Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best looking helmet

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best looking helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 11:31 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
MIPS is kind of a (not-funny) funny thing. Many helmets have gone to a two-layer design as well, they just don't pay MIPS the licensing. MIPS made necessary in part because of cheap helmet design, where the shell foam directly rests on pads on the head. There's also some healthy skepticism as to whether IRL it actually does anything helpful other than make the MIPS patent holders licensing money....it probably doesn't hurt anything ofc.

...Of course, MIPS has also become a marketing point thanks to Bicycling Magazine, and a fairly terrible bit of journalism on their part...
Every bicycle helmet I own or have owned has the shell foam resting directly on pads on my head. MIPS seemed an improvement at not much additional cost.

I ponied up the extra $20 for the MIPS version; the non-MIPS Foray is $65. Still a good looking helmet and a great value.

Last edited by redcon1; 05-25-16 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-25-16, 11:37 AM
slapshot18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who have the Mojito, I find I can't get a good fit as the helmet seems to interfere with the arm of my sunglasses and knocks them around.
Old 05-25-16, 12:51 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
Every bicycle helmet I own or have owned has the shell foam resting directly on pads on my head. MIPS seemed an improvement at not much additional cost.

I ponied up the extra $20 for the MIPS version; the non-MIPS Foray is $65. Still a good looking helmet and a great value.
See my last post, the nicer Casco helmets use a hammock-like net system internally to suspend the helmet slightly off the cranium.

MIPS most likely cannot hurt...however there's a wide variation in how manufacturers actually implement MIPS, and what the MIPS people actually say should be done to implement their tech. Some big names claim to be MIPS, yet you tear apart their helmet and you find only 50% of the helmet is actually built the way MIPS says it is to be built-particularly the back side of the helmet. The result being that depending on the specific crash scenario, a specific given helmet that says it is MIPS may or may not actually have any benefit.

MIPS and Sliding Resistance of Bicycle Helmets.

And a dissection of the MIPS article that started it all in Bicycling Magazine:
Bicycling magazine article is misleading
Old 05-25-16, 01:11 PM
DoubleTap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y'all are giving me a complex now about my POC Octal helmet. I do look like a mushroom in it, but then it's the only helmet I've found that'll fit my pumpkin head. Seriously, it's ugly, but it fits and feels so good, I'm wearing it and loving it. I just won't be taking any selfies in it.
Old 05-25-16, 01:22 PM
Kp3legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not trying to steal the thread but since we are all discussing about helmet, i think it doesnt hurt to ask.

So im considering a youth helmet cause it fit me well with its wide range around 52-57cm. Whats the difference between an adult and a youth one ? Why youth helmet doesnt split to moutain or road youth type ? Also what im looking is a garneau pro junior . Well youth helmet is kinda cheaper thou.

Thank you.
Old 05-25-16, 02:11 PM
woodchuck69

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DoubleTap
Y'all are giving me a complex now about my POC Octal helmet.
I saw a stack of Octals at a local shop and thought there's that huge helmet. Then I tried on the MIPS. Wow this is really awesome, doesn't feel like I'm wearing anything on my head. Then I bought it.
Old 05-25-16, 02:18 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I think the Giro Synth or Foray (the budget version with the same style) look good. Not too agressive, but not too "round and bulgy" either.

I have the Foray personally. It fits my head really well, and doesnt bulge at all.

But as said before here, you should try and see what fits your head.
Old 05-25-16, 02:55 PM
FullGas

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
fwiw, if anyone is looking at the Foray, PricePoint is blowing them out (size med) for $29.88...
Old 05-25-16, 03:35 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Y'all are giving me a complex now about my POC Octal helmet. I do look like a mushroom in it, but then it's the only helmet I've found that'll fit my pumpkin head. Seriously, it's ugly, but it fits and feels so good, I'm wearing it and loving it. I just won't be taking any selfies in it.
If you ever feel worried, just go on instagram and look at any cycling/style/nerd account and the Octal is one of the most popular helmets out there. I see more and more out on the road every day and everyone that I've ever asked has said it's their favorite helmet.

Edit: also, if the helmet fits, it doesn't look that much like a mushroom. In fact, it barely sticks out from the head when properly sized.

Last edited by SpeshulEd; 05-25-16 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 03:40 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartacus713
I have a visor on mine, although my helmet is 20 years old and was actually initially for rollerblading.
Even Snell now recommends replacement in five years
Old 05-25-16, 03:42 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Edit: also, if the helmet fits, it doesn't look that much like a mushroom. In fact, it barely sticks out from the head when properly sized.
Between stripes on the bibs, socks, and bottles, no one looks at the helmet
Old 05-25-16, 04:02 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Between stripes on the bibs, socks, and bottles, no one looks at the helmet
Sako7 ftw! Actually, the yellow and green was not what I would have went with, but the photo does show how small the helmet can look on the head when sized correctly.

