Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Lezyne GPS computers look awesome!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Lezyne GPS computers look awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-16, 09:31 AM
Bostic

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The new Super looks promising as it now has 5 different screens that you can page through with 4 rows of metrics displayed. I would have preferred more as I use 7 metrics on the main screen of my Edge 500. Their main page lists grade as something that can be displayed however that is not mentioned in the manual. I also don't see how multiple bikes are supported.

I really want to get away from Garmin as it's ridiculous that something from 2010 (Edge 500) has better guts in it than their newer devices. I bought an Edge 520 to replace an aging 500 that had issues with the lower left button and decreasing battery life. Previously before I tried replacing it with a 510 when it was fairly new. Whatever hardware that is in the 500 should have been carried over to newer devices. The grade reading has so much lag, it's useless and the temperature reading is a good 8 to 10 degrees lower than what it actually is. At first I thought it was just me, but glancing over the Garmin forums and DC Rainmakers site, others have the same complaints about it. It appears the new 820 also has the grade reading issue. When you're going max effort for a few minutes up a 14% grade, you want to see that, not 7% and then when you coasting down the other side see the grade jump to 12% then back down.

As a long distance and double century rider, my perfect computer would be the Edge 500 with more battery life and better GPS. Lezyne is pretty close to that now with the Enhanced Super.
Old 08-19-16, 09:33 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
The nicest thing about Garmin Connect is that it automatically syncs to Strava.
If you want it too, which I don't have a use for.

OTOH, Connect does a very good and reliable job keeping track of both my rides as well as swim workouts. It may well be the best program for swimming, Endomondo sucked and I've not found anything as good as Connect, especially as I use the Garmin swim watch which works very well. Plus my Edge 810 has been very reliable, with the ability to create courses in Connect as easy and good as RideWithGPS.

I could see some improvements to Connct, but overall I've been very happy with the system.
Old 08-19-16, 09:35 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Just checked out Bryton, and none of them allow you to load maps right? That alone makes the 520 worth it IMO.
Correct, and the same for these devices. They only allow breadcrumb trail type mapping. The Lezynes do support turn-by-turn, which the Bryton's I'm pretty sure don't.
Old 08-19-16, 09:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
OTOH, Connect does a very good and reliable job keeping track of both my rides as well as swim workouts. It may well be the best program for swimming, Endomondo sucked and I've not found anything as good as Connect, especially as I use the Garmin swim watch which works very well.
Yeah, this.

I just recently got the HRM-Swim chest strap.
Old 08-19-16, 09:41 AM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Correct, and the same for these devices. They only allow breadcrumb trail type mapping. The Lezynes do support turn-by-turn, which the Bryton's I'm pretty sure don't.

Bryton does have turn by turn in the new 530 and 330 units.
Old 08-19-16, 09:42 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by BigPoser
OK, I hadn't spotted this.

Anyone know how Bryton and Lezyne actually implement this?

For example, the ELEMNT right now has turn-by-turn, but it only works if you make the route in RideWithGPS.
Old 08-19-16, 09:43 AM
deepakvrao

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Can you load a map, and see alternative routes etc? Or, is it only a breadcrumb trail like the older Edge 500?
Old 08-19-16, 09:47 AM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

For example, the ELEMNT right now has turn-by-turn, but it only works if you make the route in RideWithGPS.
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Can you load a map, and see alternative routes etc? Or, is it only a breadcrumb trail like the older Edge 500?

From their website on the 530:

You can plan your trips from Bryton app, follow previous rides from your device history or download .gpx tracks shared from other users. With built in electronic compass, you are always on top of where you are and to which direction you are heading.

Looks promising.
Old 08-19-16, 09:50 AM
dr_lha

From their website on the 530:

You can plan your trips from Bryton app, follow previous rides from your device history or download .gpx tracks shared from other users. With built in electronic compass, you are always on top of where you are and to which direction you are heading.

Looks promising.
We'll see. The ELEMNT an import GPX and TCX tracks too, but those don't give you turn by turn. RideWithGPS has cue sheet support, I don't think Strava or MapMyRide do, so importing GPX from the latter two sights won't give you TBT, just a breadcrumb trail to follow.
Old 08-19-16, 10:02 AM
Seattle Forrest

The problem is that GPX files can contain routes, but they can't contain course points, the actual turns that turn-by-turn works off. TCX and FIT files are needed for this; RideWithGPS can make TCX files, I suspect that's what's going on with the Element.
Old 08-19-16, 10:33 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The problem is that GPX files can contain routes, but they can't contain course points, the actual turns that turn-by-turn works off. TCX and FIT files are needed for this; RideWithGPS can make TCX files, I suspect that's what's going on with the Element.
Yep, although right now the ELEMNT can't import a TCX file with course points and use them for TBT, it can only sync with RideWithGPS directly. It's not really clear why this is the case right now, but the ELEMNT's software is being improved literally weekly.
Old 08-19-16, 10:49 AM
Seattle Forrest

If it's any consolation, my Garmin watch can only parse routes out of FIT and GPX files, but not TCX. Even though (as I understand it) TCX is their format.

