Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fed up with my Brompton.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Fed up with my Brompton.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 07:16 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for all the replies..What i have decided to do is put my Brompton away for the winter and just use my old Phillips (Dahon clone) and see how I get on..If I do not miss the Brompton perhaps it will end up on Ebay..
Old 09-28-16, 07:38 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tudorowen1
Thanks for all the replies..What i have decided to do is put my Brompton away for the winter and just use my old Phillips (Dahon clone) and see how I get on..If I do not miss the Brompton perhaps it will end up on Ebay..
Good idea. Leave it for awhile, and bring it out at a later time and see what you think then. If you still feel that it doesn't suite your needs, then, of course, put it up for sale. Why keep something that you will not use.
Old 09-28-16, 11:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Then maybe get a Moulton, with race bike components.
Old 09-28-16, 12:16 PM
sdwphoto

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=---- My only peeve with the bike is that it provides a harsh ride on bad road surfaces.------

Cheers
Wayne[/QUOTE]

I can relate to your experince,my first few rides on my Brompton was very bumpy but there are several things that can be done to smooth them out.
I added a Brooks sprung saddle that just gets better as it continues to break in,and the extra weight doesn't concern me.Also getting the correct amount of air pressure in the tires makes a big difference .Putting to much pressure in a tire can slow your speed due to the wheels not makeing contact with the road surface because of constant bouncing and it doesn't help your tail bone any. Finding the right balance of air pressure for both front and rear tires does make a difference.I believe Sheldon Brown's site shows how to calculate for tire size,weight of rider, etc.If you can't find it at Sheldon's it's probably tucked away in some of the forums at this site.
Old 09-28-16, 02:22 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
LOL.

not to mention the fact that you'll need the extra 5 gears to carry around the extra weight.

before dropping 2k on a new rear triangle and ultra-pricey hub, did you try changing the cogs on the 6 speed hub?

if you switch to 12t and 15t cogs you'll get almost exactly even gear spacing across 307% range. worth a try considering if you don't like it you've only spend 20usd not 2000usd..

Or just get a used Mezzo or tikit?
Opps OP didnt want anyone to suggest this. Oh well.

Last edited by bhkyte; 09-30-16 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-30-16, 10:20 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tudorowen1
I have had 3 Bromptons over the last 9 years..My current model is a 2011 S6L ..I just find it very slow now..The gaps between the gears seem ridiculous and I find it hard to keep up a decent speed..I am happy in the 2 middle gears just pottering along..I find it heavy to carry ..Great to fold ..
This feeling of not liking my Brommie much has developed this last few months..
Would a Mezzo be better..from a riding point of view..?
From a gearing point of view yes. The D9 is undergeared in standard form. But its simple to a dual drive or IHG and end up with better gearing especially if you get a used mezzo cheap. Which is quite easy in UK. It is possible to convert the mezzo to a full rolling rack. See the mezzo upgrade thread. It will be no lighter a brompton to carry. It unfolds faster but is less fool proof to fold.
I have a 27 speed dual drive mezzo with road race parts,low profile dropped bars and roadrace brifters and its fab for fast commuting.
Old 10-04-16, 09:59 AM
nz6666

