Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Danger From Carbon Fiber Bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Danger From Carbon Fiber Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 01:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,714 Times in 1,957 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
uggesting that CF bikes (all CF bikes) are made to last two years is preposterous.
A rare straightforward remark from Mr. M, but as usual, right to the point.
Old 07-26-16, 01:47 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Actually there has been more fork failures than frame failures, as there is more CF seatpost breaking than there are frames, some of those breakages may be result of incorrect torque being used on the CF part and weakening it, but therein lies a huge problem just in itself, not all torque wrenches are 100 percent accurate, so if you buy one trusting that it's accurate but it's off by 5 inch pounds that could be enough to crush the CF a bit and weaken it which down the road could cause a failure.

Here is one report of issues with CF forks: Steered wrong? Racers concerned about broken carbon steerer tubes | VeloNews.com Note what Trek blames the issue on, of course like any good manufacture they'll past the blame on to something else. There are two pages to the above site so read both, because later on the 2nd page Trek "fixes" the issue but to prevent lawsuits they say that even though they added more carbon to make forks stronger it's still passes the blame onto the consumer. Then at the bottom of the page 2 read Vaughans statement. I don't think a bike should be so sensitive in regards to torque values make it so complicated that the average home mechanic could easily make a mistake that could lead to catastrophic failure, this wasn't ever the case back prior to CF parts coming along, we never measure torque values, if something was over tightened no big deal, if something was not tightened enough it would come loose and we would know it and tighten it further. But alas everyone wants the lightest stuff they can buy so we have these issues.

Here is another VeloNews article on forks requesting a industry wide fork steerer test: Cervelo founder calls for industry-wide fork steerer test | VeloNews.com but all the testing in the world won't do much good if it's not torqued correctly due to operator or mechanical error.

And here is a story relating a statement made by a chartered CF engineer to view CF forks as consumable; see: Carbon fibre fork failure

Again, as I've said in other posts, that is as we make and buy lighter and lighter CF bikes we expose ourselves to greater and greater potential for a major problem to occur. I think that for areas that are currently needing correct torque values, like steerers, handlebar, seat posts etc, that these things be made out of a material that can't be compromised due to a minor incorrect torque settings that a home mechanic may fail at paying attention to or an incorrect factory adjusted torque wrench. This not something that should be left in the hands of a home mechanic nor should we be forced to take it to an LBS every time we need to make an adjustment. Just my opinion as always of course. Our bikes are not being raced, we are not getting new components during a ride or immediately after a race, or new frames every 4 months to 5 months.
Old 07-26-16, 01:48 PM
PepeM

Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWC
You see most people here aren't defending carbon frames as much as they're defending their right to choose whatever bike they want.
Defending reason, more like.
Old 07-26-16, 01:50 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
as we make and buy lighter and lighter CF bikes we expose ourselves to greater and greater potential for a major problem to occur.
Remove CF from the sentence. Does the point still stand? Well, there you go.
Old 07-26-16, 01:59 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You see most people here aren't defending carbon frames as much as they're defending their right to choose whatever bike they want.
I didn't realize that was what was at stake here
Old 07-26-16, 02:11 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Let's go a different route with this.

Aside from racers, who are carbon fiber road racing bikes suitable for?

What type of rider would you recommend one to?

Who would you try and dissuade from buying one?
Old 07-26-16, 02:17 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Aside from racers, who are carbon fiber road racing bikes suitable for?
I don't think you'll find many who say that CF racing bikes are a good choice for anyone besides competitive racers, just that if a recreational rider chooses to spend their money on one, it is not going to wear anywhere near as fast as a guy putting 20000 miles a year on a bike is going to wear it.
Old 07-26-16, 02:21 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Remove CF from the sentence. Does the point still stand? Well, there you go.
Hmm, not entirely since Rodriguez makes the lightest steel bike in the world called the Outlaw at 13.5 pounds and there isn't one report of a frame failure. So no, I can't just add any material in there but usually lighter stuff will fail sooner that's true.
Old 07-26-16, 02:22 PM
DaveWC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ftfy

Originally Posted by jarrett2
let's go a different route with this.

Aside from racers, who are very light road racing bikes suitable for?

What type of rider would you recommend one to?

Who would you try and dissuade from buying one?
Old 07-26-16, 02:23 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Hmm, not entirely since Rodriguez makes the lightest steel bike in the world called the Outlaw at 13.5 pounds and there isn't one report of a frame failure. So no, I can't just add any material in there but usually lighter stuff will fail sooner that's true.
Is this a joke?
Old 07-26-16, 02:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

PepeM is hitting every pitch out of the park, today.

