Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Carpal tunnel surgery 8 weeks ago

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 02:40 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just a quick comment and follow up. I posted back in July about having CTS on my right hand early August. At that time, both hands were bothering me, but the right hand was far worse on a day-to-day basis, which seems logical since I'm right hand dominant. Riding was becoming challenging at times, because my hands would be so numb I couldn't shift. Other trivial life events where a struggle too - I couldn't for example, often answer my iPhone in the middle of the night, turn off the alarm clock function on it, etc. my hands would be too numb to manipulate the phone properly.

So, it's been a good thing. I'm a happy boy - even though the surgeon had to do the "open" method, so about a 2 inch incision, it was instant relief from the numbness and pain.

Now, only my left hand bothers me when I ride or otherwise - the incision on my right hand bothers me a little bit at the gym when I do things that put pressure on that area, such as push-ups.

Looking forward to having the left done in December.
Old 10-07-16, 05:50 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Glad to hear all went well. Now get out and ride.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-07-16, 09:09 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Liked 812 Times in 515 Posts
Good for you. Second thumb's up comes when left side is done.
Old 10-09-16, 11:37 AM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Like many, many other folks, I have/had CTS (Carpel Tunnel Syndrome). Both hands.

Within five miles of riding, both hands would begin to become numb (thumb & first three fingers).

Two months ago I had my first (arthroscopic) surgery, on my left hand, and it was a complete success. Not having stitches across my lower palm was a great advantage: I was able to ride eight days after the operation. – I strongly recommend the arthroscopic procedure!

A couple of weeks ago (six weeks after surgery), Nancy and I took a six mile ride near our home. At about five miles, my non-surgery right hand became numb; the surgeried (is that a word) left hand was, well, fine. No pain, no numbness, no – nothing.

If: your hands get numb while riding, there is a problem. It may be a fitting problem, but – it may be CTS.

Joe
Old 10-09-16, 11:47 AM
doctor j

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for reports. I may be facing this before long.
Old 10-09-16, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Who would have thought that my lousy Typing/ Keyboard skills and my lack of getting a computer decades ago when all the companies were getting going..

has left me poorer but the carpal tinnel tendons not overused .. 69 next week..
Old 11-11-16, 07:32 AM
Bob Nichols

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to have that done. My right hand goes numb quite often, especially when riding my bike or playing my guitar. Makes me not want to ride. I went to the doc and he said I did have a bad case of CT. Trying to set up a time now. I'm 71.
Old 11-11-16, 08:51 AM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, I'm actually coming up in a month on the left hand. Believe me, it's something I am literally looking forward to. As far as pain/etc - basically, having a filling done is a bigger trauma in my book, this was nothing, easy as pie, and the relief in my right hand was so dramatic and instaneous. So, glad that both hands will be resolved.

To anyone contemplating, I say go for it.
Old 11-11-16, 01:59 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Liked 812 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Nichols
I need to have that done. My right hand goes numb quite often, especially when riding my bike or playing my guitar. Makes me not want to ride. I went to the doc and he said I did have a bad case of CT. Trying to set up a time now. I'm 71.
I assume() the doc you mention is a neurologist who performed an EMG to verify that it is CT. Correct????
Old 11-11-16, 02:20 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I assume() the doc you mention is a neurologist who performed an EMG to verify that it is CT. Correct????
I can't imagine insurance covering it if the required diagnostic testing wasn't done first, and done by the proper provider. Obviously, I had that done before the first one, on both hands, by a neurologist as you say.

Also, my insurance requires a second consultation by the hand surgeon within 30 days of the surgery date, so that is next week - that is a waste of time and resources -- it hasn't spontaneously resolved since July, lol.
Old 11-11-16, 03:12 PM
Bob Nichols

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My doctor sent me to the neurologist and had the shock test.