Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How to see my speedometer at night?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 03:45 PM
Mihail C.

Bikes: '15 Specialized Sirrus Elite, '10 Jamis Coda Sport, '04 Jamis Coda Sport, '12 Jamis Dragon 650B, '12 Jamis Sattelite Sport.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 6 Posts

Hello

I have a speedometer from Blackburn, Atom SL 3.0. It works great for me: wireless, lightweight, does the job great. However, the main missing feature in my opinion, is a backlight so you can see it at night time. Has anybody had a similar problem with their speedometer and, if so, what kind of solutions have you found? I plan to find a tiny battery operated light, and attach it to the speedometer, so I can turn it on and off when necessary. I'm going to check out soon, my local hardware and electronics stores. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Mihail C.; 10-02-16 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Not enough cowbell
Old 10-02-16, 03:50 PM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I really wish all bike computers had some sort of backlight, but a headlamp or helmet-mounted light works in addition to providing other necessary illumination.
Old 10-02-16, 04:28 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 123 Posts
I clip a small led headlamp to my jersey. Right about where a should strap for a backpack would go.
Old 10-02-16, 05:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
With a Light the battery goes dead sooner ,and all mileage data is Lost.
Old 10-02-16, 06:34 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
A tiny headlamp is perfect for that - and lighting up street signs. I'm partial to the Black Diamond Ion, which fits between my glasses and helmet.

I've also seen people add a reading light to their handlebar. I think they're sold as clip on book lights.
Old 10-03-16, 12:58 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
My solution is to not care what it says
Old 10-05-16, 01:01 PM
2TriMaster2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a unit with a backlight. It's great. Kind of like having a friend when riding in the dark.
Old 05-08-17, 10:19 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Is this overkill?

If you want the best you have to pay.

https://www.nightvision4less.com/dtn...-3-agm-hs.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nvgs.jpg (49.1 KB, 157 views)
Old 05-09-17, 10:15 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
A tiny headlamp is perfect for that - and lighting up street signs. I'm partial to the Black Diamond Ion, which fits between my glasses and helmet.
Got an Energizer head lamp strapped on the helmet. It's handy on low for reading the speedometer and such, and worth its weight in gold for nighttime repairs.
Old 05-09-17, 11:24 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 537 Times in 368 Posts
About 10 years ago, Sigma used to sell a coin cell computer accessory light that attached on the bars next to the bike computer and was tall enough to aim it's light downward. Haven't seen one for years, though.

Something like this LED inspection light could be adapted quite easily. But it might be too bright aimed at the bike computer.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-09-17 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 11:34 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,925 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
About 10 years ago, Sigma used to sell a coin cell computer accessory light that attached on the bars next to the bike computer and was tall enough to aim it's light downward. Haven't seen one for years, though.
Googling turns up:
LIGHT SIGMA NITELITE FOR COMPUTER
Bike Lights - LIGHT SIGMA NITELITE FOR COMPUTER
Old 05-09-17, 07:52 PM
1Coopgt

Bikes: Mongoose Reform Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here you go . Your own personal headlight. https://www.amazon.com/CeSunlight-Re...4381046&sr=1-4
Old 05-09-17, 08:10 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec...n+tec+flexible
Attached Images
31vcbQxCljL.jpg (13.5 KB, 130 views)
Old 05-10-17, 03:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7408 Post(s)
Liked 2,588 Times in 1,511 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Got an Energizer head lamp strapped on the helmet. It's handy on low for reading the speedometer and such, and worth its weight in gold for nighttime repairs.
I agree this is versatile for reading the display and doing repairs. I ought to carry mine with me on rides. Those lights that hang lower look smart, too, and they're better if you want to talk to someone, because a light that is near your eyes is annoying to the other person.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-11-17, 12:07 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mihail C.
Hello

I have a speedometer from Blackburn, Atom SL 3.0. It works great for me: wireless, lightweight, does the job great. However, the main missing feature in my opinion, is a backlight so you can see it at night time. Has anybody had a similar problem with their speedometer and, if so, what kind of solutions have you found? I plan to find a tiny battery operated light, and attach it to the speedometer, so I can turn it on and off when necessary. I'm going to check out soon, my local hardware and electronics stores. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.
There are computers that offer a back-light button. I use an old Vetta computer that has a back-light button. Works well but when you press the button it only stays lit for about 3-5 sec. I like the Sigma Nitelight idea but that means mounting more junk to my bars. I have to admit though that I hardly ever use the back light anymore. When wearing gloves it's real hard to find anyway. I do miss though casually being able to see my speed ( or lack thereof ) at night.

