Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Face protection from sun

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Face protection from sun

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 07:54 PM
aERonAUtical96

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Felt Verza Speed 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Face protection from sun

Anyone wear a face shield/handkerchief style cloth while riding to protect from sun? I see more fishermen wearing them and am wondering if anyone has tried them mtb/commuting/racing.

I'm not advocating this following company, but to clarify what I'm asking about...
https://safishing.com/product-category/face-shield/

I'm in Florida and I lather up (didn't so much as a kid and am now paying for it as an adult), but am wondering if this might be an alternative.
Old 06-29-16, 08:39 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regularly use a large bandanna when the sun is shining . And on occasion something even more inclusive, resembling a full face mask but of very thin material .
Old 06-29-16, 08:45 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the link, the sun is not your friend if you don't like age spots and wrinkles once past mid 30s. Those years of having sun without SS takes revenge. I am proactive now and do sunscreen daily. Just wish someone had convinced me earlier its worth the extra minute in your day a few times to lather up.
Old 06-29-16, 10:01 PM
a1penguin

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Sunscreen. And I moisturize, too. Trader Joe's has a nice aloe gel which I like. Wearing something on my face would not feel good. And not all clothing provides protection from UV rays. How long does clothing retain its SPF rating? I would rather apply sunscreen for every ride.
Old 06-29-16, 10:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,814 Times in 1,808 Posts
I use a bandanna that covers down to my eyebrows but nothing on my face, other than a beard and sunscreen.

I need to find a different sunscreen, though. I'm using a sunscreen/insect repellent combo and it stings my eyes when I sweat. And it's not as effective against mosquitoes as I'd like.
Old 06-29-16, 11:02 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Liked 121 Times in 57 Posts
Sunscreen for below the eyes because of the stinging sweat mentioned above. My helmet has a visor that seems to shade my forehead pretty well.
Old 06-29-16, 11:06 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,279 Times in 647 Posts
SunScreen works for me.

Old 06-30-16, 12:51 AM
Shodan5150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this and this. Works good to keep sun, wind and bugs off your face and eyes.
Old 06-30-16, 01:12 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
Thanks for the link, the sun is not your friend if you don't like age spots and wrinkles once past mid 30s. Those years of having sun without SS takes revenge. I am proactive now and do sunscreen daily. Just wish someone had convinced me earlier its worth the extra minute in your day a few times to lather up.

I have more trouble in the sun from cutting my own hair short then I do on my face. Then again, I have a permanent ghost spot where I stopped wearing a wristwatch on my left wrist.

I also still look like a brat at 50 and my hair isn't all that gray either. I'm probably weird.
Old 06-30-16, 01:13 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I take that back, I'm pretty much really weird.
Old 06-30-16, 07:53 PM
prj71

Liked 1,275 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm using a sunscreen/insect repellent combo and it stings my eyes when I sweat. .
You're not supposed to put sunscreen on your forehead when doing physical activities.
Old 06-30-16, 09:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,814 Times in 1,808 Posts
"You're not supposed to put sunscreen on your forehead when doing physical activities."
That's the weird thing. I only put the sunscreen on my cheeks and nose (below the bridge), not on my forehead or anywhere closer to my eyes. I wear a bandanna pulled down over my forehead so I don't need sunscreen there. Best I can figure, the breeze blew the sweat up from my face into my eyes.

I'll try some different sunscreen.
Old 06-30-16, 09:52 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Bikes: '17 Custom Stumpjumper Expert 6FiddyFatty / 2021 Sirrus X 5.0

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Sunscreen makes my skin crawl! The thought of it on me makes my skin crawl. The only one I've been able to use with any regularity was the Nutrogena 55spf that felt more like a moisturizing lotion than it did a coating like all sunscreens but during activity, it still has a squirm factor and ends up in my eyes. When I run the boat on the ocean or my smaller boat on the Delta or lakes, I use a Buff. Similar to the apparatus in the OP's link. It's a seamless tube with an spf. There's a good video on youtube on how to configure such a simple garment into a myriad of different shapes and use styles. No way I could wear one while riding the road or the mtb, though. It would be to restrictive in movement as well as breathing. I see my dermatologist every 6 months like clockwork. So far, so good.
Old 07-01-16, 05:16 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by aERonAUtical96
Anyone wear a face shield/handkerchief style cloth while riding to protect from sun? I see more fishermen wearing them and am wondering if anyone has tried them mtb/commuting/racing.

