Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scott Solace Owners Report!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 12:36 AM
Trucker Dan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't be the only one. The perfect mix between an old man bike and a race bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3598.jpg (83.6 KB, 520 views)
Old 05-01-16, 09:01 AM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Whats up fellow Solace owner. I think its a great mix of sport/comfort and how the heck are you that flexible?? Ha ha. Look at my setup.
Old 05-01-16, 07:04 PM
Trucker Dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
Whats up fellow Solace owner. I think its a great mix of sport/comfort and how the heck are you that flexible?? Ha ha. Look at my setup.
I'm 6'3, any bike I ride ends up looking a bit odd. It least the headtube on the solace is long enough that I don't need a giant stack of spacers. You must have short legs compared to the rest of your body. Your saddle is really low compared to a relatively long reach.

How do you like the discs? Mine are great but the front makes some noise occasionally. The front rotor was slightly bent when new and I don't think the shop was able to get it straight enough.
Old 05-01-16, 07:25 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Discs are OK, nothing special to me. I don't find that they stop much better than rim brakes. But they do look better than rim brakes.
Old 05-02-16, 12:38 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
2015 Scott Solace 30 owner here.Size 58cm

I'm about 6' 2 1/2".short legs and long torso for my height.And I like to ride more upright these days.
47 weekend warrior and like to ride 40 miles or more.
I put about 800 miles on it so far and really like the feel of frame.Changed out the saddle.
Going to add A longer steam and wider bars.

Stack is prefect.Reach is A just A little short.Going to change to A 130 stem and should be close to right reach.
Rode A 2004 Giant TCR(XL,way to big) and 2005 Orbea Marmolada 60cm(really good fit) before I bought the Scott.
I also ride hybrid and single speed for shorter trips.

Picture of it stock next to my TCR.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139101546@N06/?

Originally Posted by Trucker Dan
I can't be the only one. The perfect mix between an old man bike and a race bike.

I'm more old man.That setup would kill my back.What size do you ride? And nice Scott.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 05-02-16 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-02-16, 01:22 AM
Trucker Dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
2015 Scott Solace 30 owner here.Size 58cm

I'm about 6' 2 1/2".short legs and long torso for my height.And I like to ride more upright these days.
47 weekend warrior and like to ride 40 miles or more.
I put about 800 miles on it so far and really like the feel of frame.Changed out the saddle.
Going to add A longer steam and wider bars.

Stack is prefect.Reach is A just A little short.Going to change to A 130 stem and should be close to right reach.
Rode A 2004 Giant TCR(XL,way to big) and 2005 Orbea Marmolada 60cm(really good fit) before I bought the Scott.
I also ride hybrid and single speed for shorter trips.

Picture of it stock next to my TCR.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139101546@N06/?

I'm more old man.That setup would kill my back.What size do you ride? And nice Scott.
I'm 6'3 with long legs and size 14 shoes. I have a shorter torso. The bike is a 58. My priorities changed and I decided I didn't need a stupidly uncomfortable race bike anymore.

I like a narrow bar and they make a huge aerodynamical difference. I ride a 40 cm now. I used to run 38s on my race bike. Lots of pros are switching to 38cm bars. You should stick with the narrowest bars you can ride if speed is important.
Old 05-02-16, 02:05 PM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Solace disc owner here too. Nice bike. Really like the soft ride in the back. I am 6'4" and am riding a 58 which is what they call XL.
Anyone else have to clearance the derailleur hanger so as to slide the rear wheel in without interference. Used to be a pain till i milled the clearance needed.
Other than that the bike has been excellent. Need to silence the internal brake hose to frame noise next. Can be annoying on certain types of bumpy roads.
Otherwise I really like the new bike a lot.

Last edited by stevoo; 05-02-16 at 02:07 PM. Reason: fix wording
Old 09-30-16, 09:27 AM
RIC0
PBR Racing

Bikes: Santa Cruz and Cannondale

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
Discs are OK, nothing special to me. I don't find that they stop much better than rim brakes. But they do look better than rim brakes.

Dats crazy talk. Hydro brakes are FAR superior to silly rim brakes. They can't even be compared if you ask me.

Anywho, just picked up a 2017 Solace 10 model this week and HOLY CRAP is this thing all that an a bag a fries. I'm a mountain biker by nature but this new sweet ride makes me wanna go shave my legs and call myself a roadie.. Ok maybe not that far but wow are these bikes amazing.
Old 10-26-16, 01:00 PM
Bucknuckle

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=RIC0;19092129]Dats crazy talk. Hydro brakes are FAR superior to silly rim brakes. They can't even be compared if you ask me.

Anywho, just picked up a 2017 Solace 10 model this week and HOLY CRAP is this thing all that an a bag a fries. I'm a mountain biker by nature but this new sweet ride makes me wanna go shave my legs and call myself a roadie.. Ok maybe not that far but wow are these bikes amazing.

