainer to rollers it makes me concentrate more and have less boredom issues.
Absolutely, not only you concentrate on staying upright but the feel is closer to the road and good for balance and pedaling "roundly" if there is such word. Also it is easier on the bike with no undue force on the rear triangle!
Old 01-30-16, 08:17 AM
Sculptor7

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
Absolutely, not only you concentrate on staying upright but the feel is closer to the road and good for balance and pedaling "roundly" if there is such word. Also it is easier on the bike with no undue force on the rear triangle!
That thought crossed my mine (the undue force) particularly with an aluminum frame bike.