I'm not advocating this following company, but to clarify what I'm asking about...
https://safishing.com/product-category/face-shield/

I'm in Florida and I lather up (didn't so much as a kid and am now paying for it as an adult), but am wondering if this might be an alternative.
Looks way too hot for west central Florida. I wear a mtn bike style helmet with a visor to help shield my face. Plus lots of SPF100 sunscreen.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-01-16, 11:50 AM
aERonAUtical96

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Felt Verza Speed 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too much time surfing as a kid without wearing protection. Used to spend so long in the sun I would blister my nose and bottom lip. It is catching up to me now 30 years later. Luckily nothing beyond AK and Basil, but it still requires me to get it cut out. I get checked every 6 months.

I lather up quite a bit now-a-days. But I figure I might try something like this as an alternative. I know my buddies that fish wear similar things. Didn't think about "restrictive" concern. I was more worried about breathability.

I ordered 1 and got 4 free. I'll let folks know the results after I test ride. It might be an alternative for some people.
Old 07-01-16, 12:28 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Work is west of home, so 90% of my daytime riding is away from the sun. I do put some SPF30 on the back of my neck, though.
Old 07-02-16, 08:29 AM
prj71

Liked 1,275 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
That's the weird thing. I only put the sunscreen on my cheeks and nose (below the bridge), not on my forehead or anywhere closer to my eyes. I wear a bandanna pulled down over my forehead so I don't need sunscreen there. Best I can figure, the breeze blew the sweat up from my face into my eyes.

I'll try some different sunscreen.
That is weird.
Old 07-02-16, 06:21 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GrizzledBastard
No way I could wear one while riding the road or the mtb, though. It would be to restrictive in movement as well as breathing.

I wear a buff on my neck and pulled over my face every time I ride, year round. It isn't really that restrictive once you get used to it, and good for bugs and dust, too.
Old 07-02-16, 06:43 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Bikes: '17 Custom Stumpjumper Expert 6FiddyFatty / 2021 Sirrus X 5.0

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
I wear a buff on my neck and pulled over my face every time I ride, year round. It isn't really that restrictive once you get used to it, and good for bugs and dust, too.
You have me curious, now. Only because yesterday, I got drilled by some bug that had to be about the size of a Boeing 747-400 I was nailed by a few smaller models on the same ride, one of them sticking between my cheek and the straps on my helmet. I had no idea what it was but it was really ticked off and buzzing! Thank God for years of training that teaches "No matter what happens, always fly the airplane!" I ignored it while I controlled my stop on a real bad stretch of fast traffic road, then unfastened and it was gone. Never saw it but I was sure I was about to feel a hellacious sting or something.

Think I'll give my buff a try...at least till our weather changes a bit which has the insect population on the move more than other times.
Old 07-02-16, 07:54 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GrizzledBastard
You have me curious, now. Only because yesterday, I got drilled by some bug that had to be about the size of a Boeing 747-400 I was nailed by a few smaller models on the same ride, one of them sticking between my cheek and the straps on my helmet. I had no idea what it was but it was really ticked off and buzzing! Thank God for years of training that teaches "No matter what happens, always fly the airplane!" I ignored it while I controlled my stop on a real bad stretch of fast traffic road, then unfastened and it was gone. Never saw it but I was sure I was about to feel a hellacious sting or something.

Think I'll give my buff a try...at least till our weather changes a bit which has the insect population on the move more than other times.
You can also wet them down and they provide some nice evaporative cooling - if the humidity is low.