Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Seat springs/shocks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Seat springs/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 10:59 PM
rockindude24

Bikes: 2009 Felt F95 Team, 2005 North Face Yavapai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat springs/shocks

I was just wondering if anyone has a seat or seatpost that has springs/shocks. Are they a nice for touring? Thanks.
Old 12-04-05, 11:59 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife uses a Brooks Conquest sprung saddle. She's very happy with it.
Old 12-05-05, 12:05 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockindude24
I was just wondering if anyone has a seat or seatpost that has springs/shocks. Are they a nice for touring? Thanks.
I have been sitting on brooks sprung saddles on both my touring bike (b66) and my MTB(Champ flyer) for the last 15 years.
I busted up my back when I was 31 and the sprung saddles smooth out the bumps enough for me to ride as much as 200km a day.
BTW: contary to popular belief you can use a sprung saddle with drop bars

Old 12-05-05, 11:28 AM
Doug Campbell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read my posts in "folding bikes". The B-66 is a great saddle for the money (I have one) you certainly wouldn't be disappointed with one. However, I also have a B-17 with a thudbuster post. The thudbuster is infinitely better.
Old 12-05-05, 12:20 PM
buttbybrooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to soften up the ride of my touring bike and considered both a suspension seatpost and a sprung saddle. I opted for the simplicity and reliability of a Conquest saddle by Brooks. I rode it for the first time last week and was very happy with the results.
Old 12-07-05, 07:25 AM
GrodyGeek
Displaced Yooper

Bikes: Atlantis, Bridgestone, Trek, Cannondale, Osell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like velonomad, I've toured and commuted exclusively with Brooks sprung saddles. I've used the B17 Champion Flyer as it is a single rail and I use a two bolt post to get the angle how I like it. I've used B66s with a saddle rail sandwich, but couldn't keep the durn thing from squeeking. It annoyed me.

Also consider the effect of tire size and pressure on comfort. Depending upon how light you pack, and many other factors, you may be able to use a wider tire or a little less pressure to soften the ride as well. This doesn't have a weight penalty, but you might be a little slower. Then again, when you're comfortable, you can ride a lot more in a day without the "gotta get there" grindstone thought pattern. Personally, I don't like to tour that way.
Old 12-07-05, 05:58 PM
Sebach

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used my Thudbuster 3G LT on short loaded tour where I did about 200km one day on a poorly maintained trail. It helped quite a bit but when the temperature nearly hit 49 degrees C with humidex (120F) I felt like I had to adjust my seat position forward half an inch to adjust for the extra squish that the elastomers developed in the heat (the Thudbuster travels down and back to absorb). The elastomers I had were perfect for my weight, I fell right in the middle of my elastomer category, but they just got soft in the heat I think. Still, I'm glad I had it, my back wasn't the least bit sore. Dropping my tire pressure a few PSI actually made a noticible difference too.

Since then, I got a Brooks B17 Champion Flyer dedicated for touring and it works pretty well when commuting thus far, especially when I'm a bit more upright. Perhaps it will change as I break the springs in a bit more? I keep my Thudbuster on my hardtail MTB now.
Old 12-09-05, 10:34 AM
MRJK

Bikes: 15 yr old Trek, SPecialized Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I rode cross country with a cheap seatpost with the little shock in it and it did help me.
225 lbs (at the start anyway :-) but it wasn't a big difference. If we were on gravel and such more I think it would have been more useful.
Old 12-09-05, 07:37 PM
ink1373
nothing: lasts forever

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i use a b67, the new single rail version of the b66. its nice. it allows you to use whatever seatpost you want, and still has plenty of width and comfort. this was by far the most comfortable brooks out-of-the-box that i've ever tried. it only gets better.