Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 08:44 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
If you're thinking of combining this with Battenkill, it's on the other side of the state, 4 hours away. Maybe that's nothing to a square-stater but it's a long haul to us northeasterners.
thanks for the warning. i wasn't thinking of combining the two.

when they originally announced the new battenkill dates i thought it might work perfectly to race battenkill, spend some time at a lake in the area, then race KSR. then the masters nationals dates were announced...

i have no idea what i'm doing about races, but i'd like to do masters nationals. don't know if it will work.

i DO have reason to be in that bristol area that weekend. hm.

(and the driving thing is all context; last weekend i was sick and still hopped in the car to get to a race 4.5h away...NBD. )

Originally Posted by grolby
This one is a long haul for me (6 hour drive from Boston), but it's on my long list. If my form is looking good coming out of the end of April, beginning of May, it might be worth the trip. If I'm in good shape, that kind of profile suits me well.
are the hills sharper than the elevation profile make them appear to be? doesn't look that hilly from the profile--but much can be hidden in that sort of thing.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
was 5th there last year. I like the course a lot, and it was well organized. The surrounding area is great to kick back in too. It's the NYS championship road race this year so I'll definitely be there.

From what I gather the old course was a longer loop but due to road work it was altered to 10 miles last year.

ah...thanks. i knew you won that NYS RR championship -- I assumed it was this course.

good info.
Old 02-11-16, 09:19 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
For some reason Canandaigua has the best mexican food I've ever had. It's worth doing Bristol just for that.
Old 02-12-16, 02:25 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
anything happening at the rent tonight? I'm down the street at the hampton inn.
I wish I saw this yesterday and I wish that I was able to get out. Ah well.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-12-16, 08:01 AM
grolby

Liked 92 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
are the hills sharper than the elevation profile make them appear to be? doesn't look that hilly from the profile--but much can be hidden in that sort of thing.
I haven't done this race, so I'm not really sure. But from what I understand, it's basically one 3' climb every 10 mile lap. Not a pure climbing sort of course, but one that's going to really start to hurt when you're doing 7 laps (for the Cat 3s). I'm intrigued partly because 3' efforts are right in my wheelhouse. The 2-4' wheelhouse, that is.
Old 02-12-16, 08:58 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
It's more like a 2 part stairstep climb. The first part is like 2-3min depending on the pace, and the second one is like 3-4min. If the peloton opts to take the false flat between the two climbs at pace and then pushes over the top of the second climb, it basically becomes a single 2.5mi ~4ish% grade. Some laps were ridden this way, some were not.

Last year they started the 3's and 1/2/3s at the same time and we rode together til the 3's finished (the 1/2/3s had 2 more laps). If I'm remembering correctly more than half of the 3's were dropped within the first hour.
Old 02-12-16, 09:23 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds reminiscent of the capitol region RR course.
Old 02-12-16, 09:30 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the climbs ramp up to 13% or so, with the steepest part right in the middle of climb #1 (which is also the finish line) but average 7-8% https://www.strava.com/segments/7702219?filter=overall

and climb 2: https://www.strava.com/segments/695398?filter=overall

NB: for many years, this race went DOWN these hills, and I have set my all-time speed record on a descent of them while following wheels. 63mph. Generally the wind is a headwind for climbing them.
Old 02-13-16, 08:55 AM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I noticed that Blue Hills is at the end of August on Bikereg. I guess we got our wish about a longer road season! It's in the middle of all the epic fondos at the end of the year now. Hope we get more races around then.
Old 02-13-16, 12:44 PM
grolby

Shoot... I wasn't planning on racing any road in August, especially not at the end. But I think I'll have to make an exception in this case.
Old 02-13-16, 02:21 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
isn't end of august gmsr? or is that first weekend of september?

i'm all for more summer races, racing in march for the sake of racing in march is dumb.
Old 02-13-16, 05:12 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Hey winter showed up.
Old 02-13-16, 05:36 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
83 at 4:30 pm here.
Old 02-13-16, 07:16 PM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
GMSR is early September so that's cool too.

But I saw there's no women's fields at Blue Hills, and no men's 1/2.