(I can do turn by turn from a GPX file, but that creates waypoints instead of course points, so the map gets cluttered with a bunch of left/right points that are meaningless most of the time.)
Old 08-19-16, 12:50 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Personally, these look great. They have a ton of features and the pricing is on point. I wonder how the reviews will turn out.

Thoughts?

Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - GPS
I want maps and Garmin Edge 800 level intelligence (circa August 2010, 6 years ago).

With "turn guidance" enabled, navigation capable Garmins switch to the map screen 0.1 miles before your course changes roads with a big white arrow showing the shape of the turn. It counts down to zero and changes back.

This avoids a number of problems with bread-crumb navigation from .tcx files with embedded <CoursePoint> entries which are just text messages displayed when you reach certain GPS coordinates
  • Turn indications after the turn, not before. Although ridewithgps can generate <CoursePoint> entries a configurable distance before turns, it's not reliable unless you push it back far enough things become ambiguous.
  • Turns onto the wrong road because there were multiple options (like at 45 and 90 degrees) with poor signs and nothing matching on the screen.
  • Turns onto the wrong road because ridewithgps decided a road wiggle was a turn. With no arrow you can assume that's the case.
  • Turns with no <CoursePoint> generated and no alert until you stray far enough to trigger an off-course warning. With arrows any time your course transitions to a different road this isn't a problem.

I also need courses with user-specified entries for food and water stops.

Unfortunately, Garmin is the only company doing those things together, and their computers have software problems.

The Wahoo ELEMNT should get there - they have turn by turn and maps, but no navigation yet. Their screen is also easier to see than color Garmins due to better contrast.

When I moved on from my Edge 500 (the lap button only survived 20,000 miles and I wanted maps after making too many wrong turns) I bought an ELEMNT which I returned because it didn't accurately display power, recorded incorrect data, and didn't get turn-by-turn as scheduled before my 30 day return period lapsed. Then I bought an 810 which I returned because it crashed twice in the week I owned it running navigation on my daily 26 mile ride. Finally I ended up with a refurbished 800 which crashes on long rides with navigation, although I can work around that splitting them up into smaller rides joined after the fact.

Good:

Bad. On the display you only get "Left on Big Basin" which is confusing when you're unfamiliar with the area, street signs aren't visible (like after dark), or the street signs don't match the map names (Big Basin is also highway 9).

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-19-16 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-19-16, 01:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

OK, well as I pointed out, Strava has analogous numbers.
A "virtual power" phone app has analogous numbers to a power meter, but most people would rather have the PM than the estimate. Similarly, when the performance management chart says I need a specific amount of training stress on a ride I'm about to go on in order to get ready for an event coming up, Strava's goofy math doesn't help me.
Old 08-19-16, 01:05 PM
dr_lha

I think on-the-fly navigation with the ELEMNT is going to be a stretch. We'll see, the best I see happening is maybe their iPhone app doing it, and pushing it to the ELEMNT when you're riding. They just employed the guy who wrote "EasyRoute" app for the iPhone, so fingers crossed.

Thats said, even what the ELEMNT has now, i.e. actual Maps + breadcrumb trail is better than what the Lezyne GPS have, because being able to see the roads on a map make the TBT and GPX trails much less ambigious.

That said, with the Garmins and Wahoo devices, we're talking about units that are double the price or more than the Lezyne and Bryton GPS units.
Old 08-19-16, 01:07 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A "virtual power" phone app has analogous numbers to a power meter, but most people would rather have the PM than the estimate. Similarly, when the performance management chart says I need a specific amount of training stress on a ride I'm about to go on in order to get ready for an event coming up, Strava's goofy math doesn't help me.
Maybe less training stress would help.
Old 08-19-16, 01:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
I want maps and Garmin Edge 800 (circa 2010, 6 years ago) level intelligence on routing.
You know what's funny? I have an 800, and a watch that does breadcrumb and turn-by-turn; whenever I want to plan a course and then follow it on the bike, I send it to the watch but not the Edge. The watch vibrates and shows a left arrow and the name of the road (shortly before I get to the turn, then again at the turn), while the 800 shows where I am on the map. Together, they're fantastic.

