Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 05:10 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was racing...

Crits: Zipp 606 FC 88mm rear 56mm front 27mm wide. The fastest wheels I've owned.

Road Races and training: 58mm 28mm wide carbon clinchers. My only other choice. They are my go to wheels for the Felt. Won the NSG on them.

I bought a set of HED Stinger 3's for road racing but never got the chance.

Both sets sold within hours. Very popular.
Old 02-19-16, 06:53 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I was wondering if this needs its own thread. Anyway - what rim width and profile do you use for what and why? Junior almost always chooses the lower profile (30mm) while many others are using the 60mm. I have not seen rim width matter so much.
My TT bike has the below to choose from :

Enve 3.4
Enve 6.7
Zipp Super-9

all clinchers.. most common combo is Front 6/Super9 Rear. I thought about getting an 808 but I think my enve 6 is plenty deep and fast for my slowness.
Old 02-20-16, 05:50 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
I've used a variety of wheels.

Current favorites are Stinger 7 front, 9 rear, so 75mm/90mm. Wide profile. 2012 era, bought them used.

I have a set of Stinger 6s from 2010. Not U shaped, but wide. Fast but in gusty wind I can't tell the difference between the 6 and the 7 so I use the 7.

Bought a (2010) Stinger 4 front for more windy conditions but raced it just once.

Got 2010 Jet 6/9 at the same time as the Stinger 6. Last resort wheels as they are heavy. Last resort meaning for either training or racing. I'll race any other wheel I own before I put one of my Jets on my bike.

I went to Stingers from Reynolds DV46 (tubulars and clinchers). The Stingers are substantially faster feeling, but I don't have power/speed/condition data. I was thinking of going to 66mm Reynolds but drank the wide-aero Kool Aid.

I have old school TriSpokes. They tested fastest for me in sprint conditions but they're not 10s, they have old DA freehub (so not convertible), and I haven't used them since I went 10s (still on 10s). When I was on 9s I used the front wheel much of the time. Now, with brakes set for wide wheels, they don't make sense.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-22-16, 10:02 PM
happybday29475

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harking back to the aero handlebars discussion:

I went ahead and upgraded to the Zipp Aero handlebars.

I don't have any data or feeling for whether or not they're faster, and I sort of think that if I do form such an opinion, it will be an imagined difference. But I can tell you that I immediately loved the bars - they're stiff yet vibration absorbing, and are very comfortable in the hands.

Also, I wasn't a half mile down the road before somebody noticed and complemented on the look - if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 02-26-16, 11:08 AM
grolby

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Giving this road tubeless thing a shot, ordered Schwalbe Ones for the race bike. Thought I was ordering the new Pro One, but I forgot that it was actually called the Pro One, so I have the older tires. No big deal, if I like these I'll order up a pair of Pro Ones this summer. But I'm a little distressed at the ~140 grams and 13 watts of rolling resistance I'm apparently throwing away. Just mounted them up and rode them in for my commute this morning, so it's a bit early to make any strong declarations. I will say that they mount up quite easily with just a floor pump, which is wonderful. And they felt pretty good on the very few (like one or two) fast corners I can take on my commute. But we'll see how they do over the next couple months. The weather's improving and DST starts soon so hopefully I'll be able to rack up a thousand miles on them pretty quickly.
Old 02-26-16, 11:49 AM
happybday29475

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Giving this road tubeless thing a shot, ordered Schwalbe Ones for the race bike.
Me too, based on @racerEx's ravings. I put 28mm Schwalbe Ones on some C24's as my winter wheels.

So far, a few rides in, they sort of make me feel like I'm cruising around in a convertible Mercedes or something - fast, plush, and better than what the next guy is driving. Just what is needed for Gran Fondos, I think?

lol oh yeah, I'm that guy with 28mm tires and an aero handlebar.
Old 02-26-16, 11:51 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I'm on my first set of road tubeless, IRC Roadlites in 700x25 based on Racer Ex's recommendation. I'm using Ultegra wheels and mounting them was an experience. I'm liking them pretty well so far. FWIW, they measure just over 27mm wide.

