Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Making the jump from CAT 1 to Continental

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Making the jump from CAT 1 to Continental

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 06:24 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Ha. If curious about race horses

"VO2max was reached at... work rates ranging from 3016W to 4260W"

Cardiovascular and respiratory responses in Thoroughbred horses during treadmill exercise. - PubMed - NCBI
cool!

doping is pretty big in horse-racing, no?
Old 08-11-16, 06:36 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
indurain was ~500w for the hour, to put it in perspective.

something still seems off.
Keep in mind that the U23 TT was 33 minutes and change, not an hour.

It seems that he can do 450w for an hour and still pedal, meaning like in the Tour of CA he still had the rest of the queen stage to go (first hour was 450w). I don't know if he rode before/after the race when he lapped the A race 3 times, but I think those guys were riding to the race.

To me those numbers are just crazy, but based on Tim's numbers they seem right in line (Tim is more like 5'10", rides a 56 cm or so). But having been in races with him, mostly when he was like 17 or 18, he's been pretty consistent in his overwhelming power. He's also enormous, it's like standing next to an elephant. His thighs are enormous.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-11-16, 06:38 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Keep in mind that the U23 TT was 33 minutes and change, not an hour.
i was responding to the comment above that said he would need 550w for the hour, which would put him at 10% over indurain's power. indurain was big and, well....maybe not on bread and water.

in that context it just doesn't seem right.
Old 08-11-16, 06:50 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
i was responding to the comment above that said he would need 550w for the hour, which would put him at 10% over indurain's power. indurain was big and, well....maybe not on bread and water.

in that context it just doesn't seem right.
Yeah, he basically said that wouldn't be possible. He was redlined at about 500w for half the time so doing more for twice the time... that would be hard to say the least.

Of course then I think of that Velonews tire rolling resistance test and narrow aero frames and this and that and yada yada yada...

And Indurain... failing a dope test shortly before his hour record, absolutely altering they way he rode from one season to two seasons later...
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-11-16, 08:43 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts

doping is pretty big in horse-racing, no?
Huge. Between the gambling and the fact that the "athletes" don't get any say in what they take it gets out of control quick.
Old 08-11-16, 10:05 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
When I first took up playing ice hockey in college, I got very good, very quickly. And I thought, man, had I started younger, maybe I could make a minor league team.

A couple years later, in my mid-20s, I was playing in a beer league and was on a team with a guy only a couple years older than me who had spent six years in the NHL. His career flamed out early after too many ACL tears. Even with his limited mobility, he was on another level. He could skate circles around the best guy out there and his slapshot was insane.

At one point he coached an ECHL team, and I asked him about possibly signing me to an emergency backup contract if they ever needed someone. He laughed, and said no. He didn't want my death on his hands. He told me I didn't know how to check a guy, nor would I survive a hit. He was probably right.

I can also say that I did once have a conversation with a scout from the Maple Leafs about playing for them. It was a very short conversation.
Had a similar experience while playing slowpitch softball. A guy on our team asked if he could bring out his sister's friend or something. We said sure. At first glance we were let down because he didn't look like a softball guy. But damn he could play, covered more ground at short stop and had the most powerful and accurate arm we'd seen. His swing was pure and homeruns were effortless.

So ... eventually, we were like "...uh, you play college ball?" He said no, backup second base for the A's. Oh...
Old 08-11-16, 11:27 PM
Andy STi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

getting smashed by sagan the other day was a feeling like no other. i mean, no one could stay with him for even ten seconds.
I think it was that Camelback you were wearing? What's the Cda of that?
Old 08-11-16, 11:32 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy STi
I think it was that Camelback you were wearing? What's the Cda of that?
are we on tape delay in oregon?

you coming to race next year?

ps your boy tom h raced.
Old 08-12-16, 08:36 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
indurain was ~500w for the hour, to put it in perspective.

something still seems off.
implying that ben wolfe should be at a higher level than he is? or that his numbers are reading high?

big mig was well....big. 498 for 30ish minutes (length of u23 nationals) seems plausible for a 195 lb guy.

wiggins has publically shared that for london ITT he did 472w for 52minutes and that was his TDF weight , like.... 71.75kg (151lbs)

Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
What amazes me is that this is a guy who basically won everything as a Cat 1, get on a legit UCI Continental team, and is now winning every now and then, but he wasn't up there with the likes of Adrien Costa or anything just decimating ToU. Talk about a whole new level.
imho bryan would need to be just a smaller package to climb with costa, morton, etc at the pro level. He's just getting his pro feet wet, so who knows, but i dont think BL will be utilized as a climber on teams. It's equally incredible to think that probably cavendish can still outclimb cat 1s and he's in the gruppetto of grand tours lol.
Old 08-12-16, 08:40 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp
wiggins has publically shared that for london ITT he did 472w for 52minutes and that was his TDF weight , like.... 71.75kg (151lbs)
jesus wtf...
Old 08-12-16, 09:31 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
jesus wtf...
yea so many humbling pro moments to think of that going pro can't even be a consideration unless u are nearing some of their metrics. I think off memory froome's SRM power from vuelta TT where he got 3rd overall, i could probably do his TT w/kg for 3-4 minutes , and his TT was like 55minutes long.

Back to london olympics basedgod wiggins, for 44km course his time of 50:39 , that's a 32.38 mph average. The best TTer in our area, Blair Berbert (who finished 2nd at elite ITT nats this year) crushes this pan flat 40km course here in MABRA at 30.3mph @370w (probably....3 full minutes faster than me at least 278w 28.0mph 53:20). Just eeking out MPHs over a long course probably takes that extra 100w that wiggins has.... I did 30.5mph average on my TT bike for 8.5 minutes once and at my weight + Position (maybe not optimized) i needed 357w, flat (little to no wind). It's a huge ask.

i remember another baseball fact something like the bugatti veyron needed 600 of its 1001 hp to make it from 180mph to 230mph. So much power is needed to push yourself through the medium of air.
Old 08-12-16, 10:43 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I love the getting stronger journey though, it's like the world's crappiest Rocky montage and you don't even know if you'll be able to defeat the Russian at the end of it!

My come to jesus was a few months back when i realized the magic 5w/kg ftp does not make me a special snowflake in 1/2 racing. It's enough to hang on long enough to get your face punched in in road races and gain fitness to survive a bit longer every time, while you watch the actual players throw haymakers at each other. It's so cool though! Yay bikes ughhhh...
Old 08-12-16, 04:59 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin

My come to jesus was a few months back when i realized the magic 5w/kg ftp does not make me a special snowflake in 1/2 racing.
It's enough to hang on long enough to get your face punched in in road races and gain fitness to survive a bit longer every time, while you watch the actual players throw haymakers at each other. It's so cool though! Yay bikes ughhhh...

I've only ever done 5 w/kg for about 15 mins. I think that's right around my 15 min pr, actually. But it has very little to do with successful 1/2 racing (unless you're doing lots and lots of climbing, and I wouldn't know about that).