Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Need help with a diet schedule

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 03:22 AM
Bucknuckle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been off the bike for a yr. I am slowly getting back into it but I think I need some assistance with my diet plan. I am 5'8" 180lbs. I would like to shed some weight. 1 month ago I started eating better but I have hardly lost any weight. Can someone assist me on what to eat and when? I think I may be taking in too much sugar as I eat alot of fruit in a day. My usuall day starts off like this
3:30 am get up
4:00-6:00 am I sip raw organic meal replacement shake made with some almond milk.
8:30 am 1 banana,some blueberries
11:00am another meal replacement shake or a salad ( lettus,grilled chicken,green peppers,hard boiled eggs,black beans,no dressing)
1:30pm some almonds,nectarine or apple
4:00 dinner
7:00 apple or some strawberries

I'm looking for some alternatives that's healthy to eat and will help me she'd some weight, I've been running and biking a little for the last month but do not seem to be loosing any weight.
Old 08-24-16, 03:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Join MyFitnessPal ... (or something similar)
https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Enter your data.
Select sedentary as your activity level.
Select the amount of weight you want to lose each week (eg. 1 lb/week).
MyFitnessPal will give you the number of calories to eat to accomplish that.

MFP does not include exercise, so when you exercise, you'll log that and then eat about 50-75% of those calories back too.

Regarding how much you burn while cycling, if you go with approx. 100 cal for every 5 km (or 33 cal/mile) that'll give you a good rough estimate. I have found that logging my cycling on MFP as "Bicycling, 16-19 kph, light (cycling, biking, bike riding)" works out about the same as 100 cal for every 5 km.

Stick to this like glue for a couple months, and then reassess where you are and what you want to do next.

This is the Weight Loss thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...s-club-83.html ... I've linked to Page 83 where I started talking about my weight loss process. In 2015, I lost 25 kg/55 lbs. And I did it by doing exactly what I advised above.

What you eat and how often is up to you.

Personally, I made just a few modifications to my usual diet. In fact, what I eat between the time I get up and the time I arrive home after work (about 6 pm) is almost identical pre and post diet. The only thing I dropped was a handful of cashews ... too many calories, not enough staying power. After 6 pm, I made a few changes, but nothing too drastic.

I could tell you what I eat, and will if you really want to know, but what I advise is to go to your local grocery store, walk the aisle and have a really good look at what your options are. I did that when I first started the diet and was able to find lots of good choices that work for me. Even now I check out new things on the shelves to see if they're worth it or not.

As I said above, have a look in that Weight Loss thread to see my "blogs" about the process.
Old 08-24-16, 05:06 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 762 Posts
Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook.

Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook-5th Edition - Nancy Clark
Old 08-25-16, 01:02 PM
Bucknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

Enter your data.

MFP does not include exercise, so when you exercise, you'll log that and then eat about 50-75% of those calories back too.

Regarding how much you burn while cycling, if you go with approx. 100 cal for every 5 km (or 33 cal/mile) that'll give you a good rough estimate. I have found that logging my cycling on MFP as "Bicycling, 16-19 kph, light (cycling, biking, bike riding)" works out about the same as 100 cal for every 5 km.

Stick to this like glue for a couple months, and then reassess where you are and what you want to do next.

This is the Weight Loss thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...s-club-83.html ... I've linked to Page 83 where I started talking about my weight loss process. In 2015, I lost 25 kg/55 lbs. And I did it by doing exactly what I advised above.

Personally, I made just a few modifications to my usual diet. In fact, what I eat between the time I get up and the time I arrive home after work (about 6 pm) is almost identical pre and post diet. The only thing I dropped was a handful of cashews ... too many calories, not enough staying power. After 6 pm, I made a few changes, but nothing too drastic.

I could tell you what I eat, and will if you really want to know, but what I advise is to go to your local grocery store, walk the aisle and have a really good look at what your options are. I did that when I first started the diet and was able to find lots of good choices that work for me. Even now I check out new things on the shelves to see if they're worth it or not.

As I said above, have a look in that Weight Loss thread to see my "blogs" about the process.
Thank you very much for that app. I downloaded it and it's amazing. I hope it works. I love how you can see where your at for the day as far as nutrition. Thanks again
Old 08-25-16, 01:09 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucknuckle
3:30 am get up
4:00-6:00 am I sip raw organic meal replacement shake made with some almond milk.
8:30 am 1 banana,some blueberries
11:00am another meal replacement shake or a salad ( lettus,grilled chicken,green peppers,hard boiled eggs,black beans,no dressing)
1:30pm some almonds,nectarine or apple
4:00 dinner
7:00 apple or some strawberries
Youre not losing because youre not eating!! Those shakes are full of sugar too! You have no veggies or variety!

What about pancakes? Omelet? Eggs? Cereal? Breakfast burrito? Yogurt?
What about a sandwhich, soup, salad, chicken for lunch?

MyFitnessPal is what i use but its going to tell you youre not eating enough or the right things.
Old 08-25-16, 01:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
What a Majority of Adults Who Have Successfully Maintained Their Weight Loss Do

According to the National Weight Control Registry, of adults who have successfully maintained their weight loss:
  • 98% have modified their eating habits.
  • 94% have increased their level of physical activity, especially walking.
  • 90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.
  • 78% eat a healthy breakfast every day.
  • 75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
  • 62% watch less than 10 hours of television per week.
More facts and figures here: Research Findings
Old 08-25-16, 06:08 PM
Bucknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Jean3n16;19010703]Youre not losing because youre not eating!! Those shakes are full of sugar too! You have no veggies or variety!

