Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So... How much faster are aero wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So... How much faster are aero wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 10:05 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts

A decent video on it. I was kinda surprised at the outcome and take it with a grain of salt but my experience is that aero wheels do offer an advantage. (November Rail 52s for me that cost $1350 new)
Old 06-13-16, 10:54 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996
All of the better makers do full on scientific quality tests to prove the aero wheels do their thing. But this involves removing variables which requires running these tests in a wind tunnel. And yet somehow, when all variables are removed and the results are scientifically valid, then people gripe how the testing isn't "realistic".

The problem is not the testing, it's the audience, either way.

AFAIK, the current method is for wheel makers to instrument riders with wind rigs to detect the direction (yaw angle) and speed, and then build up a general usage profile for the wheels based on that data. Then they design the wheels to be optimal for those measured conditions, and they replicate those conditions in the wind tunnel.
You don't need a wind tunnel. The real world testing can be made applicable just by better experimental design. Multiple experimental runs, multiple riders randomly placed on the different wheels for the different runs, different wind conditions allowed for the different runs, and so on. And management of the error. You just need a good statistician to design and oversee the experiment.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 06-13-16, 11:23 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
You don't need a wind tunnel. The real world testing can be made applicable just by better experimental design. Multiple experimental runs, multiple riders randomly placed on the different wheels for the different runs, different wind conditions allowed for the different runs, and so on. And management of the error. You just need a good statistician to design and oversee the experiment.
Do you honestly think that's practical for a wheel designer? Go through all of that for each and every design iteration, of which there could be hundreds or thousands? You can get scientifically accurate data in an hour in the wind tunnel and keep refining until you get it perfect...
Old 06-13-16, 11:45 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Saw a set of 808s in the wild this weekend on the club ride. He's my entirely unscientific take on them:

The ride regrouped at the top of a hill where we had all hit it pretty hard. The requisite bikes-all-lined-up photo was taken with the view behind us and we were finally ready to head down a bit. The next section of the ride began with a semi-technical 2-mile descent at about 5% followed by generally downhill rollers for another ~4 miles. It's a fast section.

I departed first here because I'm usually one of the fastest in the group down the hills and I didn't want to end up running up behind someone the whole way down. This time was no different.

About two thirds of the way down the technical part, I could see in my fred mirror that someone had mostly caught me and was maintaining his distance to avoid having to overtake on the technical section. I recognized him as 'the new guy who said he'd just moved here'.

Once I got to the rollers, I pushed, hoping to make it to the regroup without being caught (for the fun of it and all.)

Now that the road had mostly straightened out, the guy behind me had come up and was sitting on my wheel for a minute. He came around and took a pull as we hammered along. This is when I got a decent look at his bike. Full-on FELT aero tri-bike with 808s and dura ace. He slowed a bit and I went back to the front. The grade went down a bit more (knowing the road, I knew this was coming and figured I'd make the most of it and take my pull right then) and I spun out and tucked. After about 20 seconds, I felt like I was really flying and snuck a peek in the fred mirror, expecting to see him gapped off in the distance. To my surprise, nope, he was not only not gapped off, but he was coming around (pedaling) on my left just as I peeked. DOH! He pulled around and I could see that he stopped pedaling a moment to give me a chance to latch onto his wheel. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to (I was as tucked as I was gonna get and not getting there.) Pedaling didn't help either as I was way spun out at this speed (despite my 52-11 top gear), so I just watched him roll away, pedaling again. I yelled quick regroup point info and he nodded and zipped away.

At the regroup, we all gawked at his bike, wheels, specs, etc. 55 tooth big chainring on the dura-ace cranks, pioneer power meter thing in one of the holes there, zipp 808s, ridiculously gorgeous sculpted aero carbon (in black, of course) bike...

So, anyway, yea, my unscientific examination of the Zipp 808s is that they're fast as hell.
Old 06-13-16, 11:59 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.02 watts less normalized power per 10 mm rim depth beyond 24 mm averaged over all weather conditions and route terrain. But only with 23 mm tires.
Old 06-13-16, 12:16 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug
Pedaling didn't help either as I was way spun out at this speed (despite my 52-11 top gear), so I just watched him roll away, pedaling again.
So you were "way spun out" in 52-11 yet he pedaled away?

