Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Front rack for bike with unusual eyelets

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 11:10 AM
lax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello BikeForums,

I have a 2016 Bombtrack Arise that want to fit a front rack on, as you can see the mounts (eyelets) are unusually placed on the fork:
I am looking for something that has ideally got high and low rider positions as well as a small platform. Any ideas on what rack might fit? It looks like the mid fork eyelet is offset to match the position of the lower one but i'm not sure if this will cause strange fitting behaviour with racks like the jandd extreme...

EDIT:

Last edited by lax; 05-01-16 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added dimensions.
Old 05-01-16, 12:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
They Just chose to use a Brazed in boss rather than getting a dropout with Eyelets in the part it self..

Old Man Mountain racks use a skewer* mount, you can Use the other for Mudguard struts.

*simply a rear 135 instead of a front 100mm..

Why not visit a Shop with Racks and fit them on in person?

To be more informative, add measured Dimensions to your picture ?
Others can compare measurements on their Bikes to say what fits what they Bought..

Did you write JandD and ask? they can send dimensions Back.

Call a round to bike shops that carry touring gear .. with the dimensions and they can measure their stock..
Wayne Boroughs at the touring store https://www.thetouringstore.com/ has a stellar reputation...

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-02-16 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-01-16, 12:15 PM
indyfabz

Liked 16,202 Times in 7,603 Posts
Contact Rivendell about the Nitto Big front rack.
Old 05-01-16, 12:22 PM
str

Liked 530 Times in 256 Posts
you can also buy a Tubus Tara and adjust it to your needs, thats what I did. works fine, you just need a welder.
Old 05-01-16, 12:58 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Liked 600 Times in 433 Posts
I suspect people are overthinking this. Those braze ons are clearly intended to take a standard set of lowrider racks, albeit an inch or so higher up than usual.

You could always contact Bombtrack if you are unsure.
Old 05-01-16, 01:06 PM
lax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Old Man Mountain racks use a skewer* mount, you can Use the other for Mudguard struts.

*simply a rear 135 instead of a front 100mm..
Looks like this is a good option, I like that it sits in front of the fork a bit so that it cant hit the frame when the handlebars are turned.

Why not visit a Shop with Racks and fit them on in person?
I would love to but unfortunately I live in rural Ontario.

To be more informative, add measured Dimensions to your picture ?
Others can compare measurements on their Bikes to say what fits what they Bought..

Did you write JandD and ask? they can send dimensions Back.
Good idea, I really like the look (and the price) of the extreme rack.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dimensions.jpg (18.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-01-16, 01:08 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Maybe this one? https://www.bikebagshop.com/surly-fr...ck-p-3651.html
Old 05-01-16, 01:39 PM
Doug64

Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I suspect people are overthinking this. Those braze ons are clearly intended to take a standard set of lowrider racks, albeit an inch or so higher up than usual.

You could always contact Bombtrack if you are unsure.
I think this is correct. I just measured 5 forks; and the distance from the mid fork braze-on to the bottom eyelet varied from 6.5" to 6.75." The Tubus Tara fits easily on all of them.
Old 05-01-16, 01:55 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by lax
...jandd extreme...
I have the JandD Extreme rack. I had to bend the mounting stays a fair bit (for Al) to get it to mount exactly level on a Surly LHT, which has pretty std rack mounts and locations. The paint comes off the JandD rack especially fast (they all lose paint with use). If you don't mind bending then you can probably make this rack fit the Arise.

Although it costs more, you are more likely to get a good fit with an Old Man Mountain rack, since it doesn't rely on frame/fork bosses for mounting. Note you lose the lowrider mount option with OMM rack, although the lowrider position of the JandD is actually more of a mid-height than low height. Also, OMM racks are made for 12mm diameter pannier hooks, so make sure the intended panniers are compatible.

You could even fit an OMM rack to the rear of the Arise, although it's 420mm chainstay length means you'd also need small bags, small feet, or both to mitigate heel-strike. The Arise's rear rack lower mount point is so close to the BB I doubt you could get any std rack/rear bag combination to fit without heel strike - smaller front bags on the rear may fit.

OMM also makes a hub-mount lowrider rack, not seen often but reportedly very sturdy.

Your lightest, cheapest option for a lowrider rack would be a Tubus Tara, purchased from European vendor. England shops might ship USA for free, German shops charge but the rack is even cheaper so price about the same. Whether it would fit level on the Arise is anyone's guess.
Old 05-01-16, 02:44 PM
lax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Although it costs more, you are more likely to get a good fit with an Old Man Mountain rack
Looks like this is going to be my best option. I will probably use Arkel panniers since I am in Canada.
Old 05-01-16, 05:02 PM
Doug64

Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by lax
Looks like this is going to be my best option. I will probably use Arkel panniers since I am in Canada.
Using a hub mounted rack, when it may not be necessary, may have some disadvantages. The front quick release skewer needs to be completely removed to remove the front wheel. This would have to be done when shipping or fixing flat tires. An inconvenience, but not necessary.

