Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Let's face it: long socks are pointless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Let's face it: long socks are pointless

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 10:42 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Trolled. The OP hasn't responded since the initial post - must've been too hot to ride in AZ, and in typical fashion (no pun intended), the 41 pounced on it three pages later.
Old 08-22-16, 10:47 AM
Corbin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpath
Trolled. The OP hasn't responded since the initial post - must've been too hot to ride in AZ, and in typical fashion (no pun intended), the 41 pounced on it three pages later.
Here you go mate.

By saying people look like a Fred I mean they look like they are a poser. Or in other words simply copying the pros because there're pros.

If you wear long socks because that's your thing, great!

To each there own. I started this thread to state my opinion and of course some were offended. The reason why I let this thread go is because like I said it was my opinion and I'm not here to argue with anyone.

My main point was: socks are for feet not legs, that's pretty much it.

/thread
Old 08-22-16, 10:57 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Corbin
Here you go mate.

By saying people look like a Fred I mean they look like they are a poser. Or in other words simply copying the pros because there're pros.

To each there own. I started this thread to state my opinion and of course some were offended. The reason why I let this thread go is because like I said it was my opinion and I'm not here to argue with anyone.

/thread
How long are you talking about? 3" cuffs, 8" cuffs, or knee sox?
Old 08-22-16, 10:58 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Don't know if anyone has pointed this out. I have "cyclist" socks but almost always wear regular ankle-length cotton socks. The longer socks seem to help avoid "soggy shoe" syndrome when it's very hot and my legs are sweating. The runoff will soak my short socks and make the shoes feel squishy. The longer socks seem like they're better able to wick sweat away.

Not that this is a reason why I'd necessarily choose to wear longer socks. Just noticed it on occasion.
Old 08-22-16, 10:58 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
West of the Rocyy Mountains is like a different planet, and not just for fashion. OP is from Phoenix where they never heard of winter.
What the F is winter??
Old 08-22-16, 11:03 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
What the F is winter??
Winter is the 5-6 weeks when we wear knee warmers for early morning rides.
Old 08-22-16, 11:06 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
LOL! This is all just so much dumb. Tall socks, I wear them, so what. Sometimes, I like the looks, sometimes my wookie legs just aren't hairy enough for the conditions:

IMG_20160408_095912858_HDR.jpg

Sometimes I ride with ankle socks, sometimes 4" socks, sometimes 6", and then there's the knee high fuchsia argyle socks I'll be riding at CX this fall (I'll post pics after the first race).

Rocks out with your socks out!

Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
What the F is winter??
See above picture for reference

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-22-16 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 08-22-16, 11:09 AM
Corbin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup
How long are you talking about? 3" cuffs, 8" cuffs, or knee sox?
I'm referring to the typical pro sock. I know they have different lengths.

If I was a pro cyclist and my team manager handed me a pair of 3" cuffs I'd be urged to ask him what the benefits are. Logically it makes zero sense.

Now if people want to talk about compression socks that's another thread itself.
Old 08-22-16, 11:11 AM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here you go mate.

/thread

Thanks for sharing. I guess everyone has an opinion, and a desire to share it. For whatever reason.
Old 08-22-16, 11:12 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

I'm referring to the typical pro sock. I know they have different lengths.

If I was a pro cyclist and my team manager handed me a pair of 3" cuffs I'd be urged to ask him what the benefits are. Logically it makes zero sense.

Now if people want to talk about compression socks that's another thread itself.
So is this too much?

12108944_10153143588446444_9127460981268230917_n.jpg

Not that I really care, I'm just curious what you see from the view from your high horse.
Old 08-22-16, 11:13 AM
Corbin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Winter is the 5-6 weeks when we wear knee warmers for early morning rides.
crapdontstink you must be a native? I've been here 6 years from St. Louis. Cycling in the winter here is brutal to me. I was surprised to see that I like the heat 90°f is perfect. I wear leg/arm warmers full finger gloves and a lycra cap that covers my ears as well. I'm thinking a full face mask might be in store this season for me.
Old 08-22-16, 11:13 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
See above picture for reference
Or this:

MVC-545F by joe jackson, on Flickr
Old 08-22-16, 11:16 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Sometimes clothing isn't all about function, but also fashion and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-22-16, 11:17 AM
Corbin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So is this too much?

Attachment 535005

Not that I really care, I'm just curious what you see from the view from your high horse.
Not sure how I am coming of as being on a high horse. It's odd seeing people get offended over small things. But I understand that you probably model your life after others you see rather than thinking for oneself.

Perhaps you would like to elaborate on why pro cyclist wear long socks? Do you honestly not see how long cycling socks is 100% counter intuitive to everything else they wear/do for aero advantage?