Old 05-25-16, 04:21 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you ever feel worried, just go on instagram and look at any cycling/style/nerd account and the Octal is one of the most popular helmets out there. I see more and more out on the road every day and everyone that I've ever asked has said it's their favorite helmet.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there something wonky with that crankset?
Old 05-25-16, 04:53 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Originally Posted by ShadowGray
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there something wonky with that crankset?
Bending chainrings from monster power is what makes them top pro's

Actually they are supposed to be like that
Old 05-25-16, 05:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,613 Times in 1,061 Posts
Interesting article. So are these new helmets mipsrepresented in the media? I was on Comp Cyclist, noticed Bell Gage regular is $78 while the same Bell Gage with MIPS is $195. Worth it?
Old 05-25-16, 05:47 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowGray
Osymetric USA

Some people like them, some people don't.

Old 05-25-16, 06:11 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting article. So are these new helmets mipsrepresented in the media? I was on Comp Cyclist, noticed Bell Gage regular is $78 while the same Bell Gage with MIPS is $195. Worth it?
The Bell Gage regular is probably cheaper also because it is a model clearance....I'd wager.

And those questions are all problems as near as I can tell, are without clear universal answers...And taking any position without "IMHO" qualifiers is a few steps away from being simply FUD. Me, I'm a professed cynic...but I'd say that it seems, from what we know now, that MIPS is over-regarded as a must-have safety feature. It probably doesn't do any harm, but as to whether it does any good and is worth the cost-depends on the specific helmet and the specific manufacturer, and the specific crash scenario. IMHO.

Short of someone taking a box cutter to a specific model and year of helmet and tearing it apart, there's no knowing how MIPS was implemented on it. And no reviewer does destructive analysis of bike helmets.

MIPS being as new as it is...AFAIK no one, aside from those with a massive financial "investment" or "incentive" in trying to sell helmets (MIPS or otherwise), has scientific numbers about it. And no one wants to just take someone who's selling a good at their word. A problem made worse by the evident fact that the MIPS people don't even police what people using their branding are actually doing in implementing their "standard". It is just about as bad as computer PSUs and the "80 PLUS" standard.
Old 05-25-16, 06:19 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Osymetric USA

Some people like them, some people don't.
Today I learned...
Old 05-25-16, 07:29 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
AFAIK no one, aside from those with a massive financial "investment" or "incentive" in trying to sell helmets (MIPS or otherwise), has scientific numbers about it.
At some point I saw a video either by Giro or interviewing engineers from Giro and I was impressed by them. Comments that I might paraphrase (as best I recall) as 'this seems like a good idea, so we're building specific fixtures to test it to make sure we agree before we sell it.' FWIW.
Old 05-27-16, 03:25 PM
DoubleTap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the size of the head/helmet. I wear an 8 in a hat and the L in the Octal. Mushroom head.
Old 05-27-16, 04:37 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Depends on the size of the head/helmet. I wear an 8 in a hat and the L in the Octal. Mushroom head.
Did you try the medium at all? You're only getting an extra 2cm in the large.

My buddy bought an xl POC Trabec Race because he thought his head was big. In reality, he could fit into a small.

Old 05-27-16, 06:59 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I wanted to get the Kask Protone because it looks so good, but unless you're always riding at high enough speeds one of the comparison tests found that the ventilation isn't great. Which isn't unreasonable since it's more of an aero helmet. Many of the reviews do say that it's quieter at speed than many. I ended up getting the Mojito which has been a great all-around helmet. Imho, I don't think anyone does fit and comfort better than Kask. Worth the money.

Originally Posted by slapshot18
For those who have the Mojito, I find I can't get a good fit as the helmet seems to interfere with the arm of my sunglasses and knocks them around.
I wear glasses with the Mojito and haven't had any issues, but they don't have long arms that go straight back.
Old 05-27-16, 08:18 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think the kask protones look best when they're all one color, the Sky helmets just look goofy with the blue stripe.

That said, these color gradient ones look amazing!!! But, $320.

Old 05-27-16, 08:26 PM
Bathwater

Location: In my car with my Garmin, stealing all your Strava KOMs
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I just pulled the trigger on the Protone because I like throwing away money and making my wife angry. Backcountry is running 20% off, plus Activejunky's 10% off which knocks the price down to $216. Not sure if that's enough of a markdown to sway any minds out there, but hopefully that helps someone.
Old 05-28-16, 07:26 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... these color gradient ones look amazing!!! But, $320.
A designer helmet? While I appreciate aesthetic design, that's embarrassingly extravagant - decadent even. Makes me want to have something plain gray that only costs fifty bucks, tops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.