Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Daytime Lights

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Daytime Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 01:51 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts
For the past year I have been running fixed "marker lights" on the front and rear for daytime and night-time general roadway use, and have a separate strap-on torch to light the MUP or dark roads at night-time. These lights do not fit the OP's budget, but FWIW, here they are:

1. Front and rear markers: Sparse.cc "fixed light" system
2. Light and Motion 500 lumen torch with a custom light-shielding cowl.

The Sparse fixed lights are great as marker lights, because they are difficult to steal (2 years on my urban bike so far), so no need to fuss with taking them on and off, also they have various blinking and steady modes and are USB charged.

The Sparse headlight is not good for lighting the road however, therefore my need for the separate torch.
Old 10-15-16, 01:57 PM
Papa Tom

Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
So what is your conclusion so far?

Personally I'm ambivalent. I'll run the headlight if I have it and I'm not saving the battery for later, but I don't sweat it if I don't.
No real conclusion. That's my point in Post #98, I suppose.

Today, I went to check out some rear lights at a pretty large LBS. As expected, the salesperson knew absolutely nothing about the thousands of dollars worth of lights on display in the middle of the store and suggested that I research them on the Internet. This is why I rarely ever actually BUY any of the things I ask about on these forums.

One thing I noticed: Most of the rear lights have cheapo little clips now, rather than hardware to mount them on a rack. I'm wondering if I should just wait until I find the light I want on the side of the road.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 10-15-16 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 02:32 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
No real conclusion. That's my point in Post #98, I suppose.

Today, I went to check out some rear lights at a pretty large LBS. As expected, the salesperson knew absolutely nothing about the thousands of dollars worth of lights on display in the middle of the store and suggested that I research them on the Internet. This is why I rarely ever actually BUY any of the things I ask about on these forums.

One thing I noticed: Most of the rear lights have cheapo little clips now, rather than hardware to mount them on a rack. I'm wondering if I should just wait until I find the light I want on the side of the road.
Mine is zip-tied to the seat stays. The other has a zip-tie around the clip on the rack plate, so I don't really care how secure those clips are. I figure as long as I have red blinking, and it won't fall off, then I'm golden.
Old 10-18-16, 01:00 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
They are blinding, and annoying, and dangerous to other riders. And annoying. And painful if you're on the MUP at dusk.

Users think they really grab the attention of oncoming traffic; true, but they make it hard to see anything else.
Please re read OP's post. Daytime use. They are not brighter than the sun. Try sunglasses and/or look away for a few seconds.
Old 10-18-16, 01:08 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Well, they are. I agree that they have no business on a MUP at night but then I feel that bicycles...well not bicycles per say but lights in general...have no business on a MUP at night.

In my area many MUPs are closed at night anyway but people still use them. Pedestrians that are walking on the MUP without lights but under the benefit of "real" night vision are immediately plunged into darkness when exposed to any light...low intensity or otherwise. And it takes from 30 to 45 minutes for them to readapt their night vision to the level it was before. It may take 15 to 20 minutes to be able to see well enough to stumble along.

Even if you are running a light that puts out 50 lumens...which is really, really dim...you've ruined the night vision of someone who isn't using lights. More light doesn't change that equation, so I avoid using MUPs at night time. It's the courteous thing to do.

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]

Perhaps the Denver metro area is darker than other cities but I really doubt that based on my experiences in other parts of the US. That said, there are enough dark places on my commute to and from work along "lighted" streets, that having a "flashing light pointed...at the road surface" would mean that I'd have significant stretches of dark riding and pothole surprises.

On the other hand, if I'm riding in a well-illuminated area, I want to be noticed by the drivers. I'm not worried about their night vision...they don't have any...but I want to stand out against a sea of other light sources. I have no problem with confusing drivers into thinking that I'm another car or a truck or a train off the tracks. When I'm approaching them, I want them to think twice about how big this thing coming at them is and stop to think about pulling out in front of it.

