Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Longest Day

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 03:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
The story ... complete with a photo or two: Charlene (Machka) - 2006 UMCA 24-hour Time Trial

The summary of the 2006 UMCA 24-hour Time Trial.

"Rowan and I completed 287.3 miles (462.4 kms), beating my previous best quantity in a 24-hour period of time by 20 kms. Adding it all up, we climbed approx. 9234 ft. in that distance. And I placed second ... an accomplishment which was only on my "wish list" but which I never thought would really be possible! "

That's not my longest ride ... I've done four 1200K randonnees ... but it is my longest day.
Old 03-10-16, 04:02 PM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 200k on the last day of a tour. Just wanted to get there. Respect for the 462.2 KM [MENTION=4588]Machka[/MENTION]
Old 03-10-16, 04:13 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
~130 miles. Any one of the TOSRVs I rode in, first day. First day because we'd ride from the Ohio State University campus to the start - back then it was at the Statehouse - (~5 miles), ride the 'official' first day 105 miles, ride to our overnight (~2 miles from the finish), shower, ride to the provided supper (~2 miles), ride around Portsmouth to keep the muscles from tightening after supper (~5 miles), then the 'unofficial OSU hillclimb ride' - cross over the Ohio River bridge and up the steep hill on the Kentucky side (~5 miles), then back to our overnight accommodations (5 miles 'down hill' ) Of course we had the 2-miles back to the breakfast and TOSRV day 2 start, the 105 miles of the official ride, then back to campus... for a ~240-mile weekend.

The longest ride I made solo was a ~125-mile day going around Chicago - US30 west from Valparaiso IN to IL SR31, north to near the IL/WI border. This was the fourth day of my ride from Cleveland to Madison WI, with having ridden 280 miles in the previous three days.
Old 03-10-16, 08:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
My longest single day/session rides were 125 miles, on a few occasions in Southern California during the 1970s-early '80s. These were supported rides with a club and sag wagon, so we didn't need to lug too much on our bikes. Our bike club was informally known as Me Duelen Las Nalgas, which was appropriate.

The most fun was Mexicali-San Felipe. Because it was a supported ride, but with fewer roadside cantinas than the hilly, greener Pacific coast of Baja, I used my Kirtland handlebar bag mostly to hold beer. The downside? No public restrooms. I miscalculated my beer-to-pee ratio. Usually I knew the Tijuana-Ensenada route well enough to know how much I needed to sweat to avoid needing to pee before the next cantina or final destination.

But I miscalculated on the flatter San Felipe route, and the weather was cooler than expected. A little more than halfway through I was ready for a second six-pack but needed to pee. Badly. And there were no roadside hidey holes to duck behind. I didn't want to spend the rest of the weekend in jail for urinating in public. But there was nothing but nothing along the entire route. Not even a cactus. Flat, barren, desolate. The only structures more than a few inches high were the homes made from old shipping crates and even cardboard cartons.

At last I found a little general store, just a wooden shack along the road. I bought some more beer and tried to ask the proprietor where the bathroom was. My pidgin Spanish was terrible, mostly consisting of what I'd learned to order food and beer, not how to eliminate the residue thereof. He pointed out a door, but when I looked I saw only a corral with a few horses and goats, not even an outhouse.

After several attempts, with the shop owner looking at me with increasing alarm and puzzlement, another bicyclist -- a woman with a posh British accent -- asked me "What are you trying to ask the proprietor?"

I told her "I'm trying to ask where his bathroom or men's room is."

She replied "Well, you just asked him where he keeps his horses. Try this instead..." and she asked the shop owner on my behalf.

The shop owner shrugged and, again, pointed at the side door toward the corral.

"That's also where his bathroom is," she said.

So I peed next to the horses and goats.
Old 03-10-16, 09:07 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 942 Times in 622 Posts
140 miles with my brother from CT to VT.
Did a few 100+ mile road races BITD.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-10-16, 09:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,079 Times in 2,641 Posts
In my best year of racing, 1977, I rode 175 miles twice and 160 miles twice. All but one of the 160 mile rides were alone. First 175 miler I also climbed Pack Monadnock in southern New Hampshire, 1000' at well over 10%, on a 42-19, The plan was to do 150-60 miles but I made a wrong turn on the way out and added 25. Second ride was Massachusetts flat, Cambridge out southwest, around Worcester and back. I knew it was going to be a long day, paced myself and it wasn't a big deal. It never occurred to me to try a doulbe century but that summer it wold nt have been a challenge. (I did toy with the idea of touching every New England state and maybe New York in a day but, not having a car or knowing anyone who cared, it never happened.)