Here's one of the nav screens on the watch. Shows elevation gained and what's still to come, and the red arrow is the direction I need to go. In this pic it's pretty much pointing ahead on the road.

Old 08-19-16, 01:08 PM
dr_lha

A "virtual power" phone app has analogous numbers to a power meter, but most people would rather have the PM than the estimate.
Strava uses real power when you have a power meter. Virtual power is only when you don't have one. If we're talking about "most people", most people don't have a power meter.

Similarly, when the performance management chart says I need a specific amount of training stress on a ride I'm about to go on in order to get ready for an event coming up, Strava's goofy math doesn't help me.
If you're reliant on the numbers produced by TrainingPeaks, Stravas versions of them probably don't help you.
Old 08-19-16, 04:04 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
That said, with the Garmins and Wahoo devices, we're talking about units that are double the price or more than the Lezyne and Bryton GPS units.
Factory refurbished Garmin 800s with new battery and case are $170, and crash less than the newer 810.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-19-16 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-19-16, 05:18 PM
dr_lha

Factory refurbished Garmin 800s with new battery and case are $170, and crash less than the newer 810.
Yeah fair enough. Used prices aren't really relevant for feature comparisons though, the companies manufacturing them have to meet a price point, and lower price means less features.
Old 08-20-16, 02:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
Drew, you do realize you've been bashing the 810 for, months, years ?, based on a weeks usage ?. And some comments of other riders you know who's 810's crash/crashed regularly and how long and how many updates ago was that.

I keep trying to find the endless posts of 810's crashing, and other then the Garmin site, where you expect to find it (but the 800 section doesn't exist, it's that old) I'm not seeing the issues. As well, outside of 2 crashes in the first 4 rides, whose problems I discovered (once with Garmins help) I'm 3 mos. and 50 some odd rides with a rock solid unit.

Would I recommend an ancient 800 refurbished for $190, which is the cheapest I can find it on the web, versus a new 810 for $250 ?. Nope.

GARMIN Bike / Cycling Computer GPS Navigator

Learn me as I'm not getting it.

And I would not be buying a Lezyne for $200 with a B&W screen, or an Elemnt with the same, when you can get a color 810, 520 or 820. Color makes a world of difference, IMO.
Old 08-20-16, 09:37 PM
deepakvrao

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

And I would not be buying a Lezyne for $200 with a B&W screen, or an Elemnt with the same, when you can get a color 810, 520 or 820. Color makes a world of difference, IMO.

Oh yes, I had said that the 520 is worth it over these units for the ability to load maps, alone. Had forgotten about the colour. Very nice to have colour.
Old 08-21-16, 01:13 AM
zastolj

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Personally, these look great. They have a ton of features and the pricing is on point. I wonder how the reviews will turn out.

Thoughts?

Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - GPS
I've used the old Mini gps for a year or so. I like it as a simple small thing with no unnecessary bells and whistles. The new mini gps is even cheaper than the old one with more features. Only thing I hate about it is the relatively short battery life, 8 hours. That means I have to remember to recharge it every few days. Next computer will have at least 14 hours, like the new Micro.

Someone asked about the mounts. Lezyne uses its own mounts. They are really secure, durable and easy to use. I've only used the standard mount though.
Old 08-21-16, 10:31 AM
king_solom0n

Bikes: Fuji SL 25, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know when they are going to be released?
Old 08-23-16, 09:46 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,834 Times in 1,103 Posts

For Lezyne, it relies on your phone to do TBT nav. They have an app called Lezyne Ally, which is necessary for TBT, and I'm not sure if it is the link/translator between a nav app on your phone (e.g. Apple Maps, Waze, etc.) or if it is, itself, a nav app which runs on your phone and spits out to the head unit.

Either way, this is what I'm liking best about these new Lezyne units, because just about any phone nav app is so much easier to use than having to go to a third party site like RidewithGps or whatever, and export a route to the head unit, or, if the head unit has native TBT nav, rely on that. Garmin's UI is just awkward to me, whereas most phone apps (at least for iPhone) seem very straightforward. If that's because the chips and other hardware in phones are so much more powerful than cycling computers, I don't know, but it seems to be the case in my experience, so streamlining the process for getting TBT on the head unit display would be great, and I always have the phone with me anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.