It's kind of the puffer fish approach to riding at night so, yes, my lights are a kind of force shield.
Ugg, agree to disagree. Multi Use Path, that's how peds and bikers get home in the dark around here. Lights 24/7. How am I supposed to see the peds who have no lights or reflective gear? Lights works for me. I run a light on the helmet and a steady and blinking light on the bar. The Boston mups are for commuters, they don't close. No night vision with bikes, houses, cars and street lights. They could just flip the phone they are staring at to light up the ground.
Old 10-18-16, 01:14 PM
Leebo

Originally Posted by rhm
On the bikes that have a switch on the dynamo light, I leave it on all the time. On others, such as my commuter bike, there isn't a switch, so if the front wheel is turning, the lights are on.

I don't think helmet-mounted lights are much help for making the rider visible at night. I see them only as a disembodied light that doesn't make sense. Not so bad in the daylight, though.
Helmet lights are great for providing a higher light, like say over the roof or hood of a car. Also for the rider, the helmet light can turn with the head to see the turn before the bars do. A light on the bars and helmet make for better depth perception on road bumps and holes. And finally the helmet light can " get " the attention of the idiot drivers. YRMV.
Old 10-18-16, 01:24 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 578 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Helmet lights are great for providing a higher light, like say over the roof or hood of a car. Also for the rider, the helmet light can turn with the head to see the turn before the bars do. A light on the bars and helmet make for better depth perception on road bumps and holes. And finally the helmet light can " get " the attention of the idiot drivers. YRMV.
I agree that a helmet mounted light is excellent for helping its wearer to see things, and of course, as you say, the wearer can use it --almost as a weapon-- to get someone's attention. That's all to the good; certainly a useful tool.

My point was something else. Namely that, regardless whether you wear a helmet mounted light, your bike should wear the standard lights that make it recognizable as a bike. The helmet light cannot reliably do that.
Old 10-18-16, 01:59 PM
Leebo

Originally Posted by rhm
I agree that a helmet mounted light is excellent for helping its wearer to see things, and of course, as you say, the wearer can use it --almost as a weapon-- to get someone's attention. That's all to the good; certainly a useful tool.

My point was something else. Namely that, regardless whether you wear a helmet mounted light, your bike should wear the standard lights that make it recognizable as a bike. The helmet light cannot reliably do that.
Not just the helmet light , bar too. Around here, bike helmet+bar lights are the standard. Add wheel lights too.
Old 10-24-16, 02:21 PM
Papa Tom

From the OP:

OK, so let's say you just received a $50 Amazon gift certificate for donating red blood cells and you plan to spend it (and not a penny more) on a new rear blinkie that will attach to your Topeak MTX rack and will provide kick--ss daytime visibility. In as few words as possible, which rear blinkie do you order?
Old 10-24-16, 03:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
From the OP:

OK, so let's say you just received a $50 Amazon gift certificate for donating red blood cells and you plan to spend it (and not a penny more) on a new rear blinkie that will attach to your Topeak MTX rack and will provide kick--ss daytime visibility. In as few words as possible, which rear blinkie do you order?
FYA, I just spent about $50 for a new rear blinkie, posted about it, and got lambasted, even before I used it. Nonetheless, I’m happyabout the purchase, and look forward to posting a rebuttal, after I have usedit (in a couple days).

BTW, I'm familiar with blood transfusions...did you really get a $50 gift certificate of donating "red blood cells"? I believe paid donors have been forbidden for decades now, though I think you may be able to get paid for plasma for non-transfusion purposes.
Old 10-24-16, 03:47 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,239 Times in 1,745 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
BTW, I'm familiar with blood transfusions...did you really get a $50 gift certificate of donating "red blood cells"? I believe paid donors have been forbidden for decades now, though I think you may be able to get paid for plasma for non-transfusion purposes.
I don't get paid, but I get "gifts" for being a regular donor and keeping appointments. Mostly DVDs and books, T-shirts and movie tickets, but the biggest gift is a $25 gift card.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 10-24-16 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 04:01 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FYA, I just spent about $50 for a new rear blinkie, posted about it, and got lambasted, even before I used it. Nonetheless, I’m happyabout the purchase, and look forward to posting a rebuttal, after I have usedit (in a couple days).

