Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin 1000, 820, or Wahoo ELEMNT?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-16, 03:28 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I think I've narrowed it down to these 3. The Garmins have the best mapping features from what I can see. I've also read that the 1000 Bluetooth connectivity can be slow or even broken at times (from DC Rainmaker in 2014), but that was also from a while ago. Has this been updated recently?

I also hear that the 820 has some normal Garmin new product release bugs that it's working out. Has most if not all the features of the 1000 but in a smaller unit.

Wahoo seems to be pretty good all around although lacking the mapping of the Garmin units.

One of the most important features that I need is phone notifications as I'm on call 24/7 and hate having to pull my phone out to see who is calling or texting me only to put it back in my pocket knowing that I can ignore it until later.

The 1000 and 820 are within $20 or each other and the ELEMNT is the least expensive.

Thoughts and opinions are great appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
Old 08-28-16, 04:20 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
No info about GPS units, but I recommend a smart watch for notifications while riding. I'm on call sometimes, too. I have a Pebble Time Steel. I never have to pull my phone out to see my notifications.
Old 08-28-16, 04:33 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I would tell you to get the Edge 810 for $219 https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...armin-edge-810

But if the phone notifications are that important I would get the 1000 (820 & 1000 have the same claimed battery life at 15 hours, 1000 has a larger screen if that suits you, likely to have less bugs since its been out much longer and if it is only $20 difference).
Old 08-28-16, 04:47 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 520 and a 1000. I gave away my ELEMNT because I hated it that much. The 1000's battery life isn't what they claim, it's somewhere around 10 hours. Still a nice computer though. I bought the 520 as a backup but I ended up using it more. Given the choice between those, I'd probably chance it with the 820.
Old 08-28-16, 04:49 PM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by AristoNYC
I would tell you to get the Edge 810 for $219 https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...armin-edge-810

But if the phone notifications are that important I would get the 1000 (820 & 1000 have the same claimed battery life at 15 hours, 1000 has a larger screen if that suits you, likely to have less bugs since its been out much longer and if it is only $20 difference).
Yup I saw that deal as well and if it had phone notifications, i would have bought it already.
Old 08-28-16, 05:42 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC

That claimed battery life for the Edge 1000 is utter BS. Try more like 7-8 hours in real life.
Old 08-28-16, 06:08 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I used to have the 520 but too many problems and I never got the screen notifications to work after several firmware upgrades. I sold it and bought the Elemnt. The notifications work great and the bluetooth pairing is solid which the 520 could not keep.
Old 08-28-16, 06:14 PM
penny_pants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7-8 hours is usually what i end up with for edge 1000. Also the notifications are hit and miss. Sometimes it works perfect sometimes it lags after my phone beeps 2-3 minutes. I don't really have a need for the notifications though, otherwise haven't had any problems with bluetooth syncing rides.
Old 08-28-16, 08:23 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Liked 246 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPoser
I think I've narrowed it down to these 3. The Garmins have the best mapping features from what I can see. I've also read that the 1000 Bluetooth connectivity can be slow or even broken at times (from DC Rainmaker in 2014), but that was also from a while ago. Has this been updated recently?

I also hear that the 820 has some normal Garmin new product release bugs that it's working out. Has most if not all the features of the 1000 but in a smaller unit.

Wahoo seems to be pretty good all around although lacking the mapping of the Garmin units.

One of the most important features that I need is phone notifications as I'm on call 24/7 and hate having to pull my phone out to see who is calling or texting me only to put it back in my pocket knowing that I can ignore it until later.

The 1000 and 820 are within $20 or each other and the ELEMNT is the least expensive.

Thoughts and opinions are great appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
As far as bike computers go, I'd be really inclined to go with the Wahoo Elemnt and I'm looking for an excuse to do so. I have a Garmin Edge 1000 and while it works, it's still require a lot of fooling around to get it set up like you want it to. Yes, it does mapping, but in reality - if I get off my track and lost, I pull out the smartphone and look at google maps there. The phone display is better and the mapping capability is way better. The only thing my Edge 1000 does that keeps me using it is the Varia rear looking radar display integration.

Originally Posted by memebag
No info about GPS units, but I recommend a smart watch for notifications while riding. I'm on call sometimes, too. I have a Pebble Time Steel. I never have to pull my phone out to see my notifications.
^^This. I do this and it works well (I have an Apple Watch). I've never been able to get the notifications and bluetooth capability to work well between my iPhone and Garmin unit to the point where I'd trust it for notifications that I absolutely had to get.

J.
Old 08-28-16, 08:31 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
As far as bike computers go, I'd be really inclined to go with the Wahoo Elemnt and I'm looking for an excuse to do so. I have a Garmin Edge 1000 and while it works, it's still require a lot of fooling around to get it set up like you want it to. Yes, it does mapping, but in reality - if I get off my track and lost, I pull out the smartphone and look at google maps there. The phone display is better and the mapping capability is way better. The only thing my Edge 1000 does that keeps me using it is the Varia rear looking radar display integration.

^^This. I do this and it works well (I have an Apple Watch). I've never been able to get the notifications and bluetooth capability to work well between my iPhone and Garmin unit to the point where I'd trust it for notifications that I absolutely had to get.

