Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 09:40 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Here's one in black. I forget what the Ironman version is called. Too big for me and kinda dirty, however good price. With a odd 160.00 Listing probably could talk them down some. It appears to be a 58cm possibly 56cm.
Centurion
What part of the bike measures 56 cm or 58 cm?

Last edited by johnlink; 07-15-16 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 10:03 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Ugghhh- another IM thats reasonably close thats NOT a 54 aa

But if it were a 54, it likely would be in your garage now at that price, right?

Im done with buying bikes that arent my size

I enjoy seeing pics of what other people regard as "very very good condition and ready to ride" though
I hear you dmc707. Actually there was a 54 cm in San Antonio a month or two back for 150.00 but at the time I didn't have any "bike money". But I've been saving my pennies for a carbon fiber Ironman. Hopefully one year I'll find one of those in a 54.
Old 07-15-16, 12:56 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by johnlink
What part of the bike measures 56 cm or 58 cm?
Seat tube, center of bottom bracket to basically top tube.
But how most of us determine size is the inside of the head tube where the pump peg is. However, sometimes that is difficult to determine because of the angle at which the pic was taken.
Old 07-15-16, 01:38 PM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Seat tube, center of bottom bracket to basically top tube.
In which direction is the measurement made? Vertically, or also the seat tube? And what does "basically top tube" mean? Bottom of the top tube? Center of the top tube? Top of the top tube?

But how most of us determine size is the inside of the head tube where the pump peg is.
So there are two dimensions to which the measurements might refer?

However, sometimes that is difficult to determine because of the angle at which the pic was taken.
What does that sentence mean? WHAT is difficult to determine?
Old 07-15-16, 02:02 PM
texaspandj

In which direction is the measurement made? Vertically, or also the seat tube? And what does "basically top tube" mean? Bottom of the top tube? Center of the top tube? Top of the top tube?
Vertically, and top of top tube

So there are two dimensions to which the measurements might refer?
No, generally manufacturers only use seat tube when referring to frame size.

What does that sentence mean? WHAT is difficult to determine?
For some, the frame size on Ironman bikes is easier to determine using pump peg location. However some pics are taken at an angle and making it a bit more difficult to ascertain.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Hopefully I am now.
Old 07-15-16, 02:04 PM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
How did you get the picture to appear as wide as the message? I uploaded a 600x800 attachment but it does not appear as wide as the message.
Old 07-15-16, 02:12 PM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
For some, the frame size on Ironman bikes is easier to determine using pump peg location. However some pics are taken at an angle and making it a bit more difficult to ascertain.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Hopefully I am now.
I'm still puzzled. You wrote:

Vertically, and top of top tube

No, generally manufacturers only use seat tube when referring to frame size.
By "vertically", do you mean "along the seat tube"? The seat tube is not perpendicular to the ground and is therefore not vertical.

I understand you to mean that the size is measured along the seat tube from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube. Is that correct?
Old 07-15-16, 02:21 PM
texaspandj

I understand you to mean that the size is measured along the seat tube from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube. Is that correct?
Yes correct, when measuring hold tape right on top of seat tube.
Old 07-15-16, 08:48 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Nice-looking Miami Vice frame here:
Vintage Centurion Ironman Road Bike Frame Set 57x61cm Large Tange Steel | eBay
Old 07-15-16, 09:52 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by 67tony
Maybe it is, however that top tube should be fuscia and the yellow isn't supposed to be school bus yellow.
I wonder if I spelled fuscia correctly?
Old 07-15-16, 10:50 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Liked 193 Times in 115 Posts
Maybe it is, however that top tube should be fuscia and the yellow isn't supposed to be school bus yellow.
Not to mention the drewed RD hanger. Price is crazy stupid for the problems that frame has.
Old 07-16-16, 05:47 AM
plonz 

Liked 491 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
Not to mention the drewed RD hanger. Price is crazy stupid for the problems that frame has.
Wow, I didn't even notice the RD hanger is missing. Shame on theproscloset for not disclosing this. I've bought a couple of things from them that were all fine but this is sloppy.
Old 07-16-16, 10:58 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
looks like another IM victimized by the fixie phenomenon- bummer
Old 07-17-16, 01:47 PM
texaspandj

Dave Scott at the Houston USTS triathlon in 1987. Shortly after this he got some aero bars.
Pic is from a vhs tape called quest for the red jersey. It is a video about the 1987 USTS triathlon season. That's the reason it's blurry, or could it be The Man was just that fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160717_143350~2.jpg (85.6 KB, 208 views)
Old 07-17-16, 03:52 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Liked 581 Times in 253 Posts
I have had three 'Miami Vices'. When I looked at the photos something didn't look right but I couldn't figure out why. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 07-17-16, 04:28 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
This re paint is not workin' for me . Just sayin' .1988 Centurion Ironman Expert
Old 07-17-16, 05:35 PM
zs3889

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
For sale in SLC, UT (not mine) - 1986 Centurion Ironman in excellent condition
Old 07-17-16, 05:57 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Liked 180 Times in 92 Posts
heres another respray not bad but still dont like ..