I woulsd recommend a CF bike to myself.And to any rider who wanted a lightweight frame which abosrbed a lot of road vibration ... and to anyone who thought they looked cool, for that matter.

Almost every road mile driven in a Ferrari or Lamborghini is done at a pace which could be achieved by a Ford Fiesta or a Honda Civic. Why do people buy Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis?

They Want to.

Face it, the hysteria over the supposedly "deadly' nature of CF is stupid and wholly unfounded.

As PepeM notes, as we choose to buy lighter parts, of any material, we are approaching the limits of durability/failure. (I have heard a lot that unless you race seriously, Ultegra is better than Dura-Acre because Dura-Ace is made for guys planing to replace much of the drivetrain every season or more frequently ... they are lighter but less durable.)

On the other hand, bikes built of CF, forks built of CF, CF seat posts, bars, stems ... have all been around a long, long time. So take off your tinfoil hats and face the fact that there is no world-wide industry-wide cover-up of the massive death toll attributable to CF parts. it simply isn't real.

As I said earlier, this exact same thread comes up every so often---aimed at Aluminum frames, because the "Steel is Real" crown points out that steel has a much longer service life and Al frames a Guaranteed to crack and break everywhere all the time.

It is hard to imagine that threads like these gain any traction at all ... and then I remember that I live in a country where Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton are deemed most fit to lead the nation.
Old 07-26-16, 02:29 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
there is no world-wide industry-wide cover-up of the massive death toll attributable to CF parts.
wtf is he talking about?
Old 07-26-16, 02:32 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I'd argue the point that there are very few heavily ridden steel bikes from the 70s, 80s, 90s or even 00s that are still being ridden at the same rate. Bikes last for decades hanging in a garage collecting dust. They don't last for decades of 5,000-10,000 miles a year on the open road.
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Most riders simply don't need the expensive bikes they ride. Racing components are not always the most suitable and durable for daily use.
Perhaps one should argue that most Pro Racers simply don't get the full use out of their bikes. Ride it a year and throw it away? It is the casual users that really get the full use out of the bikes.

My old Colnago was purchased at about 14 years old, and ridden pretty regularly for over 3 decades. And it shows the years of use. Perhaps it doesn't count though, as I think it may actually be from the 60's.

Not so many miles lately as I now have a newer Carbon Fiber Colnago. But, it is still one of my favorite bikes.

But, I'll be happy enough if I get another 5 to 10 years out of my current C-40.
And I'd be very happy if I'm still riding at all in another 30 years.
Old 07-26-16, 02:35 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
It is hard to imagine that threads like these gain any traction at all ... and then I remember that I live in a country where Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton are deemed most fit to lead the nation.
Ouch.
Old 07-26-16, 02:38 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Perhaps one should argue that most Pro Racers simply don't get the full use out of their bikes.
That much is clear. They also change the bartape after every race. Doge has talked plenty about buying tubulars from race teams that still have plenty of life on them. There is also the aforementioned water bottles which get thrown away after a single use. None of those are replaced/thrown away due to fear of asplosion. It's just the way things work at the World Tour stage.

Nice bike btw.
Old 07-26-16, 02:48 PM
CliffordK

That much is clear. They also change the bartape after every race. Doge has talked plenty about buying tubulars from race teams that still have plenty of life on them. There is also the aforementioned water bottles which get thrown away after a single use. None of those are replaced/thrown away due to fear of asplosion. It's just the way things work at the World Tour stage.

Nice bike btw.
One of my best cycling purchases was a pile of flat tires.

I patched them up and put many miles on them. Of course, that was before any kind of armor protection to the tires, and racing tires aren't necessarily designed for commuting and touring. But, they still were good.
Old 07-26-16, 02:58 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is plenty of anecdotal data on CF frame failure. The problem with CF is that when it fails, it doesn't bend, it breaks. Steel, alu and ti frames show signs of fatigue prior to catastrophic failure. CF, not so much.

Originally Posted by joejack951
Most people will never experience a frame failure regardless of material.

Old 07-26-16, 03:02 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by American Euchre
There is plenty of anecdotal data on CF frame failure. The problem with CF is that when it fails, it doesn't bend, it breaks. Steel, alu and ti frames show signs of fatigue prior to catastrophic failure. CF, not so much.
The majority of people I know with frame cracks are all CF. I know one aluminum frame that cracked after years of use. No steel frames. I've seen a 10 year old titanium frame crack at the seatpost clamp area as well.

