Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

best folder for £1000 sterling - cycle to work scheme

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 12:50 PM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi folks,

it is a very long time since I visited the forum, and maybe things have changed.

I am an afficionado of the fold, I currently own a DT mini, a Brompton SL2X, a Respect mini velo and an airnimal sport. Also a giant mini velo.

However. even folders take up space, and some of these are quite old, and I need money also so have to sell some. I guess I am telling you all this to say, I know a bit about folders. However, my last purchase was about 4 years ago, and things change.

So if you had, for example £1000 english money to spend on a new folder, what would you get, for commuting and a bit of pleasure riding. My initial thoughts are a SL2, I would sell the SL2X. There is a birdy at £999 now, but it is the old frame, but that could be an idea.

Something that fits in a non-custom, but checkable suitcase, that would be good.

But any other ideas ?

Gus
Old 06-02-16, 01:25 PM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You already have the SL2X so there is no need for a new bike.
Why downgrade?
Or does someone actually check that you ride the bike you bought?
Could you just buy another Brompton, sell it, and use your old one?
It may seem a bit dishonest but as long as you're cycling to work...
Old 06-02-16, 05:15 PM
Moondoggy

Bikes: Dahon C7a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand this reply. Does the OP get paid to ride his bike to work? Or is he/she financially compensated for buying a bicycle? I'm confused by the reply. Sorry.

Last edited by Moondoggy; 06-02-16 at 05:22 PM. Reason: correct do us to does
Old 06-02-16, 10:24 PM
blakcloud

Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Moondoggy
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand this reply. Does the OP get paid to ride his bike to work? Or is he/she financially compensated for buying a bicycle? I'm confused by the reply. Sorry.
More information here. This information is from Halfords a bicycle retailer but the principles of the scheme are all there.
Your company simply needs to sign up for Cycle2work. Once they're signed up, you choose a new bike and cycle safety accessories worth up to £1,000 and the company buys it for you. They loan it back to you with reductions in your monthly salary over 12 or 18 months, it’s called salary sacrifice & you get the new bike you want now and you get to spread the cost. It's rather clever, really.
I wish the Canadian Government would offer this.
Old 06-02-16, 10:34 PM
blakcloud

Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
How about a Moulton? Can you get one that fits in the Cycle to Work Scheme?
Old 06-03-16, 01:15 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, you have spotted some inconsistencies, so here's the full story.

Part of my absence from here is due to a painful divorce. That is over, but I am broke. I love my folders, but I am going to have to sell probably the airnimal and the Brompton SL2X to cover bills.

I really love the S2LX, but you know what ? It is too much too expensive bike, and I am always worried about damage, parts getting stolen and everything. You can't take it into a pub for example so have to lock it outside, and then I worry.

So the idea, in all honesty, is to reduce the stable considerably, realize some hard cash, and use the bike to work scheme to get something that comes in at a lower point, and which I can spread payment for over a year.

Obviously, an S2L is at the forefront of my mind, but I am open to other ideas.

This is the Birdy from the supplier many use on my scheme, and it is priced to come in at less than £1000

Bike sections (eg brand/ type etc) - Cycle Heaven

On the moulton, there is this, which set my heart racing

MOULTON Bicycle Company

It too is priced to appeal to people buying on the cycle to work scheme.

However, I have one of these with exactly the same gear set up, and it is a blast, and was a lot cheaper, so it duplicates a bit, no ?

Respect Cycles Mini Velo (Minivelo) V2 | Respect Cycles, Innovative bikes, for The Urban Environment.

I am seriously interested in the birdy for the gearing, but would really like advice from you guys.
Old 06-03-16, 01:26 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ps my logic for the birdy would be to use the Mini for the things I now use the S2LX for (its a great bike still Yan). While the birdy is not an out and out replacement for the Airnimal, I could take it with when I travel, and it has a resonable gear range...
Old 06-03-16, 07:40 AM
nz6666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sl2x when new is about 600 more than sl2 ? you sell it used and the price is not much more than a new sl2. And you won't worry about a £1000 new sl2 locked outside a pub? I say get a Dahon, speed frame models (p8, p7 etc) and just lock it anywhere without even thinking of it. Get a used for only about 200. All the other folders you will have to worry being stolen.
Old 06-03-16, 08:22 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Since you're downsizing, what bikes do you plan on selling? The Brompton SL2X and ...

Personally, I'd keep using the Brompton SL2X and find another pub.
Old 06-03-16, 08:32 AM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gringo_gus
Okay, you have spotted some inconsistencies, so here's the full story.

Part of my absence from here is due to a painful divorce. That is over, but I am broke. I love my folders, but I am going to have to sell probably the airnimal and the Brompton SL2X to cover bills.

I really love the S2LX, but you know what ? It is too much too expensive bike, and I am always worried about damage, parts getting stolen and everything. You can't take it into a pub for example so have to lock it outside, and then I worry.

So the idea, in all honesty, is to reduce the stable considerably, realize some hard cash, and use the bike to work scheme to get something that comes in at a lower point, and which I can spread payment for over a year.

Obviously, an S2L is at the forefront of my mind, but I am open to other ideas.

This is the Birdy from the supplier many use on my scheme, and it is priced to come in at less than £1000

Bike sections (eg brand/ type etc) - Cycle Heaven

On the moulton, there is this, which set my heart racing

MOULTON Bicycle Company

It too is priced to appeal to people buying on the cycle to work scheme.

However, I have one of these with exactly the same gear set up, and it is a blast, and was a lot cheaper, so it duplicates a bit, no ?

