Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anybody using the Garmin Varia radar?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anybody using the Garmin Varia radar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 05:22 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
It sounds pretty interesting. Most of my rides are either with low traffic on in the canyons where I can clearly hear cars quite a distance behind me. This could help on certain sections of the descent though. I must look into it.
Old 07-21-16, 10:06 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
It sounds pretty interesting. Most of my rides are either with low traffic on in the canyons where I can clearly hear cars quite a distance behind me. This could help on certain sections of the descent though. I must look into it.
The Varia is well worth it if you ride low traffic roads in conditions you can't hear cars approaching. Its a extremely helpful point of reference.
Old 07-24-16, 10:08 AM
cruc1a7

Bikes: Speed Concept 7.5, DA9k Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like above, its good for low traffic/rural roads. I am partial deaf in 1 ear and ride against wind most of the time and cannot hear traffic until it is very close. The light is not bright during the daytime and would probably been better off not having a light. The functionality of the radar and integration with the edge is superb. The round mounting clip is extremely secure but ugly as hell. Someone does make a 3d printed garmin mount for a Fizik ICS saddle though.

Size:
Old 08-14-16, 08:48 AM
verbcrunch

Bikes: SWorks Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Ibis Ripley, Fat Chance. Concorde.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I now won't ride with cars without the Varia Radar. It's another information source in addition to hearing the car approaching and seeing it in the mirror. Once I had 7 "dots" on my Edge 1000, sure enough 7 cars went by. It turns green when the coast is clear.

The only downside in my case is that radar completely takes over real estate behind my bike - can't coexist with a saddle bag, no room for anything else on the seat post. Looking into getting a seat rail mount option.
Old 08-14-16, 08:54 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I have one. I ride mostly rural roads with low traffic density. I have it paired with a Garmin 25 (Minimalism); the audible signal I find is the most important feature. When I am going downhill at a reasonable speed, it is quite useful, and gives me a heads up before I hear a car. When I am climbing, I usually hear a car before the radar activates and beeps. On windy roads, it is of fairly limited utility, as it has to have a direct line-of-sight to detect a car. I find it more useful than a helmet mirror.

I have it mounted on a rear rack. Not enough room for it and a small saddle bag on my seatpost, unfortunately, so if I take the rack off, I have very few options.
Old 08-14-16, 09:15 AM
mccombs

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I agree 100% with Jarrett.

While I hate how poor Garmin software is, and the fact they they seem to do little testing of their head units before releasing them, the Varia light works well, consistently.

I am aware of cars behind me much sooner than if I didn't have the Varia. This is a great help to me. Here in New Mexico we have a huge number of stickers that collect in the bike lines. Many of us ride in the road when cars aren't around, or at least hug the left side of the bike lane. Yes, the stickers are that bad in some parts of the year. So having more warning when a car comes up from behind is a huge plus. The Varia gives me plenty of time to move back into the sticker infested bike lane.

We also have some long steep descents here. You can't hear cars coming up behind you when you are going 40-50mph. Again, the Varia is a huge help.

Originally Posted by Jarrett2
I've been using one on virtually every ride since Christmas. I don't like to ride without it anymore.

I use it with my Edge 1000 and it works.

Yes, in a tail wind you can hear cars coming up behind you. If you are moving fast or in a head wind, this thing is invaluable. Its especially useful when you are pushing hard and lose focus on safety for a minute. It snaps you back into reality.

Yes, it tells you when multiple cars are approaching.

Yes, it will tell you if a cyclist is coming up behind, only if they are coming up fast.

It will also tell you if a car is waiting to pass. And how roughly how fast a car is approaching.

It won't tell you if that car is on a collision course or not, you have to look back to determine that.

The Varia regularly tells me about cars approaching from behind before people with mirrors on their helmet see them. Sometimes when I'm leading a group ride, I will yell car back before the people behind me.

