Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will 31mm super wide wheels become the new standard?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 11:47 AM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thoughts? I suspect wider tires/wheels is far more beneficial than a stiffer frame for efficiency.

The new Enve wheels are 31mm outer width, incredible.
Old 10-09-16, 11:56 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,629 Posts
IMO it's just another fad and will pass after enough consumers spend big bucks.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-09-16, 12:14 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
less flats, smoother ride, faster rolling, I'm all for it.
Old 10-09-16, 12:26 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
at some point its a lot of mass to be rolling down the road
Old 10-09-16, 12:37 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
'Efficiency.'
Old 10-09-16, 12:38 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
The pendulum will swing too far toward inefficiency and then come back to a sweet spot. That could take 20 years. Just as in every other thing if a little (extra width) is good, that doesn't mean a lot is better.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-09-16, 12:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have 25mm on my road bike and 32mm on my CX. Each serves a purpose and I see no reason a 32 will work on a road bike.
Old 10-09-16, 12:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
It is Not standard, you can make your own choices..

Im guessing some could say at the high end trend followers have, because of disc brakes, blurred the line between

a disc road bike with the capacity to accept wider tires and a cyclo cross/gravel bike that already had such tire width option, and then some.

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-09-16 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 01:21 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The pendulum will swing too far toward inefficiency and then come back to a sweet spot.
There's so much resistance to the concept that I'm not sure this is true. The market might be heavily damped.
Old 10-09-16, 01:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked 1,557 Times in 1,021 Posts
What I don't comprehend is why, even 10yrs+ ago, all of this couldn't easily be scientifically figured out, what with power meters, wind tunnels, etc.. etc... exactly what works best?
Old 10-09-16, 01:52 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
What I don't comprehend is why, even 10yrs+ ago, all of this couldn't easily be scientifically figured out, what with power meters, wind tunnels, etc.. etc... exactly what works best?
Caliper brakes wouldn't allow it.
Old 10-09-16, 01:55 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
We're not going to have any new road bike wheel standards (even for recreational road bikes) until the UCI makes a final decision about disk brakes
Old 10-09-16, 01:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by HTupolev
There's so much resistance to the concept that I'm not sure this is true. The market might be heavily damped.
What concept?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-09-16, 01:59 PM
rpenmanparker 

Agreed. Put a motor with an ammeter on the crank and place the bike on a dynamometer. Two drums, one smooth and one rough. Vary tire width and inflation to optimize speed at a fixed amperage (which corresponds to power) or optimize amperage st a fixed speed. What could be easier?

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 10-09-16 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 02:04 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by American Euchre
Caliper brakes wouldn't allow it.
Doesn't matter. On a dynamometer you don't need brakes. Yes, the optimum tire width might not be accessable on a given frame with the brakes provided, but that doesn't mean you cannot find out what would be best and moreover what is the absolute relationship between tire width/inflation and efficiency . Then folks could equip their bikes with the best tires that would fit. Maybe not the absolute best, but the best that would work on that bike.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-09-16, 02:18 PM
HTupolev

What concept?
Wide tires. Even after the last ten years, a lot of roadies will look at you like you're crazy if you talk about getting decent performance on a road bike with wide tires. It seems like there's still a knee-jerk reaction against it throughout a large portion of the market.

Agreed. Put a motor with an ammeter on the crank and place the bike on a dynamometer. Two drums, one smooth and one rough. Vary tire width and inflation to optimize speed at a fixed amperage (which corresponds to power). What could be easier.
What makes it tricky is that you need the bike to be mostly free-floating. If it's rigidly locked in place, the suspension will drive flexed power back into forward motion better than it does in reality. Lots of steel drum tests use rough drums and fail to reproduce the BQ or Silca real-world results.

If you have a bike on some rollers with a rider balancing things, and you measure the motor wattage needed to roll the drums at a certain rate, this might be an okay approximation. I'd want to see it reproduce the real-world road data before standing by that statement, though.

Also, this method still wouldn't work as an end-all perfect optimization, since it doesn't take other effects like aero into account.
Old 10-09-16, 02:18 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Agreed. Put a motor with an ammeter on the crank and place the bike on a dynamometer. Two drums, one smooth and one rough. Vary tire width and inflation to optimize speed at a fixed amperage (which corresponds to power). What could be easier.
Certainly not a difficult thing to test. All one needs is money, to build the testing equipment, and maybe pay someone to do it right. I have built things like this before, but I'm 65, I just want to ride and maintain my fleet of 14. It takes enough of my time and money.

