Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Any Clydes on Touring Bikes? (LHT, Soma Saga, etc)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 06:53 AM
mkwdrs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In general, I have read in quite a few places that touring bikes ride like a tank when unloaded. However, when weight is added with panniers, etc, etc, the bike seems to come into its own or ride less "tank-like".

WARNING - DUMB QUESTION AHEAD ...

I weight 325. So in general would touring bikes still ride "tank-like" when riding unloaded with only me on the bike? Or would it ride more like when it's weighted down with panniers, etc, etc? Does it take spreading the weight on front/rear racks for the bike to ride less "tank-like"?
Old 04-26-16, 06:55 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,279 Times in 647 Posts
Depends on the gearing.

Old 04-26-16, 07:17 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by mkwdrs
In general, I have read in quite a few places that touring bikes ride like a tank when unloaded. However, when weight is added with panniers, etc, etc, the bike seems to come into its own or ride less "tank-like".

I weight 325. So in general would touring bikes still ride "tank-like" when riding unloaded with only me on the bike? Or would it ride more like when it's weighted down with panniers, etc, etc? Does it take spreading the weight on front/rear racks for the bike to ride less "tank-like"?
That is a great question actually.

Keep in mind, many people who would be lucky to be even 200lbs, say they don't find these bikes to be "tank like".

Now is that because they haven't tried more expensive bikes or is it because this feeling isn't a universal thing.

I think it stands to reason to expect the bike would comparatively feel better for someone weighing 320lbs, than 160lbs.
Old 04-26-16, 07:32 PM
salreus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I was looking a few years ago, I test rode and fell in love with the Salsa Vaya. It was awesome and I really wanted one but couldn't come to spend $1500. I think it's the steel... so happy when I found the Coda was steel and half the price.
Old 04-26-16, 10:20 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Touring bikes are described as "tank-like" because they tend to be slow to maneuver. When you've got a bunch of weigh strapped to the front and rear of the bike, this is exactly what you want! Strap a handlebar bag or front panniers to a non-touring road bike and the front wheel wants to flop all over the place when it leans even a little past vertical. The slower, more stable handling of a touring bike helps to counteract the weight mounted at either end. With a heavier rider, the weight tends to be centered over the wheelbase, so chances are it will still won't feel like as maneuverable as a race- or endurance-geometry bike. That doesn't mean that a touring bike isn't a great option, however! If you're not trying to rip down tight, twisty descents at car-like speeds you'll probably find that a touring bike can work quite well...
Old 04-26-16, 10:49 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Liked 2,014 Times in 972 Posts
A (bare) touring bike is maybe 30 lbs. and a sport bike of equal value maybe 20 lbs., but a fair percentage of that is in the wheels and tires, and that's certainly noticeable in increased stability and decreased acceleration. And a touring bike will have a stiffer frame but usually softer tires, so there's that.

More than once I've described my bike as being "a Cadillac, not a sports car". It's not a tank. A Pugsley is a tank.
Old 04-27-16, 07:38 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is my touring bike. Is this config (with light tires) its around 25 lbs and rides like a regular steel road bike. Super smooth.

This is the same bike loaded down for touring with heavy touring wheels and tires + full racks and bags. I think it weighs about 60 lbs here and feels like a tank:

Point being, you can dial in feel a bit.
Old 04-27-16, 09:40 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
A (bare) touring bike is maybe 30 lbs. and a sport bike of equal value maybe 20 lbs., but a fair percentage of that is in the wheels and tires, and that's certainly noticeable in increased stability and decreased acceleration. And a touring bike will have a stiffer frame but usually softer tires, so there's that.
Yep, cheap touring bikes are heavy. Touring bikes don't have to be heavy, though. Mine weighs 22 pounds versus my road bike which is around 17 pounds.
Old 04-27-16, 11:18 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Yep, cheap touring bikes are heavy. Touring bikes don't have to be heavy, though. Mine weighs 22 pounds versus my road bike which is around 17 pounds.
Let me guess, you have a Nashbar aluminum touring bike?
Old 04-27-16, 02:19 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I think some of the tank like feel has to do with the wheelbase on the touring bikes, if you look at touring bikes there is a large gap between the rear tire and the seat tube and also the head tube angle is more relaxed. this makes the bike have a longer turning radius. Loading the bike with low rider front panniers will lower the center of gravity of the front fork making the ride more stable. The wider touring tires would also make the ride feel more plush.

My touring bike is in the is 24 lbs w/o racks or fenders, it feels like a tank to me because I normally ride road bikes that are below 20 lbs. An the gearing is very low on this bike so the fast is still slow. I changed the road triple out with a mountain triple, and have changed the cassette from a 11-28 to a 12-36. When I go touring, this is a fine bike.

I think at your weight that a touring bike would feel more stable than a 16 lb road bike.

I was just thinking, what do you mean by more tank like? slow and clumsy? or more like the difference between 2 seater roadster vs a caddy? I think of the roadster versus the caddy a better comparison. My road bikes with the very narrow tires are quick handling and have a harsh ride while the touring bikes isn't as sporty, it turns like a truck, takes some time to slow down and has a cushy ride that I can stay in the saddle all day, day after day.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 04-27-16 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 02:58 PM
BigMo59

Bikes: 2014 Trek Shift 4, 2015 Surly Disc Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a lot of bicycle buying experience but I bought a Surly Disc Trucker last July when I was at 275#. I've got 2250 miles on it with no troubles at all. I'm at 220 now but it's carried me around very well so far.
Old 04-27-16, 08:46 PM
sstorkel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Let me guess, you have a Nashbar aluminum touring bike?
Yes. But I think the majority of the weight difference comes from the component selection (an Ultegra drive-train left-over from another bike) plus wheels and tires that were built for riding on roads near populated areas rather than riding around the world.
Old 04-28-16, 08:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,172 Times in 1,335 Posts
I normally ride a touring bike, although I have a nice light road bike too.

