Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Salsa Vaya or Jamis Renegade

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 11:36 PM
Triaxtremec

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Salsa Vaya or Jamis Renegade

New bike time and I'm having a hard time between these two bikes. I know many people own and love their Salsa bikes and rarely here anyone talk about Jamis. The Jamis is the Explat model at $1199 which seems to be better all around for $200 less than the Salsa. Overall I'm looking for an adventure style do it all bike that I can go anywhere with. Hopefully throw some bags on it and do some touring and camping with. Opinions?
Old 09-04-16, 12:27 AM
Pendergast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This choice seems to me to come down to what your priorities are. I think the Renegade Expat would be the better bike without bags on it and the Vaya would be the better bike with bags on it. If it were me I'd probably make my decision based on how much I intended to tour with it.
Old 09-04-16, 02:48 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I looked over the specifications on both bikes and noted the chromoly steel of the salsa.

I have had a more than one chromoly bike and In the past they out rode everything. IMO aluminum bikes have gotten so much better I now prefer the feel of my more modern configured aluminum bike. My Do It all bike should be considered before you purchase. The Trek Crossrip.

Got my Rip 3 for $1889 plus tax, the better 105 gear system and the very good Hydro brakes of the Rip 3 made spending the extra dollars well worth the longer wait. I had to hold out and save for an extra very long four months to step up to these components and I am very glad I did.....

I can fit I believe 1.8" wide tires,,47c I think It Is,, with fenders 42c can mount bags and,,fenders, check out the blender system. The Handling Is really something. Plus you should be able to find a Trek dealer locally...

Last edited by osco53; 09-04-16 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-04-16, 06:21 PM
Photok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2016 Jamis Expat and love it. Bought it in May and I use it for fitness and recreation. I've never put racks and bags on it besides the saddle bag so I can't speak to that. I do know someone who has a Vaya and uses it as a commuter and to haul groceries, he bought it specifically because of how it handles loaded down. The dealer I bought my Expat from says she liked the Jamis better than the Salsa Vaya she owns because it was zippier, which is what I liked about it when I test road it. Take that with a grain of salt though, she could of just been trying to sell me the Expat she had in stock, ha! Also, I was hesitant to buy a Tiagra bike over a 105, but the new Tiagra felt just as nice as the 105 bikes I test rode.
Old 09-06-16, 07:45 AM
CoMotionRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Vaya, great bike and handles well, my only complaint is the weight. I am not sure what the Jamis weighs in at. When I bought my Vaya the gravel bikes were not out and if buying today, I would probably get a gravel bike, they weigh in about 5 lbs less. The Vaya is nice that you can use it a a full blown touring bike if you want, use it on trails, or on the road.
Old 09-07-16, 12:27 PM
Pistard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jamis is really underated here on BF
Old 09-07-16, 12:32 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I own a Salsa but my wife rides a Jamis. If the Jamis is the better bike and costs less, than go with the Jamis.