Originally Posted by seeker333
Your lightest, cheapest option for a lowrider rack would be a Tubus Tara, purchased from European vendor. England shops might ship USA for free, German shops charge but the rack is even cheaper so price about the same. Whether it would fit level on the Arise is anyone's guess.
Tubus racks are widely available in the north America.
Old 05-01-16, 07:04 PM
lax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great responses! Has anyone here used a Blackburn Outpost front rack? looks like it might be a good option since it can mount on either the hub or an eyelet.
Old 05-02-16, 08:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Liked 1,505 Times in 1,175 Posts
How much weight do you want on your front platform. I have a small Nashbar rack on the front for a small platform for small light items. In the photo I have an orange vest that I wore earlier in the day. But I would not put more weight on it than a couple water bottles.

Then I have a Tubus Ergo for the lowrider setup.

If it is hard to get the Nashbar rack in Canada, Sunlight makes a very similar one.

I prefer the Ergo to the Tara, but they are both good racks. But if it really is important for you to have a choice of higher and lower low rider positions, then this combination will not work for you.
Attached Images
20IMGP3649.jpg (75.8 KB, 87 views)
Old 05-02-16, 08:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I too Own a Tubus Ergo* . My bike has a fork crown mounted headlight , and a handlebar bag, rather than a Minirack.

*bought a bike from Koga, (used 3rd owner,1st one brought it back)
European companies sell bikes fully equipped saving the whole I bought a frame and fork and what will Fit it ?exercise.
the NL company Got the Low rider rack to have it's own kickstand,
by having a Bracket added by the Tubus company before the Powder coat was applied.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-02-16 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-02-16, 08:34 AM
lax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too Own a Tubus Ergo* . My bike has a fork crown mounted headlight , and a handlebar bag, rather than a Minirack.
I am now considering the combo approach with a lowrider rack and a handlebar bag (or possibly a minirack). I just found the Arkel AC Lowrider (Used to be sold by OMM?) which looks like it might be a nice compromise with a few extra inches of ground clearance than most other lowriders including Tubus. Bonus is that I can order it at the same time as my Arkel panniers!
Old 05-02-16, 09:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

FWIW Want Ground clearance ? A front rack that is Not Low riding will do that just fine .

Tubus Smarti rack is some where between the 2 tubus - Smarti
tubus - Smarti
https://extrawheelshop.com/product/im...er-rysunek.jpg
Old 05-02-16, 09:04 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Liked 1,505 Times in 1,175 Posts
Originally Posted by lax
I am now considering the combo approach with a lowrider rack and a handlebar bag (or possibly a minirack). I just found the Arkel AC Lowrider (Used to be sold by OMM?) which looks like it might be a nice compromise with a few extra inches of ground clearance than most other lowriders including Tubus. Bonus is that I can order it at the same time as my Arkel panniers!
That Arkel looks like it offers a lot of adjustability, which is good because when your mounts are not like the ones on all other bikes, that can be important. It looks like you only have one position for the low rider, but that is not a problem either.

A handlebar bag and small platform can work together, but the handlebar bag clearly can limit how much you get on the rack. In this photo I have my rain jacket on the rack under my handlebar bag. This is the Sunlight (or maybe Sunlite?) rack, not the Nashbar one.

If you mount a handlebar bag, note how I used a second stem to lower it.
Attached Images
20IMGP1155.jpg (102.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 05-02-16, 10:08 AM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by lax
I think that is a better plan, especially since you have the right braze-ons on the fork already.

The OMM seems more suited for someone who needs to put a front rack on an MTB suspension fork with no mounting points.

It looks to me like that bike doesn't have a drilled fork crown, so a mini rack isn't going to work (unless you drill the fork and void the warranty). No worries though, a handlebar bag will do nicely. Like Tourist in MSM says, it may be difficult to use both, and I'd rather have a handlebar bag than a little trunk bag on a platform.
Old 05-02-16, 11:06 AM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jandd low rider. Very very forgiving regarding mount points. Super simple it just works construction.

Edit: Use a washer in the slider area.
Old 05-08-16, 11:00 PM
spinachface

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone RB-1, Bianchi M.U.S.S, 1992 GT Bravado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nitto M18. No panniers, but has adjustable fork mounts and a fixed eyelet mount.