Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New rider, thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 08:19 AM
Wadely

Bikes: 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New rider, thanks!

I wanted to thank everyone here for extending their time and knowledge to me. I have not rode a bike since I was probably 14 years old, now 32 years old @ 6ft 330# I was not sure I could even find a bike. Thanks to recommendations from all of you I purchased my new Giant Talon 4 last week and picked it up yesterday along with my wifes new Liv Bliss. We rode 5 miles with our son last night and had a blast. There is a little creaking from my bike while riding, not sure if that is normal or maybe just normal with a heavy rider.
Thanks again for all the great feedback!
Old 07-07-16, 08:35 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wadely
I wanted to thank everyone here for extending their time and knowledge to me. I have not rode a bike since I was probably 14 years old, now 32 years old @ 6ft 330# I was not sure I could even find a bike. Thanks to recommendations from all of you I purchased my new Giant Talon 4 last week and picked it up yesterday along with my wifes new Liv Bliss. We rode 5 miles with our son last night and had a blast. There is a little creaking from my bike while riding, not sure if that is normal or maybe just normal with a heavy rider.
Thanks again for all the great feedback!
Enjoy the new bike. I remember when I got mine. Just have the LBS check the creaking. For me its usually the bottom bracket (area by the cranks) or the seatpost. Usually means that they need a clean and light lube. Try getting out of the saddle and pedal. If the creak stops (or most of it) then the seatpost is suspect. Another common creak location is the bar and stem. Others have mentioned to check the wheel quick release skewers.
Old 07-07-16, 09:52 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As you ride more there will be less weight on the saddle, and your placement upon it will be more stable IMHO. Your core muscles in abdomen, and back get stronger. So pretty quickly you may notice some changes there. Stand on the pedals to go over bigger bumps, and in time you will learn how to ride "lighter" in the saddle without quite standing up while pedaling over rougher stuff.
Old 07-07-16, 10:42 AM
Wadely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, riding lighter figuratively and literally will make things much easier and more comfortable. Getting use to running through gears uphill and downhill, having a lot of fun and excited to go out again.
Old 07-07-16, 12:42 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 89 Posts
Enjoy the new bike. Hopefully the LBS that you purchased it from has good after the sale service and will make any small adjustments after a break in period. Creaking can be a rather large number of causes.
Old 07-07-16, 03:01 PM
Wadely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They did say to come back in 3-6 months for a free inspection and tune-up. The LBS I purchased from was actually the 3rd shop i checked out. The other 2 shops only brought out bikes from $800 and up, rather than helping us work within our budget and needs.
Old 07-07-16, 04:22 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just get on the thing every day and ride, miracles will happen :-).
Old 07-10-16, 04:06 AM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats!
Have fun out there !
Old 08-08-16, 03:21 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Wadely
along with my wife's new Liv Bliss
How is she liking the Bliss?

I've been riding a road-oriented Fuji hybrid for a year and a half, mostly on roads but sometimes on rail trails also. My wife recently decided she would like to ride the rail trails with me, so we went to the local Giant shop today. After riding several comfort bikes, she tried the Bliss Lite and immediately loved it. So that's what we came home with. It hadn't even been on my radar since I was looking at hybrids (On-Road and X-Road) but Giant lists it as an Off-Road bike. Seems like a really good bike for the price.