Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So...do I tip him?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So...do I tip him?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 09:59 PM
Coppi51

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
So...do I tip him?

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not...

Last week I placed an order for my new bike...ended up spending a lot but its exactly what I want...5900 110 carbon frame/
X lite wheels/ITM/Thompson/Ultegra. So this is not a stock Trek combination, and the shop is getting the frame and
assembling the bike with the components I requested. The shop owner is extrememly helpful, and seems to be a very
genuine guy wanting the customer to be happy and have a bike that fits.

So when I go pick up the bike do I tip him? I guess basically for assembling the bike and helping with all the measurements
and fitment? The price for the stuff I'm getting seems pretty fair, but just curious if anyone has any opinions on tipping...

btw, www.jensonusa.com is having some good sales...just got an '02 Bell Ghisallo helmet for only $65!

Old 03-14-03, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
No.

He should assemble the bike when it gets to the shop. That's his job. Let him do it. I'm sure he made his money off the top from selling you that bike.

Send us a pic when you get situated.

Koffee

Old 03-14-03, 10:19 PM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No tip. He's getting revenue from the sale. You can show appreciation with your future business.
Old 03-14-03, 10:25 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Coppi51
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not...

Last week I placed an order for my new bike...ended up spending a lot but its exactly what I want...5900 110 carbon frame/
X lite wheels/ITM/Thompson/Ultegra. So this is not a stock Trek combination, and the shop is getting the frame and
assembling the bike with the components I requested. The shop owner is extrememly helpful, and seems to be a very
genuine guy wanting the customer to be happy and have a bike that fits.

So when I go pick up the bike do I tip him? I guess basically for assembling the bike and helping with all the measurements
and fitment? The price for the stuff I'm getting seems pretty fair, but just curious if anyone has any opinions on tipping...

btw, www.jensonusa.com is having some good sales...just got an '02 Bell Ghisallo helmet for only $65!

frick nice

what size is that?
Old 03-14-03, 10:28 PM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with those above. No tip.

If you really like the job he does, drop off a six pack some evening near closing time.
Old 03-14-03, 10:38 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
I have found that a six-pak of Fat Tire Amber, or some of the wife's fresh baked cookies will convey my appreciation to the guys at the LBS more than money.
Old 03-15-03, 07:21 AM
Robtaylor1613

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No tip -
But I will often bring the shop guys a snack or buy 'em a diet dew from the shop next door if they let me use their tools or do a bang-up or last-minute pre-race labor job.

Bike stuff is too expensive to be expected to tip on top of it!
Old 03-15-03, 11:00 AM
dws5b

Bikes: Scott CR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would consider a six pack of good beer like fat tire amber ale a great tip. Just to say thanks.
Old 03-15-03, 11:58 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Robtaylor 1613 ......Bike stuff is too expensive to be expected to tip on top of it!
Rob: A quick lesson in tipping; a tip is a reward to someone who goes above and beyond the norm to help you, make your experience better or add to whatever was agreed upon in the first place. A tip should never be expected by anyone. But a tip should be given to someone who has done you an unexpected favor. Just because something (bike stuff) is 'expensive' should not preclude a reward. An example would be if you took your bike to the LBS for a persistent noise. They removed and regereased the bottom bracket, crankset, chainring bolts and the noise went away. When you came to pick the bike up they told you "By the way we trued up your rear wheel because we found a couple of loose spokes, no charge". To me, this is good stuff. The LBS did me a HUGE favor without me asking. I am valuable enough to the LBS that he would do that for me. Well, he is valuable enough to me that I would reward all the guys, as a way to say thank you very much, with a case of good beer, or soda or a pizza (or three) or all of the above.

That's an example of when you tip. It's a reward, a way of saying thanks. And it's a two-way street. Don't you think that they will remember you the next time you visit and need something?
Old 03-15-03, 12:33 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No because its getting out of hand,the money out of mine.Man we tip everybody for doing the job.Why dont we tip the mailman on those heavy mail days?Tip the streetsweeper for that extre water when doing the gutters.Lets keep it to the lowest wage earners.waitress,carwash,carparker,baggage carrier,those that get min.hourly.IMO
Old 03-15-03, 12:44 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

shokhead: You miss the point. A tip, or reward is voluntary. I am the world's worst tipper at a restaurant. If the server merely does their job, serves me food and gets the order correct, I don't tip. However, if the server enhances my eating experience, then a tip is considered. If I get flak at an eating establishment about not leaving a tip, that person is in the wrong business.