Demain, on roule!
Old 02-26-16, 11:56 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Probably jinxing myself here, but I'm having really good luck with Specialized Turbo Pro tires. ~2500 miles and no flats on wintery crap filled roads.

Not tubeless, I aint cool enough to hang with you kids.
Old 02-26-16, 01:31 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Funny, that's what I'm running on my other bike - it came with them, and I got the last one of the old stock we have for a replacement. Specialized changed them this year, now they come in 24 and 26mm widths.

Demain, on roule!
Old 02-26-16, 01:34 PM
grolby

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I'm on my first set of road tubeless, IRC Roadlites in 700x25 based on Racer Ex's recommendation. I'm using Ultegra wheels and mounting them was an experience. I'm liking them pretty well so far. FWIW, they measure just over 27mm wide.
Oh yeah, might've been helpful to specify width and rim and all that. I got the 23mm tires, cause that's how I roll. I don't have a caliper, so I had to fake it with an adjustable wrench and a measuring tape, but they seem to sit about 25mm wide on Pacenti SL23 rims. That's pretty typical.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Probably jinxing myself here, but I'm having really good luck with Specialized Turbo Pro tires. ~2500 miles and no flats on wintery crap filled roads.

The Turbo Pro tubeless looks interesting, but the Schwalbe's were easier to get. I was also a little worried about the 24mm width, because my bike has clearance issues in the back. But that's a different rant.
Old 02-26-16, 02:03 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Funny, that's what I'm running on my other bike - it came with them, and I got the last one of the old stock we have for a replacement. Specialized changed them this year, now they come in 24 and 26mm widths.
Yup, came stock on mine as well. Very pleasantly surprised, I was expecting to use them until my usual training tires came in but they're so good I haven't bothered switching over.
Old 02-26-16, 02:18 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Specialized Turbo Pro Tubeless on my road bike now; I really like them but not sure I'll keep buying them just because they retail for $100 and nobody discounts them.

I got some Schwalbe Pro One tubeless for my TT bike, found them online for $65/each. The Pro Ones are light enough that there's really no weight penalty to tubeless now, and the rolling resistance is right up there with the best clinchers with latex tubes. My only complaint is that the Pro One's in 23mm measure a whopping 27mm on my HED Jet+ wheels, which is a little wider than I'd prefer for the front. Hopefully Schwalbe updates the Ironman tubeless to use the same compound as the Pro One so I can have something a little narrower on the front.

I like the piece of mind of tubeless though, especially for TT's where there's no wheel truck following behind and a flat means your race is over (and you're maybe walking back to the start).
Old 02-26-16, 03:52 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I raced these last year and really liked them.
Old 02-26-16, 04:32 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 375 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
... Now, with brakes set for wide wheels, they don't make sense.
Yea, a pain. Most my 10 (speed) I converted, but hard to convert rim width.
Old 02-27-16, 09:35 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I guess this is racer tech? What's your favorite embro cream? I was wearing knickers the other day and shin muscles were going numb on descents, but it felt too warm for full tights when climbing.
Old 02-27-16, 10:12 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess this is racer tech? What's your favorite embro cream? I was wearing knickers the other day and shin muscles were going numb on descents, but it felt too warm for full tights when climbing.
Mad Alchemy. I've been using Russian Tea and it's toasty.
Old 02-27-16, 11:17 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also trying tubeless on the new Redline. With two sets of wheels I'm going to set up one for road and one for off road. Off road I have Small Block 8's and Kommanders, both 32/33. For road I have Pro One 28's. Cantis for now but I can convert to disc later if I want to.
Old 02-27-16, 03:40 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
If wet then just vaseline. Heat rub just pulls body heat to the surface where it quickly disappears in wet conditions. Vaseline is like a waterproof cover for your shins. I'll do this on wet days to avoid wearing tights or even knickers.