Ben
Old 03-11-16, 04:14 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
228 miles. That's the distance between home and my two grandsons(and their parents). FWIW, I'm not a racer. Just wanted to do a double century. Started at 6 am and finished before midnight. Very steady. Only regret was not having enough battery power on my phone to get it all on Mapmyride. Next up this year, a triple century (hopefully). To get it done in a day, I will have to start at midnight. From my country home in SC Nebraska to Ames Iowa, home of my oldest son and DIL.
Old 03-11-16, 09:02 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
December 30, 2015.
114.9 miles, 3000ft^
7:36:28

I was determined to finish the Rapha Festive, (500km between Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve) and had already lost a full day to a flu that rampaged through the whole family, so I decided to try to finish up the event on the 30th so as to take the 31st off. Managed to roll out just before 8am, and put in 7h36m of moving time in a total of 8h54m. Routed so as to stop at home 3 times, to eat, refill bottles, restroom breaks, etc. The sun was setting quickly by 4pm (around 9.5 hours of daylight that day) and the temperature began to plummet as well. Pulled back into the driveway at just before 5pm, shortly after it went full dark. About halfway through I had an inkling that I might make 200km (another personal goal) but I wasn't going to lap the neighborhood in the pitch black for an additional 25 minutes just to do it. I don't even remember putting the bike away. The tank was empty.

Between the lingering effects of the flu, the parts of the day that were just route repeaters to make miles, and the tiny amount of daylight hours, it was far and away my longest day. But I got that tiny little patch. So <fist pump>
Old 03-11-16, 10:52 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
A hilly 98 miles on a mountain bike - some trail, more road. Only decided to do it the night before. I meant to do a century but miscalculated the route
Old 03-11-16, 11:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,599 Times in 1,079 Posts
Approximately 150km, including about 135km along the Mosel River from Schweich (just north of Trier) to Cochem on the scenic road road that was closed to motorized traffic for the annual "Happy Mosel" Autofrei Tag. It was a full day since I took the train from Walldorf, about a 6km ride from my home to Schweich about a 4 hour train trip, rode my bike the entire 135km route to Cochem, and then took the train from Cochem to Mannheim via Koblenz. From Mannheim I rode my bike about 20 km home. A wonderful one day trip, did it three times while living in Germany, the last time in 2002.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HappyMoselkarte.jpg (51.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg
MoselAutoFrei.jpg (45.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-11-16, 12:19 PM
sriley4290

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
125 miles. I decided the Friday before Memorial day last year to ride the silver comet trail to Alabama and back. ride time was 7hrs 50 minutes. plan on doing it again this year.
Old 03-11-16, 03:53 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Mine longest ride was 40 something miles (and towards the lower end if I remember right) towards the end of the season 2 years ago. I tagged along with an internet group ride out to the town my Mom lives in. while the rest of the group went into town for the festival I went to my Mom's house for a big lunch and a nap before the joining the group for the ride back. It was fun, but not something I'd want to do every day.
Old 03-11-16, 04:05 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did just over 100 miles one summer day with a good friend. It was a planned day ride from Ottawa to Kingston. I boxed my LHT and took the bus to meet my friend. We hung out that night and got a start the next morning, not too early.

I hadn't really been riding between parenting and kids and weekends away I only rode about town. And that showed, I bonked at the beginning, less than 30 miles in I think. So we relaxed I recuperated for twenty minutes and got going again. I was good the rest of the ride. We stopped every hours to hour and twenty minutes to stretch our legs. By the end the heavy LHT was lagging to my friend's light road bike, but he was amazed I was keep up as well as I was.

We got to my place after about 6-7 hours of riding and relaxed. We were both tired and just hung out and had a BBQ and went to bed early. The only issues was that my penis was numb for a day or two after, that hasn't been an issue since.