Again, a tip should NOT be expected by anyone, or every time. It is a reward for doing something, unexpected and without asking, for you. More often than not a simple "thanks a lot!" will suffice. Buit then there are the times when a tip, of some sort should be given, because a thank you is not enough.
Old 03-15-03, 02:48 PM
Coppi51

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys...

I will post some pics when I get the bike...should be in early this week...I can't wait...

KennethToronto: The helmet is a large
Old 03-15-03, 03:36 PM
amerpie
On yer' left

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Davet
shokhead: You miss the point. A tip, or reward is voluntary. I am the world's worst tipper at a restaurant. If the server merely does their job, serves me food and gets the order correct, I don't tip. However, if the server enhances my eating experience, then a tip is considered. If I get flak at an eating establishment about not leaving a tip, that person is in the wrong business.

Again, a tip should NOT be expected by anyone, or every time. It is a reward for doing something, unexpected and without asking, for you. More often than not a simple "thanks a lot!" will suffice. Buit then there are the times when a tip, of some sort should be given, because a thank you is not enough.
I don't know how it is where you live, but here, servers don't even make minimum wage, they have to pay taxes based on their gross food sales, and they also have to pay out to bus staff and hostesses based on gross food sales.

I haven't waited tables in many, many years but having done it, I am well aware of what a crappy job it can be. I'm glad there are still people wanting to do it. I'd hate to have to order all my meals from a standup counter.

As for tipping the LBS guy... I don't tip someone who owns any establishment (i.e., hair salon). For employees, follow the golden rule and you can't go wrong.

Peace,
Lou
Old 03-15-03, 03:45 PM
Gordon P

When I was in my late teens I worked part time at a transmission shop and we would receive lots of beer tips. It was appreciated by all of us on the floor and the shop owner encouraged it! The rule was that we could only drink on Thursday’s nights and Saturdays or after the shop was closed. It was good for moral and it would push us to do little jobs for our customers for nothing, which encouraged them to buy us more beer and tell their friends about us. It was a good business move, not sure if it would be suitable it today’s work environment.

Old 03-15-03, 04:16 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

I don't know how it is where you live, but here, servers don't even make minimum wage, they have to pay taxes based on their gross food sales, and they also have to pay out to bus staff and hostesses based on gross food sales.
So, you're saying that one should tip because the waitperson has chosen a low-paying job? That really sticks in my craw. The fact that eateries are allowed to pay sub-standard wages, and that people would choose jobs that pay sub-standard wages is not a basis for if and when I tip. If I tip and when I tip is solely based on the service I receive from the person giving it. I have tipped chefs directly because the food was cooked exactly liked I asked for, and I've not tipped waitstaff because they did nothing for me other than put the food in front of me. The fact that a person is doing the job they are paid to do does not merit a tip. The notion that anyone deserves a tip simply because they work in a particular career field is a false premise foisted upon us by the industry that wants to keep wages low, and nurtured by the people that choose to work in that career field.
Old 03-15-03, 04:24 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes you can't choose the job,it chooses you.
Old 03-15-03, 04:56 PM
amerpie
On yer' left

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, you're saying that one should tip because the waitperson has chosen a low-paying job?

Yeah dude, all these people turned down jobs as CEOs so they could rip you off on geting an extra $3 from your weekly paycheck. Tipping is a societal norm. Who are you making working class people kiss your lycra clad butt? Sometime we should be nice because it is the right thing to do. Don't like tipping? Eat at McDonalds.

People who ride $1000+ bike who won't tip a struggling student or a single Mom who is WORKING (as opposed to not working) give self-centeredness a bad name...

Last edited by amerpie; 03-15-03 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-15-03, 05:23 PM
Coppi51

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
hehe...no need to argue guys I appreciate all your comments

Thanks again...I might be picking up the bike tomorrow! woooo hoooooooo!
Old 03-15-03, 05:41 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
So, you're saying that one should tip because the waitperson has chosen a low-paying job?
Around here, the hourly wage without tips for a wait person is $2.33 per hour.

I consider a tip to be a part of the cost of the meal - I just automatically figure it into the price at 15%. If bad service, I give 10%. If great, I give 20%. The IRS taxes them as if they had gotten 12% tips.

Like it or not, tipping is an integral part of our culture. If you don't like it, perhaps McDonalds?
Old 03-15-03, 06:15 PM
Stor Mand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by DnvrFox
Around here, the hourly wage without tips for a wait person is $2.33 per hour.

