Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

29 year old man: How do I sweat less this spring/summer

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

29 year old man: How do I sweat less this spring/summer

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 06:49 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,486 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
I'd think cotton breaths more than spandex, lycra and whatever these new materials are though i think cycling clothes take sweating into account. they say they wick but do they breath well and let air in and out?
Once cotton gets wet, it can't breath. That's the advantage of athletic clothes - moisture gets wicked to the surface for evaporation
Old 02-24-16, 07:35 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Odor:
- Shower in the morning with soap before leaving. If you can't do that, at least the night before (and apply deodoerant the night before). Odor is caused by the bacteria living on your skin, soap it off and there's a lot less odor even if you sweat a lot. Most people (not all) can seat buckets but not smell if they showered in the morning and are wearing fresh clothes.
- Wash your clothes frequently for the same reason.
- If you trim or shave the armpit hair it holds onto smell/bacteria less. Fyi.
- A lot of synthetics are very bad for holding onto odor. Cotton can actually be much better, wool is great but expensive. Bottom line, if your shirt starts stinking after 1 time of wearing it try a different shirt or material.

Sweat:
- The last 10 minutes of your commute take it real easy. On a bike you basically always have a headwind - take advantage of that to cool off while biking with a lot less effort.
- You can also dial back how intensely you sweat by biking a little easier
- If you have a fridge or ice at work, drink something cold when you get to work. It will cool you down very quickly.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 02-24-16 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 07:37 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
wear shirts of high tech wicking material
Their comfortable to wear, but the drawback is that some synthetic material is really really bad for smells. I know I've had synthetic shirts (as have a lot of other people) that you wear once and they're already starting to smell, at at some point you can't wash them often enough to keep them from smelling.

Not all of them, but some of them.
Old 02-25-16, 05:09 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinglife
Hello,

So I'm going on my second warm season of serious commuting.

I was wondering if anyone would have any tips for a relative newcomer to the cycling world as regards sweating less and/or avoiding sweat altogether. Same goes for body odours.

I'm aware that a change of clothes is good idea, but are there methods and/or clothing materials that I should know about to keep sweating and odour to a minimum.

Thanks
Ride slower. That's about all you can do unless you have a shower and/or locker at your destination.
Old 02-25-16, 10:05 AM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Washing your clothes with Boraxo helps control the odors on your clothes.
A few years ago, we started making our own laundry detergent using Zote (soap), Borax, and Washing Soda.
We noticed that our clothes didn't have the strong perfume odor of detergent anymore, but more importantly, they didn't stink as much when dirty.

I found it much more noticeable with my 'hi-tech performance apparel.' I didn't smell like a wet camel when I got to work.

Another thing I did was to take some baby wipes and put them in a Ziploc bag with a little witch hazel and rubbing alcohol. I keep some in my backpack for those not-so-fresh days.
Old 02-25-16, 01:09 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stay home and watch re-runs of the TDF --- LOL
Old 02-25-16, 03:37 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
There is one thing you can do to improve comfort on those big sweat days. Start now trimming your salt. The less salt you eat on a regular basis, the less your body puts into your sweat and urine. Hence your clothes get less salty and feel better. Sweat in your eyes will sting less.

Don't go salt free right before a ride! This retraining of your body is a slow process. Takes months. But I came to dislike very salty food and food that used to need a good shake or two of salt no longer did. It was life changing. I avoided processed foods and no longer used a salt shaker. My dirty riding clothes were not salty and I was immune to the ills of low sodium on very hot and humid days, the reason I went low salt. Still had to take in potassium.
This should be taken with a grain of salt (ha ha) - I have always been at the very low range for blood sodium, and if I were to cut my salt intake much I'd go hyponatremic on a short ride. I usually need to reach for electrolyte additives pretty quickly.
Old 02-29-16, 08:01 PM
cwjDC

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620, 1989 Trek 950

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are currently using a bag or plan to get one, don't use a backpack. Get a pannier or something that hangs off the bike, not you. The airflow makes a huge difference.
Old 03-01-16, 08:24 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cwjDC
... The airflow makes a huge difference.
Agreed. Which is why I can't believe nobody has suggested - BIKE NAKED!
Old 03-01-16, 06:40 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's impossible not to sweat during those hot humid summer days...The best you can do, is to try and minimize your sweating by riding at a lower intensity, using technical fabrics which wick moisture and dry fast and also bring a deodorant with you to work. Thin lightweight merino wool is great to wear in warm weather, wool is not just good in cold weather, it also works great when it's warm.
Originally Posted by noglider
Believe it or not, a merino wool t-shirt can help control sweat and odor. I just got a Smartwool t shirt. It is extremely thin and comfortable. I haven't tried in warm weather yet, but I used to wear them. I can wear them several days in a row without smelling bad because of the material's wicking action.
Merino is the first and best of the "technical fabrics"---it built the wealth of Spain. Man has yet to make anything better. The Icebreaker tees are 150 wt. and work fine in hot weather or warm work environments. I have a merino cycling jersey that is at least as heavy as the 200 wt. base layers. I wore it just over 70 miles in the last week, as a test. Tonight I gave it to my female roommate (she could smell a mouse fart in a hurricane) and said I didn't know if this is the one I just washed or not. She stuck her nose in it and declared it "Good to go, I can't smell any funk in it"!!! Proof positive of the odor resistance of merino fabrics.
Old 03-01-16, 11:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,561 Times in 1,490 Posts
I've been wearing this new Smartwool shirt nearly every day for two weeks. I'm waiting for it to get stinky.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-03-16, 06:01 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Agreed. Which is why I can't believe nobody has suggested - BIKE NAKED!
It's because the OP is in Quebec, Canada where it is about 3 degrees F today.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 03-03-16 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-03-16, 06:45 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Ride earlier and later...
Old 03-03-16, 06:45 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
So sweating shouldn't be much of a problem, eh..?
Old 03-03-16, 11:48 PM
RandomEncounter

