Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Why is there no speed enforcement at Mountain to the Sea trail?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-16, 04:40 PM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I rode on that trail today and one car speed by me - I can estimate the car went about 30-35 mph on 15 mph speed limit and I was doing about 20 mph (yeah, shame on me). What can we do about that? Report to Newport Beach (or CdM) Police or nothing?
Old 10-01-16, 06:13 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mountains to the Sea in the OC? Can you give some location? I did a location with a Google_Maps link, below.

Free Right Turn

This ^ is Jamboree at `San Joaquin Hills Road`. You are trying to merge right, while expensive sports cars are coming at upwards of 60 MPH, from your rear right. Good combination for a fatality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sjh-road-at-jamboree.jpg (22.1 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by marquhar; 10-01-16 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-01-16, 06:38 PM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's bike trail along Newport upper bay called "Mountain to the Sea Trail & Bikeway" - entering from Eastbluff or Back Bay Drive. Only lane that allowed vehicle to drive on that trail (via Back Bay Drive towards Eastbluff) but vehicle must yield to cyclists and hikers/joggers and 15 mph limit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6205...2!8i6656?hl=en
Old 10-01-16, 06:48 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ah yes, I know it well. You have 3 choices in your case:
1) ride Jamboree (west bound is not bad, excepting the intersections)
2) ride Eastbluff, usually my choice, but the intersections are dicey.
3) as you did,take the back bay. Personally, I can't stand all the stroller moms and walkers here. A speeding car is going to hurt much more than cyclists. Use your ears and take evasive action - even cross into the left lane.

When they say 'Mountains to the Sea', they are not kidding. This trail is marked all the way up in Peter's Canyon, near 1000 ft elevation.

Last edited by marquhar; 10-01-16 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-02-16, 02:23 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This looks like a nice ride. Where can I find a map of the entire trail? I'd like to ride the entire trail top to bottom.
Old 10-03-16, 05:10 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe if you look for OC bikeways or City of Irvine bike ways, you can find a map. If you would like to start at the top of the paved portion; park at Citrus Ranch park (on Portola between Jamboree and Tustin Ranch). On Portola go east until the 241 tollroad - the bike trail starts there (this portion is actually the Hicks Canyon bike trail). Turn right onto the trail and basically follow it down. It will end connecting to Harvard just pass the Harvard Sports Park. From there you take Harvard to just across Barranca and then connect again to the proper Mountain to Seas trail. Take the trail right (east and then go South pass UCI. You will come to the top of Back Bay. I prefer to go counterclockwise but for the first time I recommend going left (clockwise) through Back Bay. At the Dunes, take the bike trail around to Bayside, turn right. Go over the Dunes Bridge, through the parking lot and then back onto Back Bay head back North...

One of my favorite rides...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 10-03-16, 05:15 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
I believe if you look for OC bikeways or City of Irvine bike ways, you can find a map. If you would like to start at the top of the paved portion; park at Citrus Ranch park (on Portola between Jamboree and Tustin Ranch). On Portola go east until the 241 tollroad - the bike trail starts there (this portion is actually the Hicks Canyon bike trail). Turn right onto the trail and basically follow it down. It will end connecting to Harvard just pass the Harvard Sports Park. From there you take Harvard to just across Barranca and then connect again to the proper Mountain to Seas trail. Take the trail right (east and then go South pass UCI. You will come to the top of Back Bay. I prefer to go counterclockwise but for the first time I recommend going left (clockwise) through Back Bay. At the Dunes, take the bike trail around to Bayside, turn right. Go over the Dunes Bridge, through the parking lot and then back onto Back Bay head back North...

One of my favorite rides...
Thanks! You say "If you would like to start at the top of the paved portion", does that imply that there is a higher start point that is unpaved as well? If so, I'd me interested in that since I ride as much unpaved as I do paved and rather enjoy it.
Old 10-04-16, 09:47 AM
bowser29

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
Thanks! You say "If you would like to start at the top of the paved portion", does that imply that there is a higher start point that is unpaved as well? If so, I'd me interested in that since I ride as much unpaved as I do paved and rather enjoy it.

Yes, you can park at Peters Canyon trailhead parking lot on Canyon View Ave and ride down (dirt road).
Old 10-04-16, 02:01 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bowser29
Yes, you can park at Peters Canyon trailhead parking lot on Canyon View Ave and ride down (dirt road).
Thanks, I'm adding that to my ride list. I've got some great ones lined up, and I can hardly wait to get out and ride them all. I've been spending much more time building my bike that riding it, but I'm finally almost done, and will be doing massive riding from there on out.
Old 10-04-16, 03:30 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Liked 273 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by JMH714
I rode on that trail today and one car speed by me - I can estimate the car went about 30-35 mph on 15 mph speed limit
Welcome to California. If you stay here long enough, you'll come to understand that the speed limits are an inside joke we play on tourists from the less-desirable flyover states.

Originally Posted by JMH714
and I was doing about 20 mph (yeah, shame on me). What can we do about that? Report to Newport Beach (or CdM) Police or nothing?
If you do decide to press charges, please do the right thing and include your own confession in the statement.
Old 11-02-16, 12:35 AM
bikeme

Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I'd like to see no cars on that stretch at all, school buses for the kids excepted.