Any other questions?
Old 08-14-16, 12:50 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Will be nice if they build a more compact unit. I can't give up my saddle bag.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 08-14-16, 08:09 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by verbcrunch
I now won't ride with cars without the Varia Radar. It's another information source in addition to hearing the car approaching and seeing it in the mirror. Once I had 7 "dots" on my Edge 1000, sure enough 7 cars went by. It turns green when the coast is clear.

The only downside in my case is that radar completely takes over real estate behind my bike - can't coexist with a saddle bag, no room for anything else on the seat post. Looking into getting a seat rail mount option.
You can just put it in your jersey pocket and operates just fine.

J.
Old 08-23-16, 02:32 AM
_ediri

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have the radar, best thing ever! Feel naked without it.

After a while you get a feeling for the blips and false positives and as stated above its a nice additional source of information!

Only downside is the battery drain! Depending on the ride duration you can practically recharge every 3 hours of usage.
Old 09-28-16, 10:54 AM
Bucknuckle

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be interested in getting the Varia as I am hard of hearing. I only hear cars when there passing. How long does the battery last? Is it rechargeable? I am getting a new Edge 1000 and would like to add the varia.
Old 09-28-16, 12:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by _ediri
Only downside is the battery drain! Depending on the ride duration you can practically recharge every 3 hours of usage.
The battery in the radar itself, or in the head unit? Does it charge with standard USB? Can you charge it while using it? I could leave a battery pack in my saddle bag.
Old 09-28-16, 02:04 PM
cruc1a7

Bikes: Speed Concept 7.5, DA9k Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is micro-usb and according to some comments on dcrainmaker's site you can use it while charging. Everywhere I read they always recommend a garmin supported computer. The remote display kit does not provide the audio beep which distracts you by staring/glancing at the screen. I use the computer/light combo purely for the beep to make me look back. Before using it I was skeptical but now after a few months and riding once without it I try not to forget it.

Garmin Varia Bike Radar System In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker
Old 09-29-16, 05:16 AM
Bucknuckle

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a question as I am new to the Varia, I am purchasing a Garmin edge 1000 in a few days,I would also like to get the Varia.
Can I just buy the taillight ($200) instead of getting the bundle head unit with it for ($300)
Will just the taillight radar for $200 work with my edge 1000? Thank you.
Old 09-29-16, 07:34 AM
handz98

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucknuckle
I have a question as I am new to the Varia, I am purchasing a Garmin edge 1000 in a few days,I would also like to get the Varia.
Can I just buy the taillight ($200) instead of getting the bundle head unit with it for ($300)
Will just the taillight radar for $200 work with my edge 1000? Thank you.
Yes.

Make sure when you perform updates of the 1000 that you update the Varia as well. I had some issues early on with the two units not playing nicely together if the updates were out of sync. Overall very happy with it, just wish the "beep" was louder.

- handz98
Old 09-29-16, 08:30 AM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have it and I love it. Very handy for low traffic roads. I could see where it might not work as well in high traffic areas.. But you always know how many cars you have behind you. I like that for when I have to go left (I still look after the last car passes, but it is nice to know what is behind me without looking back)
Old 09-30-16, 05:04 AM
_ediri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The battery in the radar itself, or in the head unit? Does it charge with standard USB? Can you charge it while using it? I could leave a battery pack in my saddle bag.
I charge it at the moment via USB on my PC and it don't run during charinging. Even when connect in on mode it will turn off during charging. Maybe its different with a powerbank. I can test it later at home when connect it to the mains.
Old 09-30-16, 05:06 AM
_ediri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Munk69
I have it and I love it. Very handy for low traffic roads. I could see where it might not work as well in high traffic areas.. But you always know how many cars you have behind you. I like that for when I have to go left (I still look after the last car passes, but it is nice to know what is behind me without looking back)
This and i love that the car drivers get a kind of interaction with me (the nearer they get, the light bar change) and have an instant reminder. I feel the cars pass me cleaner now...
Old 09-30-16, 01:30 PM
genefruit

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I charge it at the moment via USB on my PC and it don't run during charinging. Even when connect in on mode it will turn off during charging. Maybe its different with a powerbank. I can test it later at home when connect it to the mains.
It does not function while charging, one of the issues I have with the unit. Almost makes it necessary to have two, one to charge while using the other, on a long ride (8+ hours)

Other complaints after a few thousand miles.