I get limping along on a cracked metal frame for a bit, but knowing what I know about the nature of CF failure, I can't imagine throwing a leg over a carbon bike with a visible crack anywhere. But I have riding acquaintances that do it every week.
Old 07-26-16, 03:03 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I don't think you'll find many who say that CF racing bikes are a good choice for anyone besides competitive racers, just that if a recreational rider chooses to spend their money on one, it is not going to wear anywhere near as fast as a guy putting 20000 miles a year on a bike is going to wear it.
The wear attributable to a casual rider and a racer is different.

The racer may subject their bikes to 30 MPH crashes with broken pieces flying every direction.
The casual rider might subject their bikes to 10 MPH crashes with a bike that looks unscathed.

The racer may put in 50K miles in 2 years.
The casual rider may put in 50K miles in a lifetime.

Torque? Mashing? Standing?

My guess the biggest differences have to do with age, heat, and sunlight.

There are likely a few bikes that live their lives in the basement, and will endure for decades. Others that get pounded on for years and chained up in the sun.

Thinking about the old Colnago Super. Something has destroyed the paint. The top tube wear is mainly pants abrasion. Maybe slicker pants are the worst??? But it is mostly paint deep, and not that big of a concern. However, the rest of the paint has started just flaking off. I think it may be due to heat, sun, & UV (and maybe salt in Missouri). If a CF bike had gotten that bad, I'd certainly be concerned with what was under the paint.

The new(er) Colnago C-40 has a lot of plastic on it. I do worry that the plastic bits and pieces may not wear as long as my old steel and aluminum. But, we'll see. Plastic "bushings" are good. A lot has changed. I've had cables and cable housing last for decades. People now are talking about changing it out annually.

But, perhaps I don't need another "forever" bike either.

Last edited by CliffordK; 07-26-16 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 03:10 PM
DaveWC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't realize that was what was at stake here
I didn't realize anything was at stake here. But given that you think that there is, what is at stake for you if I continue riding a carbon bike? Is it necessary that I agree with you? As a carbon bike rider I have a dog in the fight when someone is dumb enough to suggest that all carbon bikes should be thrown away after 2 years because his 10 year old bike showed a seam on the fork after he ran it into a wall. Why is this discussion relevant for you?

Last edited by DaveWC; 07-26-16 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 03:11 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The majority of people I know with frame cracks are all CF. I know one aluminum frame that cracked after years of use. No steel frames. I've seen a 10 year old titanium frame crack at the seatpost clamp area as well.

I get limping along on a cracked metal frame for a bit, but knowing what I know about the nature of CF failure, I can't imagine throwing a leg over a carbon bike with a visible crack anywhere. But I have riding acquaintances that do it every week.
That's very strange. Why don't they just take it in to the dealer to inspect for safety? I'm assuming many of those damaged frames are still under warranty?
Old 07-26-16, 03:15 PM
rekmeyata

Is this a joke?
The lightest custom racing bicycles | Lighter than carbon fiber | The Steel Rodriguez Outlaw Nope
Old 07-26-16, 03:19 PM
rekmeyata

wtf is he talking about?
He's talking about the same world wide cover up due to rim brakes failing for decades sending thousands of people to their deaths and thus now we need disk brakes to prevent those thousands of deaths.
Old 07-26-16, 03:27 PM
Maelochs

As well as the world-wide conspiracy to cover up the fact that disc brakes are responsible for so many amputations that the pro peleton is afraid to adopt them.

CF frames are not deadly, generally last more than a couple years, are not as resilient as steel or aluminum, and are perfectly worthwhile for any riders who want them. Deal with it.

People who are afraid of CF should ride metal--or bamboo. people who have a driving need to tell the world that CF frames are deadly, and manufacturers are selling them knowing they are deadly, should take their meds.
Old 07-26-16, 03:32 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why is this discussion relevant for you?
I guess because I ride road bikes. And every time I walk into a bike shop to look at new bikes, they tell me why the latest and greatest carbon fiber race bike is exactly the bike that I need. It's important to me to stay up to speed on the current bike build trends so I will be an educated buyer when the time comes again.

If I would have been shown that "Condition 1" statement that I posted earlier in the thread at my LBS, where I should have seen it, that information would have certainly changed some of my decisions. I can only hope that passing that knowledge on to others might help them in the future.

Originally Posted by American Euchre
Why don't they just take it in to the dealer to inspect for safety? I'm assuming many of those damaged frames are still under warranty?
I can only assume they did and were told it was fine and not covered by warranty. Which has to suck to hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.