It's a trend, nothing more.
Old 08-22-16, 11:25 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

crapdontstink you must be a native? I've been here 6 years from St. Louis. Cycling in the winter here is brutal to me. I was surprised to see that I like the heat 90°f is perfect. I wear leg/arm warmers full finger gloves and a lycra cap that covers my ears as well. I'm thinking a full face mask might be in store this season for me.
I bet it gets all the way down to 50F... brrrrr.

Not sure how I am coming of as being on a high horse. It's odd seeing people get offended over small things. But I understand that you probably model your life after others you see rather than thinking for oneself.

Perhaps you would like to elaborate on why pro cyclist wear long socks? Do you honestly not see how long cycling socks is 100% counter intuitive to everything else they wear/do for aero advantage?

It's a trend, nothing more.
I'm am kidding around, I am not offended. I find all of this silly - I really don't care what you wear.

If you want to complain about freds (poser); how about the guys wheezing up a 5% grade on a charity ride while riding with $5,000 CF bikes (not to mention the accessories). Now that looks straight-up silly to me.

BTW - Please let me know if you can figure out who I'm modeling my 'style' after... I wanna follow them on FB.

PS - I know high deserts get cold at night. But, I'm gonna get on my high-horse if we're gonna start talking about cold weather riding.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-22-16 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-22-16, 11:28 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts

To be fair, the socks Wiggo wore for his hour record were designed with aerodynamics in mind.

However, pros in road races with high socks aren't wearing custom aero socks, they're just doing it for aesthetics and maybe sweat wicking.
Old 08-22-16, 11:35 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

But I understand that you probably model your life after others you see rather than thinking for oneself.
Do you go the other way and model your sock choice on wearing what no one else wears? Are your socks tailored to be an odd length that no one else on earth has so you can prove your total individuality through sock fashion (or lack there of).
Old 08-22-16, 11:46 AM
noodle soup

I bet it gets all the way down to 50F... brrrrr.

I'm am kidding around, I am not offended. I find all of this silly - I really don't care what you wear.

PS - I know high deserts get cold at night. But, I'm gonna get on my high-horse if we're gonna start talking about cold weather riding.
Yep. Last January I was commuting 22 miles pre-dawn, and the temps were high 30s, but the ride home was usually over 70 degrees.

I do see some people dressed like the OP described, and it just makes me laugh a little inside.
Old 08-22-16, 11:47 AM
Gasser5.2

Bikes: 2016 Trek Domane 5.2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've yet to see anyone sporting anything longer (taller) than mid-calf, but I can tell you this: If you're a guy and ride in my neighborhood with kneesocks, you'd better be wearing a kilt too!

On a side note, I'd never heard the term "Fred" before. So before I googled it I tried to figure out what connection to cycling any of the famous Freds I know (Willard, Ward, Armisen, Flintstone) have, but came up empty.
Old 08-22-16, 01:27 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts

'The logo of the sponsors, you know, those guys thanks to whom you have a job, goes on them. That's the benefit. Now stop asking stupid questions and do your bloody job.'
Old 08-22-16, 01:44 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by PepeM

'The logo of the sponsors, you know, those guys thanks to whom you have a job, goes on them. That's the benefit. Now stop asking stupid questions and do your bloody job.'
I would love to overhear that conversation.

I wear 3"-4" cuff sox because it's more comfortable than without them, and I don't like no-see style sox.
Old 08-22-16, 02:02 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No shoes, no socks (with exception of the few times in winter I may happen to get out on the bike).

Originally Posted by texaspandj
In order to have a fast transition in a triathlon, no socks is the way to go. Since I'm a big believer in the way you train is the way you will react, I don't wear socks on training rides. My feet are accustomed to it now, no problem.
I am hoping to try my first duathlon next year (I can't swim, so the normal tri races aren't in my near future) I'm curious how fast I can do the transitions with no gear to change except helmet.
Old 08-22-16, 02:09 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by T Stew
No shoes, no socks (with exception of the few times in winter I may happen to get out on the bike).

I am hoping to try my first duathlon next year (I can't swim, so the normal tri races aren't in my near future) I'm curious how fast I can do the transitions with no gear to change except helmet.
You ride barefoot?
Old 08-22-16, 02:13 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
You had shoes???
We had to screw the cleats to the bottom of our bare feet!
You no longer do that? It's a great way to save weight.
Old 08-22-16, 02:19 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by RPK79
You ride barefoot?
I know people who have lost toenails because they thought flipflops were proper cycling attire. Riding barefoot is just plain stupid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.