Because of his Zipp wheels?

I'm lost.
Old 06-13-16, 12:38 PM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'm just happy to now own a set of wheels that are durable and semi lightweight. I'm not a strong enough rider to justify really high end wheels.. I'd love to of course, but I'm just not.
Old 06-13-16, 12:42 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Do you honestly think that's practical for a wheel designer? Go through all of that for each and every design iteration, of which there could be hundreds or thousands? You can get scientifically accurate data in an hour in the wind tunnel and keep refining until you get it perfect...
Yes exactly, and then you appease the marketplace with some real world data.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 06-13-16, 12:44 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
So you were "way spun out" in 52-11 yet he pedaled away?

Because of his Zipp wheels?

I'm lost.

Because of his 55 tooth chainring on a full time trial rig.
Old 06-13-16, 01:25 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Because of his 55 tooth chainring on a full time trial rig.
Exactly -- the wheels were, indeed, part of the bigger picture of the whole bike. I hesitate to credit them, entirely, with the performance I observed, but I do believe they play their part in that bike's performance.

It didn't hurt that the rider was quite strong -- definitely stronger than me both up and down hills.
Old 06-13-16, 02:26 PM
mooder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And what about averaging multiple trials and determining standard deviation? Then running statistical tests to determine whether the results are really different with a 95% certainty or not? These guys do this kind of stuff all the time with very poor experimental design. Frankly I don't really doubt the results, but they need to do a better job for their work to be conclusive. Multiple riders, for example, for the multiple trials would be a significant improvement in the experimental method.
All you need is an electric motor that output a fixed amount of work... very easy and cheap to do.

All of the better makers do full on scientific quality tests to prove the aero wheels do their thing. But this involves removing variables which requires running these tests in a wind tunnel. And yet somehow, when all variables are removed and the results are scientifically valid, then people gripe how the testing isn't "realistic".

The problem is not the testing, it's the audience, either way.

AFAIK, the current method is for wheel makers to instrument riders with wind rigs to detect the direction (yaw angle) and speed, and then build up a general usage profile for the wheels based on that data. Then they design the wheels to be optimal for those measured conditions, and they replicate those conditions in the wind tunnel.
I completely understand why anybody would gripe on lab result. Since you can control the condition you can also influence the result very easily. I would love to see a serious outdoor testing methodology. It's not that hard to record wind speed and direction and I think this is pretty much the most basic thing any experimenter should do ESPECIALLY when testing aerodynamic wheels.

I am pretty sure aero wheels are well optimized to be the most aerodynamic possible. However, I would like to see the real world benefit of such wheel with a bit more data to back it up than what we got here (before I drop 2k+$ for a wheelset).
Old 06-13-16, 02:27 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Exactly -- the wheels were, indeed, part of the bigger picture of the whole bike. I hesitate to credit them, entirely, with the performance I observed, but I do believe they play their part in that bike's performance.

It didn't hurt that the rider was quite strong -- definitely stronger than me both up and down hills.

You've got some rippin' top speeds,

so it's unlikely that he got away for lack of effort or technique on your part...
Old 06-13-16, 02:28 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

My point was... in your story, he was faster than you when you ran out of gears.

I don't see how the wheels had anything to do with that.
Old 06-13-16, 02:38 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Mavic R-sys are about the least aero wheels out there (I have a pair, which I like OK),

so keep that in mind.

My personal measure is a buddy who outweighs me by 50 or 60 lbs.

He used to routinely coast past me on the descents;

when I changed to some 60mm carbon rims, that stopped.
Yes, it would be much more meaningful to compare to some HED Belgiums or the like.
Old 06-13-16, 02:47 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As an average rider I do not find anywhere near that kind of difference. They easier to ride at faster speeds (20-25 mph) but not 6-8% maybe 2%
Old 06-13-16, 03:19 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Saw a set of 808s in the wild this weekend on the club ride. He's my entirely unscientific take on them:

The ride regrouped at the top of a hill where we had all hit it pretty hard. The requisite bikes-all-lined-up photo was taken with the view behind us and we were finally ready to head down a bit. The next section of the ride began with a semi-technical 2-mile descent at about 5% followed by generally downhill rollers for another ~4 miles. It's a fast section.

