Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone regret switching to Speedplay pedals?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone regret switching to Speedplay pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-16, 05:55 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 769 Posts
Speedplay Zeros. Switched to them about 12 yrs. ago. In that time I had the first pair about 10 yrs. and am now on my second set. Love them.
Old 08-07-16, 09:29 AM
Samuraidog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If you're looking to talk yourself out of something, asking for feedback only from those with regrets is a sure way to do it. No regrets here, though. Going back to SPD-SL certainly wouldn't be the end of the world, but I prefer Speedplays.

You have the second-hand experience of a huge sample size of two and no first-hand experience and you've determined that they're a cult thing? Kudos.
You are right. It's like I'm trying to talk myself out of spending the money, but I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and get the speedplays.
Old 08-08-16, 10:04 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I've been using speedplay since about 1998 - I have serious knee issues and struggled with Look, Time etc (not SPD-SL, too long ago) but once I got used to the pedaling on an ice-cube feel of the X series pedals, that was it.

Different strokes for different folks, obviously but 18 years later I'm still using speedplay pedals (light action) and quite happy with them. I also find them easier to clip INTO than all the mooks at the stoplight trying to flip their shimano pedals around so they can clip in, but maybe they're just uncoordinated.

But seriously, the float is the reason to switch, not the spindle length - you can buy adaptors to lengthen your spindles for any pedal system.
Can you point me to the adaptors to change spindle length? I've not been able to find any other than speedplay with the range and in small enough increments to be useful.
Old 08-08-16, 10:14 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Can you point me to the adaptors to change spindle length? I've not been able to find any other than speedplay with the range and in small enough increments to be useful.
Here's one option: Kneesavers, Randy Ice, bicycle pedal extenders, mountain bikes, custom bike pedals, Pedal Adapters
Old 08-08-16, 11:17 AM
JohnJ80

Yes, I know about those. They start at 20mm whereas Speedplay choices are -2mm, +1-2mm (washers on any length), +4mm, +6mm if I recall correctly. Basically, it's washers of 1 or 2mm that can be omitted or combined with spindle lengths of 53mm, 55mm, 59mm and 65mm. The Speedplay cleat has about considerable adjustability side to side of 9mm (if memory serves) which basically allows for pretty much continuous coverage of that whole range plus/minus the range on the cleat at both extremes.

The problem with the kneesavers is that they are just a huge gross adjustment of about twice the range. It's a "more than all" or nothing proposition. I'm sure they work for some, but in general, a solution with better resolution is needed.

I suffer from a foot problem that really benefits from a 53mm spindle (nominal speedplay road) on the drive side and a 59mm spindle on the non drive side. I had been using an even longer spindle and it caused a piriformis syndrome problem on the right. When I was experimenting with Q factor, I bought some of the knee savers and it's just a super gross adjustment and it's way far out there. After 10 miles on them, I practically couldn't walk after what it did to my hip when I got off the bike. When you fiddle with Q factor, you need to have adjustability in smaller increments than what the Kneesavers offer.

So I think you're confirming what I've seen is that there is essentially the 1-2mm washers or kneesavers (20mm) unless you go with Speedplay Zeros and select spindle length.

J.
Old 08-08-16, 12:17 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Speedplay Zero stainless are available for $132.20.

Speedplay Zero Stainless Pedals Black - Pedals - Ribble Cycles
^^ That's a good price there for stainless!

Or get the CHROMO $96

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/speedp...ack-speedplay/

Then change the spindle length for $39.

J L Titanium TI Pedal Spindles Axle Fit Speedplay Zero x1 2 5 Ultra Light Action | eBay
Old 08-08-16, 12:33 PM
American Euchre

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got the zero's because I need the float for my knees. They are also very lightweight, and have some cool design features such as double sided entry, a very low profile, low weight, and are a little bit unique vs the ubiquitous spd's.

It took me a while to get used to the float. Not only is there a massive amount of float (range is adjustable), but it feels "slippery" meaning there is very little resistance to heel movement laterally.

Some of the less than positive aspects of zero's include a less than intuitive clip in. After months and months of riding, clipping in is still not intuitive. With looks, step in is self evident, even to the novice. You do it once, and it's burned into muscle memory: step in with the toe, press down at the back of the cleat. You're in. The triangular cleat is like a guiding arrow.