I consider a tip to be a part of the cost of the meal - I just automatically figure it into the price at 15%. If bad service, I give 10%. If great, I give 20%. The IRS taxes them as if they had gotten 12% tips.

Like it or not, tipping is an integral part of our culture. If you don't like it, perhaps McDonalds?
Exactly . I'll tip the waiter even if the food isn't great, as long as the service was decent.
Davet - Do you go back to the same restaurants often .. you know, the ones that you didn't tip at because they didn't "exceed" in there job serving you? I'd be worrying about getting my food spat in.

Oh, regarding the original question .. I'd say no but that is a personal choice. It's not like the food/service industry.
Old 03-15-03, 07:02 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Boy, I sure touched a nerve here!

I still have a hard time trying to figure why you would pay extra for something, just because of the wages of the worker.

O.K. then, lets turn this back to you all, and keep it in a bicycling context. My question to you is; why do you buy bike stuff on-line even though your LBS is struggling and most likely is not making a great deal of money doing something he enjoys? The average wage of a good mechanic is way below what his equivalent in the auto industry makes. The argument that you proffered to me, about how restaurant employees are underpaid is the reason that a tip should be given regardless, then should be the same for the LBS and his workers who are often underpaid based on their skill, knowledge and inventory of what you want. I think if you truly believed what you are asserting here, to me, you would be shopping and buying at the LBS and not at the internet stores.
Old 03-15-03, 07:15 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I still have a hard time trying to figure why you would pay extra for something, just because of the wages of the worker.
i don't pay extra. As I stated, I figure the up-front cost of my meal to include the tip. If the menu states $10.00, I figure $11.50.

As to the bicycle shop analogy, I failt to see that it is an analogy. The discrete parts simply are not parallel. But, in any event, I do buy a lot at my LBS, and give them a lot of repair work. I consider a good relationship with my LBS to be an important part of my bicycling experience. I like it when I go into the lBS and they know me by my first name. I also go to McDonald's at times and don't pay tips. I guess you might compare that to Nashbar.

Again, I just don't follow the analogy.

My son worked as a waiter. He ALWAYS tips high - he know from first-hand experience how important that is to the waiter.

If the service is lousy, I let the manager know.

I enjoy sharing my resources with others. Makes me feel good.

Anyway, have a great day.
Old 03-15-03, 07:20 PM
Stor Mand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O.K. then, lets turn this back to you all, and keep it in a bicycling context. My question to you is; why do you buy bike stuff on-line even though your LBS is struggling and most likely is not making a great deal of money doing something he enjoys snipping
Umm .. I don't buy my stuff online. I buy it at the LBS. They give me a little discount for purchasing the bike there but I'd probably buy stuff there anyway, unless the deal was too good to pass up online.

I wouldn't mess with people serving me food. There are so many ways they can get get back at you. Don't be so cheap and give'm a tip.
So, do you - Davet - frequent the same restaurants (where they spit in the guy's food that doesn't tip)? Or do you show up in silly disguises?
Old 03-15-03, 07:34 PM
Gordon P

In some countries restaurant staff are considered professionals and are trained to do their job correctly. Instead of a voluntary tip, it is added to the bill in plain site, if you are happy with the experience it is appreciated that you add a little more. If you are un-happy than you should speak with the head server. I prefer it this way!

$2.33 is this real?

The average wage of a good mechanic is way below what his equivalent in the auto industry makes.
He also works seasonal with no or few benefits.

I am almost ready to by a touring bike and I can save money by ordering it from the factory and bypass my LBS that deals with this brand. I will save about $200.00 Canadian and not have to pay the 7% provincial tax. Okay, I will have to pay shipping, assemble it and deal with adjustments and any problems.

But for the extra $200.00 the LBS will deal with the shipping, assemble it and deal with the headaches and my anger if it does not work right. The LBS has offered me 25% off accessories for the bike and will do an annual tune up and adjustments as needed and will give me ASAP service.

Old 03-15-03, 07:36 PM
Dougmt

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Texas servers are paid $2.13 an hour. They also must tip out 4% of her gross sales back to the restaraunt and they then split the tips amongst the bartender, a person who brings some of the food out, and a person that helps set up tables. So if the Mrs. sells $1000 worth of food she HAS to tip out $40.00 of HER money regardless if she was tipped on a table or not. Some tables actually end up costing her money. It's not right but it's the way it is, thus tipping has become essentially mandatory. Her last paycheck for 78 hours plus 4 hours of OT was just under 78 dollars. Figured out to about .98 per hour.
As a pizza delivery guy in college I've done some very vile things to non tippers food
Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.