Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sometimes you really hate to let them go...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sometimes you really hate to let them go...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 02:59 PM
vincent_r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should sell this one.

I never use it and it would make me gain some space... I keep thinking that I should let it go, but I never do anything about it.
Old 02-05-16, 03:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,631 Times in 1,530 Posts
[MENTION=46029]fender1[/MENTION], I'm getting there, believe me. And it is, in part, thanks to your yogi wisdom.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-05-16, 04:36 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Liked 4,829 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Erwin8r
Hey, tell us more about that Sparrow! (See, here I go again... lol).
Ha ha - it's taken a long time to learn about the guy who built it, and there's still more to learn! What I do know is he was a builder out of Missoula, MT from around '75 to sometime in the early '80s and he apprenticed in the UK under Geoffrey Butler for about 6 months before settling in MT.

I got the frame around 2010 and built the bike shortly after I got it. Ebay auction, but local pickup (Seattle area). Don't ride it enough to justify keeping it in the stable.

DD
Old 02-05-16, 04:46 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
Originally Posted by vincent_r
I should sell this one.

I never use it and it would make me gain some space... I keep thinking that I should let it go, but I never do anything about it.
Unusual crankset...and bike! More?
Old 02-05-16, 04:49 PM
m3rle

Bikes: 1990 Specialized StumpJumper 1970 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fender1 nailed it for me. Problem is I like wrenching. And hunting for stuff to wrench on. What do I do once they're done? Giving them away might be the liberation I'm looking for. Who knows what karma may bring? Probably more bikes!

Last edited by m3rle; 02-05-16 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-05-16, 04:53 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I have too many, too, but I'm too attached to each of them. Something has to give.
Oh yes.
Old 02-05-16, 05:17 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,047 Times in 2,694 Posts
I currently have 27 rideable bikes and room for all of them. I'll likely move a few on in the next year, but that's because they've fallen out of favor and don't get ridden. Life's too short to stress over bicycles.
Old 02-05-16, 05:23 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nlerner
I currently have 27 rideable bikes and room for all of them. I'll likely move a few on in the next year, but that's because they've fallen out of favor and don't get ridden. Life's too short to stress over bicycles.
I stand in awe. And don't feel so bad anymore... lol.
Old 02-05-16, 05:28 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,047 Times in 2,694 Posts
Originally Posted by Erwin8r
I stand in awe. And don't feel so bad anymore... lol.
And having that many bikes allows me to do this and this.
Old 02-05-16, 06:04 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Liked 1,362 Times in 505 Posts
Extra bikes are relatively easy to fit in. I have a bigger problem...I just reacquired my old Austin Healey Sprite, partly disassembled (engine and tranny in boxes). My wife is not too thrilled about that prospect (to say the least) so I have hidden most of it in a friendly neighbor's garage in exchange for my son walking their dog (paid for by me of course).
Old 02-05-16, 06:11 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
This is true, there are a lot worse things than owning multiple bikes. Keeps the hands and mind busy and is a great way to get some exercise. Actually, rarely does it feel like exercise because it so dang enjoyable.
Old 02-05-16, 06:48 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Liked 735 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
[MENTION=46029]fender1[/MENTION], I'm getting there, believe me. And it is, in part, thanks to your yogi wisdom.
Ha! Everybody does their own thing. I just found that when I had lots of bikes and parts and projects, I rode less and stressed more. It is supposed to make you happy. If having 52 bikes makes you happy, I have no problem with that!
Old 02-05-16, 06:48 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davester
Extra bikes are relatively easy to fit in. I have a bigger problem...I just reacquired my old Austin Healey Sprite, partly disassembled (engine and tranny in boxes). My wife is not too thrilled about that prospect (to say the least) so I have hidden most of it in a friendly neighbor's garage in exchange for my son walking their dog (paid for by me of course).
Easy for you to say... See, it's not the "number," but rather, the ability to sell the SWMBO on it (for the unenlightened, "She Who Must be Obeyed"). Lacking a garage sucks in so many ways, and this is just one of the big ones. I have 4 in storage, but that is terrible as "out of sight, out of mind" and I don't ride them. I tried to have 3 at home, but she had a fit over them being tucked in a (I thought...) dark corner of the long living room. Sigh. I'll have to figure out a safer/sane solution...
Old 02-05-16, 06:50 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Liked 735 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by m3rle
Fender1 nailed it for me. Problem is I like wrenching. And hunting for stuff to wrench on. What do I do once they're done? Giving them away might be the liberation I'm looking for. Who knows what karma may bring? Probably more bikes!
+1. I like building bikes. It leads to always having more bikes......
Old 02-05-16, 07:11 PM
carbomb

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I feel your pain. I had 12, I'm down to 7, my target is 4 with 1 extra project.