With the zero's empty circle cleat, there is no self evident "point" to aim. You step in, press down and hope you can clip in at the correct angle, whatever it is. I don't always manage to clip in on my first attempt, and that's a little disconcerting and frustrating.

Sprinting/standing and stomping is not always confidence inspiring given the amount of float also.

Zero's are great if you've had knee issues in the past and want to log lots of spinning miles. They're not the most intuitive for clipping in, or standing+stomping.

I like the pedals but they're really designed for people with knee issues first and foremost.
Old 08-08-16, 12:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
^^^ Huh. I can't say that I recall too many people echoing your sentiment that Speedplays are less intuitive to clip in to vs Look-type cleats/pedals.
Old 08-08-16, 12:53 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'm not sure if Zeros are different, my only experience is with light action and the X series but not having a point to aim at is not a problem (for me) because I'm not looking at my pedal anyway. It doesn't matter what orientation the pedal is, just step and go. I occasionally miss and hit the pedal with the middle of my shoe or something but it's very infrequent. (did it yesterday in the middle of an intersection ... first time all year!)

The amount of float and the freeness of the float are definitely things that require an adjustment period.
Old 08-08-16, 12:58 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
During the TDF I noticed that Mark Cavindish rides Speedplay, which surprised me because I don't think of Speedplays when I think of sprinters. I doubt he has knee issue, and he's obviously one who pedals about as hard as anyone in the world so doesn't seem that unclipping can be much of an issue (not sure which model he rides though).

I've only ridden Speedplays so have no idea about other pedals but you don't really clip into Speedplays, you just put your foot down and ride, they pretty much automagically clip after a stroke or two.
Old 08-08-16, 03:59 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by pvillemasher
During the TDF I noticed that Mark Cavindish rides Speedplay, which surprised me because I don't think of Speedplays when I think of sprinters. I doubt he has knee issue, and he's obviously one who pedals about as hard as anyone in the world so doesn't seem that unclipping can be much of an issue (not sure which model he rides though).
His entire Dimensiondata team uses Speedplay do I imagine he's required to go along. He probably doesn't care enough about them.
Old 08-08-16, 04:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4795 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE

Or get the CHROMO $96

Speedplay Zero Cro-mo Pedals Black - Pedals - Ribble Cycles

J L Titanium TI Pedal Spindles Axle Fit Speedplay Zero x1 2 5 Ultra Light Action | eBay
Those look like a great option. I was thinking about switching my standard steel spindles on my X2s for the next longer (+3mm length) spindle, but the SP pricing seems quite high. Does anyone aftermarket make Stainless steel spindles in length options? My concern with Ti, and maybe it's just Speedplay liability over-concern, is that the their standard length Ti is only rated for a 185lb rider (and I'm 185 exactly).. going longer than stock and on Ti gives me a bit of cause for concern (combined with after-market questions)... thoughts?

On an unrelated note.. when is the SP patent expiration so that anyone can freely enter this market? I read I think that the patent was filed in 2002.

On a related note.. does anyone know any of the online (overseas) vendors selling SP Zero options at relatively similar prices to the Ribble quoted above, but with different spindle-length options?
Old 08-09-16, 07:31 AM
CrankyNeck

Bikes: Trek 2300

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Been using Speedplays for something like 20 years. I love them and would absolutely not ride another pedal. My knees are bad and the float they provide is great. As far as I'm concerned they are the best road pedal on the market.
Old 08-09-16, 08:30 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
I have two friends with them and they are like 'eh'.

Too much maintenance they say. Greasing, lubing the cleats with dry lube, keeping the cleat clean.

Sort of a cult, IMO

You need to grease the pedal itself about once a year. A 3 minute DIY job.

As for lubing the cleats, if you replace them every 5000 miles or so, you rarely if ever need to lube them.

If they get really dirty, putting some lube on them helps. This is about a 5 second job.

As for it being a cult, the major upside is how quick and easy they are to get into, so the cult tends to be racers, where the advantages of very quick entry, low stack height, and steep cornering angles make an actual difference.

If your current pedals work for you, and those advantages don't matter to you, then no reason you'd want to switch, but the advantages are real.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-09-16, 08:33 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by pvillemasher

I've only ridden Speedplays so have no idea about other pedals but you don't really clip into Speedplays, you just put your foot down and ride, they pretty much automagically clip after a stroke or two.

Major reason that I, and everyone on our team switched to Speedplays 25 years ago was that it is much more difficult to pull out of Speedplays than Look pedals.