Funny thing is, after 5 minutes on either one, the bike seems to disappear as I get used to handling and shifting. Back on the touring bike? Yeah, it handles a bit slow: for half a mile or so. Switch to the road bike? Wow, this thing is twitchy -- for the same half mile.

I've always tried to take a 3-4 mile test ride on a new bike. There are some things that stick up after that long, and lots of things that disappear. Steering and acceleration are usually in the latter category.
Old 04-28-16, 02:17 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Touring bikes ride "tank like" for two reasons. 1) They are heavier bikes, and 2) They have longer wheelbases.

If you need/want to haul something other than yourself, then a touring bike is great. The longer wheelbase makes it stable when lots of bags are strapped to it, and the heavier frame makes it less like a noodle under load.

If the bike is just for you, though, you don't need to go full touring to get a bike that is strong enough to support you. A decent steel cross bike would be a little snappier and still be tough as nails.
Old 04-28-16, 03:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Ive been using my touring bike touring before I hit 45 and the weight came to stay..

and continue to like that style of bike, now that I'm 68 & 220#..

Now my Panniers mostly get used for grocery trips.

Never did Drive a Tank,. But I met up with an M1 Abrams, on the Rhine River Levee top road , blocking my path, in 1988.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-28-16 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-28-16, 06:18 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Liked 69 Times in 46 Posts
Components, rims construction, frame material, and frame geometry account for major differences in bike handling, but don't overlook the tire geometry.

My touring bikes include: 1981 Schwinn Super Sport, 1984 Trek 520, 1986 Trek 620, 1986 Cannondale ST400. These are all triple crank bikes with 27" x 1 1/4" tires. The tires are equivalent to a 32mm wide 700c tire, so it is plush comfortable ride. I would never describe the ride performance tank like, as in riding a cruiser, 3 speed, or low end mountain bike.

I own a huge group of racing and sport bikes which include: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1989 Schwinn Paramount, 1985 Trek 560, 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus. As a representative sample, these all run on 700c tires no wider than 28mm. Although none are harsh riders, I would not use the word plush in describing ride comfort.
Old 04-29-16, 06:55 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,473 Times in 8,170 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Touring bikes are described as "tank-like" because they tend to be slow to maneuver. When you've got a bunch of weigh strapped to the front and rear of the bike, this is exactly what you want! Strap a handlebar bag or front panniers to a non-touring road bike and the front wheel wants to flop all over the place when it leans even a little past vertical. The slower, more stable handling of a touring bike helps to counteract the weight mounted at either end. With a heavier rider, the weight tends to be centered over the wheelbase, so chances are it will still won't feel like as maneuverable as a race- or endurance-geometry bike. That doesn't mean that a touring bike isn't a great option, however! If you're not trying to rip down tight, twisty descents at car-like speeds you'll probably find that a touring bike can work quite well...
OP: I commute and do fully loaded tours on an LHT. The above sum things up nicely.
Old 04-29-16, 01:33 PM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / 2024 Surly Karate Monkey / Surly Grappler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a LHT at weights from 310 to 350 plus a 15 ish lb bag of fix it all. I also have a crossbike that I feel is a bit twitchy. Get on a cross or road bike and if it feels a bit unstable to you, you're a perfect candidate for a touring bike. I lose maybe half a mph on my average speed over two hours, but I find the tour bike more enjoyable.
Old 04-29-16, 06:43 PM
digger531

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Salsa Vaya, Redline D440, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a Salsa Vaya with 35mm tires, leather saddle, rack, and flat peddles.and a Schwinn Super Sport with 25mm tires with clipless. I have never been able to prove the Schwinn is faster. Same course, same wind, same temp....same speed. Its the engine not the bike. Get a bike that will take wide tires and buy a good saddle and have fun. You won't ride if you are miserable and you will be on 25mm tires
Old 04-29-16, 06:45 PM
digger531

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Salsa Vaya, Redline D440, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And by the way, my wife rides that Novara Verita also and loves it.
Old 04-30-16, 07:51 AM
jcova58

Bikes: 2014 Surly Ogre (hybrid) utility/tour bike, 2009 Mongoos full suspension mtn bike, 1999 LeMons Buenos Aires road bike, 1982 Nishiki Cresta road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clydesdale on a Surly Ogre.

Consider a bike that'll accommodate wider tires. The Surly Ogre is a 29er frame that I built into a utility/touring road bike. I put some 2.0(@50mm wide) schwalbe marathon tires with some personally built wheels with beefier spokes. Not only does my ride look good, it rides beautifully.

Last edited by jcova58; 04-30-16 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-30-16, 08:38 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I have a steel Windsor Tourist (which is about the same as the steel Nashbar TR1 Touring and the Fuji Touring). It's about 10 lbs heavier than my CF Giant Defy Advanced.

I'm certainly slower on the Windsor by about 2 mph even on a flat ride without panniers. A lot of that is due to a more upright position. I rode the Windsor 3 times this week as (1) I have a 6-day tour coming up in June, and (2) I have the Giant torn down for maintenance.

On the other hand, the Windsor is a great riding bike. It's much more stable than the Giant. I wouldn't call the Windsor a tank at all.