I don't own a good Garmin product but I would suppose if you owned something like the 810 that it would have an option for viewing your speed at night. With the rechargeable bigger batteries, the Garmin products should have no problems with running a back-light display for longer periods. Hopefully someone who owns one will kick-in a comment on how the nite display actually works.
Old 05-11-17, 08:34 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 407 Posts
I've thought about this for years, and I think it would be possible to create a small fiber-optic cable (or a lucite rod) with one end at the edge of the headlight beam and the other end over the computer. This would transmit a small amount of light from the headlight to the computer without any additional batteries or lights.
Luckily for me, my favorite headlight is on a mount that positions it above and behind the computer, so the computer is always illuminated. :-)
Steve
Old 05-12-17, 11:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7408 Post(s)
Liked 2,588 Times in 1,511 Posts
Nite Ize makes a little light that hangs from your zipper pull or wherever. I have one on my winter jacket, though I rarely use it. It might be sufficient for reading your handlebar display.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-12-17, 02:59 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
After reading through all of the suggestions I think Secret Squirrel's idea is one of the best. Good as long as you don't mind using up the quarter size batteries. A lot depends though on just how flexible the extension is. If the extension is too flimsy it might move or vibrate too much when in use ( depending on where you mount it ). That could be distracting. Still if you could mount one on a helmet ( and secure the extension ) it might work. Anyway the one that S-Squirrel suggested is only 10 lumen and that is about as bright as you want it.

Now if you aren't satisfied with using a computer with a back-lit display ( most only remain lit for about 10 sec. ) then you need an external light. I don't see the Sigma computer nite-light unit being sold anymore so I don't think that's an option. Keeping with S-Squirrel's idea I like the idea of a small mini light being mounted to the helmet. Just so happens I have both small RCR123 type torches and one using a single AA. Both of those have moon-light modes so I started messing around to see how much of a PITA it might be to use one on the road helmet. Turns out the the small RCR123 type ( with clip ) works pretty well and is relatively easy to put on or remove. On moon-light mode these things run forever ( ) so that and the fact that the batteries are rechargeable mean that I'm definitely going to give this a try when I do my next night road ride. For me the plus side of this is that I get to see my two remote buttons better...which is hard to do at night since the buttons aren't lit.

FWIW, I would think a small AAA type torch might work just as well. Just make sure you have one that's not too bright. Moon-light mode is what you want and rechargeable batteries...win-win.
Old 05-21-17, 10:27 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Continued from my last post;

I finally tried out the small torch idea on the helmet ( for seeing the speedometer ). The torch I used was an O-Light S1 clone. It's called the M3 and sold by Gearbest. ( Note; link is to the one with warm-white emitter and no charger or battery option ) As I said before the moonlight mode is perfect. Been a long time since I was able to see my speedometer. I was surprised at how fast I was going, even when I thought I was poking along. I can see now I'll be using this on a regular basis. ( I mounted it on the far lower left of my helmet and with the aid of some Velcro and a small piece of electrical tape, it held it's place perfectly and provided the perfect amount of light...just enough to see the numbers and no more. )

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 05-21-17 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 12:27 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 412 Posts
Cateye used to have a speedometer light, but I think it's been discontinued:

Old 05-22-17, 02:34 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
I deal with the problem from two sides. On one hand I only buy computers with backlight, usually Sigma for whom backlight seems a priority. Most cheap Chinese computers come with a backlight but they tend to have other deficiencies such as inaccurate clock, displays that falter in the cold etc. Second I adopted a USB gooseneck lamp so that it mounts on the handlebars and connects to the rest of my lighting system, getting powered from the same source as headlight and taillight. There are other things that I may need to see around the handlebars than just the computer.
Old 05-22-17, 02:59 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You could take the opportunity to tour north of the Arctic Circle.
Old 05-22-17, 03:52 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I've thought about this for years, and I think it would be possible to create a small fiber-optic cable (or a lucite rod) with one end at the edge of the headlight beam and the other end over the computer. This would transmit a small amount of light from the headlight to the computer without any additional batteries or lights.
Luckily for me, my favorite headlight is on a mount that positions it above and behind the computer, so the computer is always illuminated. :-)
Steve
I made one just like that. I used it for a while. It worked fine, it looked so bad I took it off. It looked like I Velcroed a coat hanger to my light. I have two of the sigma bar mount side lights they work fine unless I have my ski gloves or mittens on. I can just barely do it with ski gloves.
Same for the other small work light, used one of those too. Now I use a small single AA battery Nitecore flashlight on my helmet. I can twist it with my gloves or mittens on. And, as mentioned it is good for other things too. The small rubber strap on coin cell lights can be worn like a ring and work well too. But the no hands method on the helmet light beats the rest. Nice when fixing a flat 60 miles from home, in the middle of nowhere, and, at midnight when its 20F. The no hands feature really becomes nice. I have fixed a flat holding a small light in my mouth too. Ok if it's not cold.
I have three nice sigma computers that have back lighting in them. I find that instead having to replace the cr2032 battery in the light and reprogram the computer, I prefer using rechargeable eneloops in my helmet light. In case I need to use it a lot, I already carry four extra eneloops for my backup headlight system anyway.
Old 05-22-17, 04:31 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
The neck on this was too flexible, it would not stay in one place. It was a reading light from Christmas tree shops.
Attached Images
DSCN0533.jpg (89.3 KB, 34 views)
DSCN0535.jpg (85.3 KB, 34 views)