Respect Cycles Mini Velo (Minivelo) V2 | Respect Cycles, Innovative bikes, for The Urban Environment.

I am seriously interested in the birdy for the gearing, but would really like advice from you guys.
Hi Gringo-gus,

I had also be away for awhile, though not due to a divorce, but a fall-out with my corporate life which left me or I left it. So I had to considerably downsize my lifestyle as my newly retrained career won't pay me as much as my last job which afforded many bikes over 2 decades. So just like you, I had to face selling off my nice Dahon folders and my carbon racing bike to pay off my bills. I also had to sell off some nice camping gear as well, but paying off the bills was more important to me. I don't want to incur debt and pay on the interest as it just gets me deep into hole even more. So I had to make very hard choices. Just like you, my main priority was to keep biking despite the downsizing of my lifestyle and I made the choice to keep the bikes that I can take to work, grocery shop and go to the pub or restaurant without needing to worry about theft!! Downsizing my lifestyle from making 6 figures to a low 5 figures has been a god-send. No need to worry to showing off to friends about my new shining bike; no need to keep up with the Joneses because today I can't afford those expensive $3000 to $6000 bikes that I usually could just plunk down the cash but gets rarely ridden. Life for me now is so much more simpler and so peaceful with less money and less worries. So it was a heart sinking feeling to sell off my Dahons (MuSL and Uno) which I had decked out with the best components. Things definitely changed when I left the folder scene 4 years ago and now am down to the bare essentials -- 2 bikes. 2 of my bike have modest components like Alivio and Tiagra; a far cry from the Dura Ace and Ultegra and SRAM XO components I had on my other expensive decked out bikes. It took a few months for me to recover from the heart lost of my collections, but you'll get over it.

As my financial stabilizes in the coming years with a steady income, I will again consider adding a folder. This time, it will a Brompton but it will be a used one as they are more affordable. I don't need fancy bells and whistles. Paint and be scratched and chipped a bit. I don't care anymore like I used where I need the very best because I had the money to spend.

Good luck with your choice Gringo. Just to let you know that you're not alone in the temporary financial setback and your relationship lost. Trust me. If you work hard, you will always meet someone much better than your last..

Cheers..
Old 06-03-16, 09:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Fold, & not cost much = some DaHon like thing I Guess ..

I like my M3L. ( lightly used, in US it was $900)

then I went Dynohub - LED lights .

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-03-16 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 01:17 PM
energyandair

Bikes: Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Birdy Monocoque 24 Speed, 2002 Devinci Desperado, 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If getting a new bike, I would get the Birdy. IMHO, while other folders may be better for specific things, the Birdy is the best all round folder on the market.

I would not worry about the frame being the old configuration, we have both configurations and I prefer the old one.

I would also not worry about it being the 8 speed configuration rather than 24 speed (if you were), again, we have both and I prefer the 8 speed for its lighter weight.

Make sure that you get it with the stem option (comfort or sport) that is the best fit for your size and riding style.

I would try to get them to throw in Kojak tyres instead of the standard Marathon Racers. The Marathon Racers are decent but the Kojaks take the riding experience to a different level.
Old 06-03-16, 03:19 PM
Moondoggy

Bikes: Dahon C7a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the explanation of the cycle to work program. Wish our employer did that. Great idea, and I cudda got a Brompton! I feel for you in your current situation, but things will get better. Hate to hear of anyone having to sell a bicycle. To my way of thinking, the hardest part is the initial purchase. Once past that keeping your bike happy is pretty cheap. I am attached to my bike, it'd be hard for me to part with it. I'd sell my TV first. Best of luck with your choice.
Old 06-13-16, 02:00 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks for all your thoughts on this. At the moment, following energyandair, I am thinking birdy.... but will let you know.
Old 06-13-16, 03:07 AM
CliffordK

Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
Originally Posted by nz6666
sl2x when new is about 600 more than sl2 ? you sell it used and the price is not much more than a new sl2. And you won't worry about a £1000 new sl2 locked outside a pub? I say get a Dahon, speed frame models (p8, p7 etc) and just lock it anywhere without even thinking of it. Get a used for only about 200. All the other folders you will have to worry being stolen.
I realize the benefits of selling for cash and buying on credit. But you'll get killed on the losses of selling used and buying new, and at the end of the year will have downgraded bikes with little to show for it.

Bike Friday also has some bikes that you might be interested in. The Pocket Rocket in some senses competes with standard "road" bikes.
Old 06-13-16, 07:44 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
My answer to getting the bike stolen is to get the heaviest lock you can, lock it the best way you can and forget the issue. You have done your best - but there is no guarantee.

I have the big Kryptonite U-lock and recently bought 2 used Brommies (P6R and M6R) for myself and my travelling companion for use in Canada, UK and maybe France this summer. They are both the cost of ONE new one here in Dubai (where my travelling companion lives). So for travelling, I figure I am "ahead" - of what you may ask.

I have only bought my custom-built touring bikes new (naturally). Everything else (including my Greenspeed GTO) is used. I figure why buy a new non-tailor made bike for my 68 y.o. (next week wfiw) body. Both work fine as far as I can see.

The Krypronite is good "insurance" - but the peripherals can be stolen....
Old 06-15-16, 04:23 PM
desastar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see any benefits in selling your better bikes at secondhand value and using the cash for new lower spec bike. Someone will pinch your Brompton regardless of the model. Different if you have to sell, then buying a used Dahon or something.
Sounds like the bike scheme is simply a loan to spend money when you can't afford it anyway? You'll end up with smaller pay checks, no?