The plastic cleat starts to get a little worn, and its fairly easy to pull out of Look pedals. Never ever had a problem pulling out of Speedplays.
Old 08-09-16, 08:36 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by American Euchre
I got the zero's because I need the float for my knees. They are also very lightweight, and have some cool design features such as double sided entry, a very low profile, low weight, and are a little bit unique vs the ubiquitous spd's.

It took me a while to get used to the float. Not only is there a massive amount of float (range is adjustable), but it feels "slippery" meaning there is very little resistance to heel movement laterally.

Some of the less than positive aspects of zero's include a less than intuitive clip in. After months and months of riding, clipping in is still not intuitive. With looks, step in is self evident, even to the novice. You do it once, and it's burned into muscle memory: step in with the toe, press down at the back of the cleat. You're in. The triangular cleat is like a guiding arrow.

With the zero's empty circle cleat, there is no self evident "point" to aim. You step in, press down and hope you can clip in at the correct angle, whatever it is. I don't always manage to clip in on my first attempt, and that's a little disconcerting and frustrating.

Sprinting/standing and stomping is not always confidence inspiring given the amount of float also.

Zero's are great if you've had knee issues in the past and want to log lots of spinning miles. They're not the most intuitive for clipping in, or standing+stomping.

I like the pedals but they're really designed for people with knee issues first and foremost.
^^^ Huh. I can't say that I recall too many people echoing your sentiment that Speedplays are less intuitive to clip in to vs Look-type cleats/pedals.

Euchre,
I'd say you're in a very distinct minority here. Speedplays you just step on the pedal and you're off, no thought process, no having to get the pedal upright, no having to enter front then back.

If you watch a crit race, the percentage of riders using Speedplays is higher than for recreational cyclists, primarily because of the speed and ease of entry.

Personally, I used Looks when they first came out, have ridden Speedplays for years, and now have Look style vector pedals on our tandem, and dislike the vectors because they're harder to get clipped in than Speedplays.
Old 08-09-16, 09:08 AM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Speedplays are *incredibly* easy to clip into. This is the reason I got them - I was tired of messing around with flipping the SPD-SL pedals over and trying to catch the engagement point with the front of my cleat. With the Speedplay, not only can you clip into either side of the pedal, but they don't spin crazily around like an SPD-SL. So they are usually sitting in the same position that you clip out of them with - e.g., flat. You just push your foot straight down onto the top of the pedal, and there is slight resistance as the spring-clip engages. The cleats are more expensive than SPD-SLs, but the benefits are worth it.
Old 08-09-16, 09:08 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by American Euchre

None of this represents my experience over about 12 yrs. of using Speedplays. FWIW, I have no knee issues and didn't buy them for that reason.
Old 09-03-16, 03:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by ARPRINCE

Or get the CHROMO $96

Speedplay Zero Cro-mo Pedals Black - Pedals - Ribble Cycles

Anyone actually use these? Looking at the photo (of the Ti/silver ones at least) the collar above the threads seems to lack any kind of straight edges for wrenching these into a crankarm? they appear perfectly round..
Old 09-03-16, 03:38 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
There's a hex for tightening through the back of the crank arm.
Old 09-03-16, 03:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

There's a hex for tightening through the back of the crank arm.
Thanks.. it's always the obvious things that I miss..
Old 09-09-16, 08:52 PM
Flying Foot Doc

Bikes: Giant eStance2, raised carbon handlebars , dropper post & Raceface Ride pedals

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I'm an old guy, and have tried various pedals as I've gotten into cycling, Shinamo, Look one other brand whose name I'm blanking on and now Speedplay X. For me the float is a positive thing & I find them easier to get into when starting. Harder to walk on the metal plates of the cleat system. I think I'll end up staying with these
Old 09-09-16, 10:01 PM
cdnredraider

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Foot Doc
I'm an old guy, and have tried various pedals as I've gotten into cycling, Shinamo, Look one other brand whose name I'm blanking on and now Speedplay X. For me the float is a positive thing & I find them easier to get into when starting. Harder to walk on the metal plates of the cleat system. I think I'll end up staying with these
Grab some Keep on Kovers. Greatly helps walking in the cleats.
Old 09-09-16, 11:25 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Keywin pedals are available with various axle length options. They are good pedals too.
Old 09-10-16, 04:59 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Flying Foot Doc
If you were on Zeros, the new walkable clear is awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.