Overall it was a good ride and we had a nice time.
Old 03-11-16, 06:29 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
110 miles.....It was in 2010, was doing RAGBRAI, the bicycle ride across Iowa. I live in hilly Arkansas, had never ridden more than about 75-80 miles in one day, and that was on very rare occasions, or a few times when I've done an MS150. But one day on RAGBRAI, they offered an optional "century loop". That day was was a 75 mile ride, but you had the option of making a 25 mile loop, that would bring your total mileage to 100 for the day. That day was a perfect day for riding. Wasn't real hot, was flat terrain. By about noon, I had done 50 miles, so I thought to myself, "If I'm ever going to attempt to do a 100 mile day, today is the day". So I did it. I did 100 miles to the destination town of the day. Then I got lost at the end of the day, missed a turn somewhere, and rode all the way through the town. I wondered around, looking for the home where we were to stay for the evening, adding an additional 10 miles.
Old 03-13-16, 06:48 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
204 miles at last summers Group Health Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic. 15 hours & 15 minutes (0515 to 2030). Each year about 3K of the events 10K riders do it in one day. I did the ride in 2012, 2013, and 2014 but took two days to do it the previous 3 years.

Attached Images
File Type: png
STP-logo.png (38.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-13-16, 07:10 PM
katzenfinch 

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614, Super Mondia, Mercian, Rudge, Peugeot AO-8, Woodrup and F.H. Scott Dragon in the queue

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
RAIN (the Ride Across Indiana), which is 160 miles. I’m stepping up my game this year to train for the 2017 London-Edinburgh-London, which will average about 185 miles a day for five days.
Old 03-13-16, 09:56 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
71 miles on my 50th birthday last August. My way of giving age the one finger solute. MIGHT do a 100 sometime, but no hurry.
Old 03-14-16, 05:57 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 756 Times in 414 Posts
365 kms, 12hrs ride time/14 hrs total, I wasn't sure I could do it since my longest ride before was about 220kms, but had a strong tailwind all the way and it was easier than expected.
Old 03-15-16, 08:11 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
Thank You

Originally Posted by canklecat
My longest single day/session rides were 125 miles, on a few occasions in Southern California during the 1970s-early '80s. These were supported rides with a club and sag wagon, so we didn't need to lug too much on our bikes. Our bike club was informally known as Me Duelen Las Nalgas, which was appropriate.

The most fun was Mexicali-San Felipe. Because it was a supported ride, but with fewer roadside cantinas than the hilly, greener Pacific coast of Baja, I used my Kirtland handlebar bag mostly to hold beer. The downside? No public restrooms. I miscalculated my beer-to-pee ratio. Usually I knew the Tijuana-Ensenada route well enough to know how much I needed to sweat to avoid needing to pee before the next cantina or final destination.

But I miscalculated on the flatter San Felipe route, and the weather was cooler than expected. A little more than halfway through I was ready for a second six-pack but needed to pee. Badly. And there were no roadside hidey holes to duck behind. I didn't want to spend the rest of the weekend in jail for urinating in public. But there was nothing but nothing along the entire route. Not even a cactus. Flat, barren, desolate. The only structures more than a few inches high were the homes made from old shipping crates and even cardboard cartons.

At last I found a little general store, just a wooden shack along the road. I bought some more beer and tried to ask the proprietor where the bathroom was. My pidgin Spanish was terrible, mostly consisting of what I'd learned to order food and beer, not how to eliminate the residue thereof. He pointed out a door, but when I looked I saw only a corral with a few horses and goats, not even an outhouse.

After several attempts, with the shop owner looking at me with increasing alarm and puzzlement, another bicyclist -- a woman with a posh British accent -- asked me "What are you trying to ask the proprietor?"

I told her "I'm trying to ask where his bathroom or men's room is."

She replied "Well, you just asked him where he keeps his horses. Try this instead..." and she asked the shop owner on my behalf.

The shop owner shrugged and, again, pointed at the side door toward the corral.

"That's also where his bathroom is," she said.

So I peed next to the horses and goats.
I just laughed for about a minute. Great story.
Old 03-16-16, 12:15 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
What's the furthest or longest you've ever ridden in a day? To the bus stop, to work, a metric century, a charity ride, a stage, a brevet? Answer in the form of telling the story.
175 miles 5kft last last year..12 of us, two car sags behind us from Houston to Austin for MS 150 which was cancelled due to rain, enjoyed clean potta potys, stopped for lunch 100 mile mark
Old 03-16-16, 04:39 PM
1242Vintage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
2015 Tour of the California Alps (aka The Death Ride). Officially it's described as 122 miles and 15k feet of climbing
I was out there on the ride in 2015 too. Mileage is about right. Garmin tells me it was 125 miles. I had a leisurely pace and finished in 11 hours. I've done this ride a few times.