Bikes: Holding steady at N

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even with the advice in this thread, you're going to sweat to some extent and you're going to need to deal with it.

One way I mitigate the damage is to use dress shields—not the ones that stick to your clothing—that sit in between my armpit and my shirt. I sweat into the shields, not the armpit of my shirt, and can remove that sweat by simply taking off the dress shields when I get to my destination. I can even carry a few if I want a fresh pair later. I use these. Don't worry about the bra aspect; I don't even bother with those straps most of the time.

Also carry something you can use to wipe yourself down in a restroom if needed, like these wipes.
Old 03-04-16, 01:37 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
Merino is the first and best of the "technical fabrics"---it built the wealth of Spain. Man has yet to make anything better. The Icebreaker tees are 150 wt. and work fine in hot weather or warm work environments. I have a merino cycling jersey that is at least as heavy as the 200 wt. base layers. I wore it just over 70 miles in the last week, as a test. Tonight I gave it to my female roommate (she could smell a mouse fart in a hurricane) and said I didn't know if this is the one I just washed or not. She stuck her nose in it and declared it "Good to go, I can't smell any funk in it"!!! Proof positive of the odor resistance of merino fabrics.
A technical fabric is one made specifically for function vice aesthetics, like kevlar or a fire resistant suit.
Old 03-04-16, 01:56 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Botox injections and I'm not joking. Expensive but works.

https://www.botoxseveresweating.com
Old 03-04-16, 05:59 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try summer in Atlanta. When you go home you'll think you're not sweating anymore
Old 03-04-16, 10:36 AM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by gregjones
Wool makes me itch...
Old 03-04-16, 01:31 PM
Gnosis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
Yikes! At those temperatures, the problem "biking naked" becomes major shrinkage.
Old 03-04-16, 03:48 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the summertime on the more humid days I show up for work literally soaked with sweat. If I didn't have shoes on I would be dripping on the floor. Then strangely enough, when I get home in the afternoon (and it's hotter) the sweat evaporates off me a lot more and I just get home "damp".
Old 03-04-16, 04:00 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
if you can smell yourself and it stinks, you have a problem

many people who 'smell' don't think they smell bad, yet others smell the bad odour

ride to work earlier, use a backpack, take extra clothes and shower.... then use deodorant
Old 03-04-16, 04:25 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Slow down... Get stronger... I've found that works the best once you are done with all clothing changes...
Old 08-29-16, 07:54 AM
TimmyStevenson

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too much of a good thing...?.

There is no problem with sweating which is normal. It's the excessive sweating that starts to become a problem. I ride my bike everyday and I ride it in South Florida. It's got to be the hottest place to bike ride because the humidity alone is torture. It feels like the air is nonexistent. And my body drips from the sweat. I don't care if you LOVE sweating, but it get old real fast when it gets in your eyes and starts to sting, and sometimes I sweat so much that it starts to blur my contacts that I have in my eyes. It sucks. I have used just a little bit of a prescription strength antiperspirant right above my forehead to stop this kind of sweating and it had really helped (It's called Certain Dri). It worked so well that I use it for my armpits when I ride to just get me a fighting chance against the really hot days in Miami. Its good to sweat, but sometimes it can really prevent you from going that extra mile! I hope this helps.
Old 08-29-16, 08:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,561 Times in 1,490 Posts
@TimmyStevenson, I remember in the 70s, sweatbands on the forehead were popular. Would one of those help you? I imagine it could hold the sweat before it reaches your eyes, and you could wring it out before it becomes saturated, because once saturated, sweat would drip from the band into your eyes.

Another thought is that the only time my eyes have stung was when sweat washed sunblock into my eyes. It's horribly painful. Are you using sunblock above your eyebrows? That could be the problem rather than sweat. That happened to me when I swam in the ocean. The salt water diluted the sunblock which ran into my eyes. I no longer apply sunblock to my forehead.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.