Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Wash DC!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Greetings from Wash DC!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 07:18 PM
TheCharm 

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Greetings from Wash DC!

Hello all:

Stopping in for the obligatory hello.

I rode a bike from the time I was a pre-teen on my Schwinn cromoly BMX to a steel framed Raleigh the few miles between my group house and my college campus in the late 1980s. Then for some reason, on graduation, I just stopped. Started career, got married, etc.

Then I started riding again on a Trek 7.3FX fitness/hybrid bike in 2011 because I was getting fat and doughy due to a mostly sedentary lifestyle. After a couple of years realizing that my riding was relegated mostly to weekends due to a dreadful commute from the outer 'burbs of DC which didn't leave a lot of time for cycling, I and my wife moved into the city here in DC to be closer to work and put me on a bike 5 days a week for commuting.

It has turned my life around in more ways than one.

I now commute year-round on a Surly Disc Trucker, and I also use the same bike for recreation, exercise/fitness, errands, and light touring (with an eye towards increasing that next year). According to Strava, I've logged around 5,500k this year, and will plan for more next year.

I've added some stuff and things to my bike, which I know everyone will want to read about, and as I get around to it I'll post pics and mods list, once I find the appropriate forum for that

Happy to be here and make y'alls acquaintance. Look forward to talking bikes with many of you.
Old 11-14-16, 08:46 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,244 Times in 1,506 Posts
Welcome.

I spent twenty years commuting from NoVa to DC. I do envy you and your wife's lifestyle living in the city.

Spend time browsing here. I'm sure you'll enjoy the commuting forum and the hybrid one as well. But check it all out.

Stan
Old 11-15-16, 06:13 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
welcome to the forums
Old 11-15-16, 07:30 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome aboard, you sound like a hard core, dedicated commuter, that is a good thing in my book. Our daughter has become a car free, cycling commuter, in Atlanta. Good to have you join in with us.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-15-16, 07:56 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums. Glad you joined us. Have fun.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.