Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Unfriendly

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Unfriendly

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-16, 01:49 PM
hogger453

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He seems very friendly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0SgGLpA.jpg (95.0 KB, 221 views)
Old 10-01-16, 02:09 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Old 10-01-16, 02:16 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
See--you can be old and not grumpy.
Old 10-02-16, 06:14 AM
CreamyPete

Bikes: 2016 Giant Defy 5, Kent Road Tech 700c

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a 35yo noob with liner shorts under gym shorts, bad facial hair and a sub 1K$ bike who lives in rural Arkansas. I wave/nod/smile at everyone, even cars if traffic is light.. not just because I like to think of myself as nice, but it's important to be perceived as friendly to avoid suspicion, drama, worse. Plus, if folks like you they'll likely help a bit if things go sideways for you.
I still hate small-talk, but I try to be indulgent.
Maybe if I was super-fit, had fancy matching kit, and a ton of local like-minded buddies I'd be a bigger *******. . .
Old 10-02-16, 09:59 AM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are so many cyclists riding where I live that waving to one would be similar to waving at somebody that also drives a white car when you're on the road driving. It would be exhausting and nobody would know why you're trying to get their attention.
Old 10-02-16, 10:18 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
I live a mile West of Chicago:
Few wave on bike paths,trails or bike lanes.
Many on the streets wave on road bikes and kits, more so in "lonely" early hours
A ding ding or ching ching gets more responses and smiles
Always sound bell for baby strollers or groups of day care kids, the love it!
Many hikers wave and greet on trails, but fewer do as you near trail head
Many walkers greet on sidewalk but this diminishes as you get near down town
Bell won't work when you walk
I don't worry when I don't get a response
Old 10-02-16, 10:20 AM
gringomojado

Oh, out in the country ALL DRIVERS (not on highway) wave , if! only with a "index finger with hand on top of steering wheel finger wag
Old 10-02-16, 10:22 AM
gringomojado

I have a white Beetle, ALL white Beetle drivers wave at each other, sometimes for Black Beetles NEVER at Pink Beetles!
Old 10-02-16, 10:58 AM
Staypuft1652

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scarbo
yeah, they can teach monkeys to drive cars (to text and drive, for that matter and they would do no worse than humans) but it takes real skill to ride a motorcycle; you have to constantly be on your game and the synapses all have to all be firing precisely. Well--that last bit about the synapses: Perhaps that doesn't quite apply to harley riders, haha.
👍😀
Old 10-02-16, 10:59 AM
Staypuft1652

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
wanna really confuse someone? As you approach the other rider, sit up and salute them. And not just a regular salute, the kind where you finish with a snap of the hand as you fling your arm away from your head. Some will get a kick out of it, some will laugh, others will just think you are a creep. I'm ok with any of these responses.
👍👍
Old 10-02-16, 07:10 PM
Zukoda

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm on the MUP, there are too many other riders to wave to - but I will wave if I am on city streets and see the lone, odd rider and usually get a wave in return. A month ago I got a flat on the MUP and nary a soul stopped or asked if I needed help. Today, however, I had another flat on the same MUP and at least 6 riders asked if I was OK or needed assistance. Go figure...
Old 10-02-16, 07:23 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
.... Do you wave at other motorists when driving and expect them to wave back?
You nailed it Dan! That explains it well... makes it completely understandable. I might add: Do you greet everyone in eyesight when you shop at the mall?

There is very little kinship in cycling. But if you breakdown on a busy bicycle path you can still expect offers for help.
Old 10-02-16, 10:13 PM
SCK
Gold chains on everything

Bikes: Heavy Pedal Zephyr, '16 Mash Work, '14 Cinelli Parallax, C-Dale Synapse Disc

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wave to other cyclists. If they don't wave back, no big deal. In my short cycling experience I have found that 90 percent of people wave back.
At the end of the day I couldn't care less if another cyclist seemed rude, I just like to ride.
Old 10-02-16, 10:53 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont wave because i dont really care. If they wave to me, then i will give the nod back. Im there to ride and concentrate, not be your buddy!
Old 10-02-16, 11:19 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
IME, there are two kinds of riders who don't wave: egotistical racer-types that are too good to wave at those 'below them', and the grumpy guy who's tired of the attitude of said egotistical riders and thinks you're one of them. I always wave, but if I don't get any acknowledgement, the next time I see said rider, they're dead to me.
Old 10-03-16, 06:53 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Or, does the frame have to not only look like Carbon Fiber, but also look like it is brand new, with mine being over the hill?
If I notice a stem pointing up, I just assume it's a Craigslist bike that didn't fit.
Old 10-03-16, 07:26 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
You nailed it Dan! That explains it well... makes it completely understandable. I might add: Do you greet everyone in eyesight when you shop at the mall?

