Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My new favorite bike touring shoes!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

My new favorite bike touring shoes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 10:29 PM
Randybb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
My feet get so hot and swell on centuries that I'm trying these out. Very stiff & though a bit heavy. They get good reviews. SPD compatible but I'll try with first with my mallets on the fatbike. Nashbar Ragster II. Sockless unless sub 55-60 F. My size 13 AAA feet (well ones a 13...the other is like 12.5) has made getting a good cycling shoe fit damned impossible. They were like ~$50 w/free shipping.

Do you think they would be decent for some light hiking? I'm trying to find footwear for touring+shorter <10 mile hikes to set up camp.
Old 06-08-16, 10:36 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Rode for the first time today with my new Keen Commuter 4 sandals, and they are much improved over the earlier model. The fully enclosed heel makes a big difference in keeping my feet in one place in the shoe. Too much movement with the Velcro strap system on the older model. Now if they would just hold up over time.

In response to @Randybb, I agree that open toes are not a great idea. The Keen sandals provide great protection and decent airflow.

Commuter IV Bike Sandal for Men | KEEN Footwear

Last edited by alan s; 06-08-16 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-08-16, 11:18 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Randybb
Do you think they would be decent for some light hiking? I'm trying to find footwear for touring+shorter <10 mile hikes to set up camp.
Initially I'd say yes though the toughness of the tread material determines life expectancy. They've an aggressive tread. I've worn them about the house and yard barefoot and with socks and they are comfortable. I swapped out my mallets for an old pair of MTB SPD compatible pedals, went for a ten mile ride and was pleasantly surprised at the comfort. I'll take a tread pic & post.

They have good arch support.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (97.8 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Jseis; 06-08-16 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-09-16, 03:06 PM
1Mule

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't used the Tevas, but I train and tour in Nashbar Ragster sandals with smart wool socks and I love 'em. I've purchased and ratholed 2 extra pairs, was afraid they'd quit making them.
Old 06-09-16, 07:38 PM
northerntier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
I think on really wet days, I will wear a THIn wool sock with the gore-tex oversock, and then the sandals. That'll keep the wind off. I might have a little microclimate going on during the climbs as my feet sweat, but I don't think I'll have cold toes.
I tour and commute almost all year in shimano sandals (put boots on when it really gets cold). When it's warm, no socks. When not, wool socks. And like Salamandrine, I note that wet wool socks are plenty warm. I usually take booties on tour, but I've never worn them.

However, I need another shoe off the bike. I usually take a pair of crocs for showers and just puttering around after arriving at camp at end of day.
Old 06-16-16, 10:57 PM
i_am_you

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hah, I wore socks with Tevas for my last tour, too. I loved it and would always do it except for the fact that my pedal stroke wasn't that great on the uptake. I use cages normally and it's just not very easy to pull up with sandals on. So I'm looking at what kind of shoes to buy at the moment. Thinking about going clipless and getting some DZR shoes. https://dzrshoes.com/collections/urb...products/tosca
Old 06-17-16, 08:29 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
It will always be trail runners for me.
Old 06-18-16, 03:29 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor, Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

In response to @Randybb, I agree that open toes are not a great idea. The Keen sandals provide great protection and decent airflow.

Commuter IV Bike Sandal for Men | KEEN Footwear
L agree. Can't count the number of times I would have injured my foot without some decent protection. Keens are t perfect but at least provide some protection.
Old 06-21-16, 10:58 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I've been doing sandals for awhile, and learned about good wool in Alaska. It definitely keeps you warm, even soaking wet. My current sandals are Nevados, a couple sizes too big, lol, but even more comfy because of it. Your toes like the extra room, or at least mine do.