Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

HikerBiker sites in Canadian National Parks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

HikerBiker sites in Canadian National Parks

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 10:30 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 812 Posts
being from T.O, are you familiar with Sandbanks Prov park? On Lake Ontario near Picton? I have only car camped there, but did so every summer with our family for over 15 years. It is a typical site specific park, just like the other parks like it we've camped in in Ont and Quebec, but I have no idea of how they are with cyclists turning up.
Sandbanks is perhaps a special case in that it is so popular, they may be very "bureaucratic" to just saying, sorry, full up, you can't camp here.
Also, in that area there are other private campgrounds nearby, which could be a factor in their turn away policy, but this is all conjecture on my part, as I really don't know.
I suspect too, an individuals on the spot decision of turning you away or charging the same as a giant rv comes down to how the person at the gate feels that day, what they think of you and how you look.

again, I say all this from experiences where I have had to pay the same as a giant RV, or full price in a nearly empty campground, and also not knowing the actual policies of Canadian prov and fed campgrounds.
I suspect the actual policy is unclear, and its the discretion of the person in charge that specific day.
Old 02-15-16, 10:48 AM
rawklobster

Bikes: Brompton M6R Raw, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, ICE Trike with Rohloff (SOLD) - Pacific Coast Highway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
being from T.O, are you familiar with Sandbanks Prov park? On Lake Ontario near Picton? I have only car camped there, but did so every summer with our family for over 15 years. It is a typical site specific park, just like the other parks like it we've camped in in Ont and Quebec, but I have no idea of how they are with cyclists turning up.
Sandbanks is perhaps a special case in that it is so popular, they may be very "bureaucratic" to just saying, sorry, full up, you can't camp here.
Also, in that area there are other private campgrounds nearby, which could be a factor in their turn away policy, but this is all conjecture on my part, as I really don't know.
I suspect too, an individuals on the spot decision of turning you away or charging the same as a giant rv comes down to how the person at the gate feels that day, what they think of you and how you look.

again, I say all this from experiences where I have had to pay the same as a giant RV, or full price in a nearly empty campground, and also not knowing the actual policies of Canadian prov and fed campgrounds. I suspect the actual policy is unclear, and its the discretion of the person in charge that specific day.
This is a great example and explanation of why I feel there needs to be better policy, practice and accommodation for hikers and bikers.

As for Picton, I used to go there often as a kid. It's bittersweet thinking about it, because my dad and his cousin owned a total of 150 ft of lakefront property in Picton, between two properties. About 25 years ago, they decided to sell it together for more money, but my dad did ask if I wanted to one day build a cottage on it. We regularly camped there when I was very young. I wish I had last least asked to go and see it when he asked, but at the time I was young and traveling the world with them. I didn't expect I'd ever want to visit the same place regularly. In any case, I think it was for the best.
Old 02-15-16, 03:22 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 812 Posts
yup its a nice area isnt it? As for having a cottage, we never went that route, never wanted to have the responsibility of another place to take care of.
Im sure the value of that area has gone through the roof, but you cant go back in time, and it wasnt the right time for that then anyway. C'est la vie as they say.
Old 02-15-16, 04:39 PM
rawklobster

Bikes: Brompton M6R Raw, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, ICE Trike with Rohloff (SOLD) - Pacific Coast Highway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
yup its a nice area isnt it? As for having a cottage, we never went that route, never wanted to have the responsibility of another place to take care of.
Im sure the value of that area has gone through the roof, but you cant go back in time, and it wasnt the right time for that then anyway. C'est la vie as they say.
As much as the value has gone through the roof, the money my dad and his cousin made, when invested in other things, certainly made up the difference, and that's not considering the cost of building and maintaining. Does not factor renting, though, but to me, that's more headache than it's worth.

I haven't been in ages, but I think I'll make a point of going there sometime soon. I don't think I've been since just before becoming a teenager.