Part of the reason may be that you need disk brakes to fit the tires when they get wide enough. None of my road bikes would fit a 28 mm tire. Easy to fix but....must be sold to the public before making a lot of bikes this way.

Maybe this has already been tested and the results were not accepted or were not believed, or just not published in the right places. Some manufacturers don't want to change tooling on what they are already selling a lot of..
Old 10-09-16, 02:27 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Wide tires. Even after the last ten years, a lot of roadies will look at you like you're crazy if you talk about getting decent performance on a road bike with wide tires. It seems like there's still a knee-jerk reaction against it throughout a large portion of the market.

What makes it tricky is that you need the bike to be mostly free-floating. If it's rigidly locked in place, the suspension will drive flexed power back into forward motion better than it does in reality. Lots of steel drum tests use rough drums and fail to reproduce the BQ or Silca real-world results.

If you have a bike on some rollers with a rider balancing things, and you measure the motor wattage needed to roll the drums at a certain rate, this might be an okay approximation. I'd want to see it reproduce the real-world road data before standing by that statement, though.

Also, this method still wouldn't work as an end-all perfect optimization, since it doesn't take other effects like aero into account.
You have to start somehwere.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 10-09-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 02:38 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Part of the reason may be that you need disk brakes to fit the tires when they get wide enough. None of my road bikes would fit a 28 mm tire. Easy to fix but....must be sold to the public before making a lot of bikes this way.
Wider rim brakes could technically be an option. I have a road bike with caliper brakes currently fitting a 28mm tire underneath full-length fenders with enough clearance that it's not a pain to work with.

If we're willing to use seat stay brake mounts, there are quality centerpulls out there that can comfortably handle 40mm tires with full-length fenders, and if we're going to completely throw away our sanity, v-brakes and centerpull cantis allow you to get away with basically anything.

53mm tires with fenders and tons and tons of clearance:

But, discs certainly simplify the matter.
Old 10-09-16, 02:40 PM
PepeM

Because 'exactly what works best' depends on conditions. On smooth surfaces narrow tires at high pressures offer the least resistance. Lower pressures are better at absorbing energy from small obstacles and thus avoiding vertical accelerations on the bicycle. If there are a lot of these small obstacles, then it will be better to minimize these energy losses over minimizing the rolling resistance. If the road is perfectly smooth, stick to narrow and high pressure.

Data does exist btw, just need to go look for it.
Old 10-09-16, 02:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,629 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Because 'exactly what works best' depends on conditions. On smooth surfaces narrow tires at high pressures offer the least resistance. Lower pressures are better at absorbing energy from small obstacles and thus avoiding vertical accelerations on the bicycle. If there are a lot of these small obstacles, then it will be better to minimize these energy losses over minimizing the rolling resistance. If the road is perfectly smooth, stick to narrow and high pressure.

Add to that even under the identical conditions the results will vary with tires. Supple tires with thin treads don't suffer as much in flex loss as tires with thicker walls, belts under the tread or simply thicker treads. So a tire type and width best suited for racing may be very different than one best suited for touring or general purpose.

There's plenty of science, but for questions like this we have to look to the art of applying that science most effectively.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-09-16, 02:52 PM
rpenmanparker 

Interestingly, rolling resistance actually incorporates the effects of road imperfections. Rolling resistance is not just friction but includes every source of power loss at the wheel-road interface. So there are frictional contributions to Crr as well as disconnections between the wheel and the road causing an increase in Crr.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-09-16, 02:53 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Add to that even under the identical conditions the results will vary with tires. Supple tires with thin treads don't suffer as much in flex loss as tires with thicker walls, belts under the tread or simply thicker treads. So a tire type and width best suited for racing may be very different than one best suited for touring or general purpose.

There's plenty of science, but for questions like this we have to look to the art of applying that science most effectively.
True. Alas, we all want to be told what is universally 'best' without having to give it too much thought.
Old 10-09-16, 02:54 PM
PepeM

Interestingly, rolling resistance actually incorporates the effects of road imperfections. Rolling resistance is not just friction but includes every source of power loss at the wheel-road interface. So there are frictional contributions to Crr as well as disconnections between the wheel and the road causing an increase in Crr.
Depends what you're measuring and how you are measuring it. Hard to include the effects of road imperfections when using a smooth drum.
Old 10-09-16, 02:58 PM
HTupolev

Depends what you're measuring and how you are measuring it. Hard to include the effects of road imperfections when using a smooth drum.
It's also hard to completely include the effects of road imperfections when using a rough drum. Tests like bicyclerollingresistance don't see the kinds of results that Silca or Bicycle Quarterly got even though they use a surface made from diamond-plate steel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.