Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New bicycle factory in Little Rock

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New bicycle factory in Little Rock

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 01:22 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I think it's far too easy these days to sit back in the comfort of our armchairs and say, "I support 'Made in America'" (Yes I'm Canadian, but as we're the biggest trading partners, I do support it nonetheless.).

While every blue-blooded American would say Henry Ford's cars were "Made in the USA", the rubber for the tires were not, such that he established the "Fordlandia" rubber plantation in Brazil to at least have ownership/control of rubber. That was in the late 20's, well before "globalization" was even a word, and before "post-industrialized" countries (as we are is today) existed.
Old 11-02-16, 03:00 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Custom ti designed and built by a sole proprietor 12 miles from my house in Philly. Not the cheapest, but it's what I wanted:
I understand...I ride a custom built steel Landshark - builder (John Slawta) is located in Oregon. I saved many years for the money to order the bike!

Your bike, BTW, is absolutely gorgeous. If one orders a custom bike, that's what it should look like!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 11-02-16, 03:01 PM
Sirrus17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
TCS, you're potentially opening up the proverbial can of worms.
agree
Old 11-02-16, 03:33 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 738 Times in 469 Posts
Greg LeMond started a carbon fiber manufacturing facility in Tennessee.

LeMond Composites marks opening in Oak Ridge
Old 11-02-16, 05:43 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 795 Times in 451 Posts
In principle I like buying made in the USA products, but I'm not constrained by a budget like most folks. I paid $2500 for my Kirby Sentria vacuum, which is ten times the cost of a Chinese made Hoover at Walmart. Sometimes, made in USA is only a bit more costly, but only available through contractors, since stores carry cheaper foreign made products as store brands to increase their profits. For example, I bought a USA made Bradford White gas water heater through a contractor instead of a Mexican made Rheem from Home Depot, and the difference in price was only 10%. I had never heard of Bradford White until the contractor told me about them.

As to made in USA bicycles I have quite a few, including a 1976 Schwinn Paramount P14, custom made Nobilette and Sparrow frames, and a recently acquired Wraith track frame made in Columbus Ohio. Of course in all cases the tubing was imported, as well as the majority of the components.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 11-02-16, 08:08 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Liked 1,978 Times in 1,138 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
TCS, you're potentially opening up the proverbial can of worms.
HIA Velo opening up shop in Little Rock is definitely cool, but call me when Chicago-based SRAM starts moving its manufacturing to N.A.
Old 11-02-16, 10:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,865 Times in 2,509 Posts
I will agree that a component set manufactured in North America would be great.
In the meantime, I will continue to support made in the usa frames for new purchases.
USA frames = Co-Motion tandem, Calfee, Macalu Ti, Tallerico.
Old 11-04-16, 09:50 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I really dig it when people are making money manufacturing/assembling/selling bikes and bike stuff in the US, even if most of the bike is actually made overseas. It creates a sense among officials that cycling is important to their local economy, which helps all of us that ride. In that spirit, I hope this new venture makes a mint and employs thousands.
Old 05-15-17, 11:30 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Liked 860 Times in 412 Posts
The media has entered the building: Handmade in America and shipped to your door: Allied Alfa - BikeRadar

And the website is basically showing me that I can get a premium for "at market" prices. For instance, the Alfa Ultegra Di2 build at $5k is fairly priced against a Cervelo R3 Di2 (bit better, actually). Glad to see U.S. ingenuity making a mark here. Give 'em a look, folks.
https://alliedcycleworks.com/allied-alfa/

--tm
Old 05-15-17, 11:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Orbia , In the Basque region comes from a place where there are a lot of worker managed Co Operatives
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondragon_Corporation

Are the people there all owners in the company or did they come here because labor can be paid less,
and the shipping distance costs to retailers are minimal .. IE regular corporate structures..

Old 08-07-17, 08:28 PM
dylsey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm test riding the Allied Alpha tomorrow. I'm pretty excited.
Old 08-08-17, 10:56 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Liked 75 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by dylsey
I'm test riding the Allied Alpha tomorrow. I'm pretty excited.
Like to here your impression. I like the idea of the + models with a bit longer HT.

scott s.
Old 08-09-17, 10:46 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,865 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
I understand...I ride a custom built steel Landshark - builder (John Slawta) is located in Oregon.
I support this philosophy.

Buy local is ALWAYS the best way to buy, even if a few $ more. I purchased a Calfee that was built less than 10 miles from where I lived, not sure where the carbon tubes came from but i suspect Utah. Later, a custom steel from Jon Tallerico, who was less than an hour away, Columbus (italian made???) tubes, USA lugs. My Ti is USA made frame&tubes and Co-Motion obviously from Eugene.

All current vintage purchased used. My attempt to keep the landfills empty of quality framesets.