J.
What gives pause is that...well...Wahoo and their Rflkt and Elemnt units variably seem to work or not work just as badly as Garmins. And Wahoo seemed to just abandon the rflkt.
Old 08-28-16, 08:56 PM
BigPoser

This is certainly a tough choice for me. I just found a 520 from Evans Cycles for $199. With that price, do I really need mapping that is on the 820 or 1000?
Old 08-28-16, 09:11 PM
BilbroSwaggins

Bikes: Scott Addict Cross/ Ritchey Road Logic/ Niner Air 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you ever plan on using a power meter then dont choose the Wahoo.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...EAM0%5B1-25%5D
Old 08-28-16, 09:14 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll no longer go with a bike computer with a touch screen. It's just not appropriate for the application. I've had a drop of sweat prevent touches from registering, and don't even think about trying to wipe the screen off. I'm done with fighting the thing, so I'm selling it and picking up either a Wahoo or Lezyne.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 08-28-16, 09:29 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love the 1000. I also get approx 7-8 hours battery life. I've used the navigation occasionally. Love the phone alerts.
Old 08-29-16, 08:57 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Liked 246 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
What gives pause is that...well...Wahoo and their Rflkt and Elemnt units variably seem to work or not work just as badly as Garmins. And Wahoo seemed to just abandon the rflkt.
I have had a great experience with both Wahoo (multiple products) and with the RFLKT+. In my experience, they exceed Garmin's customer service (who know little about the product and don't seem to even read the manuals). So I would rank Wahoo considerably higher in both operation and service than Garmin.

J.
Old 08-29-16, 09:10 AM
rockrabbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wahoo ELEMNT all the way.

No touch screen issues as its button function only.

High contrast display, so no issues win sunlight or with polarised sunglasses.

You can call the font size to huge or small depending on your preference.

The ELEMNT just keeps getting better and better with every firmware update.

I could not be happier with my purchase!
Old 08-29-16, 10:21 AM
azgdds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've enjoyed my Elemnt. It was my first and only computer, so I don't have much to compare it with, but I like the features, and the updates have been adding functionality, like Strava Segments. The resolution is low, but, for what it is, it works. I don't believe it is necessary to be more resolute, maybe color would have been nice, but unless you get to the size of a phone you cannot really use it for good mapping. Where it shines is navigating you on pre-mapped routes, mapping and taking data from your rides, and acting as a remote display for you phone if you need to be in contact.
Old 08-29-16, 12:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
I'll no longer go with a bike computer with a touch screen. It's just not appropriate for the application. I've had a drop of sweat prevent touches from registering, and don't even think about trying to wipe the screen off. I'm done with fighting the thing, so I'm selling it and picking up either a Wahoo or Lezyne.
How about using an out front mount. Mounts the unit in front of the bar. You don't drip sweat on it and it's easier to read.

I bought a bunch of these, they are rock solid and cheap

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Edge-M...bike+GPS+mount
Old 08-29-16, 03:21 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
How about using an out front mount. Mounts the unit in front of the bar. You don't drip sweat on it and it's easier to read.
I have one on each bike. It's better than having it on the bars, but all the other touchscreen problems remain. I even lost a 3 hr ride because I leaned down to pet a dog, and my jersey touched the screen and somehow deleted the ride.

For me, a touchscreen just doesn't belong on a bike computer.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 08-29-16, 05:33 PM
BigPoser

Well I nutted up and ordered a 1000 from Evans Cycles. Got a killer price on it and I figured that if I was going to upgrade, that I should go all in. Can't wait to get it.
Old 08-29-16, 05:45 PM
Larry77

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Focus Izalco, Focus Mares CX, BMC GF02, Giant VT3 MTB (upgraded), Felt Brougham SS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have both the 520 and the 820, I haven't had many issues with the text and call notifications with my iPhone (a couple here and there but once I restart the Garmin it syncs up. I bought the 820 for the mapping that I was never happy with on the 520. My wife now happily uses the 520 as a great hand-me-down.
Old 08-29-16, 07:16 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I nutted up and ordered a 1000 from Evans Cycles. Got a killer price on it and I figured that if I was going to upgrade, that I should go all in. Can't wait to get it.
That's the spirt!
Old 08-30-16, 08:57 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'd go with an 820 out of these choices. The 1000 is due for an upgrade. And I've heard about too many problems with the Wahoo.
Old 08-30-16, 09:28 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good decision, imo. I've had mine since August 2014. It was buggy at the very beginning, but after a couple of code revisions, it has been solid for me for a long time now. It does so much stuff without breaking a sweat. I've used it on 14 hour rides with a charging stop.

Check out the Varia rear radar deal as well. Integrates really well with the 1000. I don't like to ride without it anymore.
Old 08-30-16, 01:33 PM
yellow130

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am glad you are happy with the Garmin, my response is for the next person who has the same question...

I purchased a Wahoo Elemnt back in May/June. it has been solid this whole time, save for one update cycle - which wahoo acknowledged, and fixed within days. the response really was that fast.

i'm also a basic user - speed, cadence, and HRM. no power meter (or advanced problems) for me.

prior to getting the wahoo, i tried a Garmin 520 for a week (thanks REI!), and just wasn't happy with the amount of button presses needed in order to customize a display screen. so back it went.

as with both units, you'll need to have the companion app installed and running on your phone while riding.

the shining feature of the wahoo is that you use the iphone / android app to customize display screens, and changes are immediately applied. just... don't forget your phone at home, as you can't change anything, plus you lose live tracking and obviously phone notifications.

i like the TBT directions (currently only via RWGPS), i haven't tried Strava live segments yet. The screen is readable in almost every situation I've encountered, plus the back light is very good.

The font can be increased / decreased according to how much data you want to display on one screen. I limit the data to 4 fields, as I really only want to know Speed, Distance, Cadence, time, and map. My HR zone is displayed via the LEDs along the side, which saves screen real estate.

Annoying point - Route uploads on the device are done via WIFI. I haven't quite figured out how to add a friend's route when i'm away from home, and decide to go with a different route than planned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.