The wife's race options are getting limited this year.
Old 02-15-16, 12:46 PM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone know anything about Purgatory this year?
Old 02-15-16, 01:12 PM
grolby

Originally Posted by stien
Anyone know anything about Purgatory this year?
It's June 12. What else are you hoping to find out?
Old 02-15-16, 02:46 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
On an aside I'm pretty sure I'm done with promoting races. Thinking about liquidating trailer, tow vehicle, and that would be the all out commitment to not promoting anymore. Not thinking about races 24/7 right now is pretty relieving. This is the first time in 23 year I haven't had to think about promoting. Normally I'd be deep in race planning right now. I even backed out of every Event Services thing possible for this year.

Someone asked how much time goes into the spring series. I told him maybe 80 hours in Feb (20 hours a week?) then maybe 8-10 hours a week without counting a 18 hour Sunday (5 AM - 11 PM). This doesn't include other stuff, like paying for various stuff for the promoting company ($2500 annually to start?), doing paperwork, etc. I told him that because the venues are pretty easy I don't have to spend much time securing them or planning stuff for them. And, because a lot of this stuff is already "done", I don't have to put too much effort into each task.

But in the end I spend every free moment in Feb getting ready for March, with some late nights thrown in to catch up. I basically stop training in Feb because promoting. Then March/April is spent promoting, again, maybe a ride a week other than the race, sometimes it's just the race for the week. And I start stressing about it all over again in October.

So it may be time to stop.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-15-16, 04:00 PM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
It's June 12. What else are you hoping to find out?
Just that. I searched the web, bikereg, usac and came up with nothing about the date this year. Where did you see it?
Old 02-15-16, 04:11 PM
grolby

Just that. I searched the web, bikereg, usac and came up with nothing about the date this year. Where did you see it?
nebra.us.
Old 02-15-16, 04:12 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
You deserve a rest.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-15-16, 04:12 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NEBRA calendar. They were at the Summit. They actually got in touch with us directly just to make sure our dates would not clash.

FYI Hilltowns always has two women's fields, and the pros pay the same as the men.

Last edited by shovelhd; 02-15-16 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 04:14 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CDR, I am not going to work as an official for the four weeks before Hilltowns. I expect that I am going to need as much of my weekend time as possible getting ready for the race.
Old 02-15-16, 07:16 PM
DieterDrake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
On an aside I'm pretty sure I'm done with promoting races. Thinking about liquidating trailer, tow vehicle, and that would be the all out commitment to not promoting anymore. Not thinking about races 24/7 right now is pretty relieving. This is the first time in 23 year I haven't had to think about promoting. Normally I'd be deep in race planning right now. I even backed out of every Event Services thing possible for this year.

Someone asked how much time goes into the spring series. I told him maybe 80 hours in Feb (20 hours a week?) then maybe 8-10 hours a week without counting a 18 hour Sunday (5 AM - 11 PM). This doesn't include other stuff, like paying for various stuff for the promoting company ($2500 annually to start?), doing paperwork, etc. I told him that because the venues are pretty easy I don't have to spend much time securing them or planning stuff for them. And, because a lot of this stuff is already "done", I don't have to put too much effort into each task.

But in the end I spend every free moment in Feb getting ready for March, with some late nights thrown in to catch up. I basically stop training in Feb because promoting. Then March/April is spent promoting, again, maybe a ride a week other than the race, sometimes it's just the race for the week. And I start stressing about it all over again in October.

I hear you. I have stopped riding altogether, because bike race, family, and bike race. I am removing 2 of those things from my life soon, hopefully (and both start with B...) Maybe I'll even start riding again.
Old 02-16-16, 11:45 AM
JoesInBoston
Love that dirty water

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GMSR is early September so that's cool too.

But I saw there's no women's fields at Blue Hills, and no men's 1/2.

The wife's race options are getting limited this year.
Pay no attention to the field listing at the moment. We put a replica of the 2013 listing up as a placeholder for now. We're only allowed to run 4 fields (2 races in 2 waves) on the day. We discussed having a women's field and it's almost a certainty if Mass DCR is OK with our chosen date.
Old 02-16-16, 12:04 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about a race for the 1s and 2s?
Old 02-16-16, 01:07 PM
grolby

Originally Posted by JoesInBoston
Pay no attention to the field listing at the moment. We put a replica of the 2013 listing up as a placeholder for now. We're only allowed to run 4 fields (2 races in 2 waves) on the day. We discussed having a women's field and it's almost a certainty if Mass DCR is OK with our chosen date.
Thanks for clarifying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.