Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Choosing a new bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Choosing a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 07:48 PM
Oylerz

Bikes: '16 Bombtrack Beyond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choosing a new bike

Hey all, I've only been a member here a short time, and this is actually my first post! I'm a bit of a newbie to extensive biking but have been riding and especially commuting for a long time. Last weekend however, my only bike was stolen. It wasn't anything amazing - 2013 Rocky Mountain RC10 - but it's left me searching for a new bike. I had been planning to upgrade this fall anyways so for the time being I've borrowed a friend's spare bike while I save for a new one.

I'm looking for a good bike that will allow me to get into some light touring eventually - thinking about a 5 day / 500km trip next summer.

I don't have unlimited budget but I'm looking for something that will last me for several years.

I've narrowed it down to 3 models locally available - I live in Ontario, Canada so prices and selection aren't what they are in the USA. The three models I'm leaning towards picking from are:

2016 Trek 720 Disc

2016 Trek Crossrip LTD

2016 Raliegh Tamland 1

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks a ton in advance!
Old 07-31-16, 08:05 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've test rode both the 720 and Crossrip LTD. They were both nice bikes. I liked the Crossrip better because I felt it fit my needs better. I was looking for commuting and this bike seemed to have what I was looking for plus if I wanted to just ride and not commute I felt it was more versatile.

I don't recall exactly, but it seemed the Crossrip would be limited in tire size if fenders were used. The 720 comes with wider tires.

I don't know anything about the Tamland. I've test rode Ralieghs before and found they were different than Trek.

Of course ride all three if you can.

The 720 comes with an 11 speed and the LTD 10 speed. My LBS is big on the 11 speed being much better than the 10 speed.

Last edited by dbikingman; 07-31-16 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-31-16, 08:21 PM
Oylerz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent! Yep, definitely plan to ride all three as well as a few other ones that aren't currently on my list.

Good point about the clearance. I didn't have fenders on my old bike, but may consider them for a tour just in case...

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-31-16, 08:34 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could go to REI (if I remember correctly they are in canada), they do carry some major brands such as Cannondale and Diamondback. I know Diamondbacks are decent, I've rode a few over the years.
Old 07-31-16, 08:41 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I don't know a thing about the Raleigh,so I'll skip commenting on it.

I own a 2006 Trek Portland, the forerunner of the Crossrip.

The biggest difference between the two Treks is the frame geometry. The Crossrip is likely to handle a tad bit slower, which some people translate as more stable. The numbers are nearly identical to my Portland. Nothing will knock it off my intended line. When I load it up with the week's worth of groceries, it actually feels better. The Crossrip will probably handle like this.

The 720 is likely to feel more lively and handle more crisply--although it wouldn't be confused with a full-on road bike. It will probably feel more responsive when you have to dart around in traffic.

The Crossrip comes with wider tires, 32mm to the 720's 28. It's a personal choice thing there. I'm happy with 28s for commuting in the three seasons on my side of the lake. Others aren't happy unless they have steam roller tires. It's your choice there.

It would appear that they are about equal in max width with fenders. I run 38mm studded snow tires under full fenders in the winter without issue. If you intend to ride through the winter with studded tires, you'll appreciate the extra stability of the Crossrip. In the three-seasons, it makes little difference to me.

Really, between the two, the differences are likely to be more subtle than I've made out. Test ride them both on the same route, and pick the one you like better. Doesn't really matter what any of us says.
Old 07-31-16, 08:44 PM
slo_rida

Bikes: cyclocross commuter, 29er full suspension, surly necro

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
There are no REIs in Canada, but the Canadian equivalent (MEC) carries quite a few bikes.
Old 08-04-16, 07:14 PM
Oylerz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toured a few shops about 2 hours away yesterday while I was in Toronto for other things. I saw a great deal on a 2015 Diamondback Century Sport Disc. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on it?

Seems to have a decent set of components...

Specs are here:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Diamondback...Disc-Bike-2015

Price is nearly half of the price of the other options I listed.