Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Right pinky toe hotspot/numbness - losing hope :'(

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 07:50 PM
KantoBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking this has something to do with cleat position or on how my foot tilts. This only started this year and I'm wondering why. I initially blamed my foot getting wider from playing more basketball over the winter but that reason doesn't make much sense to me.

I use Speedplays and I've had my cleats far back and on the extreme inner (AGAIN, no pain the past few years and my LEFT FOOT IS PROBLEM-FREE). I'm pedaling fine and have raced with this set up with no issues last yr.

Anyone got ideas? I've adjusted the cleats a bit for tomorrow's ride (3mm to the outer)
Old 08-01-16, 09:40 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that your feet may have changed and got larger. I had that very thing happen when I began backpacking. I had purchased new hiking boots which after about two months no longer fit well.

Last edited by berner; 08-01-16 at 04:10 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 08-01-16, 10:21 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I developed an issue where my whole foot started hurting on longer rides with my mtb shoes. I ended up moving the cleat back about 4mm and using the back hole to allow the metal plate that it attaches to, to be more forward on the bottom of my foot...worked for me.

I just threw them on wherever originally and didn't think twice about it (about 2 years ago) and never had an issue. There is so much float in my shoes that I don't think it really mattered. I think I started having issues when I took training more seriously this year and started pushing pretty decent sustained wattage, in all honesty.
Old 08-06-16, 03:38 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
If the cleats are all the way back you could try more saddle setback, 3 or 4mm, or use a thinner insole in your shoes
Old 08-06-16, 03:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5990 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,622 Posts
part of the inflammation process involves swelling. So you might have done something, ie. kicked a chair leg or whatever, and now that toe is a bit swollen, and the shoes tighter by that amount. The added pressure keeps it alive, and will continue to do so unless/until you give it a long no pressure rest.

BTW- what started this might not be as obvious than having kicked the bed. maybe you wore new shoes a few days to break them in, and now your trusty cycling shoes are tight.

Also keep in mind that often pain in the extremities has nothing to do with anything local. Though I've never heard of it related to a toe, pain in the lower legs often traces back to sciatica or some other nerve or circulation issue.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-08-16, 10:11 AM
zx9rmal

Bikes: '92 Merlin Extralight, '19 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Are these the same shoes you have always been using? I had the same problem and it went away when I went to good quality/fitting shoes. Speedplay makes all kinds of wedges/shims for this issue. I would call them. Also, a good fitter should be able to sort this out. Good luck.
Old 08-09-16, 04:05 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by KantoBoy
I'm thinking this has something to do with cleat position or on how my foot tilts. This only started this year and I'm wondering why. I initially blamed my foot getting wider from playing more basketball over the winter but that reason doesn't make much sense to me.

I use Speedplays and I've had my cleats far back and on the extreme inner (AGAIN, no pain the past few years and my LEFT FOOT IS PROBLEM-FREE). I'm pedaling fine and have raced with this set up with no issues last yr.

Anyone got ideas? I've adjusted the cleats a bit for tomorrow's ride (3mm to the outer)
Have you tried inserting a 'button' under the insole?
i.e. I had the same issue a while back.

Cut out a 35mm? diameter round section from another old insole, and taped this underneath my new insole, at the centre of the ball of the foot.

Kind of like this:-
Metatarsal Pad Benefits | Natural Footgear

DIY / no cost / 5 min. job. Numb outer little toe/s gone
Old 08-12-16, 10:30 PM
KantoBoy

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Have you tried inserting a 'button' under the insole?
i.e. I had the same issue a while back.

Cut out a 35mm? diameter round section from another old insole, and taped this underneath my new insole, at the centre of the ball of the foot.

Kind of like this:-
Metatarsal Pad Benefits | Natural Footgear

DIY / no cost / 5 min. job. Numb outer little toe/s gone
Hey thanks for the tip

I actually bought some metatarsal pads and did a test ride last Friday. I really cannot tell if it made any difference. My feet were still painful post ride.
Old 08-13-16, 10:49 AM
Maximum Effort

Bikes: 7 between his and hers and other

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New cyclist here. I just had a Retul fitting. One of my minor complaints was pinky toe numbness. They put shims under my toes...that made it worse! They also suggested Carbon shoes. I'm not going to spend $400 on shoes but maybe more than my Velcro Shimanos.
Old 08-14-16, 03:46 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Hey thanks for the tip

I actually bought some metatarsal pads and did a test ride last Friday. I really cannot tell if it made any difference. My feet were still painful post ride.
That's a shame.

Would it be worth tracking down a physio who also does bike fit, in your area?
Old 08-14-16, 10:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Feet not being made in a factory, like shoes are, one foot is different from the other.

You wear narrow clipless cycling shoes they are tight because they are made that way.

Shoe repair shop may Take your shoes In and stretch it from the inside out.

(pedicure that little toe nail short)

I rode months long tours on toe clip and strap pedals and wore Loose fitting Shoes ,
With comfortable insoles and my feet remained comfortable the whole time.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-14-16 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-15-16, 07:44 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 391 Posts
Another option is flat pedals and something like Five Ten/DZR/Chrome or similar shoes. The advantage is that you can move your foot on the pedal if a hot spot occurs. Flats typically have more surface area supporting your foot so pounds/square inch isless with flats than with clipless or even quills/toe clips - less pressure means less likelihood of hotspots.

Not for everyone, but something to consider....
Old 08-17-16, 08:27 AM
Ali89

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you thought about wedges? BikeFit - Cleat Wedges

I used to get bad discomfort on the outside of my foot before I started using them. Pretty sure someone makes them for speedplay.
Old 08-17-16, 09:02 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,583 Posts

How tight do you lace your shoes? Your feet naturally swell a little on longer rides, and I need to start a ride with somewhat loose shoes for everything to equal out.

It's also very possible that your right foot is a little wider than your left, so it doesn't have enough lateral room in the toebox.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-14-16, 07:58 PM
NickFit0036

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My feet went numb easily for a long time before I found the perfect shoes. I currently ride Fizik R3 shoes and they have a gel pad under the insole that takes so much pressure off of the toes. They are also just the prefect shape for my feet. But, if the outside of one of your feet is going numb, you may have a Q-factor issue. If your hip on that side is too wide, your knee may be coming out on the top of the stoke (looks like a V). This will cause you to put a lot of pressure on the outside of the foot, causing the small toe to go numb. You can resolve this by either moving your clear further inward towards the big toe which will more the foot outward away from the frame increasing your Q measurement. If your cleat is already all the way in, you can use some pedal spacers to get your foot further away from the frame. I used to run 3 1mm spacers on one side of my crank and 0 spacers on the other side for this very reason. Give it a try.

Nick Zema
Bought A Bike Online? I Come To You Build & Fit It. Road Mountain Tri
Old 09-14-16, 08:24 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Shoes wear out. They develop divot-like grooves where toes, heel, and the ball of the foot wear on the insole. Sometimes.... the fix is a new pair of shoes.
Old 09-15-16, 10:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Shimano SPD sandals can be individually adjusted with their straps .

though You may not be able to Use Speed Play Frog pedals and get them to release easily.