There's only 1 gram of sugar per serving.
I have added more veggies to my plan and hopefully will be on track better
Old 08-25-16, 07:00 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's only 1 gram of sugar per serving.
I have added more veggies to my plan and hopefully will be on track better
per serving and youre having how many servings, how many times a day**********?
Old 08-26-16, 05:56 AM
Bucknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean3n16
per serving and youre having how many servings, how many times a day**********?
Sometimes I have 2 or 4 servings. Which is 2-4 grams of sugar I believe.i didn't think that was much . Could I be wrong? This is what I'm drinking for breakfast , sometimes lunch.
https://www.gardenoflife.com/content...utrition-facts
Old 08-26-16, 06:57 AM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I have 2 or 4 servings. Which is 2-4 grams of sugar I believe.i didn't think that was much . Could I be wrong? This is what I'm drinking for breakfast , sometimes lunch.
https://www.gardenoflife.com/content...utrition-facts
Thats a lot and you need real food, not a shake
Old 08-26-16, 07:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 762 Posts
Thank you very much for that app. I downloaded it and it's amazing. I hope it works. I love how you can see where your at for the day as far as nutrition. Thanks again
There's also FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal
Old 08-26-16, 11:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean3n16
Youre not losing because youre not eating!! Those shakes are full of sugar too! You have no veggies or variety!

What about pancakes? Omelet? Eggs? Cereal? Breakfast burrito? Yogurt?
What about a sandwhich, soup, salad, chicken for lunch?

MyFitnessPal is what i use but its going to tell you youre not eating enough or the right things.
You lose weight by taking in fewer calories than you burn. It doesn't matter if they're solid or liquid or red or green or blue. The only thing that matters for weight loss purposes is energy balance.
Old 08-26-16, 12:11 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You lose weight by taking in fewer calories than you burn. It doesn't matter if they're solid or liquid or red or green or blue. The only thing that matters for weight loss purposes is energy balance.
He needs real food either way.
Old 08-26-16, 12:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Try adding more fat to your diet.
Old 08-27-16, 05:56 AM
Bucknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Try adding more fat to your diet.
What kind/type of fat would you recommend? Thank you
Old 08-27-16, 06:54 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
What kind/type of fat would you recommend? Thank you
Anything that's not artificially hydrogenized. Nut butters, meat, eggs, real food.
Old 08-27-16, 07:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3507 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,163 Posts
When I wanted to lose weight, my doctor advised that I aim for losing one pound a week. He said more than that was not good, as I might consume stuff other than only body fat. He estimated my caloric need based on my height and activity level, and suggested that I try to eat 500 calories a day less than I would need to maintain a constant weight - he specifically gave me a target of how many calories to eat each day. He explained that 3,500 calories (or 500 calories a day for a week) is roughly one pound. Worked for me. But, you can't just say, I will forgo the candy bar of 500 calories today, if you do that you will likely then choose to eat another 500 calories later in the day. You really need to watch your caloric intake all day long, every day.

Each day can fluctuate, you do not have to hold to a set number each day. I try to keep my seven day average pretty close to constant but I fluctuate a lot from one day to the next.

And once you get to a weight level you want to maintain, you have to continue watching your calories for the rest of your life so you can match your caloric intake to your caloric demand. That is the hard part.

I find that I eat/burn about 300 to 400 more calories a day in summer when I am outdoors more than I do in winter. Keep in mind that there is a seasonal variation in your activity, just as there is a variation when you go on a vacation.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 08-27-16 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-30-16, 03:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3507 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,163 Posts
I mentioned in the post above that you have to work essentially forever to keep the weight off. I just saw this piece, thought I would share it.
Here?s the real secret to losing weight and staying thin (Hint: You?re not going to like it) - MarketWatch
Old 09-04-16, 07:10 PM
Bucknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, I have been using the App as mentioned above along with cutting out some fruit and eating much more veggies. Looks like I was consuming alot of sugar per day from the fruit. I have been cycling and running and some weight is coming off, I thank you guys for the help.
Old 09-19-16, 02:42 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Enter your data.

myfitnesspal has been telling me for a year that i should weigh 130lbs and i'm still 165 lbs
Old 09-19-16, 11:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
myfitnesspal has been telling me for a year that i should weigh 130lbs and i'm still 165 lbs
Is that where you want to be?
Old 09-20-16, 11:56 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that where you want to be?
No, just need to be 155 lbs by race season. I know the issue is, i lift so i have packed muscles upper body.
Old 09-27-16, 11:39 AM
Anna Becker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditch the meal replacements - eat real food! The only way to stay at your ideal weight and stay healthy is to eat right and exercise. Most are on this forum because they ride bikes, so I'd say that's the exercise part. The eating right part is the problem. You have to eat good quality protein, good fats, and minimal carbs. And almost everything processed, including your meal replacement drinks I'm betting, are full of carbs, most likely processed sugar. Good food examples: Apples with almond butter or eggs for breakfast. Salmon salad on a sprouted wheat muffin for lunch. Fruit is ok, just don't overdo it. Beans are great for protein with a salad or al-dente vegetables. Do some research on a low GI diet (that cuts the carbs), or the pH diet. That one is a great way to stay healthy and lose weight. But any diet is not a solution. It is has to be a lifestyle that you have to commit to living with for the rest of your life. Otherwise you are wasting your time.
Old 09-30-16, 11:11 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Balanced eating means considerable amount of veggies. The trick to enjoying those veggies is buy the freshest ones that can be found, (they're tastier), and use dressings you like. Plain old olive oil and a tiny bit of salt is good but there are many other concoctions. 50 Salad Dressing Recipes : Recipes and Cooking : Food Network