Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Swapping from Shimano wheelset to Campagnolo... a little help, please.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 04:33 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I'm new here. I searched and while I found some similar questions, they were different because of switching from/to 9/10/11 speed, etc. So, I am wanting to swap the wheelset out on my bike. It's a Navaro Strada. Has 105 gear. My bike also came with bottom of the barrel Shimano WH-R500 wheels. Shimano Road Sport WH-R500 Wheelset Review

So, the Campy wheelset should shed about a full pound off of my bike. I'm not chasing down ever lower weight on my bike, as I can (and in process of) drop a lot more weight, for a lot less money, from the rider! Anyway, I came upon some Campagnolo Eurus wheels with new Campy Record 10 spd cassette. My question is in regard to how compatible these parts are? What all will need to be changed out to run said wheels and cassette with my current Shimano 105 gear? Will it run as a direct swap? Will I need to run a Campagnolo chain? Then, would I also need to swap my front ring gears to Campagnolo rings? Will the shift pattern of the Shimano 105 derailleur line up with the spacing of the Record cassette? Sorry for all the newb questions! Just trying to understand to complexity of the swap that I want to make. Adversely, I assume that a cassette could be bought with Campagnolo splines and Shimano gears/spacing, etc.

Thanks for any & all help!

Nik

Last edited by nikwho; 08-27-16 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 04:49 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
For 10 speed rear, change cassette, rear derailleur and shifters
Old 08-27-16, 05:54 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, chain and front detailer won't matter? Would it be best to run a Campagnolo chain w/ Shimano front rings & derailleur or run a Shimano chain on the Campagnolo rear cassette & derailleur? Or, is a 10 speed chain a 10 speed chain & it not really matter?

And, I'll be going from 10 speed Shimano to 10 speed Campagnolo. Is the gear spacing that far off that it won't shift properly? Would a fella who's fairly mechanically inclined be able to dissassemble the Campagnolo Record rear cassette and change the spacing out to a more Shimano friendly spacing?

Last edited by nikwho; 08-27-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 06:07 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That being said, I have access to a lathe and could make any/all custom spacers myself. Am I over thinking this? I'm not trying to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Just thinking that removing a solid pound of rotating weight will make tremendous improvements to my bike! Plus, I'm a tinkerer! I like projects like this. Shimano junk wheels = 1884g + weight of rim bands (however marginal). Campagnolo Eurus wheels = 1442g and no rim bands. That is roughly 450g less rotating weight. Basically a pound. Seemed worth a little effort.
Old 08-27-16, 07:58 PM
darkhorse75

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Campagnolo wheels come with either campy or shimano freehub bodies. Just specify a shimano body if your buying them new and swap the cassette over. If the wheels are second hand you can buy the shimano freehub for around $40-50 and swap it out.

Last edited by darkhorse75; 08-27-16 at 08:00 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-27-16, 09:25 PM
trailangel

Shimano freehub on a campy hub.... for shame.
Old 08-27-16, 09:39 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, that's certainly easy enough! They are second hand, with a new Campy Record free hub mounted. Guess this will be much easier than I thought! Thank you for that bit of info!

So if I were to start shopping for a Shimano freehub that would fit the Campy wheel, where might you steer me to look to find one in the $40-50 range? I've been googling and searching with little success.

I really appreciate the help, guys!

Nik
Old 08-27-16, 09:44 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently perusing some good info here:
Info about Campagnolo wheels - Info on Campagnolo wheels Campagnolo
Old 08-27-16, 09:59 PM
trailangel

Not $40-50.. but I love shopping for other people
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=2715
Old 08-28-16, 12:35 AM
darkhorse75

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
NEW 2014 Campagnolo FH BUU015X Freewheel Body ONE Piece 9 10SPD | eBay. $50 + post as long as you don't want to go 11 speed at some stage.
Old 08-28-16, 05:19 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 942 Times in 622 Posts
I think one of the "Shiftmate" units will make your Shimano drivetrain work with a Campy cassette.

Or buy Shimano compatible wheels to match the rest of your drivetrain.

Not sure if Shimano spacers would work with a Campy cassette. I guess if the cog thicknesses match it would.....

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-29-16, 08:32 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I think one of the "Shiftmate" units will make your Shimano drivetrain work with a Campy cassette.

Or buy Shimano compatible wheels to match the rest of your drivetrain.

Not sure if Shimano spacers would work with a Campy cassette. I guess if the cog thicknesses match it would.....
Huh, that's an interesting product! Do you have any experience with them?

