Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

FSA's new Wireless Electronic Groupset

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 12:58 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by link0; 08-30-16 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 02:11 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Can anyone find what the weight will be for the two levers with batteries, two derailleurs, wires, and battery. The other groupset part weights are listed on the FSA promotional site, but not the drivetrain.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-30-16, 02:17 PM
Samuraidog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interesting...
Old 08-30-16, 02:59 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Interesting. I like the idea of wired front/rear combination. Seems like it simplifies the battery issues and still makes for a clean setup.
Old 08-30-16, 03:25 PM
link0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
i like the idea of wired front/rear combination. Seems like it simplifies the battery issues and still makes for a clean setup.
+1 It's a simple and elegant solution.
Old 08-30-16, 03:44 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Sorry, but IMO the SRAM approach is far simpler and far more elegant. The wires are just passe.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-30-16, 05:39 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Sorry, but IMO the SRAM approach is far simpler and far more elegant. The wires are just passe.
Agreed. While there are some good features, there appears to be a lot of effort spent around patent issues more so than real improvements.
Old 08-30-16, 06:40 PM
goplutus

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone find what the weight will be for the two levers with batteries, two derailleurs, wires, and battery. The other groupset part weights are listed on the FSA promotional site, but not the drivetrain.
"FSA states that the complete weight of WE at 2,090g, that’s 120g heavier than eTap and 45g heavier than Dura-Ace Di2"

FSA's new wireless electronic drivetrain: the K-Force WE - BikeRadar
Old 08-30-16, 06:57 PM
link0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although I love eTap, I think FSA's approach makes a lot of sense. Combining the FD and RD reduces the number of batteries and transmitter/receivers by 1, at the cost one a short and direct wire btw the FD and RD.

I definitely think eTap's shifter button solution is much cleaner though. Less is more.

For what little it's worth, I am an electrical engineer.
Old 08-30-16, 07:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
More vaporware or actually available?
Old 08-30-16, 08:25 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 2,242 Times in 1,505 Posts
In LBS's next Spring
Old 08-30-16, 08:31 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by goplutus
"FSA states that the complete weight of WE at 2,090g, that’s 120g heavier than eTap and 45g heavier than Dura-Ace Di2"

FSA's new wireless electronic drivetrain: the K-Force WE - BikeRadar
Yes, for the whole group. But what do derailleurs, batteries and levers weigh.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-30-16, 08:33 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by link0
Although I love eTap, I think FSA's approach makes a lot of sense. Combining the FD and RD reduces the number of batteries and transmitter/receivers by 1, at the cost one a short and direct wire btw the FD and RD.

I definitely think eTap's shifter button solution is much cleaner though. Less is more.

For what little it's worth, I am an electrical engineer.
But having two deraileur batteries constitutes an easily exchangeable spare for the first battery to die. That is a great benefit, not a burden.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 08-31-16 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 08:15 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
eTap has the edge in my mind, not the least of which is due to the fact that it can be installed on pretty much any road bike frame, without the need for running internal battery and connection wires.

Comparing to Di2, if you have to run wires anyway, I don't see the running them from the shifters as being a massive extra burden, and Di2 has the advantage of being from Shimano, a known quantity.

So what's their edge here? I can only assume based on other FSA products, it's going to be price. The rocker switches are neat I guess.
Old 08-31-16, 08:51 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
eTap wins hands down here.

I'm glad FSA has a full group now. Even if the rear DR is plastic...
Old 08-31-16, 10:08 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
ill have nightmares about that crank
Old 08-31-16, 10:45 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Da Reef
Agreed. While there are some good features, there appears to be a lot of effort spent around patent issues more so than real improvements.
Because patents are a real problem. It is why ROTOR resorted to hydraulic shifting...because all the way of pulling a cable and the design of parallelogram ders are patented...which is really really funny, when you consider that ALL those patents are owned by foreign owned companies with offshored/outsourced production.

AKA a USA based company wanting to make things in the USA cannot...because foreign owned corporations with foreign production have the legal monopoly.
Old 08-31-16, 11:01 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Because patents are a real problem. It is why ROTOR resorted to hydraulic shifting...because all the way of pulling a cable and the design of parallelogram ders are patented...which is really really funny, when you consider that ALL those patents are owned by foreign owned companies with offshored/outsourced production.

AKA a USA based company wanting to make things in the USA cannot...because foreign owned corporations with foreign production have the legal monopoly.
I'm not sure where FSA is from, are they American? Their products are made in Taiwan.

EDIT: it would appear that they are Taiwanese:

https://tmdb.eu/trademark/010372241/...ll-speed-ahead

Last edited by dr_lha; 08-31-16 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 11:14 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I'm not sure where FSA is from, are they American? Their products are made in Taiwan.
I was citing ROTOR which is American and legally left out in the cold via foreign-owned legally-sanctioned monopoly (by Shimano/Capmpag)....but the same idea applies to FSA. They have to engineer inelegant means to accomplish the same feat, because the good straightforward ways are patented already.
Old 08-31-16, 11:15 AM
dr_lha

I was citing ROTOR which is American and legally left out in the cold via foreign-owned legally-sanctioned monopoly (by Shimano/Capmpag)....but the same idea applies to FSA. They have to engineer inelegant means to accomplish the same feat, because the good straightforward ways are patented already.
ROTOR are Spanish.
Old 08-31-16, 11:28 AM
link0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SRAM is a real US company (based in Chicago), ROTOR is not. SRAM uses parallelogram derailleurs...
Old 08-31-16, 11:29 AM
link0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
eTap has the edge in my mind, not the least of which is due to the fact that it can be installed on pretty much any road bike frame, without the need for running internal battery and connection wires.

Comparing to Di2, if you have to run wires anyway, I don't see the running them from the shifters as being a massive extra burden, and Di2 has the advantage of being from Shimano, a known quantity.

So what's their edge here? I can only assume based on other FSA products, it's going to be price. The rocker switches are neat I guess.
I'm quite sure that the FSA groupset will be cheaper than the eTap, as it's a simpler system.
Old 08-31-16, 11:31 AM
link0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But having two deraileur batteries constitutes an easily exchangeable spare for the first battery to die. That is a great benefit, not a burden.
I agree that eTap is better, of course, with money no object. But FSA's simpler system should make their groupset a less expensive alternative.
Old 08-31-16, 11:37 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by link0
I'm quite sure that the FSA groupset will be cheaper than the eTap, as it's a simpler system.
I think it'll need to be cheaper than Shimano's Ultegra Di2 to be competitive, honestly.

Does anyone actually go out of their way to buy FSA components? I always thought of them as the cheap part on a stock bike. I suppose if they get their OEM prices low enough, we might see some bikes with full FSA groupsets on them in bike shops soon.
Old 08-31-16, 03:51 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Other than their SL-K Light crankset, I have yet to see anything from FSA that's top notch quality; and I don't see their WE groupset changing that.

This thing is a mess: 2 type of batteries you have to worry about (2xCR2032 for the shifters and internal battery for the FR), wire between the FD and RD, non-intuitive rocker shifters (to get around patents), no weight reduction over existing systems (Di2 or eTap), etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.