There is very little kinship in cycling. But if you breakdown on a busy bicycle path you can still expect offers for help.

I understand what you are saying Dave but there is much more to this. Jeep owners wave to other Jeep owners, as do Corvette owners, motorcyclists and others that have a "common bond". I would think it is fair to say that cyclist have a common bond and some of the more recreational riders might feel compelled to offer a friendly wave. I think it is a nice gesture but people shouldn't get too disappointed when the wave isn't returned. After all, did you wave to make them feel good, or yourself?

I wave if or when the mood strikes me and there is no real pattern as to if or when I do it. Probably if I am engrossed in a serious ride, I am focused on that and might be oblivious to others riding the same section of road (other than they are present). When I am mtb riding, or even rail trails, the ride is more casual and now I can broaden my vision to include others and wave. I feel good doing it and even better when the wave is returned but I understand that it was me who decided to wave and they are not obligated to do likewise.

It really is just that simple. Do it for you, not others and enjoy the warmth in your heart for being a good human being but don't let that feeling escape you because the wave wasn't returned. There could be many good reasons why it wasn't and even a few not so good reasons.
Old 10-03-16, 08:20 AM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leadrunner
I'm a senior, 70, and have only been cycling for about three years. I ride three days during the week about 12 to 15 miles a day. Then, on Saturday, I typically do something a little longer. Also, I normally ride alone. I am normally a pretty friendly guy, but there have been many occasions where I have crossed paths with others that simply won't acknowledge you when you say Good Morning or something of that nature. It doesn't bother me much when it might be a big group in a pace line because they are typically about business. The ones that bother me are the groups of two or three wearing their little matching outfits, on their expensive carbon bikes, that can't be bothered to respond to some old codger just trying to stay alive and stay fit. Can you guys explain their rudeness to me?

I ride solo most of the time. I would always acknowledge fellow riders except:
1. Climbing >10% slope in >90 degree heat
2. Riding into a >15 mph headwind.
3. Just trying to painfully finish a long ride and make it home with knee pain (ITBAS)

Don't be discouraged by cyclists not acknowledging you. We never know at that moment what they're been through.
Old 10-03-16, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,096 Times in 7,558 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
See--you can be old and not grumpy.

Old 10-03-16, 12:01 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 412 Posts
Did you think a number of them probably don't wave back because they're afraid of lifting one hand off the bar?
Old 10-03-16, 12:27 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter

It is a strange social/forum? norm that cyclists are supposed to acknowledge each other.

Do runners wave at one another when they pass on the sidewalk? That's a genuine question, I don't run enough to really know whether that's a thing.

I'm all for being friendly to my fellow man, despite what some people here seem to think about my posts. I personally always wave or nod or smile back at someone if they wave at me, but I'll only initiate the wave if I know the person or happen to make eye contact with them for whatever reason. If they grimace at me or pretend like they don't see me and keep going, whatever. Doesn't detract from my riding pleasure in the least and I don't presume to know why they may or may not have acknowledged me, maybe it's just a bad day.

The type of bike and kit they're rolling in seems to have 0 correlation with their likelihood of being overtly friendly or not, but YMMV and feel free to judge me as a crabon-riding matchy kit millennial ZwiftBro.
Old 10-03-16, 12:44 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
It is a strange social/forum? norm that cyclists are supposed to acknowledge each other.

The type of bike and kit they're rolling in seems to have 0 correlation with their likelihood of being overtly friendly or not, but YMMV and feel free to judge me as a crabon-riding matchy kit millennial ZwiftBro.
Why is it the the posters who complain about not getting a wave back always say he was a carbon - riding matchy kit rider? Coincidence? I think we found the answer, its Dan333SP
Old 10-03-16, 01:00 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Why is it the the posters who complain about not getting a wave back always say he was a carbon - riding matchy kit rider? Coincidence? I think we found the answer, its Dan333SP
Correct. I find new posters, track their Strava routes, and then ride past them intent on giving them "the look" when they wave at me. I live to fulfill stereotypes.
Old 10-03-16, 01:10 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Correct. I find new posters, track their Strava routes, and then ride past them intent on giving them "the look" when they wave at me. I live to fulfill stereotypes.
You too? We should get together so we could double glare at wavers!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-03-16, 01:38 PM
Gasser5.2

Bikes: 2016 Trek Domane 5.2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The real test to gauge fellow riders' sociability (or lack of) is how they react to your attempts to be friendly at the starting point and rest stops of a charity ride. The one I did Saturday yielded the results I've come to expect over the years. Solo riders and those riding with just one other person are the friendliest. Those riding in groups, especially those wearing the same kit, tend to be less so. Kinda reminds me of high school cliques. But from their perspective, if I had more money invested in kits than a guy who just passed me had invested in his bike, I'd probably rather flip him off than return a friendly greeting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.