Men's Centurion Bike
Old 07-19-16, 10:13 AM
zs3889

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
It's all coming together! I have been busy with work lately so it's taking longer than I had anticipated. I brought the wheels to a local bike shop to get them trued and was hoping to get the hubs overhauled. The shop owner and I talked briefly about old steel bikes and he found out that I'm actually building up one. He gave me a quote of how much the hub overhaul would cost and told/encouraged me to do it myself (he will do the hub adjustment for me at a small cost). How awesome! I had the hubs disassembled last night and I'm hoping to get some new bearings for the repacking tonight. I'm expecting to have the bike complete by the end of this week!

Old 07-19-16, 01:41 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by zs3889
It's all coming together! I have been busy with work lately so it's taking longer than I had anticipated. I brought the wheels to a local bike shop to get them trued and was hoping to get the hubs overhauled. The shop owner and I talked briefly about old steel bikes and he found out that I'm actually building up one. He gave me a quote of how much the hub overhaul would cost and told/encouraged me to do it myself (he will do the hub adjustment for me at a small cost). How awesome! I had the hubs disassembled last night and I'm hoping to get some new bearings for the repacking tonight. I'm expecting to have the bike complete by the end of this week!

Awesome, absolutely love it. DIY makes that much personal and better. Ride on.
Old 07-19-16, 01:44 PM
Hollywoodpete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope this is the right thread to asked a question but I still haven't given up re-hab on my Centurion. The rust cleaned up reasonably well and it shifts great with a new chain. My last 2 issues are the rear Alpine wheel can not be trued and my seat post is stuck. Local bike shop gave an estimate for relacing the hub to a new rim but the cost was excessive. Can a 10 speed freehub be converted to a 6 speed freewheel? If I can't unstick the seat-post, I am going to give up but my last-ditch effort is going to be using the Jaws-of-Life
Old 07-19-16, 04:49 PM
plonz 

Originally Posted by Hollywoodpete
If I can't unstick the seat-post, I am going to give up but my last-ditch effort is going to be using the Jaws-of-Life
Do a search on removing seized or stuck seat posts. Lots of remedies for this in addition to brute force

As for your wheel, are you considering a different wheel with a 10 speed hub in place of the 6 speed wheel than cannot be trued? Not the ideal solution but may be workable. I don't know the limits of your particular derailleur but it may actually friction shift through all 10 gears. At least 8 I would guess. You can set the limit screw to stop at the end of the derailleur limit and call it a day. Kinda hinkey but should work. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding where you're trying to go with this.
Old 07-19-16, 05:58 PM
Hollywoodpete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
Do a search on removing seized or stuck seat posts. Lots of remedies for this in addition to brute force

As for your wheel, are you considering a different wheel with a 10 speed hub in place of the 6 speed wheel than cannot be trued? Not the ideal solution but may be workable. I don't know the limits of your particular derailleur but it may actually friction shift through all 10 gears. At least 8 I would guess. You can set the limit screw to stop at the end of the derailleur limit and call it a day. Kinda hinkey but should work. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding where you're trying to go with this.
Thanks for the response. I am spoiled by index shifting and really want to index shift. I think I am limited to 6 speeds by the shifter. It has all 105 components so I really want a 6-speed compatible rear wheel. Freehub or freewheel doesn't matter to me. I just have a few extra 9-10 speed alloy freehub wheels but no 6 speed freewheels. I guess I could use spacers and a 6 speed cassette but would need a little help finding a cassette that works with a 6-8 speed chain along with insight into what size spacers to use.
Old 07-19-16, 09:23 PM
texaspandj

Thanks for the response. I am spoiled by index shifting and really want to index shift. I think I am limited to 6 speeds by the shifter. It has all 105 components so I really want a 6-speed compatible rear wheel. Freehub or freewheel doesn't matter to me. I just have a few extra 9-10 speed alloy freehub wheels but no 6 speed freewheels. I guess I could use spacers and a 6 speed cassette but would need a little help finding a cassette that works with a 6-8 speed chain along with insight into what size spacers to use.
I think I may have a 6 speed rear wheel. I won't be able to get to it til monday. But if I still have it you're welcome to it. You'd just have to pay for shipping. If you haven't gotten one by Monday I'll check my shed for it.
Old 07-19-16, 10:31 PM
plonz 

Easiest route is definitely to go with 6 speed freewheel/cassette on a 6-8 speed hub. In theory you could "space" 6 cogs on a 10 speed hub and set the derailleur limits accordingly. PITA to find the right spacers and last set I bought was $30. For that price you could buy a used 9/10 speed indexed shifter and be better off with a 9/10 speed cassette on one of your spare wheels.

Maybe offer up a trade in the For Sale section offering one of your 10 speed wheels for a 6 speed wheel.

^Or I just noticed the above offer which you should probably jump on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.