Head unit doesn't provide an audio notification option, so you have to mount it in a conspicuous location or use a compatible Garmin GPS unit. I use a K-edge out in front XL to get it in sight off my bars.

Turning the head unit on/off should communicate with the rear light to do so likewise.

False positives happen but a false negative hasn't yet. This is good.

After the software update, the head unit loses connectivity with the light occasionally. Typically 5-7 seconds to restore. Does not require user intervention to restore the connection.

While not perfect, I consider it a valuable tool to aid in my awareness of my surroundings.
Old 09-30-16, 03:02 PM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
I've been using one on virtually every ride since Christmas. I don't like to ride without it anymore.

I use it with my Edge 1000 and it works.

Yes, in a tail wind you can hear cars coming up behind you. If you are moving fast or in a head wind, this thing is invaluable. Its especially useful when you are pushing hard and lose focus on safety for a minute. It snaps you back into reality.

Yes, it tells you when multiple cars are approaching.

Yes, it will tell you if a cyclist is coming up behind, only if they are coming up fast.

It will also tell you if a car is waiting to pass. And how roughly how fast a car is approaching.

It won't tell you if that car is on a collision course or not, you have to look back to determine that.

The Varia regularly tells me about cars approaching from behind before people with mirrors on their helmet see them. Sometimes when I'm leading a group ride, I will yell car back before the people behind me.

Any other questions?
Got a question....

I'm hearing impaired and I won't be able to hear anything surround me or from Garmin devices. Will it flash light on the display or is it just light up (non-flashing) yellow or green?

I mostly ride on off street bike trails where most cyclists ride on. I don't look back often, only do that when I'm about to pass jogger/walker or slow cyclist. Since you said it will tell us if cyclist is approaching me fast that got me interested buying Varia radar.
Old 10-01-16, 06:22 PM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Biking season is close to over here, I expect I'll get one of these next Spring.
Old 10-01-16, 06:57 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It's all fun and games until the accident breaks your arm and you wake up in rain with a passerby telling you that you should really get out of the road if you're able to walk.
As a cyclist that has been hit from behind by a truck, spent 4 days in an induced coma, and 5 weeks in a trauma center recovering(18 days on a PICC line), I find your ability to trust technology to to prevent a recurrence absolutely foolhardy.

My thought is that this device will do nothing but help to let your guard down, and put you at greater risk.

YMMV
Old 10-03-16, 01:59 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JMH714
Got a question....

I'm hearing impaired and I won't be able to hear anything surround me or from Garmin devices. Will it flash light on the display or is it just light up (non-flashing) yellow or green?

I mostly ride on off street bike trails where most cyclists ride on. I don't look back often, only do that when I'm about to pass jogger/walker or slow cyclist. Since you said it will tell us if cyclist is approaching me fast that got me interested buying Varia radar.
The screen does change, but if it didn't beep, I'd never notice it.
Old 10-03-16, 06:04 PM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Um, probably not worth to get it. If I'm about to pass someone on the trail, I could look at the screen to see if there's anything behind me and then turn head to double check. Turning head probably the best way to do it without shell out $200 for a radar.
Old 10-03-16, 06:23 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
^love the thing.. super useful when you just can't really turn your head. Like on dodgy roads, large paceline...or TTbike training in the aero position (most useful) you don't know what your missing till you try.
Old 10-04-16, 08:45 AM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This and i love that the car drivers get a kind of interaction with me (the nearer they get, the light bar change) and have an instant reminder. I feel the cars pass me cleaner now...

Yep, totally agree. I feel the same way and it gives me an opportunity make sure I am over as far as I can be. Just handy and I feel safer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.