If dry then Atomic Balm, medium. It's like heat rub in vaseline. I bought the Hot once and it is literally painful to apply. With Medium there's about 5 hours of warmth; only when you run out of gas do you get cold. It's painful to shower (burns), you need rubbing alcohol to remove it. It used to contain 0.5% turpentine, to better get into your skin, but apparently that's no longer the case. I usually use it at (my) spring series. I'd race at 1 PM. My legs would still be pleasantly warm, after showering, at 10 PM. In many pictures you'll see I'm one step less leg covered than others. If they're in tights, I'm in knickers. They're in knickers, I'm in shorts. For me it's 40-45 and knickers are warm, and I'll do knickers down to about 35 deg if it's raining. Around 50 degrees I'm usually in shorts, for those spring races anyway.

It's cheap, that's for sure.

I think I got a 1 lbs can? It lasts me 10 or more years. I'm on my second can since I discovered it in 1988 or so at a sports store going out of business near UCONN. I think I started using it regularly in the early-mid 90s. My current can is maybe 1/4 full, and I bought it in 2008, per the post below.

Sprinter della Casa: Equipment - Atomic Balm
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-27-16, 04:18 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Thanks!
Old 02-27-16, 05:19 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
went to the bike swap telling myself i wouldn't buy anything.

left with a pair of tubular wheels for cross.

so it goes.
Old 02-27-16, 08:02 PM
burger0014

Bikes: Tarmac SL4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is what I'm using too. 2900 miles on the first set, zero flats. 800 on the second set, on some really crappy winter roads, no flats.
Old 02-28-16, 05:09 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by jsk
I have the Specialized Turbo Pro Tubeless on my road bike now; I really like them but not sure I'll keep buying them just because they retail for $100 and nobody discounts them.
FWIW, the tubeless Turbos are S-Works versions, that partially explains the price. Specialized's other road tubeless is a Roubaix for $90. I work in a Specialized/Giant LBS; Specialized sets both minimum and maximum MSRPs and they're the same number ($100) for the S-Works tubeless, and woe to the dealer that discounts them if Specialized finds out.

Demain, on roule!
Old 02-28-16, 09:12 AM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A quick counterpoint to the tubeless love (sorry): I used and loved road tubeless on bontrager rims and had a thousand or so uneventful, cushy miles. I always carried a tube and pump just like normal clincher wheels, assuming that I could throw a tube in if I had to.

One particularly terrible week my wife killed a tire on some glass and we swapped a tube and went home. Huge gash. That was fine. I did the same thing two days later on tubeless, a shell right through the tire sticking out. Wouldn't seal and several pump ups. I accepted that I was about to get covered in goop and tried to put a tube in. Problem is that once I got the tube in there was no way in hell the tire was going back on. The tubeless rim strip took up a ton of room especially at the valve. So I phoned a family member. Next day I converted back to tubes. Now I run Parigi Roubaix tires (training bike) so life is nice and fat.

Now this may not be the case for everyone. Just one data point. I have tubeless fat bikes and am fine with it.

I am however interested to see some rolling/drag tests for 28c tires on 28mm rims like stingers.
Old 02-28-16, 05:13 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[MENTION=14035]stein[/MENTION]: you can patch a large hole in a tubeless tire using those self adhesive tube patches (good for nothing else btw) and superglue to get the patch to adhere to the tire.
Old 02-28-16, 05:44 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, the tubeless Turbos are S-Works versions, that partially explains the price. Specialized's other road tubeless is a Roubaix for $90. I work in a Specialized/Giant LBS; Specialized sets both minimum and maximum MSRPs and they're the same number ($100) for the S-Works tubeless, and woe to the dealer that discounts them if Specialized finds out.
Yeah, I know how it works with Specialized, also no online sales except straight from Specialized.com. Makes their stuff less appealing to me unless it's head and shoulders above the alternatives (and in the case of the Turbo tubeless vs the new Pro One tubeless, I don't think that's the case).

The Pro One's retail for $87 but you can find them discounted if you shop around. Another thing, the "tubeless easy" is not just marketing, they really do go on easier than other tubeless. Not quite as easily as a regular clicher, but almost (I was able to get them on my HED's without tools, just my thumbs).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.