Jtek ShiftMate Gear Shifting Adapter for Shimano Campagnolo and SRAM components
Old 08-29-16, 08:37 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 942 Times in 622 Posts
Originally Posted by nikwho

Jtek ShiftMate Gear Shifting Adapter for Shimano Campagnolo and SRAM components
No personal experience, but heard good things on various Bike Forums posts over the years.
I think there are a couple different models depending on what components you have.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-29-16, 11:58 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, seems like a cool little gadget. I read great reviews on them and based on their chart, I can run my 10 spd. Shimano 105 shifter and derailleur with the Campagnolo Eurus wheelset and Record cassette with no issues! So, I ordered the Jtek Shiftmate Model 1 from SJS Cycles in G.B. Almost seems too easy, but I read many really good reviews and no bad reviews. So, I'm gonna give this a go and see how it turns out! I'll pick up the wheelset this coming weekend and who knows how long the Shiftmate will take to get here from the UK. I'm anxious to see if such a simple fix will make it all work. Thank you to everyone that has helped!

Nik
Old 08-30-16, 01:55 AM
dabac

Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts

I've used a Shiftmate to run Campy 9s shifters on Shimano derailer and cassette.
Only issue was that the Shiftmate does use up some cable, so installation took a little more than average care.

Once in place it worked flawlessly.

I expect - like the Travel Agents for brakes - that it might make the bike a little more sensitive to contamination. But it hasn't been a proven problem yet.
Old 08-30-16, 06:44 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Shimano freehub on a campy hub.... for shame.
Dio , l' umanità!
Old 09-01-16, 12:17 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Dio , l' umanità!
Okay, I'm a hot rod "guy"/builder, so if you're telling me that this is blasphemous on a level comparable with putting a Ford engine in a Chevy, I may just have to change out my entire setup with Campagnolo gear!
Old 09-01-16, 12:48 PM
KenshiBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I'm a hot rod "guy"/builder, so if you're telling me that this is blasphemous on a level comparable with putting a Ford engine in a Chevy, I may just have to change out my entire setup with Campagnolo gear!

More like dropping the motor from a Toyota Celica into a "32 deuce coupe" .
Old 09-01-16, 12:57 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL.... Oh my! So, I'll be "that guy" with my clever little Shiftmate device!
Old 09-05-16, 01:44 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I have ordered my Jtek Shiftmate model 1 and it is currently enroute from the UK via Royal Mail. I have purchased my Campagnolo Eurus wheelset and installed them on my bike. I was very surprised to find that my 105 rear derailleur shifted well up and down across all ten gears nicely! This makes me nervous more than happy! Makes me think that it may not work as well with the shiftmate. I was very surprise that it shifts just as well between all of the gears as it does with the Shimano wheel/cassette. With all of the talk about how these two brands are so incompatible, I'm wondering why this works?
Old 09-05-16, 03:39 PM
headasunder

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
[QUOTE=nikwho;19034232 With all of the talk about how these two brands are so incompatible, I'm wondering why this works?[/QUOTE]

Relevant details half way down the post under the heading "chains and cassettes" Mixing groupsets: what works together and what doesn?t | CyclingTips
Old 09-07-16, 04:05 PM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good info. Thanks much!
Old 09-07-16, 06:45 PM
Camilo

Liked 1,290 Times in 822 Posts
Well, I have ordered my Jtek Shiftmate model 1 and it is currently enroute from the UK via Royal Mail. I have purchased my Campagnolo Eurus wheelset and installed them on my bike. I was very surprised to find that my 105 rear derailleur shifted well up and down across all ten gears nicely! This makes me nervous more than happy! Makes me think that it may not work as well with the shiftmate. I was very surprise that it shifts just as well between all of the gears as it does with the Shimano wheel/cassette. With all of the talk about how these two brands are so incompatible, I'm wondering why this works?
I have Campy indexed 8 speed shifters and 8 speed RD. I happened to have a Shimano-compatable rear wheel (Velocity hub). I ordered the proper Shiftmate. When I built up the bike a while later, I forgot to use the Shiftmate, but was surprised that the Campy shifters and RD indexed perfectly with the Shimano 8 speed cassette. So, I never put on the Shiftmate

I can't answer your question ("Why?") though. Like most compatibility things, it's always best to see if it just works, often it does contrary to conventional wisdom. If your bike shifts well, why would you put on the shiftmate?
Old 09-08-16, 08:14 AM
nikwho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's very interesting! Well, the Shiftmate, along with all new cables and housings, is set to be delivered tomorrow. I will probably install it and see if it makes an improvement or not before deciding if it will be used. I may also buy and install a Campy chain. My thinking is that I shift far more frequently in the back than front, so the Campy chain may work a bit better.

Nik
Old 09-08-16, 09:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
<C> used to make a Driver for their hubs , in Steel, that would use Shimano cassettes.

I forget how many added 'Speeds' redesigns ago it was ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.