How do you like your Solace 10? I am looking to get one real soon. I'm coming off an old alum frame trek.
Old 10-26-16, 01:16 PM
RIC0
PBR Racing

Bikes: Santa Cruz and Cannondale

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Bucknuckle;19149717]
Originally Posted by RIC0
Dats crazy talk. Hydro brakes are FAR superior to silly rim brakes. They can't even be compared if you ask me.

How do you like your Solace 10? I am looking to get one real soon. I'm coming off an old alum frame trek.

I came from an Aluminum frame cannondale which was a great bike.

This new solace is unreal. Worth every penny spent. The ride in general is so much smoother, faster, grippier than the older bike. From the wider 28mm tires holding turns like a crotchrocket, to the brakes stopping on a dime, to the lack of road vibration even with aluminum bars. It's stunning to say the least. I can promise you 100% you'll be like this every time you sit on it. On top of them looking badass and compliments pour in everytime I get around other riders.
Old 10-27-16, 04:05 PM
Bucknuckle

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=RIC0;19149762]
Originally Posted by Bucknuckle

I came from an Aluminum frame cannondale which was a great bike.

This new solace is unreal. Worth every penny spent. The ride in general is so much smoother, faster, grippier than the older bike. From the wider 28mm tires holding turns like a crotchrocket, to the brakes stopping on a dime, to the lack of road vibration even with aluminum bars. It's stunning to say the least. I can promise you 100% you'll be like this every time you sit on it. On top of them looking badass and compliments pour in everytime I get around other riders.
Hey did you ever happen to weight your Solace? What was it?
Old 10-27-16, 06:17 PM
Anti404

Bikes: 2015 Scott Solace 30, 2007 CAAD9 Optimo 1

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up a NOS 2015 Scott Solace 30. Still dialing in the fit - waiting on a 90mm stem. Very nice bike so far, I want to replace the wheels with something a little wider and lighter, and don't really like the looks of the non-series crank (aesthetics, I know...).
Old 10-29-16, 10:25 AM
screamtone
This one goes to 11

Bikes: Scott Solace 30, Kona Sutra, Jamis Beatnik, Dahon folder

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anti404
Picked up a NOS 2015 Scott Solace 30. Still dialing in the fit - waiting on a 90mm stem. Very nice bike so far, I want to replace the wheels with something a little wider and lighter, and don't really like the looks of the non-series crank (aesthetics, I know...).
I have a 2015 Solace 30, and I love it. I replaced the stock wheels with Ultegra's, and the crank with Ultegra, and that took over a pound off the bike.

Last edited by screamtone; 10-31-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 06:50 AM
Anti404

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by screamtone
I have a 2015 Solace 30, and I love it. I replaced the stock wheels with Ultegra's, and the crank with Ultegra, and that took over a pound of the bike.

Cool stuff, I planned to get a set of the RS-81 or Ultegra wheelsets and either a 105 or Ultegra crankset. Hard to tell from the picture, but does the Ultegra crankset match the aesthetics of the bike well? I wasn't sure how the dark grey would look with black 105 and the black/white/green scheme of the bike.
Old 10-30-16, 07:22 AM
screamtone
This one goes to 11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anti404
Cool stuff, I planned to get a set of the RS-81 or Ultegra wheelsets and either a 105 or Ultegra crankset. Hard to tell from the picture, but does the Ultegra crankset match the aesthetics of the bike well? I wasn't sure how the dark grey would look with black 105 and the black/white/green scheme of the bike.
They gray crankset doesn't standout too much, but there's also that same shade of gray with the Ultegra wheels, so it all kind of works.

I could not believe how heavy that stock crankset was when I took it off.

How is the braking on yours? That's my only real problem with the bike, and my next planned upgrade.
Old 10-30-16, 07:54 AM
Anti404

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That makes sense, I'm just not a huge fan of the RS-500 chainset.

The front braking is perfect, but I find the rear braking not so good; I'm not sure if it is the quality of the Tektro brake or just that the oddly oriented direct mount brake is difficult to adjust and get the proper angle.
Old 10-31-16, 06:04 PM
screamtone
This one goes to 11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone here with a non-disc Solace here been able to fit 700X28 tires on their bike? I emailed Scott and they said 25's were the largest tires spec'd for that frame, but it might work depending on the wheel set and brand of tire. I'm a little concerned that even if I could get 28's on the bike that they would rub when the seat stays flexed (the flexy seat stays are one of my favorite things about this bike, btw). Just wondering if anyone has experience with this.
Old 06-23-17, 05:44 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I see no one has posted here for months, but since I just joined the Scott Solace club I thought I'd see if any of y'all are still around.

I just (surprisingly) bought a NOS 2014 Solace 10. I have ridden a ridiculous number of endurance bikes in my hunt for one, and the Solace clearly fit me better and just had a ride that spoke to me more so than any of the other contenders. The Cannondale Synapse was close, but the Solace just fit me perfectly. The price was excellent as well which didn't hurt the decision making process.

No pics just yet because I'm not going to take it home until Tuesday of next week. But that's going to be a fun day!