Which blinkie did you get? Is it daytime bright?

I did an "Automated Red Cell" donation, as I do every few months without any sort of compensation. This time, they asked me which $50 gift certificate I would like - Amazon, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, or Dunkin' Donuts. Knowing I wanted to upgrade my blinkie, I didn't argue.
Old 10-24-16, 04:43 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by American Euchre
I have the Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 rear red LED. It's pretty easy to find at or under $50 online.
The Cygolite Hotshot seems to be a popular one on this forum. But it won't mount to my rear rack, right?

Last edited by Papa Tom; 10-24-16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 07:52 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'd probably buy two lights, an Axiom Pulse 60 ($30) and a Blitzu 168T ($19).

One rear light is NOT ENOUGH.

Put the Axiom on steady down load and the Blitzu blinking on your helmet.

This is what I'm running currently. I've been through a lot of lights and most of them are retired now.

I do have the Fly6 on the back, blinking away too, but it's not a primary light.
Old 10-25-16, 03:45 PM
Papa Tom

I wish everything didn't have to be so damned difficult. Cygolite makes a blinkie model called the Hotshot Pro 150 USB for about $43 on Amazon. They also make a bazillion other models, including other Hotshots with the numbers 50, 80, etc after them (which I assume is the lumen rating?).

I want something really bright for daytime riding, but it doesn't have to be brighter than "bright enough." More importantly, I want one that can be mounted to my Topeak Explorer rack, which I know will require some kind of mounting accessory.

Without suggesting lights other than the Cygolite Hotshot, can somebody help me make up my mind and be done with this stupidity already?

Old 10-25-16, 04:12 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Just buy something.

I guarantee that no matter what you buy, you will at some point wish you bought something else. Eventually you'll be like the rest of us and have a dozen taillights and 4 or 5 headlights.

You will NEVER get any kind of consensus here because some people think there's no such thing as bright enough unless you're lighting shrubs on fire as you ride by, and others are afraid of offending light sensitive vampires on the MUP.
Old 10-25-16, 04:22 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Just buy something.

I guarantee that no matter what you buy, you will at some point wish you bought something else. Eventually you'll be like the rest of us and have a dozen taillights and 4 or 5 headlights.

You will NEVER get any kind of consensus here because some people think there's no such thing as bright enough unless you're lighting shrubs on fire as you ride by, and others are afraid of offending light sensitive vampires on the MUP.
Great advice. I really should just go into my LBS, look at no more than three items, and buy one. But in this case, it's sort of an impulse buy based on having a $50 Amazon gift card, so I have to make this purchase without the benefit of actually seeing the thing blink. Most people, in all my research, seem to recommend the CygoLite Hot Shot, so I thought it'd be simple to just buy that. But then I see that there are 5 or 6 Hot Shot models and no good explanations as to how they differ. Plus, I finally get what I thought was an answer as to whether the Hot Shot can be mounted on a Topeak Explorer rack and now I can't confirm that THIS particular Hot Shot will mount to that rack because, apparently, they are all different.

As I said earlier, this is why I never end up buying anything -- and maybe why people don't buy as much as they used to. Hey, bike lighting industry...just give me two choices and I PROMISE I will pick one!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-16, 11:03 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Just buy something.

I have 2 tail lights - one for each bicycle.

I also have 2 front lights - same.

No regrets. CatEye rear light - any that has at least 3 LEDs in it. Most are rain (and downpoor) resistant.