I departed first here because I'm usually one of the fastest in the group down the hills and I didn't want to end up running up behind someone the whole way down. This time was no different.

About two thirds of the way down the technical part, I could see in my fred mirror that someone had mostly caught me and was maintaining his distance to avoid having to overtake on the technical section. I recognized him as 'the new guy who said he'd just moved here'.

Once I got to the rollers, I pushed, hoping to make it to the regroup without being caught (for the fun of it and all.)

Now that the road had mostly straightened out, the guy behind me had come up and was sitting on my wheel for a minute. He came around and took a pull as we hammered along. This is when I got a decent look at his bike. Full-on FELT aero tri-bike with 808s and dura ace. He slowed a bit and I went back to the front. The grade went down a bit more (knowing the road, I knew this was coming and figured I'd make the most of it and take my pull right then) and I spun out and tucked. After about 20 seconds, I felt like I was really flying and snuck a peek in the fred mirror, expecting to see him gapped off in the distance. To my surprise, nope, he was not only not gapped off, but he was coming around (pedaling) on my left just as I peeked. DOH! He pulled around and I could see that he stopped pedaling a moment to give me a chance to latch onto his wheel. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to (I was as tucked as I was gonna get and not getting there.) Pedaling didn't help either as I was way spun out at this speed (despite my 52-11 top gear), so I just watched him roll away, pedaling again. I yelled quick regroup point info and he nodded and zipped away.

At the regroup, we all gawked at his bike, wheels, specs, etc. 55 tooth big chainring on the dura-ace cranks, pioneer power meter thing in one of the holes there, zipp 808s, ridiculously gorgeous sculpted aero carbon (in black, of course) bike...

So, anyway, yea, my unscientific examination of the Zipp 808s is that they're fast as hell.
I hope your post was tongue in cheek.
Old 06-13-16, 04:01 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
OP example neglected spokes. Thick spoke and thin spoke Mavics and they are different and I ride both, but steel blades are hard to beat. the number of spokes matter too. I would ignore the box test in the OP video link due to spokes.

Like most things on BF ... it depends. I agree some aero profile is always better than box, but I think the 50mm profile is about the best all around as aero benefits beyond that do not seem to make up for the weight increases. Sure - nice flat smooth roads, things are different. But most riding I/son do is not like that.
We believe there is an increase in energy to handle larger profile wheels in any wind condition.

Last edited by Doge; 06-13-16 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 04:27 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,215 Times in 1,488 Posts
Too many variables still. Different wind angles need tested because manufacturer wheels vary greatly by yaw. Tire size affects performance differently among various wheels. If you used the same tire with everybody, you introduce biases. Inflation and resulting shape tires also does as well. This is why wind tunnel testing is used.
Old 06-13-16, 04:43 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Too many variables still. Different wind angles need tested because manufacturer wheels vary greatly by yaw. Tire size affects performance differently among various wheels. If you used the same tire with everybody, you introduce biases. Inflation and resulting shape tires also does as well. This is why wind tunnel testing is used.
No disagreement. But we are talking about two different things. You are talking about the detailed behavior of the wheels. I am talking about representative case studies. What can you expect when you take the wheels out for a normal ride. Most folks want to know how fast one wheels would be on a real road compared to another, not what the yaw angle vs. drag graph looks like.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 06-13-16, 05:36 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,215 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM

A decent video on it. I was kinda surprised at the outcome and take it with a grain of salt but my experience is that aero wheels do offer an advantage. (November Rail 52s for me that cost $1350 new)
No disagreement. But we are talking about two different things. You are talking about the detailed behavior of the wheels. I am talking about representative case studies. What can you expect when you take the wheels out for a normal ride. Most folks want to know how fast one wheels would be on a real road compared to another, not what the yaw angle vs. drag graph looks like.
The CGN video pretty much does this but the deep wheels are not what people use for normal rides.
Old 06-13-16, 05:36 PM
chrisjur