It's hard to sell them and I drag my feet taking pictures, posting an ad, responding, etc., but what I'm telling myself is that the sooner I free up space in my apartment the sooner I get to go shopping for new bikes and new projects without feeling bad that I'm just adding to quantity and crowding my place.

I haven't regretted selling anything yet, but I have a 1986 Nishiki Modulus by Kawamura in very good condition. It's the 54cm version of this:

I usually ask for enough money to break even and try provide a good deal, but this one... I'll charge more for "pain and suffering" associated from selling it
Old 02-05-16, 08:14 PM
Flying Merkel

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I vowed to never sell my Univega Super Strada, complete with Dura Ace AX aero components. Bought it in '85 for the princely sum of $650. It never quite worked for me. The rear derailluer was crap, the sew-ups were a pain, and it just didn't seem to fit. Laced up some conventional rims, better but it didn't get ridden.

Put it on Ebay, it went to a happy collector. Beautiful bike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Super Strada 1 rs.jpg (21.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-05-16, 10:06 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by modelmartin
What eats at me are the ones I did not get! I have room and I do not have champagne tastes yet (working on it!) It helps that I have a 24 X 30 garage with a 12 X 30 upstairs in it! Room for all my Kabukis, Raleighs and a workbench. Of all the bikes I have sold I only regret one sale bcause the guy who bought it was a squirrel and wrecked it! It was just a Raleigh Olympian but it was my first road bike and I put 5000 miles on it.
There was a Cimarron in my size with XT in bright red that I got the runaround on. A buddy of mine picked up a green one a couple months ago, and it only served to twist the knife further.
Old 02-06-16, 02:04 AM
vincent_r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Unusual crankset...and bike! More?
It's a level-entry race bike made by a very old small french manufacturer, Fonlupt (it lasted almost 100 years, but disappeared in the 2000's).
I got it with this triple crankset so I decided to turn it to a "randonneuse" (kinda). The Huret derailleurs are made for classic double crankset, they aren't too precise, but they do the job.

I added:
- Weinmann brakes with safety levers
- TA front rack
- Bluemels fenders
- Idéale saddle
I also made a little front bag with an Ikea toilet bag, just for fun.
It's comfortable, but a little too "soft" for me. I love the style and I spent time finding pieces and building this bike, that's why it's hard to let it go.

The crankset is a Stronglight TS bis, with drilled chainrings.

VeloBase.com - Component: Stronglight Touring Sport Bis
Old 02-06-16, 07:48 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
I'm in the middle of the space crisis myself. I've acquired somewhere around 11 bikes (I say around because I have a full build in parts form) that have begun to overflow the authorized "bike room" space. My beer growler-getter Ross ATB has migrated to the enclosed porch, and the Surly commuter resides next to the back door. With the addition of a brand-spankin' new Jamis Renegade Exploit I now have to shuffle bikes like Tetris just to get to the workbench.

I may have to cull this summer, but for the life of me I can't conceive of letting any of them go. Way too attached to find enlightenment.
Old 02-06-16, 08:00 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two regrets, both in 1993 consequently.. when I needed cash. I took way less than I should've too. Wish I had these ones back. No pics sadly:

*Davidson Impulse w/ full Campagnolo Chorus (downtube shifters)- my main distance road racer
*3Rensho Katana w/ full Campagnolo Chorus Ergo- my criterium bike (never crashed, it was mint)

..man I miss those bikes, they were both a thing of beauty to behold. Drastic times..drastic measures.

Last edited by hatrack71; 02-06-16 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-06-16, 02:12 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Liked 4,829 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by poprad
Way too attached to find enlightenment.
I'm finding I'm feeling the exact opposite, with the exception of a couple/three of mine. It's kinda depressing in a way, but maybe I'm just moving on to the next thing.

Though I don't yet know what that "next thing" is

DD
Old 02-06-16, 03:25 PM
tronnyjenkins 

Bikes: One new one, a couple old ones, and a mountain bike.

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
It's so very hard deciding. It was easy last year when I was first becoming interested in c&v, but the stable has gotten nicer and nicer...
Old 02-06-16, 03:41 PM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Bikes: '37 Iver Johnson Racer, '44 BSA Airborne, '45 Swiss Militarvelo, '92 Fat City Slim Chance, '97 Pinarello Monviso, '03 Giant TCR Composite, '12 Bianchi Super Pista, '15 Humble CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just picked up my two first "true" collectors bikes - 1945 BSA Paratrooper (folding) & 1945 Swiss Army - brings the stable to 6. It's already giving me anxiety. Any buyers? Jk.
Old 02-06-16, 04:53 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
I just sold this to a guy who, by the sounds of it, will put some real miles in on it:

Sold Thursday night. I got a fair price, but I was reticent to sell, and half-regret it after all is said and done.

Uncommon-to-find Canadian builder, and I was very happy to have it...but just slightly long in the top tube and a bit flexy under my more-than-ample self.

I need to clear one more out in the next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00488.jpg (94.6 KB, 28 views)