Front light - on one bicycle I use a flashlight, on a flashlight mount placed on handlebars. Good light, rechargeable AA batteries. On the other, a dedicated bicycle LED battery light.
Old 10-25-16, 11:39 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Cygolite Hotshot seems to be a popular one on this forum. But it won't mount to my rear rack, right?
Cygolite has a rack mount. I don't know if it will fit your rack. Check your rack and the mount eyelets. I don't even know if this mount is compatible with the 150. It probably is. Call cygolite and find out. There is a model number in the amazon listing.

https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Rack...ite+rack+mount
Old 10-25-16, 11:40 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish everything didn't have to be so damned difficult. Cygolite makes a blinkie model called the Hotshot Pro 150 USB for about $43 on Amazon. They also make a bazillion other models, including other Hotshots with the numbers 50, 80, etc after them (which I assume is the lumen rating?).

I want something really bright for daytime riding, but it doesn't have to be brighter than "bright enough." More importantly, I want one that can be mounted to my Topeak Explorer rack, which I know will require some kind of mounting accessory.

Without suggesting lights other than the Cygolite Hotshot, can somebody help me make up my mind and be done with this stupidity already?

Both the cygolite and niterider offer 150 lumens, very close to the dinotte lights, at a quarter of the price. You will need two tail lights anyway: one for the bike, one for the helmet. Get both. You'll still be paying less than half the price of a single dinotte.

The niterider has better side lighting, while some think the cygo is brighter straight on. Get both and get the best of both worlds.
Old 10-26-16, 07:35 AM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I am NOT a fan of the original Hot Shot. It has a lot of fans and when it was new it was one of the best, but IMO it's too spotty, and there are better lights out there now.

I'm currently a BIG fan of the Blitzu 168T, < $20 on Amazon. Given the choice between the two (I own both) I would take the Blitzu (in fact I do, every morning when I leave the Hot Shot at home). It has a 180 degree light spread, and I'm coming around to the view that a physically larger light makes as much difference as brightness. The Blitzu does both.

I do use the Hot Shot as my low mounted, steady light if I forgot to charge or can't find the Axiom that I usually use there.

If I had to keep the choice to conventionally shaped blinkies, I like the Performance Axiom Pulse 60, but it's not available on Amazon (Performance Bike sells it). The Portland Design Works lights always get good reviews too, if you want one that takes AAA cells.

Blitzu also has a conventionally shaped light if that's what you're looking for.
Old 10-26-16, 10:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,046 Times in 1,723 Posts
I'm currently a BIG fan of the Blitzu 168T, < $20 on Amazon.
Does it have a clip like the Hotshot and the PBSF? I usually hook my Hotshot to a fabric loop on the back of my tool bag which is mounted under my saddle.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-26-16, 11:12 AM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The Blitzu has a rubber band mount. This is great for mounting on most things (any bike tube, and it worked for my helmet by looping through vents) but it doesn't work on a fabric loop.

It'd be pretty trivial to 3D print a mount I suppose. I'll have to see if I can whip one up.
Old 10-26-16, 01:10 PM
exarkuhn15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a fan of non-flashing, dynamo lights. I use mine 24/7; they're just always on.

I know that is not your setup, but some of the good, Euro-style dynamo lights come in battery versions, as seen here.

I like these lights for all-around use, particularly the Top Light Line version that I use because it makes a wide, steady light. Not a pinpoint light, it makes a wide, bright surface area of light, making it very noticeable, and very easy to gauge distance because the fresnel lens makes a line of light, not a dot of light.

They're rack-mounted, and battery powered, made in Germany. May not be your cup of tea if you really want a blinking light, but I just go with one light all the time - a big bright one on the rear rack with a nice lens that spreads the light rather than making one bright point. Seems to work well.
Old 10-26-16, 01:31 PM
allan6344

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I too am a fan of dynamo lights (front and back), 24/7, 365. I never never worry about the batteries. In winter, I add a Vis360 helmet light for areas with a lot of driveways or cross streets for extra emphasis but the dynamo lights do the main work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.