Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

I want a Birdy, but can I justify the price????

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

I want a Birdy, but can I justify the price????

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 06:18 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I used to think my Birdy was slower than my Swift until I did back-to-back commutes using a heart rate monitor. The Birdy was only slightly slower easily explained by the fact it was a bit heavier and would lose some time on the uphills.

It surprised me, as I was so sure they were far more different. The Swift feels faster and feelings can deceive.

Bottom line, the Birdy certainly is no slouch.
Old 05-25-16, 12:39 PM
energyandair

Bikes: Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Birdy Monocoque 24 Speed, 2002 Devinci Desperado, 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I used to think my Birdy was slower than my Swift until I did back-to-back commutes using a heart rate monitor. The Birdy was only slightly slower easily explained by the fact it was a bit heavier and would lose some time on the uphills.

It surprised me, as I was so sure they were far more different. The Swift feels faster and feelings can deceive.

Bottom line, the Birdy certainly is no slouch.
Your findings don't surprise me but I'm wondering what the tires and pressures were on each bike at the time?
Old 05-25-16, 01:12 PM
energyandair

Bikes: Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Birdy Monocoque 24 Speed, 2002 Devinci Desperado, 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
The only reason I skipped on picking up a Birdy was the limited support for the bike in the US. Otherwise, I thought it was a nice ride.

One that that might drive you a bit wacky is the oddball ERTO 355 size wheels. Tire selection is fairly limited.
Schwalbe have 8 ERTO tires covering pretty much everything you are likely to need for a Birdy.
Product Search | Schwalbe North America
Old 05-25-16, 03:06 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I was running a Kojack front and Marathon Racer back, both would have been at about 80-100 psi. Heart rate was close to identical both cases.

Swift was probably running continentals both at about 100psi.
Old 05-25-16, 06:28 PM
energyandair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I was running a Kojack front and Marathon Racer back, both would have been at about 80-100 psi. Heart rate was close to identical both cases.

Swift was probably running continentals both at about 100psi.
My Birdy with Kojaks front and back feels a lot faster than with Kojak front and Marathon Racer at the back. I've not tried Continentals but if they were the Grand Prix, I assume they are roughly equivalent to the Kojak.
Old 05-25-16, 07:28 PM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I used to run Stelvios on my fast Birdy .. zoom! think I still have a couple of new Stelvios hanging up ..