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not just the gaps between gears, the rear suspension also make it slow. I am like you, I have a 2016 s6l, I have a fnhon (like a Dahon speed 8) before that. I have been using fnhon commuting all the time and then bought a bromie. The difference is quite obvious I must say. Bromie is slower, to cover the same commute distance I have to put a lot more effort. Especially on hills, where bromie just suffers big time, because I either can't spin a higher gear or a lower gear just too low. If you want something fast go for a folder without suspension or any kind, which involves flipping the rear wheel, which rules out birdy, tyrell etc. So a cheap and simple Dahon is faster than many. Tern is also good at speed due to similar structure. You can save the money and get top tier road components and slick tyres and put those on a Dahon speed, mu, etc the result will be much better than get an expensive 'high end' folder.
Old 10-04-16, 10:24 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nz6666
It's not just the gaps between gears, the rear suspension also make it slow. I am like you, I have a 2016 s6l, I have a fnhon (like a Dahon speed 8) before that. I have been using fnhon commuting all the time and then bought a bromie. The difference is quite obvious I must say. Bromie is slower, to cover the same commute distance I have to put a lot more effort. Especially on hills, where bromie just suffers big time, because I either can't spin a higher gear or a lower gear just too low. If you want something fast go for a folder without suspension or any kind, which involves flipping the rear wheel, which rules out birdy, tyrell etc. So a cheap and simple Dahon is faster than many. Tern is also good at speed due to similar structure. You can save the money and get top tier road components and slick tyres and put those on a Dahon speed, mu, etc the result will be much better than get an expensive 'high end' folder.
I would usually be the first to agree with slowness of Brompton. My Mezzo has a narrow spaced cluster and I feel thats the way to go with dual drive.
However, a brompton with bullbars and stem extenstion can be a fast bike. I set one up this way. I was disappointed with upgrade potentional to get more gears, but other than that it was a good bike. I think an afline version to a road race versa brifter would be not a lot slower than my dual drive mezzo set up and better and out of the saddle than my Mezzo.
I have upgraded a few folders to be simular to road race set ups. Much is about running kojack tyres as a first upgrade.
With the birdie and the Brompton things can be done to stiffen the rear sus you feel its robbing . am sure a brompton could be in non standard form a match for a good rigid bike like mu other folders have been if you need a really fast road bike.
I own 3 birdies and they seem to be faster and brake better than a Brompton by some way. But never done a fast road bike upgrade of a Birdie.
Old 10-04-16, 08:35 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by nz6666

I have the Tyrell IVE and it uses a hard elastomer which don't contribute a suspension effect unlike the Birdy.
Its a stiff bike, climbs well and speeds up well for a small wheeled bike.
Within the 9months I've had it, the bike has been on two 200km brevets (ending as 236km each ride) which involves about 1.8km of climbing each, so its certainly not a problem climbing in it (no suspension bobbing).

On some days, I do follow some of the slower road groups going at about 28/30kph (60-80km) and the bike keeps up.

As for the Birdy and Brompton, I know many folks change out to the hardest elastomer if they want to ride fast.
Old 10-06-16, 07:58 AM
desastar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I've just done it. Sold the Brompton. Nice bike, just didn't suit my type of riding.

Just my Birdys and Tikit now.
Old 10-06-16, 08:06 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have been riding my old Phillips (Dahon ) 8 speed recently..Much nicer to ride than a Brompton but it is huge when it is folded..So..going back to my Brompton and putting the Phillips away..
I keep my folding bikes in the kitchen and the Phillips just takes up too much room..
Old 10-06-16, 08:38 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I restarted short bicycle touring on the Brompton since it eliminated several major disadvantages I didn't like with regular touring rigs, or even my Speed P8. After the first tour, I was convinced I was losing 10-20% speed/efficiency vs my cross/gravel bike. Then I tested both with a GPS on a fixed loop around my home and was surprised to find it was actually in the 5-7% range (although I don't claim to be strong or fast rider). For all the added versatility and portability of the Brompton, that loss is well worth it to me.
Old 10-08-16, 04:17 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
I restarted short bicycle touring on the Brompton since it eliminated several major disadvantages I didn't like with regular touring rigs, or even my Speed P8. After the first tour, I was convinced I was losing 10-20% speed/efficiency vs my cross/gravel bike. Then I tested both with a GPS on a fixed loop around my home and was surprised to find it was actually in the 5-7% range (although I don't claim to be strong or fast rider). For all the added versatility and portability of the Brompton, that loss is well worth it to me.
I believe Jur found that his perception about his swift being faster than his birdie was simular to this.