Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing a super tight freewheel.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 10:31 AM
srinath.the.man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This freewheel I had was on so tight on the wheel, it stripped my remover tool. Its the classic 12 pronged contraption.

So I followed "bikemanforu"'s internet tips. But with a little twist.

Remove the locking collar/bearing race by turning it clockwise with a spanner or a small pin punch.
Then use a magnet and pull out all the balls.
Then invert it onto a bucket holding the sprocket pack to the wheel, and gently pull it out turning it in the freewheel direction. The bucket will catch all the balls that fall out. As well as the shims. I had 3 very very very thin shims.

Then clean out all the balls and put it back on the table right way up.
This is where I deviate from bikemanforu's tips, and with good reason.

There is a thin clip holding the ratchet teeth. Gently remove it and remove the ratchet teeth.
Then put the remover tool back into it and try to open it. I tried, but it still didn't work. But I can see how it could.

Then I left the tool in there and gripped the depressions for the freewheel teeth with a pair of vice grips - mine were rounded jaw with a nice curve, that let me not touch any other part of that. In any case, its hardened steel, you couldn't hurt it without going very crazy.

It came loose. I reassembled to make sure it works. Yea I packed it with grease etc etc too. Works great. Though I was going to replace the bearings - but have to buy those.
Cool.
Srinath.
Old 02-13-16, 10:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
More trouble than my time is worth I Throw away the old one and Replace it with New , + new Chain

Super tight? 4 handed , removal tool or the core of the freewheel if the removal tool wont work, in the bench vise ,

To Unscrew the wheel from the freewheel..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-13-16 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 11:10 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
More trouble than my time is worth I Throw away the old one and Replace it with New , + new Chain

Super tight? 4 handed , removal tool or the core of the freewheel if the removal tool wont work, in the bench vise ,

To Unscrew the wheel from the freewheel..

yeah, i'll tighten the removal tool in a bench vise, almost always everytime now. i removed a stubborn freewheel the other day, when it released it made a loud noise i thought i broke something :-D
Old 02-13-16, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Tight threads Breaking loose often makes a Noise .
Old 02-13-16, 12:13 PM
Slash5

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'm surprised that a freewheel tight enough to break the tool would come off with vice grips.
I've done something similar with a single speed freewheel without removal slots and used a great big pipe wrench and threw the freewheel away.
Old 02-13-16, 02:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
Sounds like none replying have had a really tight freewheel before. One where the tool rounds off. One where the internal core's cavities for the pawls break and round off. One where you end up grinding the core thinner and thinner, trying to not get too deep in the hub's threads. And then and only then will the core crack and release it's bond to the hub shell. Andy
Old 02-13-16, 03:15 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 350 Times in 228 Posts
I don't miss freewheels..........
Old 02-13-16, 03:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Skill is in Making sure the tool never slips from the part of the freewheel it grips .

Shimano's Lock rings can be removed with the same tool they have for their freewheels , and that tool also removes

Centerlock disc Lockrings..

Campag Lock ring tools worked to install their later ISO SQ taper Cartridge BB designs .

Toured With a Phil Freewheel Hub . all I needed was the freewheel remover , no chainwhip too
like cassettes Need nowadays , in Spoke replacement.
Old 02-13-16, 05:10 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are you sure you are turning the tool the right way???

In extreme cases you have to saw the cog out, and then grab the body that is sill in place with a pipe wrench, amazingly enough, thats the easiest part of the job because sure will come out really easy.
Old 02-13-16, 05:17 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain whip
Old 02-13-16, 05:20 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put the tool in the vice, make like you are turning a bus to the left!
Old 02-13-16, 05:27 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
Originally Posted by otg
Put the tool in the vice, make like you are turning a bus to the left!
But there are some busses where you have to hip check the curb and even then the bus won't turn. Andy.
Old 02-13-16, 05:43 PM
srinath.the.man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Sounds like none replying have had a really tight freewheel before. One where the tool rounds off. One where the internal core's cavities for the pawls break and round off. One where you end up grinding the core thinner and thinner, trying to not get too deep in the hub's threads. And then and only then will the core crack and release it's bond to the hub shell. Andy
+1. I broke ~12 of these with that tool ... but then the bad one bit me. 3-4 weeks of thinking and I finally came up with that.

Yea I get it, 5-6-7-8 non cassette free wheels are worthless.
But its an academic exercise. If its worth doing it the way bikemanforu says, its worth doing it this way, just a hair better and saves you the thing.

Vice grips have a nice spot to grip where the pawls are. So you can get a better bite on it than the tool does.
Of course everything has its limits. It can be even tighter than vice grips and PB Blaster can persuade, sure.

Cool.
Srinath.