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4, 2016 Trek Emonda SL8, 2014 Fuji Tread, Schwinn Fixie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find Steve from In the Know's reviews to be unbiased and chocked full of good info. His latest updated review on all-around Aero wheels goes into some good bits about the benefits of aero, why it matters, when it matters, etc.:

https://intheknowcycling.com/2015/07...d-bike-wheels/

Worth the read if you haven't checked it out. He also has other similar articles on climbing wheels, etc.
Old 06-13-16, 05:42 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
So I just posted this in another place. Anyway at the start you see a white kit LUX guy. He is on 30mm profile wheels (stinger 3s - a teammate). Behind him, 4th in this video, is a guy on 80ish. Later KHS guy in blue, works for a shop and has options and is on a pretty decent Cat1 team is also riding lower profiles. Superman pos dude is my kid on 50s.
LUX on 30s smokes cat 1 guy on 80s (4th rider in vid) for 1st in 3 person break. LUX guy and as light as 30s, but 50s , my kid, dumps pack for 4th. Besides they are both just better than the P12s that day (one P, 10+ 1s and filler) , they also chose lower profile for handling and acceleration over higher profile that they had. That is not science. Just what the winners for that race on that day prefer. However I don't see much benefit for much over 50mm in most situations.

Old 06-13-16, 05:46 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Getting 6-8% is nothing to sneeze at to be sure. However, in the real world most of the time I seem to be riding in a side wind. I can just imagine how those aero wheels would behave in a 40 kph side wind.
Maybe if you tack into them life you do sailing?

I also live in a windy area and I have no idea how those wheels would behave in a strong side wind and have no desire to find out!
Old 06-13-16, 06:24 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Like wphamilton I want some aero wheels, I just don't want to buy them.

I just checked the price of a set of Enve 4.5 here in Australia. A mere $4,199 which is close enough to twice the price I paid for my whole Giant TCR bike ($2,200).

I'm not sure where the money goes in a set of wheels that costs that much. Or if I could justify spending that amount of money for 2kmh.

There are cheaper aero wheels out there but how much of a gain do you get with those? Sure would suck to spend $2,000 on some aero wheels and see no noticeable gain in speed.

I did just respoke my Giant wheels (low profile alloy rims) with some CX-ray spokes. I had put those wheels away due to constant spoke assplosions. I've now put those rebuilt wheels on my TT bike replacing some 10 year old cheap Shimano wheels. Are these new (refurbished old) Giant wheels faster than the Shimano wheels? Maybe, maybe not. I did set a couple of Strava PRs with them (only 7 secs off a 3min 25sec flat segment although Strava says that's 1.4kmh faster).

I think if I did buy some aero wheels I would want to buy a power meter first and do some of my own testing on the various wheels I already have to see exactly what sort of differences I could expect.
Old 06-13-16, 06:37 PM
chrisjur

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4, 2016 Trek Emonda SL8, 2014 Fuji Tread, Schwinn Fixie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
Like wphamilton I want some aero wheels, I just don't want to buy them.

I just checked the price of a set of Enve 4.5 here in Australia. A mere $4,199 which is close enough to twice the price I paid for my whole Giant TCR bike ($2,200).

I'm not sure where the money goes in a set of wheels that costs that much. Or if I could justify spending that amount of money for 2kmh.

There are cheaper aero wheels out there but how much of a gain do you get with those? Sure would suck to spend $2,000 on some aero wheels and see no noticeable gain in speed.

I did just respoke my Giant wheels (low profile alloy rims) with some CX-ray spokes. I had put those wheels away due to constant spoke assplosions. I've now put those rebuilt wheels on my TT bike replacing some 10 year old cheap Shimano wheels. Are these new (refurbished old) Giant wheels faster than the Shimano wheels? Maybe, maybe not. I did set a couple of Strava PRs with them (only 7 secs off a 3min 25sec flat segment although Strava says that's 1.4kmh faster).

I think if I did buy some aero wheels I would want to buy a power meter first and do some of my own testing on the various wheels I already have to see exactly what sort of differences I could expect.
Can you get your hands on a set of wheels to try out? There are many good shops that have sets that they'll let you try. At least that will give you an idea as to what these types of wheels feel like.

For example, Reynolds - who makes a selection of great wheels - has a "Ride to Decide" program (Reynolds Cycling). I know they are sold in Australia, but not sure how extensive their dealer network is there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.