Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saddle positioning

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle positioning

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 09:30 AM
digger531

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Salsa Vaya, Redline D440, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saddle positioning

I have read a ridiculous amount of info regarding fitting, and saddles and KNOP and have spent more than my share of money trying to find the perfect saddle and angle and height and and and ....After a while I did settle in a a Brooks B17 narrow and it was "fine". Not perfect but as good as I thought it could get. I have done centuries on it and again, it is "fine"

Then I started riding again this spring and thought there has to be something better than "fine" and therefor the reason for this post. I started adjusting. A little tweak here a little tweak there. Forward, back, up, down, tilt up, tilt down. As I was riding one day and contemplating all that I had read through my years about saddles wondering if it was time to break out the wallet again I remembered one small, obscure idea that I had read mentioned briefly some where....

TURN YOUR SADDLE SLIGHTLY TO ONE SIDE

I immediately stopped and tweaked my saddle a little to the right, rode, tweaked a bit more, rode, just a little more (I moved the noise a little more than an inch at this point) and NIRVANA. I can not believe the difference this has made in my comfort on the bike. When I got home I immediately grabbed my Super Sport down from the rafters with the torturous seat it has on it and gave it a twist. It is as comfortable as my Brooks was before I twisted it.

I can not believe this isn't talked about more often. I urge all male riders to twist your saddle, twist it a lot.

Please report back here after a ride. Maybe it is just me or maybe this is the answer to all mankind's problems
Old 04-30-16, 09:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Yeah, I've mentioned that several times.

I'm a female cyclist, but I like my saddle pointing slightly off to the left. Reason being ... my hips/pelvis are not straight and I have a slight leg length difference so my saddle is more comfortable when it isn't straight.
Old 04-30-16, 09:36 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
I know of one rider that Turned his Saddle completely around and found it worked well for him.

Old 04-30-16, 10:06 AM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can just image the fitter at the LBS saying in his best English accent "Do you saddle left or right sir."

Funny story: My wife and I were riding a tandem for the second time. After a few miles she became aware that her bars were not straight and gave them a good twist. Luckily I was wearing bibs and nothing of particular value was adversely impacted but it was a bit of a surprise. Now I know why you don't want to miss calling a bump.
Old 04-30-16, 10:20 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yeah, I've mentioned that several times.
I'm a female cyclist, but I like my saddle pointing slightly off to the left. Reason being ... my hips/pelvis are not straight and I have a slight leg length difference so my saddle is more comfortable when it isn't straight.
Originally Posted by Stick69
I can just image the fitter at the LBS saying in his best English accent "Do you saddle left or right sir."
I wonder if we might not be over-thinking the cause/reason behind the slight right-left difference. My right arm is bigger at the bicep.... simply because I am naturally right handed. In the Army... marching begins with the left foot (putting all the weight on the right)... because most people are right legged. I've never attempted to measure a buttocks. But I would guess most people (of both sexes) have slightly more muscle mass on the right cheek.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 04-30-16 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-30-16, 10:34 AM
Stick69

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I wonder if we might not be over-thinking the cause/reason behind the slight right-left difference. My right arm is bigger at the bicep.... simply because I am naturally right handed. In the Army... marching begins with the left foot (putting all the weight on the right)... because most people are right legged. I've never attempted to measure a buttocks. But I would guess most people (of both sexes) have slightly more muscle mass on the right cheek.
Most of us sit a lot and probably don't sit symmetrically leading to lack of symmetry in our shortened connective tissue. Sometimes I notice I am walking like John Wayne. Rededication to stretching eventually reverses this for me.
Old 04-30-16, 10:38 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Stick69
Most of us sit a lot and probably don't sit symmetrically leading to lack of symmetry in our shortened connective tissue.
I think MOST 1st world people sit way too much to naturally maintain an attractive walking gait.
Old 04-30-16, 10:52 AM
Stick69

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now that we all agree there are many reasons for lack of symmetry, do you ride until an irritation develops and then turn the nose a bit away from said irritation?
Old 04-30-16, 05:40 PM
digger531

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think the symetry or lack there of has anything to do with what I was finding. It simply gives a little room and takes the pressure off.

I have only done short rides of around 15 miles since this amazing discovery and have had no irritation to speak of as yet. I also noticed it was slightly easier to balance while riding with no hands because the nose of the seat is easier to press your thigh against.
Old 04-30-16, 05:57 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Liked 983 Times in 498 Posts
I can't see this as being a permanent solution to perceived pressure on the perineum and/or naughty bits. There are other adjustments, saddle choices, rider position options and garment selections that can be explored.

Old 05-01-16, 09:00 AM
digger531

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I can't see this as being a permanent solution to perceived pressure on the perineum and/or naughty bits. There are other adjustments, saddle choices, rider position options and garment selections that can be explored.
I assure you that I am well versed in all fitting aspects of bikes and have tried numerous saddles and positioning. I have ranged from 12% body fat to 25% and have gone several months without biking to being on my bike daily. I have done plenty of centuries as well as short trips both with and without riding shorts. This is not a band aid solution covering up an incorrect saddle or poor fit. I would wager I was more comfortable on my Brooks (before I twisted) than 90% of riders. I encourage you to try it before suggesting that it doesn't or won't help.
Old 05-01-16, 09:12 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've found that it does help, in my case it's only a couple of degrees. If nothing else it's easier to scrunch around for a better position.
Old 05-01-16, 10:31 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I definitely don't have the experience that a lot of you do, but from MY perspective, I think you simply adjust as close as possible then let your body adjust to anything that's slightly off. There are so many variables and combinations in fitting a bike, I think I could spend all my time adjusting and never get it perfect.
Old 05-01-16, 10:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
I'd suppose that anyone with a well used saddle could look at it and determine which side of saddle (if any) is showing more wear than the other... and this could be a hint to rotate the seat in direction opposite the more worn side.

Take these examples.. anyone care to advise if the owner of this saddle should rotate it, or does this invite even more of a tendency to overfavor one leg vs the other? These reflect both right-side nose and sitting surface wear to larger degree than left side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0962.JPG (68.6 KB, 35 views)
IMG_0963.JPG (79.2 KB, 31 views)
IMG_0961.JPG (74.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Sy Reene; 05-01-16 at 11:15 AM. Reason: photos added